Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #951
BYU 14
Coordinator

Yeah, I don't get the Bison need to move up to FBS bullshit. They have constructed a system that allows them to excel and if anything other teams in FCS should be copying them!

I mentioned it before, but one of my players from Westview Jordan Champion was a multi-year starter there and has 5 rings. His story is a perfect example of what the Bison do better than anybody and that is identify kids with FBS talent that lack FBS measurables.

Jordan is a perfect example. Got lots of recruiting love but little in the way of offers because of his size. But he had an amazing work ethic and was an exceptional athlete, who I knew would succeed if given a shot.

Hated the cold up there and was not sure about the location as it was a culture shock coming from Phoenix. But he fell in love with the atmosphere and passion and bought into the vision of the program and had a successful college career.

NDSU continually identifies and recruits kids like Champ and they have a culture kids can thrive in and of course they win. So instead of complaining about their success start finding ways to emulate.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #952
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This was shared and is completely valid for people thinking NDSU has to move up. Plus it doesn't even deal with recruiting problems.

Some perspective for everyone standing outside the campus of NDSU holding a pitchfork and a torch calling for the Bison to move up to FBS:

1. NDSU is a public school, meaning that its primary funding source is the State of North Dakota.

2. The State of North Dakota is funded exclusively by tax money.

3. The State of North Dakota cannot give money to NDSU that it doesn’t first take from the public.

4. Moving up to FBS will cost somewhere between $50-$100 million when it’s all said and done between expanding the Fargodome to meet NCAA FBS requirements and all related infrastructure improvements, increased number of academic scholarships for the athletes, coaching staff compensation, athletic department budget, etc.

5. The overwhelming majority of the costs of moving up to FBS will likely be footed by the State of ND.

6. To come up with the money needed to cover the bill, the state will have to increase its tax revenue.

7. Who in their right mind wants to see their taxes go up just to see some sportscasters/talking heads shut up over the issue of how a college football team funded by said taxpayers is “too good for the division they’re in and need to move up” or something to that extent?

8. NDSU doesn’t need to move up, everyone else in the FCS just needs to get better and show the NCAA that D1 football doesn’t need to have 2 tiers.

The moral? Everything has a catch, and it’s often found in the 2nd half of the story that no one ever talks about, which is why it’s usually located there.

I think it's stupid for non-NDSU people to get bent out of shape about what level NDSU plays at. Only NDSU and its affiliations themselves should have a say or care about making that move.

But your logic list is crap. It's not wrong. One point follows to the next. But that's the way government works. Every university deals with it. Almost every university's AD operates in the red and exists only because of support from their school's general fund, the vast majority of the money for which comes from state taxes. NDSU isn't in some special situation which exempts it from having to decide whether or not it makes the jump to FBS.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #953
Logan
Head Coach

Think this game is going to be really fun and really close. Excited for tonight. Don’t have a pick so I’d take the points.

Last edited by Logan : 01-13-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #954
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I feel like LSU are the public darlings rights now. Clemson with their big game experience and excellent coaching +6 points seems right to me. If we take away the semi-final games LSU is no more than a 2 point favorite.

Also, interesting enough is the total has shot down from 69.5 down to 66.5.

I think the Isaiah Simmons factor is underrated right now. I also think the fact that while Clemson didnt always put up video game numbers on a weekly basis they have as strong of an offense as LSU. Both teams are strong at QB/WR, and offensive line but Id clearly take Etienne over Edwards-Helaire. In any case this should be one spectacular game.

Nice analysis. I cant wait either.

LSU are definitely the darlings, but Dabo and Venables can coach their asses off and I think they'll have something special for Burreaux. Having said that, if Clemson cant get to the QB, he'll pick them apart. Worried about the Clemson safeties against the LSU slot WRs.

I got the under at 70 and am pleased with that, but i can also see this turning into a shootout. I'm thinking LSU by 7-10 but I'm not that confident. Dabo will have his boys ready.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #955
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This is an article from 2017 but there's something in it that seems kind of useful for the NDSU discussion

Financial report shows Georgia Southern athletics with surplus for 2016 - News - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA

The article mentions the cost increases from their final FCS days to their 3rd year (at the time) as an FBS program

Quote:
Georgia Southern has devoted just over $8 million for coaching salaries across all sports, up from nearly $3.5 million in 2013 - the last year the Eagles were FCS in football. The Eagles are also paying nearly $6 million in scholarships, almost $2 million more than 2013, and renovations to Hanner Fieldhouse and Clements Stadium have led to $6.6 million in facility expenses, up from just $1.3 million in 2015.

So basically their salaries doubled and their scholarship expenses tripled, facility costs tripled as well due to renovations.

The story also notes that "university funds" were not their largest source of revenue, it was actually "student fees" by a tiny margin. Each were about 4x the revenue generated by ticket sales and about 2x what was received in contributions.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-13-2020 at 04:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #956
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What a BS headline. After subsidies they had a surplus, but hell I can make my household budget work a lot better with extra money from students, too.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #957
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What a BS headline. After subsidies they had a surplus, but hell I can make my household budget work a lot better with extra money from students, too.

Student activity fees are a primary source of revenue for most programs in Georgia - at every level afaik. (Not true at GT and UGA afaik, but other than those two, likely the case at all the rest)
Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #958
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sure. According to the USA Today database only a few D1 athletics programs break even without funds from the university/students. I just don't think a surplus = having money left over after the university kicks in a bunch of money.

I know it will never happen, but I favor an NCAA policy of, you can do almost anything so long as you balance your budget and get no money from the university/students.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #959
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Sure. According to the USA Today database only a few D1 athletics programs break even without funds from the university/students. I just don't think a surplus = having money left over after the university kicks in a bunch of money.

I know it will never happen, but I favor an NCAA policy of, you can do almost anything so long as you balance your budget and get no money from the university/students.

The benefits do outweigh the costs in many cases. It's the best marketing money most of them can spend.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #960
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Maybe for top programs, but Rutgers pulling thirty some million for athletics certainly doesn't seem like a good investment. When you get to smaller D1 programs it looks even worse. I looked a few years ago and Morehead St. was giving @10 mil to athletics. There's no way a school like that is making a good investment.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #961
Edward64
Head Coach

Stare down at the coin flip.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #962
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The benefits do outweigh the costs in many cases. It's the best marketing money most of them can spend.

Now I'm wondering how many more applicants NDSU would get from states other than ND or MN were they D-I.

(Looking at their stats...they admit 94% of applicants? That's an astounding number to me.)
Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #963
spleen1015
Coordinator

Who wants to go to college in ND?
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #964
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Burrow is on fire since the first couple of drives. Lawrence needs to find his rhythm as he missing a few throws he cant miss in this type of game.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #965
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Almost every university's AD operates in the red and exists only because of support from their school's general fund, the vast majority of the money for which comes from state taxes.

Picking a nit, but at least in my state the bit about "the vast majority of the money for which comes from state taxes" is patently false. So false, in fact, that in Indiana, there are serious discussions going on among various university presidents to end the state school charade and go private. Last I heard, the state's contribution to IU was around 17% of our revenue.

https://bfc.indiana.edu/meetings/201...s/B29-2019.pdf
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #966
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Damn, that QB run was a ballsy call.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #967
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Great first half.
Electric crowd on both sides.
Clemson has to settle down and make this a 4th quarter game or it’s going to get bad.
Offensive play calling has to calm down. The run is there for Clemson and not the Zone read or the sprint draw...but the inside zone and off tackle power are there all night . Take the ball away from Burrow and move it.

Go Tigers! (The orange variety)
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #968
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Big possession coming out of the half. Clemson needs a stop.

Clemson rarely loses that middle 8. Final four of the first half, first four of the 2nd half.

Clemson has had nice success on them delayed pass route plays with TEs and RBs. I think they need to stick with that a bit more.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:12 PM   #969
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Tough call on the targeting.
Same rule from the OSU call though.
I hate the rule but it’s the right call.

Oh well tough way to end your career Skalski.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:12 PM   #970
Edward64
Head Coach

Entertaining game so far.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #971
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Bad Call. Had to figure the Pac-12 crew would eventually make a key mistake.

And if this is a showcase of next level QBs. Joe Burrow is on another level than Lawrence right now.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-13-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #972
bhlloy
Coordinator

ahahaha... I thought I recognized that doofus ref from somewhere. What a joke to have the worst referees in the country doing the biggest game of the year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:09 PM   #973
Edward64
Head Coach

And ... its over with the fumble at 4 min left to play.

The Burrows show. I've seen great College QBs fail in the NFL but hope he does great. I wish him all the best at Cincy.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #974
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That felt more thorough than it looked, if that makes sense.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #975
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
And ... its over with the fumble at 4 min left to play.

The Burrows show. I've seen great College QBs fail in the NFL but hope he does great. I wish him all the best at Cincy.

He is just an impressive QB. I cant believe he is not considered a sure thing by the "experts". He was throwing 20-40 yard throws in a tight window and making it look routine. He set the completion percentage record and touchdown record playing in the SEC.

In the pregame they were talking more about Lawrence as a NFL quarterback.

I think the Bengals catch a break this year. Although they just might be a franchise dumb enough to trade the opportunity for him.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #976
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That felt more thorough than it looked, if that makes sense.

Yeah, from the 2nd quarter on LSU dominated that game.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #977
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think one reason Burrows isn't considered a sure thing is that the 'expert' take seems to be that there's no such thing as that anymore. There's too many ways for a QB especially to fail in making the jump to the NFL.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 AM   #978
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Getting drafted by the Bengals seems like a surefire way to fail.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #979
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a casual LSU fan, I enjoyed the heck out of this season. The stars align only so often to let you have the mix of players, coaching, and injury luck that leads to a championship season. So I jumped on that bandwagon and enjoyed the ride.

And it will be interesting to see the LSU system next year without Burrow and Burrow next year without the LSU system. I have no idea what was the chicken there and what was the egg.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #980
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If the officer had followed through, it is funny to imagine the reaction in Louisiana to the local police officer who arrested LSU players for smoking cigars right after they won the national title.

I imagine that he would end up being a police officer somewhere other than Louisiana pretty soon.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #981
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Tough call on the targeting.
Same rule from the OSU call though.
I hate the rule but it’s the right call.

Oh well tough way to end your career Skalski.

I hate, hate, hate, hate this damn rule. I get the player safety aspect but the penalty is too severe. IMHO, they need to focus on intent to kick players out of the game. Or make it a 2-strike penalty then you go.

There's also too many damn reviews. Make it like the pro game and give coaches 2 challenges a game. This reviewing after every play kills momentum and makes this games too f'ng long.

Great season for the Coon Asses. WIll be interesting to see how good Brady is without Burrow.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #982
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think one reason Burrows isn't considered a sure thing is that the 'expert' take seems to be that there's no such thing as that anymore. There's too many ways for a QB especially to fail in making the jump to the NFL.

I agree, but Burrows definitely feels more "sure" than most. The fact that he has the size, arm strength plus his ability to improve year on year. His legs helps him, but he is not dependent on his legs. My only worry is he does have that "linebacker" mentality, and trying to be tough can get you killed in the NFL.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #983
Butter
Coordinator

LSU was just a machine this year. As Clemson, it would be a lot more frustrating if they hadn't already had the success they've had leading up to this year. But as a fan, it always felt like Clemson was going to have to score in the 40's to win. Which ended up being true.

Lawrence was just off and they didn't run the ball for whatever reason. LSU was just a machine, and it's hard to say that you gave up 42 points and over 600 yards and still felt you had a chance, but the fault really lies with the offense. I think Venables did about all he could.

There are real rumblings that Etienne will return for his senior season, and if he does, interesting to see what happens as both were Heisman candidates early but a garbage September really derailed both of their chances. The offensive line is losing a lot.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #984
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

They should fire him into the sun

New Orleans police issue arrest warrant for Browns' Odell Beckham Jr.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #985
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

dumbest thing ever

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #986
Kodos
Resident Alien

What an idiot.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #987
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching people justify it on Twitter, mostly African Americans, is laughable. I get their relationship with law enforcement is pretty bad, but this isn't the hill to die on.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #988
molson
General Manager

OBJ desperately wanted LSU's win to be all about him.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #989
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
dumbest thing ever

The butt slapping or the $?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #990
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The butt slapping or the $?

yes
Old 01-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #991
PilotMan
Head Coach

The whole, entire thing is dumb.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #992
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm unclear on the butt slapping thing for this reason.

Most accounts are just saying it was the butt slap ... but I've seen one or two that mention that the officer involved is the one that OBJ got into a verbal (?) altercation with when he tried to shut down the celebratory cigars in the LSU locker room.

a) if it's just the butt slap, the charge is pretty silly IMO

b) if there was more than that to it, all bets are probably off

c) that cop needs his head examined for interfering with a traditional celebration, though how you tell the knucklehead that probably requires some finesse (which I doubt OBJ utilized)
Old 01-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #993
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

pop the espn link above. it has a video.
its both.
Yeah OBJ is a dumbass.
Yea LA police are idiots for trying to arrest kids for smoking victory cigars.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #994
Atocep
Coordinator

Dave Aranda to Baylor

Going to be interesting to see how Coach O does without Burrow, Brady, and Aranda.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #995
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Hate to admit it, but Baylor made another solid hire in Aranda, IMO. No idea how they convinced Rhule to come down but that was a home run.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #996
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Hate to admit it, but Baylor made another solid hire in Aranda, IMO. No idea how they convinced Rhule to come down but that was a home run.

They dodged a bullet with Fuente turning them down.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #997
tarcone
Coordinator

Schools with the most players playing the conference title games:

owa & PSU are tied with 7 each
Mississippi ST has 6
Clemson has 5
Bama 4
Michigan 4
Northwestern 4
Stanford 4
Texas A&M 4
UCLA 4
Vandy 4
A bunch have 3 with the likes of Auburn OSU LSU, OU, and Purdue

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #998
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Schools with the most players playing the conference title games:

owa & PSU are tied with 7 each
Mississippi ST has 6
Clemson has 5
Bama 4
Michigan 4
Northwestern 4
Stanford 4
Texas A&M 4
UCLA 4
Vandy 4
A bunch have 3 with the likes of Auburn OSU LSU, OU, and Purdue

Can someone explain what this is? Trying to wrap my head around what this is saying, and I'm failing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #999
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Can someone explain what this is? Trying to wrap my head around what this is saying, and I'm failing.

A breakdown of players by college represented in this weekend's NFL conference title games?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #1000
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
A breakdown of players by college represented in this weekend's NFL conference title games?

Ah ha yes. Thank you.

Couldn't get my mind to latch onto conference title games rwferring to NFL