Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #51
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Just caught up with Banshee. Ho. ly. shit.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #52
RainMaker
General Manager

Same here. Next week is going to be epic. Love the Proctor-Hood battles too.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:25 AM   #53
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Sirens is back on USA, still enjoying it.

I need to start watching this. They taped parts of the show 2 blocks from my place. Amazing how many production trucks are out there for a small cable TV show.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #54
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Really liked the first episode of 12 Monkeys but I still need to catch up on the other two.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #55
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Yes.

Like, it's easier to spot here in thread, but overall, "yes." The Marvel shows seem to have people who watch both of them, but the DC shows, it seems like most people watch one or two of the three. I haven't talked to anybody yet who watches Gotham, Arrow AND Flash.

Yeah, Flash seems to have hit the ground running (er, no pun intended). Oliver Queen took longer to figure out what the hell he was doing in Arrow.

I'm still trying to catch up on the early-season episodes of Flash, which I missed.

I've been watching Arrow, Flash, Gotham, SHIELD, Carter and Constantine. So far Gotham and Constantine are the weakest/most likely for me to drop from the rotation, but the rest I've found quite enjoyable. I'm curious/fearful of how long Flash can go with weekly villains and not have many duds (like the "cross the streams" ridiculousness).

Quite a few that I play hockey with have been watching them as well (except for Constantine) and most seem to prefer SHIELD and Arrow to the Flash while Gotham is the least liked/already dropped by a few.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, 'Empire' is still freaking awesome. And it keeps, stunningly, growing in the ratings week after week.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watching the Fresh off the Boat pilot. Seems pretty funny and the kid actors are great.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Watching the Fresh off the Boat pilot. Seems pretty funny and the kid actors are great.

I actually loved FOTB. It was casted really well, and I appreciated the racial humor.

Oh, and this hit the internet today:

Report: Netflix Making Legend of Zelda TV Series
Quote:
The Wall Street Journal reports Netflix and Nintendo are in the early stages of producing a live-action series based on The Legend of Zelda.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From about the 4th tier of upcoming shows, I thought this was kinda interesting, a sitcom being shot for TBS described as "Lost" meets "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

Honestly, if done with just the right writing, something that spoofs that sort of thing might have some comedy potential.

Ex-Days Of Our Lives Star James Scott Cast In Wrecked. - Days of Our Lives News - Soaps.com
Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #60
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Really liked the first episode of 12 Monkeys but I still need to catch up on the other two.

I'm really enjoying this show. Always a sucker for time travel and it's well done without getting into really confusing stuff. Definitely a step above the normal SyFy offerings.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #61
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

Not sure about it. I watched the two episodes and I would say I smiled at some things but never really laughed at it. Thought the mom was funny, kids were so-so, didn't find the dad funny at all.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The dad is great on Veep, I figure it'll take awhile to get him fleshed out as a character. I thought the lead kid and the mom are exceptional. I only saw the first episode though. Obviously this show should be paired with an existing hit until it gets an audience. Burying it on Tuesday will probably kill it.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:02 AM   #63
RainMaker
General Manager

Banshee continues to be crazy. Hood is going to eviscerate some people.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:26 AM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Btw, 'Empire' is still freaking awesome. And it keeps, stunningly, growing in the ratings week after week.

I'm not sure what Empire season 3 will look like. But enjoying the he'll out of it for now.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #65
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Better Call Saul looked promising last night. It is starting a bit slow, but it seems like they are working to really flesh out the background story of how Jimmy McGill morphs into Saul Goodman. Tonight is the second episode.

Spoiler
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The SLAP~! Debuts on Thursday on NBC. Reviews don't seem kind at all. Good news is that The Blacklist seems to be a timeslot proof hit. The fake Americans at 10pm bombed at 10pm despite doing better ratings than the Real Americans.

Rebooting Law and Order at 8pm and ER at 10pm for next season would seemingly give them a solid Thurs block.

Also Hannibal will be back at some point this summer.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #67
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
The SLAP~! Debuts on Thursday on NBC. Reviews don't seem kind at all. Good news is that The Blacklist seems to be a timeslot proof hit. The fake Americans at 10pm bombed at 10pm despite doing better ratings than the Real Americans.

Rebooting Law and Order at 8pm and ER at 10pm for next season would seemingly give them a solid Thurs block.

Also Hannibal will be back at some point this summer.

I saw a commercial for The Slap and thought it was some sort of SNL ad. It had one or two recognizable actors (I think Sylar from Heroes and someone else), and the commercial just looked bad/funny. It being a real show... don't know what to say. Is the whole series about Sylar slapping that kid?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:04 PM   #68
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't get why NBC made their own version of The Americans. The show struggles ratings wise on FX so why did they think it would do well on a network?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #69
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't get why NBC made their own version of The Americans. The show struggles ratings wise on FX so why did they think it would do well on a network?

Rip off something like Sons of Anarchy or the Walking Dead that puts asses in the seats, for real.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:40 AM   #70
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thought both episodes of Fresh Off The Boat were good this week as well. Too bad ABC buries it on Tuesday.

I didn't realize it was from the same creator of "Don't Trust the B....". I liked that show a lot.

Last edited by stevew : 02-13-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #71
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Is putting a comedy on Tuesday really "[burying] it"?

I really enjoy the show as well.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Is putting a comedy on Tuesday really "[burying] it"?

I really enjoy the show as well.

ABC Tuesdays have been awful for 5 or more years. It's in the same slot where Selfie got crushed.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #73
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Selfie mostly got crushed due to its bad title. Agent Carter apparently has been doing fine on ABC Tuesday.

Tuesdays are a decent night for a show, esp in the DVR age. And besides the Voice is coming back in like 2 weeks. That'll help.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-13-2015 at 11:21 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #74
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For instance this past Tuesday, Fresh Off the Boat was actually the 3rd highest rated show of the night - after NCIS and NCIS: New Orleans (but that's expected, somehow tons of folks watch NCIS).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-13-2015 at 11:25 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:03 AM   #75
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
They did kind of telegraph that one, but I still didnt think it'd be so brutal...

The one thing I've really disagreed with this season was
Spoiler
Old 02-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

so I need to be watching Banshee?
Old 02-14-2015, 02:39 AM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I didn't really like Taraji P Henson in Person of Interest a ton but she's totally Emmy worthy on Empire.

I also get a kick out of her FBI agent being named Carter. That's a nice little touch.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:59 AM   #78
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
so I need to be watching Banshee?
Hmm... When you're watching Game of Thrones do you find yourself thinking there's not enough violence?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #79
stevew
Hall Of Famer

wow, just watched the pilot. may be hooked already.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #80
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
wow, just watched the pilot. may be hooked already.
I think it'll be right up your alley. It's not going to get awards like the other prestige cable dramas, but it's up there for most exciting hour of TV each week.

Strike Back was the other recent Cinemax show I love. A (slightly) more realistic combo of 24 and The Unit. The Knick (directed by Steven Soderburgh and starring Clive Owen) has been getting rave reviews but isn't quite as accessible.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #81
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While I was very skeptical going in, so far "Agent Carter" has been excellent.
Yeah, it helps that they could make it a semi-period piece, and basically avoid the need for special effects, but I really think it's the miniseries format that helps the most there. Even the most boring character in the DC or Marvel universes can have a good arc if you limit it to 8 episodes. DC's doing the same thing on Netflix soon with characters like Black Panther.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Like, it's easier to spot here in thread, but overall, "yes." The Marvel shows seem to have people who watch both of them, but the DC shows, it seems like most people watch one or two of the three. I haven't talked to anybody yet who watches Gotham, Arrow AND Flash.

Yeah, Flash seems to have hit the ground running (er, no pun intended). Oliver Queen took longer to figure out what the hell he was doing in Arrow.

I'm still trying to catch up on the early-season episodes of Flash, which I missed.
I kind of watch all 3, but yeah I've fallen a couple weeks behind on Gotham, Flash seems to be spinning its wheels (running in place?), and even Arrow's fallen off this season (I'd like to blame it all on Laurel, but the writers have CW'd up Felicity's character and the constant focus on Oliver's desire not to kill people is dumb. Go back to Season 1 Ollie when he basically dickish Batman, running around cracking jokes and racking up a body count. Much more fun.) I also thought the crossover between Arrow and Flash was really well done (and probably helped Flash gain more viewers), but now just makes Team Arrow look like idiots. You're a huge underdog without Ollie, so you recruit fake Canary, Wildcat and random citizens like Cin instead of the actual superhero you know who can be there in 5 minutes? (And The Atom whenever they get around to advancing that plotline.) Then again, they ripped off the huge street battle from TDKR and kept the part where both sides run at each other and start using guns as clubs instead of just firing the guns, so I really need to stop analyzing the plot!

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-15-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think it'll be right up your alley. It's not going to get awards like the other prestige cable dramas, but it's up there for most exciting hour of TV each week.

Strike Back was the other recent Cinemax show I love. A (slightly) more realistic combo of 24 and The Unit. The Knick (directed by Steven Soderburgh and starring Clive Owen) has been getting rave reviews but isn't quite as accessible.

It's amazing how many boxes this show checks off for me. I guess Cinemax can do what it wants. Any episode would easily get an NC17. Just saw the fight with the MMA rapist. Damn.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #83
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I've really enjoyed the Flash. It's definitely a guilty pleasure type show as I generally prefer my stuff to be more realistic (The Americans being my favorite show). In part because Grant Gustin is as likeable on this show as he was unlikeable on Glee.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #84
RainMaker
General Manager

Banshee is just a real fun show. I've tried to explain it to people and always fail. But everyone who gives it a chance loves it.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Banshee is just a real fun show. I've tried to explain it to people and always fail. But everyone who gives it a chance loves it.

It's like if some Korean/Hong Kong guy covered Burn Notice and lost a bunch of stuff in translation and then realized American TV has no S&P.

Paraphrasing here but my wife was like "Can we watch something else, I don't wanna fall asleep while she's jerking off with the shower head"
Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #86
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's insane this season!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #87
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, it helps that they could make it a semi-period piece, and basically avoid the need for special effects, but I really think it's the miniseries format that helps the most there. Even the most boring character in the DC or Marvel universes can have a good arc if you limit it to 8 episodes. DC's doing the same thing on Netflix soon with characters like Black Panther.

I agree that the mini-series format works really well. It allows for a tighter, more focused plot. This series has been aided by some solid writing, great acting, and some really good villains. I've really enjoyed each episode. Hayley Atwell is fantastic as is the guy playing Jarvis. The Russian Black Widow agent is great. They've also done a really good job with a lot of the minor characters.

As for Netflix, it's Marvel, not DC, that's putting out mini-series and Black Panther (a Marvel, not DC, character) isn't among them. The first is "Daredevil" which comes out April 10th. Then a Jessica Jones series, then Power Man and Iron Fist, and, lastly, a Defenders series, which would likely bring all of those characters together.

As for Black Panther, he's going to be in the next Captain America movie and then get his own film at some point in the future. The date's been set, but I forget it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #88
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Amazon just announced its show pickups.

Amazon orders five new series, renews 'Mozart'
Quote:
They include: the Ridley Scott-produced adaptation of Dick's alternate history novel The Man in the High Castle

Fantastic!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #89
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

god damn, the Americans is a fucking cool show (did not see last night's episode yet). the cast is absolutely outstanding
Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 AM   #90
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
god damn, the Americans is a fucking cool show (did not see last night's episode yet). the cast is absolutely outstanding

Yes. Yes, it is.

Last night was pretty great. Creepy at times, but great.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #91
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yes. Yes, it is.

Last night was pretty great. Creepy at times, but great.

can't be creepier than loading that suitcase last week. holy cow that was cringe-worthy
Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #92
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
can't be creepier than loading that suitcase last week. holy cow that was cringe-worthy

Nothing compared to the tooth.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #93
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

It was creepy in an entirely different way. More uncomfortable than creepy.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #94
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I believe there is a new nominee for best series finale, comedy...
Old 02-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #96
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Also, this latest version of The Odd Couple wasn't all that bad. Not sure if they can keep it up, though.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fresh of the Boat seems to be a semi breakout hit. ABC has to be pleased with its performance

Also Courtney Love on empire is perfect casting. With the ratings it continues to draw I imagine we'll see a lot of well- known people appear. It could end up being the Love Boat for the hip hop generation.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #98
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
They ripped the hell out of Sheen.

I haven't watched in a few seasons, but that seemed a little petty. I kept thinking if they were going to rip him like that, they'd give him the last laugh.

Credit, though, for the constant reminders of how badly the show went after Sheen left.

Was that part of the plot - Walden and Charlie were married and adopted an Asian kid? Was he named Oliver? Oy.

Lorre's last vanity card:

Quote:
CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #491

I know a lot of you might be disappointed that you didn't get to see Charlie Sheen in tonight's finale. For the record, he was offered a role. Our idea was to have him walk up to the front door in the last scene, ring the doorbell, then turn, look directly into the camera and go off on a maniacal rant about the dangers of drug abuse. He would then explain that these dangers only applied to average people. That he was far from average. He was a ninja warrior from Mars. He was invincible.

And then we would drop a piano on him.

We thought it was funny.

He didn't.

Instead, he wanted us to write a heart-warming scene that would set up his return to primetime TV in a new sitcom called The Harpers starring him and Jon Cryer.

We thought that was funny too.

Very petty. Makes me want to give up The Big Bang Theory, which has had an awful season.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #99
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Parks and Rec finale was perfect.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:26 AM   #100
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just about caught up with Banshee.

The season 4 renewal is only for 8 episodes, which sucks. I also figure Anthony Starr has to start getting all the parts that Jeremy Renner passes on. And I can't help to think that if he was Rick Crimes that maybe he could save the character. He'd probably make a great James Bond as well.