Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #351
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm not a fan of the dumb witch hunts that goes on after anyone says something they don't like. If you don't like him, don't listen to his show.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #352
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Fair enough, but you can't reasonably expect to go off on a tirade like that and expect your employer - whom you represent - not to react.

I would surmise that the firing isn't over this one isolated incident, rather this was the "enough is enough" moment, as Cumia has a very public history of rather virulent racism. It was simple - and dishonest imo - to just play it off as "part of the show" or "playing a character", but anyone who's listened to O&A for any amount of time - I've been a daily listener since they moved to the free side of XM - knows that Cumia has a very real issue with African Americans and has been using "I'm a character on a radio program" to hide behind it.

As a long-time listener, his rhetoric has been getting more visceral over the years and has been increasingly hard to listen to. But that doesn't matter one bit since, as a responsible adult, I can change the channel. But SiriusXM has the right not to have someone like Cumia represent them on the airwaves and has every right to fire him.

What this does to the show remains to be seen - Opie, Anthony, and Jim Norton have been very vocal about how they feel they've been poorly treated as on-air talents as well and have been operating in a sub-par environment (small studio, bad equipment, broken promises to improve, etc.) and the firling also comes across as a huge power play on the part of SXM.

I think Norton has established himself enough now (former contributor to the Tonight Show under Leno, very successful stand-up, new talk show on Vice) that he'll be okay, and Opie has been saying for years he's got enough "fuck-you money" to walk away whenever he wants and be comfortable. As for Anthony I could not care less what happens to that racist pile of shit.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #353
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I bought a 2013 Sonata last month with Satellite radio. Received 5 months of all access for free.

They called me back for a follow up a few weeks after I set it up, basically asked what I felt the service was worth...I informed them I would be willing to spend a couple of bucks a month on it but anything more and I wasn't worrying about it.

They called me up to pitch me their $24 / 5 months deal...I told them no, it was out of my price range but I was willing to do $2 a month. I was put on hold, transferred to a manager and received exactly what I asked for, I was a little shocked.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #354
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think firing Anthony was rearranging deck chairs...

Stern will likely be gone sooner than later.

I think the writing is on the wall for satellite radio. The question is how long it takes it to come to fruition.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #355
Kodos
Resident Alien

We have a receiver in our Sienna already, but the trial ran out years ago. Is there a reasonable way to get it in the car, and have my son and wife able to listen to it on their own (him in his room, her in her office at home)? I know you are able to use an app on an ipod touch or ipad or something like that? I'd like to do it if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Extra info. Wife is a big Howard Stern fan. She would need access to that in her office.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-02-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We have a receiver in our Sienna already, but the trial ran out years ago. Is there a reasonable way to get it in the car, and have my son and wife able to listen to it on their own (him in his room, her in her office at home)? I know you are able to use an app on an ipod touch or ipad or something like that? I'd like to do it if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Extra info. Wife is a big Howard Stern fan. She would need access to that in her office.

I don't know about the logistics of moving a rcvr from one vehicle to another (which is what I think you're asking about) but there's an internet/online access option that you can add on or that comes with the highest programming tier. Since she wants Howard, you'll have that as part of your plan IIRC.

And there is an app although I never used it (will kill a data plan in a matter of minutes, too risky for my blood).

The limitation, I believe, is non-receiver (internet, app, whatever) access is limited to one connection at a time per account. You'd have to buy a second full account in order for them to listen online simultaneously (her in her office, him in his room)

Quote:
Can I listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio on multiple devices?

Yes! Your SiriusXM Internet Radio username and password can be used to access the service on multiple devices, as well as on your Mac or PC. However, you can only log on from one location at a time.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #357
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good info, Jon. I wasn't interested in moving the unit from the Sienna. I was envisioning something where they'd be able to access XM using an app on an Ipod or phone or something (in addition to re-activating it in the car), but sounds like that is not feasible in a way that is justifiable cost-wise. It sounds like maybe going music-only for the car may be the best option.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #358
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Good info, Jon. I wasn't interested in moving the unit from the Sienna. I was envisioning something where they'd be able to access XM using an app on an Ipod or phone or something (in addition to re-activating it in the car), but sounds like that is not feasible in a way that is justifiable cost-wise. It sounds like maybe going music-only for the car may be the best option.

Ohhhhh , my bad.

Yeah, you can reactivate AND get access on other devices ... unfortunately it just can't be simultaneous access on those other devices (it can be concurrent with the car, just not with two other mobile-type devices)

I had kinda the same situation -- me & Will -- which is one reason that it really never became much of a thing for either of us.

My advice, fwiw, would be to try to hook your son on Spotify for music listening, which clears your wife to have Howard in the office. I mean, if you go that programming package to get him in the car then you end up with online access anyhow (IF he's one of the programs available online/mobile, I don't remember offhand)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #359
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, that might be the way to go. Thanks for your advice, Jon.