Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

E-Cigs and Vapor products

Trying to transition away from Cigs again. Nicotine mellows me out and I'm going thru some shit right now.

Tried the following:

Vuse-possibly the grossest thing I ever tried. Horrible hits, tastes like a lucky strike. Avoid.

Blu-liked several of the carts, cherry and vanilla especially good. Battery life sucks bad.

Recently bought a pen type setup. Seems promising once I find a juice I like. Most batteries seem to be eGo/510 threaded so I've been experimenting and using up the rest of my blu carts as well. Solid amounts of smoke.

I know this can get super elaborate and expensive if you want it to, but I'm hoping this is more temporary.

Anyone recommend a good site for a menthol that is good? Most of the ones I've tired have been borderline awful.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I would find a local vape shop and ask them. They are springing up everywhere and seem to offer better and/or more interesting things than you see on TV or other places. They are basically hobbiest shops, so the employees take it seriously.

That's what my GF did when she was trying to transition off cigs. Made a kneejerk decision to buy Blu, which she hated, and ended up following some recommendations at a nearby vape shop. I believe the last one she got before she quit for good(I hope) was this:

iTaste VV V3.0

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-17-2014 at 10:11 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My experience is limited here, although I've done some experimenting thanks to a friend.

A gift from that friend included a menthol -- Lion Head "Sunrise" -- that I thought was awfully good for my introduction to vaping.

It's more of a ... "candy" menthol, or "sweet" menthol than I was looking for. I ended up enjoying a local blend more, "mintier" more than sweet.

For me the challenge has been finding a nicotine level that's effective without being so harsh that I can't handle the deeper draw
Old 10-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've been meaning to check out this local vape shop but it's in a place that's a pain in the ass to get to/park. #mediocresizedtownstruggle

Last edited by stevew : 10-18-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

I bet a Star Wars-themed Lord Vapor would sell like crazy.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Recoil
High School Varsity

I transitioned to a Kanger Protank3 from a very basic eGo-T. It's made a world of difference. I don't remember my last cig craving since I made the change.

I also haven't had any luck finding a decent menthol juice. Currently vaping on Cinnaroll from Jvapes (which is pretty good), but my favorite is probably Beeblebrox from The Vapor Chef. Definitely recommend both sites.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't know anything about the products, but when I was in Paris this summer it seemed like everyone was vaping.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I transitioned to a Kanger Protank3 from a very basic eGo-T. It's made a world of difference. I don't remember my last cig craving since I made the change.

I also haven't had any luck finding a decent menthol juice. Currently vaping on Cinnaroll from Jvapes (which is pretty good), but my favorite is probably Beeblebrox from The Vapor Chef. Definitely recommend both sites.

How long does the ProTank3 last? I don't mind spending some money on one but a 2-3 listed lifespan makes it kind of expensive. Although still exponentially cheaper than cigarettes. Was also looking into home brewing some stuff if I can find a recipe I like. Startup is expensive but it works out to less than a dollar per 10ML over time. Hesitant to work with nicotine though. I guess I can just be extra careful, all the calculators are out there. Right now the margins for companies making ejuice must be huge. I expect a federal crackdown soon. Might explain why big tobacco only offers menthol/regular (RJR=Vuse. mark ten=Marlboro)
Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Vape shops are *everywhere* in Vegas. Someone in my cohort started making his own juices last fall, and he's been so so successful, he's been able to do it full-time and is making a ton of money doing it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 10-18-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How long does the ProTank3 last? I don't mind spending some money on one but a 2-3 listed lifespan makes it kind of expensive. Although still exponentially cheaper than cigarettes. Was also looking into home brewing some stuff if I can find a recipe I like. Startup is expensive but it works out to less than a dollar per 10ML over time. Hesitant to work with nicotine though. I guess I can just be extra careful, all the calculators are out there. Right now the margins for companies making ejuice must be huge. I expect a federal crackdown soon. Might explain why big tobacco only offers menthol/regular (RJR=Vuse. mark ten=Marlboro)

Well, I'm on my second. Girlfriend accidentally sent the first one off the kitchen counter. It was a mess. I (over)paid for overnight shipping on the replacement. That's how much I love it. $18.99 right now on DiscountVapors. Can't recommend it enough, but it's not nearly as durable as my starter kit eGo T.

No kidding on the margins. All of my online orders have come with at least two free random sample bottles. It's apparent they have no issue handing these out. Also, check out http://juicedb.com - it's a good resource for juice/vendor reviews.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the heads up on the protank. It's like night and day. Found one locally for $25, obviously an overpay but it was an impulse buy.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'll just post this here as a place I have seen recommended by people on Reddit.

http://www.gearbest.com/electronic-cigarettes-c_11281/

Also I know there is someone on Reddit that is highly regarded for their juice.

I've used Gearbest for other things, they ship from China.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Here's my rig:

The main unit is a Provari variable voltage eCig with extension cap on the bottom to accomodate a 18650 battery (longer lifespan in between recharging). The tank is an Aspire Nautilus clearomizer - holds 5 ml of juice (longer lifespan in between refills).

When I initially tried vaping as a substitute for smoking last spring, I had bought an ego-T starter kit just to see if this thing was something I could commit to. After a month of decreased smoking, I became encouraged by the results and once I committed to vaping, I bought the unit above. Both the cig & the tank are a bit pricy, but I went for highest recommended for both units because as someone who was unsuccessful in staying a non-smoker all those times of trying before, I didn't want to fall short of this effort simply because I wouldn't pay the price. Plus, even the highest priced unit is still cheaper than cigarettes in the long run.

It's physically big compared to others setups, but I placed a priority on battery life, time between tank refills and overall quality of the vapor...didn't really care about aesthetics or size or anything like that. The taste is far better than the ego-T kit I started with and I think that's something that has helped me stay away from cigarettes. I can't recommend both the Provari and the Nautilus tank enough in that regard. Overall, I've been very happy with vaping and my experience since I started.

The last time I bought cigarettes was the beginning of June...
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My one friend, who I would lovingly dub JonInNorthwestPA, switched over to logic and a juice type vape a few months ago and is saving 1-300 a month(at least) in cigarettes. He likes Logic E-Cigs and refills some blue cartridges. But most importantly he says he feels a ton better, which is better than anything
Old 10-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

VPI-that looks like something my one crazy friend would build.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ordered a Aspire Nautilus and something called the eleaf iStick off of eBay. Battery pack has good reviews. The setup is going to look a little dumb but I feel like it should put out a ton of smoke.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sorry.. every time my wife uses hers I think about this song...

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I've been vaping for a little while now, but I am so overwhlemed with the choices out there that I've just stuck with this basic starter kit. It is a Tsunami 1000x. It came with a couple clearomizer tanks. Seems OK, but I know there is a better setup out there. I just can't see dropping the $$ that VPI has (even though it looks like a sweet setup).

What could I pick up in a local smoke shop for about $40-$100 and how often do the tanks need to be replaced??

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

As far as upkeep goes on the ProTank3, I'm replacing a wick roughly once a week @ $3 a piece. The tank is 510 threaded, it would work on your existing battery. I think I paid about $25 for the tank but online it's like $17 or so. You can just get an extra eGo battery for like $12-20. Smoke is way better than a basic clearomizer. Also with that battery you can thread on Blu brand tips if you wanna try them out. I'd try to get a pass thru battery, way easier to charge.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #20
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
As far as upkeep goes on the ProTank3, I'm replacing a wick roughly once a week @ $3 a piece. The tank is 510 threaded, it would work on your existing battery. I think I paid about $25 for the tank but online it's like $17 or so. You can just get an extra eGo battery for like $12-20. Smoke is way better than a basic clearomizer. Also with that battery you can thread on Blu brand tips if you wanna try them out. I'd try to get a pass thru battery, way easier to charge.

As someone who doesn't smoke and has never seen an e-cig or vaporizer or knows what the difference is or why I'd want one or whatever, this thread is fascinating. These things sound like miniature spaceships in complexity.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #21
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Cigs you inhale smoke. Vapes you inhale vaporized water in such a way that it feels/looks like smoke, usually mixed with nicotine and various flavors. So presumably it's a good smoking alternative, though I still don't consider it a healthy addiction.

Layman explanation from someone who doesn't understand it as much as 3/4 the people in this thread .

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-18-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #22
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
As someone who doesn't smoke and has never seen an e-cig or vaporizer or knows what the difference is or why I'd want one or whatever, this thread is fascinating. These things sound like miniature spaceships in complexity.

Yeah, I've been vaping for a month now and steve's post was pretty much a foreign language to me still. I don't really understand it other than the fact that I am not sucking smoke and tar and carcinogens into my lungs, that I can vape indoors and the juices taste really great!

I have no idea what a wick replacement means, why I would need a new/extra battery or what a pass through battery means!

Is the ProTank3 a clearomizer like mine, but just wayyy better?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pass thru battery charges on bottom via USB.

The wick is a part of the clear atomizer that can be replaced and burns out.

The pro tank is just like one of those plastic clear atomizers but way better.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

L->R

Evod 1000 mah battery($20@ overpriced store) with protank 3($25) on it. Traditional $5 clearatomizer, replacement wicks(5 pack for $15) for protank.

Puts out a ton more smoke than my basic starter kit.

Note: that's not a pass thru battery, they didn't have any at the shitty store I went to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14163310657222046124100.jpg (878.0 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by stevew : 11-18-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #25
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trola,

When I say way better it's nicer cause you don't have to refill it as often and the plastic clearatomizers are a bit of a pain to deal with. More smoke, less leak.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #26
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
L->R

Evod 1000 mah battery($20@ overpriced store) with protank 3($25) on it. Traditional $5 clearatomizer, replacement wicks(5 pack for $15) for protank.

Puts out a ton more smoke than my basic starter kit.

Note: that's not a pass thru battery, they didn't have any at the shitty store I went to.

OK, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to post the picture and explain.

So, I can keep my same battery for now and try this Protank with it, right? Is it hard to replace the wicks? Does it give a better flavor? I enjoy the flavor I am getting now, but something tells me I am missing out on a more richer smoke, if that makes any sense.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The wicks screw in, take a second to replace. I drive a lot so I use it a ton. For the first week or so I just used my existing battery. I just wabted a larger capacity one. There's a lot of things like the protank3, someone more knowledgeable may prefer something else. I'm using a wick fast but I use my vape a ton and I think some of the e juice clogs it up. I like the metal tip vs those cheap plastic ones. It fills from the bottom and holds 2.5ML. The bottom wick design means you can go much longer without refiling.

I got some ectoCooler and crunchberries stuff online for dirt cheap(30ml is like $7.50) from mtbaker vapor. If you google vistavapors $1.99 trial offer they will sell you a 102ml bottle for like $14 shipped. I got a green apple that should be here later this week.

As far as flavor of smoke goes, that's going to be kind of ymmv, all of this is whatever you prefer. Even if you get stuff you don't like it's way cheaper than cigarettes at $6+/day. There's so much science in all of this, you can mess with variables all day if you get an adjustable voltage battery.

I'd just go to a shop and see what they recommend.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #28
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I've been vaping a caramel macchiato and a bahama breeze (pina colada). I just found a shop dedicated to vaping not far from where I work. I'll stop on my way home and report back!

Old 11-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #29
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I've been vaping a caramel macchiato and a bahama breeze (pina colada).
Dude. Are you taking up rollerblading, too?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #30
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Dude. Are you taking up rollerblading, too?

Only on my way to Madonna concerts.

Anything to quit cigs.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #32
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Cigs you inhale smoke. Vapes you inhale vaporized water in such a way that it feels/looks like smoke, usually mixed with nicotine and various flavors. So presumably it's a good smoking alternative, though I still don't consider it a healthy addiction.

Layman explanation from someone who doesn't understand it as much as 3/4 the people in this thread .

So the idea is that removing the tar and real smoke removes the carcinogens and so you won't get the cancer? Or is it just cheaper but you'll still get the cancer? Does it stink up a room like a cigarette does? What about your clothes, skin, and teeth? I'm just trying to understand the various pros/cons in comparison to traditional cigarette smoking.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #33
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty much all of that, does not stink up a room or your clothes, I've seen people smoke them out in the open in airports. Though most people still use nicotine and you are still inhaling a foreign substance into your lungs, the effects on your health are still not 100 percent known. But I think it's safe to say it beats traditional smoking.

My understanding right now is its believed cancer risk is way down, risk of heart disease is the same or higher, since people tend to ingest even more nicotine with a vaporizer than with cigs.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-18-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,

By more nicotine I mean because vaping is so much more convenient, so people vape more than they would smoke. You do have far more control over nicotine content if you want it.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #35
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Found this nice little store just 15 minutes from where I work, and on the way home, so a perfect little spot. Prices were a tad high, but I don't mind supporting a local shop like this. I picked up the ProTank3 for $26 and a new bottle of juice for $8. I am still using my old battery, but I am getting a better vape out of the tank for sure.

I checked out some batteries and will probably head back there to pick one up. There was a rectangular one where you can set the amps and watts for $60 and a pen shaped one for $40. I can't remember the brand on them though.

Last edited by Marmel : 11-18-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #36
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I read this as:

Quote:
I've been raping a camel in the bahama breeze. I'll stop on my way home and report back!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-18-2014 at 08:25 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:42 AM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Found this nice little store just 15 minutes from where I work, and on the way home, so a perfect little spot. Prices were a tad high, but I don't mind supporting a local shop like this. I picked up the ProTank3 for $26 and a new bottle of juice for $8. I am still using my old battery, but I am getting a better vape out of the tank for sure.

I checked out some batteries and will probably head back there to pick one up. There was a rectangular one where you can set the amps and watts for $60 and a pen shaped one for $40. I can't remember the brand on them though.

Glad you're enjoying it. Not sure if the box you're talking about is the one I ordered, but I think it gets here on Thursday and I'm excited about it.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Got the eleaf iStick today. Holy shit it's good. Feeling a Nic buzz even. Pass thru charging is clutch too. Just now got it, but early results are promising. 2200mah so it should go all day.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

hxxp://spinfuel.com/eleaf-istick-review/
Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #40
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I decided to give vaping a shot for the 3rd time in 3-4 years. Previous times it got me off cigs and then I quit vaping and was completely nicotine free for 3ish months before smoking cigs again stupidly.

Went to a local shop to get my stuff. Overpaid but hey, keep it local I guess. The only real overpay that kind of annoyed me but I couldn't say no to impulse was for the iStick.

iStick: $50
Nautilus Mini: $32
Pack of replacement coils: $15
30mL of juice: $15

Could have been worse. So far so good. Outside of MBV, any other recommendations for decent juice without being ridiculously priced?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Use the ego adapter and ring...imo it keeps the slot from getting leaky. There's a Vista vapor "free 17ml" pay only shipping option out there, but you can upgrade it to like 102ml for like 12$ more. That's a steal. Also there is an Apollo ecigs 2 bottles for free deal that costs like 2.30 to ship.

Otherwise Vista if you're buying 102ml(like$18ish) or MBV if you're just getting 30.

I still haven't found the wattage I like. Sometimes 4.5 is good, sometimes it burns.

Last edited by stevew : 11-25-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #42
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

4.5 watts? Do you mean volts?

I've been sitting at 9W. Gradually increasing until I find what I like
Old 11-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. 4-4.5v. I like to get it kind of hot but not scorched
Old 11-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #44
lungs
Pro Rookie

Do these things freeze up in cold weather? Buddy of mine is a two pack a day smoker and was doing pretty well on the e-cig but once it got cold it would freeze up and he couldn't use it.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #45
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hey Steve. What percentage of Vg/pg do you use. Curious how high in VG I can get
Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just got 50/50 but I'll probably do max VG next time. Lungs, probably could freeze but if you hit it with enough power it would be ok I'd think. He should maybe use a drip setup. May be a bit of a pain but wouldn't freeze due to the lack of volume

Last edited by stevew : 11-25-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Der experienced the freezing phenomenon today. Left my stuff in the car and had to warm it for a good while.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola, it appears that I cracked my nautilus by not letting it heat up. Lesson learned, I'll snag the stainless tank replacement.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #49
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
it appears that I cracked my nautilus by not letting it heat up.

That's what she said!
Old 01-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #50
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

I've been really wanting to stop smoking so I stopped by a couple of local vape shops today, figured I'd check it out and see what it was all about.

First thing was the smoke, err "vapor". Thicker than any casino I've ever seen. Second was the smell, can't really place it but it wasn't pleasant. Fighting through that I asked a few questions and was shown a setup for around $100. It's what the guy uses and holy crap one exhale looks about like a pack of smokes combined. Felt like the place was waaaaay overpriced and left.

2nd place was just as smoky and smelly, but the owners, who appeared to be husband and wife, were much friendlier and cheaper. The woman helped me a bit but had to help do something for someone else. Didn't bother me as I was browsing anyway. Finally left the store a few minutes later feeling a little shaky and light headed. Oh and there was an infant with his parents in there the whole time, poor little kid.

I still may try vaping, but my first experience with the stores were pretty bad. An hour later I still feel a little weird/shaky. Is this normal? I've been a pack+ smoker for damn near 30 years and I am so sick of it.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote