Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #101
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

FWIW, in the season ender last year, when they go into the shed to stop the recording of Crazy Frenchlady so they can use the sat-phone, the number-stamp on the recording indicates they've been on the island for 70 days - I think this was indicated during the pop-up-clip-show before the season premier.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #102
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

That seems to be the most plausible theory I've read about Lost. Admittedly it is way over my head but it seems well thought out and researched. It will be interesting to see if that website suddenly disappears in the next week or so.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #103
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Todd,

I don't see why that's a spoiler so I'm going to discuss it without the tags. That would require them being in two places at once, no? I think what's more likely is that they've been "missing" for 3 years, when for them it will only be perhaps half a year.

3 Years? Did you just pull lthat number out of the air?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #104
Pyser
Pro Rookie

so ben, in theory, could be VERY VERY old right now.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #105
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

Which explains why the one other that was there when Ben was a teenager still looks the same age...
Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #106
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Wasn't WALT! suddenly a lot bigger/older too when we last saw him?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #107
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

No. We watched Ben grow up, remember?

As for a time discrepancy, Jack plainly stated "I can't believe it's been a hundred days since I've seen a game" in his conversation with Frank. If there's a discrepancy there Frank would have picked up on it. Futhermore, there have been several occassions (including in this episode) on which people on the island have communicated with people in the outside world in real time.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #108
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yes, but isn't it possible that there is still a time discrepency? For example, Dan was talking to Regina, but for Dan it was 2:30 and Regina it was 3:15? And can't all the other examples (Penny being the main one that I can think of at the end of S3) be explained in the same way?

That would be a time discrepancy only in the same sense that there is a time discrepancy between New York and Los Angeles.

Quote:
I think it's also quite possible that Frank heard what Jack said and kept his mouth shut. These four obviously know more about the island than they are letting on.

If they know, then why does Daniel think the results of his experiments are "beyond weird"?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #109
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Then how do you explain the rocket getting there very, very late?

There's obviously some element of time travel in the plot, I just don't think that's along the lines of the outside world being on a different timeline than the island.

Quote:
If they don't expect something odd to happen, why would they do the experiment in the first place? Why would he bring all that stuff to the island? Just in case?

Presumably Daniel is there to investigate the strange physical properties of the island, but there is no reason to believe that he any knowledge of the whole time situation. The experiment is presented as if brought about by a flash of insight and the results are presented as shocking.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #110
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
That would be a time discrepancy only in the same sense that there is a time discrepancy between New York and Los Angeles.
Huh? That makes no sense. The freighter is only miles off the coast, it's not 3000 miles away in a different timezone. The lady on the freighter was counting down the height of the beacon she even said it landed and it hadn't.

Quote:
If they know, then why does Daniel think the results of his experiments are "beyond weird"?
I know if I was Daniel, I would think it's beyond weird. Nothing in science explains what is happening on this island compared to the regular world, so regardless if I knew something was wonky, I would most deffinately think that my experiment was "beyond weird". It's completely unexplainable!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #111
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Puzzling was the Jack allowed the experiment with no objection at all. "Fire the ordinance." or something like that doens't sound threatening at all?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #112
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Huh? That makes no sense. The freighter is only miles off the coast, it's not 3000 miles away in a different timezone. The lady on the freighter was counting down the height of the beacon she even said it landed and it hadn't.

We know that the plane crashed in 2004, and that 100 days have passed on the island. If you want to say that there is a time discrepancy, then you have to say that time passes at a different rate on the island. If that is the case, then how you have communication between the island and the outside world in real time?

Quote:
I know if I was Daniel, I would think it's beyond weird. Nothing in science explains what is happening on this island compared to the regular world, so regardless if I knew something was wonky, I would most deffinately think that my experiment was "beyond weird". It's completely unexplainable!

The point is that Daniel was shocked by the results. If they were aware of the time issues, as was posited to explain why Frank didn't take notice of Jack's comment, why would Daniel have been shocked? If you already know that there is a time shift of several years between the island and the outside world, a 30 minute difference in a clock reading would probably leave you a little nonplussed.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #113
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Puzzling was the Jack allowed the experiment with no objection at all. "Fire the ordinance." or something like that doens't sound threatening at all?

That, and, if I were Daniel, I think I might let everyone know that I just had a rocket fired at us. Also, I probably would have set up the beacon a little farther from the helicopter.

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 02-15-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #114
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
We know that the plane crashed in 2004, and that 100 days have passed on the island. If you want to say that there is a time discrepancy, then you have to say that time passes at a different rate on the island. If that is the case, then how you have communication between the island and the outside world in real time?
People seem to make too many assumptions with this show that it works entirely like real life. It seems to me that there is some alternate reality/time shift/whatever that has affected this area of the Earth, as to why communication can be made to and from it, I don't know, but something is going on there that isn't normal. Period. That's why the clocks aren't matching. Just because there is a time discrepancy, doesn't mean that time passes at a different rate, that's too closed of a view on how this all works.
Quote:
The point is that Daniel was shocked by the results. If they were aware of the time issues, as was posited to explain why Frank didn't take notice of Jack's comment, why would Daniel have been shocked? If you already know that there is a time shift of several years between the island and the outside world, a 30 minute difference in a clock reading would probably leave you a little nonplussed.

Well I don't think it's a several year time shift, if anything it's just small amount of time shifted, for whatever reason. I know if I was a researcher and I had some completely off the wall hypothesis for something and doing an experiment sort of proved it, I would think something is beyond weird if it was something I couldn't explain with SCIENCE.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #115
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
No. We watched Ben grow up, remember?

As for a time discrepancy, Jack plainly stated "I can't believe it's been a hundred days since I've seen a game" in his conversation with Frank. If there's a discrepancy there Frank would have picked up on it. Futhermore, there have been several occassions (including in this episode) on which people on the island have communicated with people in the outside world in real time.

I've seen a lot of people suggest that Frank "gave Jack a funny look" when he said 100 days. I don't recall it. I've also seen a calculation of the time discrepancy based on the difference between the watch and the timepiece in the rocket and that calculation put it at 8 1/2 years passing in the "real world" for 100 Lost days.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #116
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I've seen a lot of people suggest that Frank "gave Jack a funny look" when he said 100 days. I don't recall it. I've also seen a calculation of the time discrepancy based on the difference between the watch and the timepiece in the rocket and that calculation put it at 8 1/2 years passing in the "real world" for 100 Lost days.

But, how is that calculation made? Is it based off when the rocket was supposed to land compared to when it actually did? Couldn't they just radio back and ask what time it was back on the freighter?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #117
rockboy70
Mascot

Quote:
That, and, if I were Daniel, I think I might let everyone know that I just had a rocket fired at us. Also, I probably would have set up the beacon a little farther from the helicopter.

Yeah that bothered me as well, especially when it landed about 10ft from the copter. Also why the heck is he wearing a tie, sure he's a geeky scientist, but you're going to a freakin' tropical island.
rockboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #118
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy70 View Post
Yeah that bothered me as well, especially when it landed about 10ft from the copter. Also why the heck is he wearing a tie, sure he's a geeky scientist, but you're going to a freakin' tropical island.
But this is going off the assumption that they knew that it was a tropical island.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #119
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

WOW. That is absolutely incredible.

Great episode this week. Just watched it on abc.com.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #120
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
But this is going off the assumption that they knew that it was a tropical island.
Even if you don't know it's a tropical island, why would you wear a suit and tie and not something more practical?

Also, if they really had no idea what sort of environment they were getting into, don't you think Naomi would have told them that information when talking on the satphone?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #121
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Even if you don't know it's a tropical island, why would you wear a suit and tie and not something more practical?

Also, if they really had no idea what sort of environment they were getting into, don't you think Naomi would have told them that information when talking on the satphone?

Because you are a nerdy scientist?

No since she never really talked to them on the phone. Remember, Naomi was on the same helicopter ride as all the other people. And she didn't talk on the sat phone all that much, because (a.) she was knocked out upside down in a tree. and (b.) someone decided to kill her by throwing a knife at her before she was able to say much of anything to her people once they were able to get signal.

Are you sure you are watching this TV show?

Last edited by DanGarion : 02-19-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #122
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Who cares what he is wearing
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #123
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

People seem to make too many assumptions with this show and clothing that it works entirely like real life. It seems to me that there is some alternate reality/time shift/whatever that has affected this area of the Earth and clothing.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #124
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
People seem to make too many assumptions with this show and clothing that it works entirely like real life. It seems to me that there is some alternate reality/time shift/whatever that has affected this area of the Earth and clothing.

Wow, that was almost funny...
Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #125
Swaggs
Coordinator

I enjoyed that one quite a bit, actually.

It's now clear that the six survivors made up a story and lied about what all happened on the island.

It was interesting that there was, at some point after they got off the island, still a spark between Jack and Kate.

Even if it wasn't super satisfying, we at least got to see how/why Kate got out of trouble after getting off the island.

The Miles stuff was pretty cool and opens up some new possibilities.

Sayid and Desmond (and the pilot) are now in limbo, either due to them not arriving or the crew on the ship lying about them.

I also thought that Hurley, Ben, and Sawyer had some great scenes. I liked the, "You just Scooby Doo'ed me, didn't you?" line from Hurley.

And, the Aaron bombshell was pretty cool.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #126
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really liked this episode. I could do without the court room drama stuff, but the rest was excellent.

I can't wait to see how this whole thing goes down...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #127
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Count me in the liked this episode a lot group. The grenade thing was just bad ass but the bombshell at the end is two weeks in a row I was surprised.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #128
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Count me in the liked this episode a lot group. The grenade thing was just bad ass but the bombshell at the end is two weeks in a row I was surprised.

Same here. For whatever reason the Aaron bombshell was more shocking to me than Sayid working for Ben last week.

It just makes you wonder what exactly is going to happen to everyone to make so many people buy into so many lies...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #129
Swaggs
Coordinator

I really hope that they get a few more episodes produced for this season. The thought of there only being a handful more until 2009 (if they follow the same schedule that they used this year) pretty well sucks.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #130
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I really hope that they get a few more episodes produced for this season. The thought of there only being a handful more until 2009 (if they follow the same schedule that they used this year) pretty well sucks.

Apparently there will be 13 now.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #131
Swaggs
Coordinator

I kind of suspected the Aaron thing because they showed him and talked about him a lot more than normal, but then talked myself out of it after the Kate-Sawyer bedroom scene.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #132
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Same here. For whatever reason the Aaron bombshell was more shocking to me than Sayid working for Ben last week.

It just makes you wonder what exactly is going to happen to everyone to make so many people buy into so many lies...

Agreed totally. The Aaron thing was out of left field.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #133
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I kind of suspected the Aaron thing because they showed him and talked about him a lot more than normal, but then talked myself out of it after the Kate-Sawyer bedroom scene.

I thought that scene was just sort of a Kate struggling with the idea/fears of being a mother, particularly since she never came across as being very maternal. I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted me to think, so... Good on you Lost writers.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #134
hoopsguy
General Manager

Hmm, I told my wife right after they flashed to Kate with Aaron ("I'm not good with kids" or something along those lines) that it was her kid rather than a pregnancy.

It also answers who Kate had to go back to in the flash-forward in last years season finale - which makes Sawyer a lot less likely to be part of the Oceanic 6.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #135
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dan training to be psychic

I think they were just testing his memory.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #136
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Because you are a nerdy scientist?

No since she never really talked to them on the phone. Remember, Naomi was on the same helicopter ride as all the other people. And she didn't talk on the sat phone all that much, because (a.) she was knocked out upside down in a tree. and (b.) someone decided to kill her by throwing a knife at her before she was able to say much of anything to her people once they were able to get signal.

Are you sure you are watching this TV show?
Unless I'm retarded (and to be fair, I've probably watched every episode this year drunk) Naomi didn't come on the same helicopter ride as the other people - that whole big plotline about whether they were going to be allowed to come or not after she was on the island, I don't think I hallucinated it. Fair enough on how she didn't have much time to talk to them.

Count me among those who saw it was Aaron ahead of time. Between the no babies born on island thing and Jack not exactly eager to spend time with her, I finally got one right.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:18 AM   #137
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Count me among those who saw it was Aaron ahead of time. Between the no babies born on island thing and Jack not exactly eager to spend time with her, I finally got one right.

As that happened I brought up to my wife why would Jack be so against seeing Aaron. My only idea is, similar to him being the only person showing up to the funeral of the yet unknown island inhabitant, Jack's decision to get everyone off the island, that apparently goes awry, is the reason Claire is gone/dead?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #138
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I really liked this episode. I could do without the court room drama stuff, but the rest was excellent.

I can't wait to see how this whole thing goes down...

I sure hope these guys don't ever try to do a courtroom show - that was just bad stuff.

the episode was good. I figured out the Aaron thing before the big reveal. Great stuff. Too bad Jack doesn't want to see him - I mean, he's his friggin nephew for crying out loud.

this season is moving right along. the shorter season thing is working out really well for the show.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #139
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I thought Aaron was a spoiler in this thread a while ago when talking about the Oceanic Six.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #140
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I thought Aaron was a spoiler in this thread a while ago when talking about the Oceanic Six.

I think the Oceanic Six are just survivors of the plane crash. Folks like Aaron and Ben (and hopefully Desmond), who we already know got off the island, don't seem to be included.

I find it interesting that Locke's group is just hanging out in those houses without any apparent fear that Ben's huge group of people will be coming back.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #141
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought Ben's huge group of people were dead.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #142
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The original huge group of Ben's people were dead - he gassed most of them in a flashback - but the latest group of people are alive and well, camped out somewhere not seen since the Season 4 finale.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #143
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I don't think all of them died. I think fewer than 10 died at the beach when Sayid/Jin/Bernard blew up those traps and then the guys that had them captured got taken out by Hurley/Sawyer/Juliet.

There were quite a few people living/working in Ben's community that he evacuated (Remember Richard Alpert--the guy who hadn't aged since Ben was a child-- and all of the captors that were there when Kate/Sawyer/Jack were captured).
Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #144
Kodos
Resident Alien

I stand corrected.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #145
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I sure hope these guys don't ever try to do a courtroom show - that was just bad stuff.

the episode was good. I figured out the Aaron thing before the big reveal. Great stuff. Too bad Jack doesn't want to see him - I mean, he's his friggin nephew for crying out loud.

this season is moving right along. the shorter season thing is working out really well for the show.

I agree Lost has gotten its momentum back, and that I had figured out the Aaron business after first having pegged Aaron as the body in the box.

The courtroom scene was important becasue Jack got to say that there were 8 survivors that, in essence, he and Kate pulled out of the water. So why is there only an Oceanic Six? Obviously Kate is claiming Aaron as hers, so who is she claiming is the papa?

Why the lie about the other survivors? That Jack causes (or think he caused) their deaths seems where the story is going.

Also, another great take on Dark Matter is the Golden Compass trilogy. There they move through similar Universes and come to understand the nature of dark matter. Not like Lost, but possibly better--since I don't know how Lost will come out.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #146
Dunleavy
High School JV

Aaron is jack's nephew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
The courtroom scene was important becasue Jack got to say that there were 8 survivors that, in essence, he and Kate pulled out of the water. So why is there only an Oceanic Six? Obviously Kate is claiming Aaron as hers, so who is she claiming is the papa?

Why the lie about the other survivors? That Jack causes (or think he caused) their deaths seems where the story is going.

i have a completely different take on it. so different i'll put it on spoiler just in chance although there is no spoiler info at all. just my pure speculation that i didn't get anywhere but from watching the new season. i maybe right i maybe wrong

Spoiler

Last edited by Dunleavy : 02-22-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #147
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
Aaron is jack's nephew?

Claire is Jack's half-sister.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #148
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

A few theories about the scene where Daniel Faraday was trying to remember the three cards placed face-down by Charlotte Lewis:

1) Daniel has really bad short term memory and he was trying to remember the cards from a few moments ago. Maybe his mind is getting worse or getting better since getting to the island.

2) Daniel is developing / has psychic powers and had never seen the cards before.

3) Daniel has traveled back in time, having seen the cards already and was trying to remember them.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #149
rjolley
College Starter

I felt like #3 was the reason he was trying to guess the cards. Can't put my finger on why right now...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:01 AM   #150
StLee
High School Varsity

I just finished watching episode four, and I still can't figure out who the Oceanic 6 are. Yes, I know Jack, Kate, and Hurley, but I am not sure if Sayid is actually a member of the six or it was his lie to the woman he tricked. Obviously Ben and Aaron wouldn't count, and I have a feeling no one except Sayid knows about Ben. Ben is definitely on a tracking mission of revenge for those who wronged him, so I have a feeling all of the new arrivals will be killed off, the exception possibly being the pilot.

Thinking about it, there are going to be a lot more wrenches thrown into the equation. The dead person is still a mystery. Michael and Walt are still mysteries. Locke seems to be losing his mind, which tells me that he will make an irrational and fatal decision at some point.

By process of elimination, then, and based on their very brief conversation in episode four, Sun and Jin are probably going to make it, too. The sixth (if Sayid is in fact not one of them) is the dead person: probably Sawyer.

Hell, I have no idea. I'm just throwing out possibilities.
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote