Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2003, 12:05 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Angry One advantage John Stockon had over Kobe...

... is that he didn't pose and preen and strut after every shot he made. God I get sick of his posturing. You throw balls through a hoop for a living, man. You're not Superman saving children from a fire...

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:07 PM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I hear he saved a chicken wing from a KFC
Old 05-14-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

That was Shaq
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
primelord
Pro Rookie

Re: One advantage John Stockon had over Kobe...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
... is that he didn't pose and preen and strut after every shot he made. God I get sick of his posturing. You throw balls through a hoop for a living, man. You're not Superman saving children from a fire...

Stockton's boring ass shots were never worthy of posing after. Kodos why do you let guys having fun playing the game bother you so much? There is no question the showboating has gotten a bit out of control in all the major sports, but they are just kids having fun. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I would much rather watch Kobe strut around and enjoy the game than watch a lifeless emotionless player.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
rexallllsc
Banned

Re: One advantage John Stockon had over Kobe...

Quote:

Kobe = 3 rings
Stockton = 0 rings

It was a big game...you don't expect these guys to show some emotion? Stockton was also on of the dirtier players in the league in his day...
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:23 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

everytime I go to the supermarket I see Kobe plasetered on nutella. What kind of friggin' endorsement is that!?

And yes, I'm dead serious. Check it out in your local supermarket.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 05-14-2003 at 12:26 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:26 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't mind celebration or emotion. Tim Duncan smiling as he ran down the court was nice. I do mind acting like you are God because you just made a shot.

On the other hand, Horry's reaction after he missed that last shot was pure gold.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:28 PM   #8
Franklinnoble
Banned

It's like that in all sports now. Take the NFL for example: Gone are the John Riggins and Barry Sanders of the game - men who were simply great at what they did, but did it with a bit of humility. Neither EVER even did so much as spike the ball after a touchdown... they just nonchalantly flipped the ball to the refs and went back to the sideline.

Now you've got all these jackasses with their "Mile High Salutes" and "Lambeau Leaps" and god knows what other faggoty end-zone sack dance victory lap bullshit they have to tack on after every single play. It's not just big plays, either... these dorks are celebrating after first downs, for Pete's sake.

I agree with Kodos... it's your job, damn it. Do it well, but don't expect a f*cking ticker tape parade in your honor every time you complete the task you're PAID TO DO (and paid exceptionally well, I might add). Can you imagine people with non-sports related jobs behaving like professional athletes? How'd it look if the kid bagging your groceries spiked them into the cart when he was done? Or if your mailman pumped his fist every time he put a letter in your mailbox? I don't high-five my co-workers and say "Nice job on that T.P.S. report, Chuck. You da man!" And if someone at my office ever patted me on the ass, he'd probably get punched right before I had him written up for sexual harassment.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:30 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why call out Kobe? Lots of players do it. Darius Miles has that stupid headbang. Lots of players point to the sky or the crowd or whatever.

Whats next? Critizing someone for doing a High 5?

I swear, some people just need some cheese for their Whine
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:30 PM   #10
Samdari
Roster Filler

John Riggins? Humility?

You have never heard him broadcast have you?
Old 05-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #11
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
everytime I go to the supermarket I see Kobe plasetered on nutella. What kind of friggin' endorsement is that!?And yes, I'm dead serious. Check it out in your local supermarket.
Are you out of your fucking MIND? Have you ever HAD Nutella? It is God's gift to us humans. A little reminder that He is both creative and wonderful and has a huge-ass sweet tooth. Ok, so maybe they should put Jesus on that container instead, but Kobe is an outstanding ambassador...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #12
ctmason
High School JV

If you don't like it, don't watch.

Looking at the ratings for the NBA, that seems to be what everyone else is doing.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

I called out Kobe because he is the poster child for it.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #14
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
I called out Kobe because he is the poster child for it.

No, you called him out because you hate the Lakers.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
everytime I go to the supermarket I see Kobe plasetered on nutella. What kind of friggin' endorsement is that!?

And yes, I'm dead serious. Check it out in your local supermarket.

Subby's right, Nutella rocks! It's great with peanut butter. Nothing like a PB & Nutella sandwich to get me going. It rocks on toast too. Shit, sometimes if I'm out of bread I'll just eat it out of the jar. The thing that pisses me off about Kobe being on the Nutella jar is having to see his ugly punk face on it when I'm trying to enjoy a meal...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:36 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nope. Watch him next game. He cannot go a minute without some sort of self-aggrandizing pose or facial expression.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:36 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
John Riggins? Humility?

You have never heard him broadcast have you?

I saw him play.

He was always a clown OFF THE FIELD. But even when he broke the game winning touchdown (on a fourth down) in Super Bowl XVII, all he did afterwards was toss the ball to the ref and head back to the sidelines (probably to put his oxygen mask back on...)
Old 05-14-2003, 12:39 PM   #18
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Nope. Watch him next game. He cannot go a minute without some sort of self-aggrandizing pose or facial expression.

And this bothers you why?
Old 05-14-2003, 12:40 PM   #19
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by rexallllsc
And this bothers you why?

Because it's pompous, arrogant, and downright f*cking annoying, that's why.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:42 PM   #20
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Because it's pompous, arrogant, and downright f*cking annoying, that's why.

Yeh. He should run down court after bringing the team back from a 25 point defecit with a stoic expression, even though every Laker fan in LA is cheering his ass off.

Excuse him for being excited.

Dorks.

Last edited by rexallllsc : 05-14-2003 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:45 PM   #21
cuervo72
Head Coach

Re: Re: One advantage John Stockon had over Kobe...

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
Stockton's boring ass shots were never worthy of posing after.

So did those baskets get points taken away for lack of style, or did they still count 2 or 3?
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:45 PM   #22
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Its amazing how you can read his mind just by a facial expression. You should find a way to make money off of that.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:22 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just what part of watching what Kobe does requires mind-reading abilities? And if you can't see that he is constantly patting himself on the back, then you must be the one from another planet...

Are you trying to say that while he is posing and strutting, that he is probably thinking to himself "Whew! That was lucky! I'm not a good player, but I sure am lucky!" all the while?
Old 05-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #24
primelord
Pro Rookie

Re: Re: Re: One advantage John Stockon had over Kobe...

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
So did those baskets get points taken away for lack of style, or did they still count 2 or 3?

I didn't say they didn't count the same. I just said they were boring and not worthy of posing after.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:35 PM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

I want to draw a distinction. There are normal, spontaneous celebrations, such as pumping your fist in the air, or slapping a teammates back, etc., and then there is posing for the camera in the hopes of impressing the kids out there (in effect saying, "How cool am I?!?"). They are two different things. I enjoy the first, I hate the second.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:37 PM   #26
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

It's all about show and power, not about sportsmanship or professionalism or tactics. Baseball has turned in Homerball, Tennis has turned into power serves, Golf turned into power drives, Football has turned into over-agressive powerhits, Basketball turned into some god-awful with arena-shattering slams. Well, that's being hyperbolic but instead of a symphony or fine-tuned piece, it's self-centered headbanging rock and rap. Are we supposed to like that???

I have to agree with Franklin, despite his interminable style.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:38 PM   #27
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
I don't high-five my co-workers and say "Nice job on that T.P.S. report, Chuck. You da man!"

What if it was clear they got the memo and put the new cover sheet on the TPS reports?? Yyyyyeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:39 PM   #28
heybrad
Norm!!!

[dieter voice]Your Laker hating has grown tiresome. Now is the time on FOFC when we dance.[/dieter voice]

*dances away*
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:40 PM   #29
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
It's all about show and power, not about sportsmanship or professionalism or tactics. Baseball has turned in Homerball, Tennis has turned into power serves, Golf turned into power drives, Football has turned into over-agressive powerhits, Basketball turned into some god-awful with arena-shattering slams. Well, that's being hyperbolic but instead of a symphony or fine-tuned piece, it's self-centered headbanging rock and rap. Are we supposed to like that???

I have to agree with Franklin, despite his interminable style.

Yea, but you won't be happy until the nba goes back to two handed set shots.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:48 PM   #30
primelord
Pro Rookie

Kodos,

I understand what you are saying. But I think the fact that you hate the Lakers and Kobe so much is making you feel like it is a bigger deal than it is. Like I said before things like this are getting a bit out of hand in sports. I myself am tired of seeing NFL defenders dance after every single freakin tackle they make.

However in Kobe's case saying he struts and poses after every made shot is way over stating the situation. Granted he did a lot last night, but a) he didn't start doing it until the 4th quarter as they were erasing a 25 point Spurs lead and b) he did after Bowen had been yapping in his ear all night about how he was holding Kobe down.

and while Kobe may be over the top from time to time. I guess I would just rather watch a guy that takes it too far sometimes than just a boring vanilla player. Tim Duncan is an amazing basketball player. But he is boring as hell to watch. 1 ball fake, 15 foot shot off the galss, and plod down the floor. They count the same and he is great at what he does. He is just no fun.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:51 PM   #31
Kodos
Resident Alien

On the other hand, Duncan can be a nice lesson for young, impressionable kids on how to act like a decent, humble, classy person. I shudder to think what Kobe is teaching them.

Kobe is teaching them to think ME! ME! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:53 PM   #32
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yea, but you won't be happy until the nba goes back to two handed set shots.

Nah, I don't even remember that. I just like finesse and tactics instead of trash talking jungle ball, be-like-Mike self-centeredness.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:55 PM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Nah, I don't even remember that. I just like finesse and tactics instead of trash talking jungle ball, be-like-Mike self-centeredness.
Jungle ball?

Please elaborate.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 01:59 PM   #34
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
Jungle ball?

Please elaborate.

Ha, I'm listening to "Jungle Boogie" right now.

Quote:
I didn't say they didn't count the same. I just said they were boring and not worthy of posing after.

Watching Shaq's artistic, finesse-laden dunks can be pretty damn boring as well.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #35
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Ha, I'm listening to "Jungle Boogie" right now.

Watching Shaq's artistic, finesse-laden dunks can be pretty damn boring as well.

I wasn't arguing that Shaq was fun to watch.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:06 PM   #36
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I wasn't arguing that Shaq was fun to watch.

I know....just wanted to get a Laker jab in there. Funny thing is, I used to like the Lakers, but I'm just sick of seeing them win all the time now.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:08 PM   #37
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
ME! ME! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

THATS IT!

no more masturbating while posting for you!
Old 05-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #38
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
THATS IT!

no more masturbating while posting for you!

It'll be good for you... I post much more eloquently when I stop masturbating and have both hands on the keyboard.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:15 PM   #39
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Subby, long time term for mindless, thuggery basketball commonly played on the asphalt jungles in many parks and leagues. Even old men play jungle ball in pickup games at the Y.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:16 PM   #40
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Subby, long time term for mindless, thuggery basketball commonly played on the asphalt jungles in many parks and leagues. Even old men play jungle ball in pickup games at the Y.

Yeah.... go rent "NBA Street 2003" for the PS2 for an example.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:19 PM   #41
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
On the other hand, Duncan can be a nice lesson for young, impressionable kids on how to act like a decent, humble, classy person. I shudder to think what Kobe is teaching them.

Kobe is teaching them to think ME! ME! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

How is he teaching them "Me"? Celebrating his shots? He wasn't celebrating any more than normal...Kobe actually would be a good example for kids...he's an articulate kid who is fluent in Italian and is never in trouble off of the court.

Btw, did you see Duncan berating the officials last night? What kind of message does THAT send, if you're going to go down that avenue?

You're letting your hatred of the Lakers blind you. Get over it.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #42
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
Jungle ball?

Please elaborate.

Endless one on one isolation plays, poor passing, a lack of finesse plays such as pick and rolls, guys throwing up low percentage shots when they could work the ball around till someone actually got open, a lack of team play. The game played at its least developed level, streetball if you will.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:24 PM   #43
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by Iceberg
Endless one on one isolation plays, poor passing, a lack of finesse plays such as pick and rolls, guys throwing up low percentage shots when they could work the ball around till someone actually got open, a lack of team play. The game played at its least developed level, streetball if you will.

...or the NBA if you will.

Imo.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:40 PM   #44
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, I thought it might have been basketball while swinging from vines, or jumping off of trampolines or something equally rediculous.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:54 PM   #45
Kodos
Resident Alien

I actually saw some show the other day where they were playing with trampolines. It was actually part of the court. I think it was on TNN.

If I have blinders against the Lakers, you have them for them. If you can't see how Kobe is all about Kobe, that is amazing...
Old 05-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #46
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
If I have blinders against the Lakers, you have them for them. If you can't see how Kobe is all about Kobe, that is amazing...

I wonder who he should be "all about"? Maybe he should be "all about" Devean George next game, huh?

He's not strutting around on the court banging his chest. He smiles after he makes a big shot. Get over it. There are a ton of players in the league who show WAY more emotion than him.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #47
cuervo72
Head Coach

Slamball (it is on TNN)...it's an interesting concept really. Looks like it has potential to get pretty rough too.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:13 PM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by rexallllsc
I wonder who he should be "all about"? Maybe he should be "all about" Devean George next game, huh?

He's not strutting around on the court banging his chest. He smiles after he makes a big shot. Get over it. There are a ton of players in the league who show WAY more emotion than him.

He does more than smiles. He poses.

To help you understand better, did Michael Jordan annoy you when he "smiled"? He did the same types of things that Kobe does now. They were irritating when Jordan did them too.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:20 PM   #49
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
He does more than smiles. He poses.

To help you understand better, did Michael Jordan annoy you when he "smiled"? He did the same types of things that Kobe does now. They were irritating when Jordan did them too.

no, jordan never bothered me. He seemed as amazed at his own talents as the rest of us.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #50
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

MJ is/was the sacred cow, you are not going to have any more success criticizing him that I had.