Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What round will Tim Tebow be taken in the upcoming NFL draft?
First 19 20.88%
Second 30 32.97%
Third 27 29.67%
4th or 5th 14 15.38%
6th or 7th 1 1.10%
Not drafted 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Question Bell, Biv, Tebow

Sorry about the other thread.

There are a lot of questions I could ask about this guy, but I boiled it down to the simplest one. I promise to bump this thread in 5 months to see how you guys did. Thanks for your participation.

Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Now you know.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think he's an obvious candidate for "drafted higher than his measurables would suggest" just based on the college hoopla and perhaps the continued intrigue over the wildcat offense in the league. I honestly don't know how he will grade out as a true NFL QB prospect, especially compared to a guy like Pat White, but overall my best guess here is that we see him land somewhere around pick #50, even though the "experts" think he's a lower graded prospect overall.

But all things considered, I'd probably be tempted with a non-foundation level pick to give him a look, especially if I were GM for a team in the south. Probably not round one, but after that, fair game, I think, pretty much no matter what the combine and scouts say.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

...by the way, I haven't heard anyone suggest this elsewhere, but there seems to be some potential for Tebow to land into a Jim Jensen style role in the NFL. He could be a backup QB, occasional FB/TE/H-back, maybe return the occasional punt, maybe play a bit of WR, and who knows what. As a likely popular guy and good team leader, he might provide some real value that way even if the scouts are correct and he is not a 1st-and-10 quarterback in the NFL.

I think it would be cool as hell to have a guy like that in the NFL, who on a given week actually gets a few pass attempts, maybe a few carries, a few receptions, and maybe a few returns.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Drake
assmaster

I tend to think that if you get Tebow in the right situation where there's a coach with a creative offensive mind and a willingness to scheme toward his strengths for 10-15 plays a game and otherwise utilize him as Quik suggests above, Tebow could end up with a nice career.

Tebow just strikes me as one of those kids who does not quit, will not accept failure and is always just wills himself to succeed. Those are great qualities to have in your locker room inspiring everyone around you to be better.

I'm really hoping that someone gives him more than a throwaway-pick shot. Heck, I'd be thrilled if the Colts picked him to backup Manning and used him as a TE and FB.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Now you know.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh and 1st rounder. People won't be able to resist that story. For better or worse, he's got instant appeal and so, people will experiment with what to do with him and try to find a way to make it work. Especially, as others suggested, a team in the south.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
...by the way, I haven't heard anyone suggest this elsewhere, but there seems to be some potential for Tebow to land into a Jim Jensen style role in the NFL. He could be a backup QB, occasional FB/TE/H-back, maybe return the occasional punt, maybe play a bit of WR, and who knows what. As a likely popular guy and good team leader, he might provide some real value that way even if the scouts are correct and he is not a 1st-and-10 quarterback in the NFL.

I think it would be cool as hell to have a guy like that in the NFL, who on a given week actually gets a few pass attempts, maybe a few carries, a few receptions, and maybe a few returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I tend to think that if you get Tebow in the right situation where there's a coach with a creative offensive mind and a willingness to scheme toward his strengths for 10-15 plays a game and otherwise utilize him as Quik suggests above, Tebow could end up with a nice career.

Football's actually fairly innovative when you place it next to, say, baseball. Sure, it might take a little time, but a new "fad" offense or defense comes around, spreads like wildfire, and eventually there are schemes against it every 10 or so years. Just think of the last 30 years, you've had the West Coast offense, the Spread in college, and the Cover-2 defense go in and out of vogue- still sticking on some places, going out of fashion in others. So you have a group of coaches more willing to go against orthodoxy than their peers.

All that said, now think of how that applies to Tebow and other players. How many times have we heard "if a coach gets creative" and comes up with new ways to utilize an individual player, they could revolutionize the game (or, to a lesser extent, be useful). Michael Vick, Reggie Bush, hell, Antwaan Randle El. All great athletes and very talented. However, it just doesn't seem like changing your entire scheme and basing it off of one player is a good idea. So, just off the cuff, this doesn't sound like a, well, sound plan.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-05-2009 at 09:51 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If Pat White can go in the 2nd round, Tebow will probably end up in the same area. I don't think he'll ever be a QB but as others have stated, he'll probably get some interest (cough, Jags, cough) from the fans.

I don't see him ever being more then a Wildcat QB who plays some H-Back at times but who knows.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i voted 3rd. some owner will want cheep pub and ticket sales (Jax, Mia). truth is he cant trow to well, has a long release and wont be a good runner in the pros. 5th or later is where he sould go
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Jacksonville will throw their 1st rd pick at him. Hell, remember Matt Jones?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Somewhere in the 25 to 45 range.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
Galaxy
Coordinator

How much has Tebow's success been due to the talent around him? With the talent at the NFL level more equal and the game speed much quicker, will it limit him?

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-05-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #14
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
All that said, now think of how that applies to Tebow and other players. How many times have we heard "if a coach gets creative" and comes up with new ways to utilize an individual player, they could revolutionize the game (or, to a lesser extent, be useful). Michael Vick, Reggie Bush, hell, Antwaan Randle El. All great athletes and very talented. However, it just doesn't seem like changing your entire scheme and basing it off of one player is a good idea. So, just off the cuff, this doesn't sound like a, well, sound plan.

SI

In all fairness, I wasn't talking about completely changing schemes or revolutionizing the game. I was talking about specialized schemes (along the lines of a wildcat package, not a whole wildcat offense). If Tebow projects out to a Randle El sort of multi-faceted player, I'd be very content with that.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
Atocep
Coordinator

I went with 3rd. Other than ESPN having him 2nd only to Favre in coverage I'm not sure what he brings to the NFL. He's not a QB at the next level and he's not that great of a runner.

If he can catch the ball a bit and is willing to block I can see a team giving him a look at H-Back.

Outside of that, what position does this guy play?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i hope they invite him to NY for the draft. we can have a repeat of Quinn and the ESPN blowhards can constantly circle jerk over him and wonder when he will be taken. and Suzie Kolber can have his kid.

then again im already sick of hearing about him, so i hope he stays far away from the draft
Old 12-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

No way Jacksonville passes up on him in the 3rd round.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If any team takes him in the first round they just wasted their pick. He does not have the skill to make it in the NFL.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I voted second round. But I'd boil it down to the last 10 picks of the second round or the first 10 picks of the third round. Is there an option to vote for that?
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
RedKingGold
College Starter

Remember Charlie Ward?

Exactly.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #21
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Remember Charlie Ward?

Exactly.

Charlie ward was the most overhyped college player ever too?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #22
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
No way Jacksonville passes up on him in the 2nd round.

Fixed.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Remember Charlie Ward?

Exactly.

Even the Knicks aren't that bad that they would put Tebow at PG.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Even the Knicks aren't that bad that they would put Tebow at PG.

Yes they are.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Yes they are.

What about the Nets?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #26
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Before the season, I was of the impression that his leadership and willingness to work by themselves would be reason enough to draft him high as a QB. Now, I feel like I have been mislead. This season he was not even close to the same guy he had been for the previous 2 seasons. Florida as a team didn't convince me of anything, and Alabama seemed to really expose the flaws in Tebows game yesterday. I don't know what exactly changed, and he still makes few mistakes overall, but in the pro game I don't know..

He still throws one of the most accurate long balls I have ever seen though. I'll go with high 3rd for a team looking to convert him to TE or FB/ H-Back, mid 4th for a team like Miami who could probably use him to his fullest potential in the Wildcat.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #27
Sgran
High School Varsity

I think first or second round. Some team will trade up to get him like the Browns did with Quinn. Bills, Raiders, Texans, Rams maybe. Some team will be convinced he's Vick without the dog fighting. OTOH, he sure does look on paper an awful lot like Alex Smith.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #28
Thomkal
Head Coach

If Carolina fires John Fox, and Tebow still on the board when they get their first pick in the second round, I can see the Panthers going for him.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #29
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Oh and 1st rounder. People won't be able to resist that story. For better or worse, he's got instant appeal and so, people will experiment with what to do with him and try to find a way to make it work. Especially, as others suggested, a team in the south.

This is a point.

On projected NFL impact, he's a 3rd, 4th, 5th rounder. Wayne Weaver will take him tomorrow to sell tickets. I do think that's the only franchise in such dire need of ticket sales (and who would get it from Tebow) however.

Although, Pat White did get selected in the second round based on his ability to run the Wildcat. While he is certainly not as dynamic a runner as White (although the stats say he was pretty damn effective) If you really wanted to throw out of that formation, Tebow is miles ahead of White as a thrower.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Tebow just strikes me as one of those kids who does not quit, will not accept failure and is always just wills himself to succeed. Those are great qualities to have in your locker room inspiring everyone around you to be better.

So he's the anti-Crouch?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #31
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
This is a point.

On projected NFL impact, he's a 3rd, 4th, 5th rounder. Wayne Weaver will take him tomorrow to sell tickets. I do think that's the only franchise in such dire need of ticket sales (and who would get it from Tebow) however.

Although, Pat White did get selected in the second round based on his ability to run the Wildcat. While he is certainly not as dynamic a runner as White (although the stats say he was pretty damn effective) If you really wanted to throw out of that formation, Tebow is miles ahead of White as a thrower.

Not sure about that. White got a lot of positive reports prior to the draft that he was doing a lot better in passing drills then people thought he would.

Last edited by Racer : 12-07-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #32
bhlloy
Coordinator

Assuming the Jags pick around 15-18 based on current standings, I think it's a no brainer that they will pick him up in the first round if somebody doesn't get to him first. At that pick it's not so ridiculously high that they will get panned for it and the team is desperate for a story that will sell some tickets. I agree with DC though - if not the Jags somebody is going to fall in love with the hype and the story and think he's worth a first rounder. Do we know if Al Davis likes Tebow? He's basically Jamarcus Russell with a bit less upside and we all know where he went in the draft.

What he ends up doing in the NFL - no clue. He's a nice piece for a creative OC to figure out how to get some touches. H-back, short yardage QB, some time in the spread and/or the wildcat. I don't think he'll have a long career (that nasty concussion must be a little worrying for a player that makes his living trying to run people over, and he's going to get hit a lot harder in the NFL than in college) but I do think he'll be productive in the short term and will give opposing coaches something to think about when he's on the field.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #33
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

This is my feeling as well. At least one of the thirty-whatever teams in the first round will feel they can utilize him in a way that makes him "The One".

Having said that, while I don't watch much college football, every time I've seen Tebow perform I find myself wondering why people think he'll succeed in the NFL.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #34
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
He's basically Jamarcus Russell with a bit less upside and we all know where he went in the draft.

The only way this comment makes any sense to me is if you are looking at what we have learned about Russell over the past few years. Leading up to the draft, this guy was viewed as a physical freak who had improved by leaps and bounds every month as a starter.

Tebow has been viewed as a limited quarterback for the past two years, with each additional game validating that opinion. Furthermore, he plays in a system that is doing him no favors in terms of preparing him for the pros. Good athlete, great intangibles, but no reason to think that he was even a 2nd rounder at QB if you were just looking at him as a "pure" pocket passer.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #35
bhlloy
Coordinator

It was more a tongue in cheek poke at the Raiders, but given what we know now where would you pick Russell and would you take him over Tebow?

(maybe that's a poll for another thread)
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #36
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm so, so glad that decade is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #37
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
If you really wanted to throw out of that formation, Tebow is miles ahead of White as a thrower.

I strongly disagree here. Pat White was an underrated passer coming out of WVU and doesn't have the long windup on his throws that Tebow has. Pat also threw the ball well at the Senior Bowl and threw the ball better than Mark Sanchez at the combine. Neither QB will be known for their passing in the NFL, but there's nothing that indicates Tebow is miles ahead of Pat White as a passer.

Pat's problem right now is he only had 1 year playing in an offense that asked him to make plays with his arm and he only took snaps from the shotgun. Tebow runs into the same problem with the shotgun. I can see Tebow taking snaps from under center combined with his windup being a disaster at the next level.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #38
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Remember Charlie Ward?

Exactly.

Charlie chose to play in the NBA because at the time the NFL didn't really respect his skill set.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #39
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, are there people out there convinced Tebow is going to become a regular NFL starter and should be drafted high?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #40
hhiipp
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So, are there people out there convinced Tebow is going to become a regular NFL starter and should be drafted high?

Really don't think he'll be anything special. However, if you were asking if he should be canonized ESPN will make sure that we have Saint Tebow, maybe even make it a national holiday.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #41
Passacaglia
Coordinator

The Patriots will draft Tebow in the third round, and hire Brett Favre as a quarterback coach. ESPN headquarters will explode.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #42
TroyF
Coordinator

I picked 3rd, though I think he could easily end up in the second.

Some of this is going to boil down to a team in the south grabbing him to sell tickets, Some will be the allure of having a guy who can do multiple things and be a good influence in the locker room.

If he shows anything. . . and I mean ANYTHING at all positive in the predraft camps, he could easily land himself in round one.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Considering Thom Brennaman last year said that spending 15 minutes with Tebow would change your life, and the amount of time to make each pick in the NFL draft is 15 minutes, Tebow will get the chance to change the lives of many draftees.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #44
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
The Patriots will draft Tebow in the third round, and hire Brett Favre as a quarterback coach. ESPN headquarters will explode.

I think you almost nailed it. I know ESPN pimps the Pats, but they really love their Cowboys. Cowboys draft him, sign Brett to be QB coach and hire a big name like Cowher or Shanahan?

Yikes. Get ready for meltdown.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #45
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I said third round. I think that the Matt Jones experience probably scared some people off from him.

I could see him being effective as a FB/HB/? in the NFL. Not a guy you build the team around, but a guy who can help you win. A fast fullback who can throw a deep ball is a nice guy to have on the team.

In terms of speed and ability to break tackles, how does he compare to Mike Alstott?

Oh, and Chuck Klosterman has a good essay in his latest book about how innovative football is compared to the other major sports.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #46
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I see him as similar to Roethlisberger in some ways. He'll extend plays by being difficult to bring down. And he'll be better than Ben at picking up yardage when he does scramble. I'm also convinced he's comparable as a pocket passer. He was let down by his receivers on a few key plays against Alabama (but simply made a poor throw on the late pick). And it's really tough to say that game was about anything other than the Florida defense being completely outclassed.

I think he can be very successful with the right sort of team. He won't work out in a precision timing offense, but surround him with athletes who understand that the defense will break down as Tebow extends plays and he'll be successful. Also, the prevalence of the shotgun in today's pro game is such that his background might be more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

I honestly don't think he's a gimmick/hybrid guy. He can be the starting quarterback for a good NFL team.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #47
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I think you almost nailed it. I know ESPN pimps the Pats, but they really love their Cowboys. Cowboys draft him, sign Brett to be QB coach and hire a big name like Cowher or Shanahan?

Yikes. Get ready for meltdown.

Shanahan would be good. Remember the frenzy when the Broncos signed Plummer? Also, his new innovation will be the jump pass. NFL defenses will never see it coming. "Hey what is he doing, jumping? Oh shit, he's throwing the ball!!!"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

Count me among those unimpressed with Pat White so far.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #49
Logan
Head Coach

Fuck you HB. This shit's been in my head for a full day.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #50
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your opinions. It seems that there's no real consensus on where he will go, other than it's likely to be before round 6. We shall see.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote