Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #401
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The refs really ley ND get away with a lot on that first steal and layup.

The second one too. And I'm a Notre Dame fan.

All game I was saying these refs must have somewhere to go. They werent calling anything that didnt absolutely have to be called.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #402
bob
College Starter

Georgia Tech fired Brian Gregory.

Tech STILL owes Paul Hewitt $900,000 per year for the next 3 years.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #403
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Georgia Tech fired Brian Gregory.

Tech STILL owes Paul Hewitt $900,000 per year for the next 3 years.

Head scratcher for sure. Bobinski tried to fire him last season but couldn't raise the money. Gregory then got a bunch of transfers and turned them into a bubble/NIT team. But in truth, there's nothing much to build on for next season. Not sure who stepped up to the plate with cash, but that's the only way this makes sense.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #404
Logan
Head Coach

Pitt hiring Stallings from Vandy is really questionable.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #405
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Pitt hiring Stallings from Vandy is really questionable.

They hired a guy that blocked the transfer of one of their current players and forced him to Juco for a year before enrolling at Pitt. I think questionable is an understatement. There were rumors he may get axed from Vandy, who apparently has nixed the buyout so he could leave with no compensation. When another school is openly encouraging you to take their coach it's not a good sign.

For the people that wanted Dixon gone this is definitely a be careful what you wish for situation.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #406
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The search firm that led the Pitt search is headed by the former athletic director at Vanderbilt.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:14 PM   #407
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
The search firm that led the Pitt search is headed by the former athletic director at Vanderbilt.
Todd Turner? I would run screaming from anything that fraud was trying to sell...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #408
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
NMSU head coach Marvin Menzies is coming for an interview.
Menzies seems pretty solid - I'd be curious to see what he could do at a bigger school.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #409
Izulde
Head Coach

And it's Chris Beard from UA-LR going to UNLV. I actually quite like the hire. Questions about the jump up obviously, and the fact that he doesn't stay anywhere long, but he's engineered fast turnarounds every place he's been, and he did have a couple recruiting coups. A risk, but the potential upside is definitely there.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #410
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And it's Chris Beard from UA-LR going to UNLV. I actually quite like the hire. Questions about the jump up obviously, and the fact that he doesn't stay anywhere long, but he's engineered fast turnarounds every place he's been, and he did have a couple recruiting coups. A risk, but the potential upside is definitely there.

I don't know if Beard is going to matchup with the fan base here. He will struggle since the Rebels had 6 seniors plus Goodluck, Morgan and Zimmerman leaving plus Carter coming back from Feb ACL tear. Not sure the Rebels can handle 9 new players but they were playing with Intramural guys on the bench for the MWC tourney. Think UNLV only has 3 new guys coming in next season.

But it's still not as bad as Tulane hiring Mike Dunleavy Sr. Why unless he is holding the spot for his son?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #411
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Todd Turner? I would run screaming from anything that fraud was trying to sell...

*Every NC State fan nods head vigorously*
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #412
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Kirschman: For Pitt, Kevin Stallings hire underwhelming at best | Lauren Kirschman | timesonline.com

Quote:
When searching for a coach, Barnes used the Collegiate Sports Association search firm, whose founder and president is former Vanderbilt athletic director Todd Turner. Turner hired Stallings as the Commodores’ coach. Barnes was also Turner's deputy athletic director at Washington.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #413
CraigSca
Pro Starter

My favorite tweet from Sunday: "Congratulations to VACATED for yet another glorious run to the Final Four!"
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #414
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm starting to think Thad Matta is going to be retiring soon. Four out of five freshman have left the program...definitely something is going on.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #415
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Geez, I'm not sure how much more of the KU whining I can take in the KC area. Fans and media all bitching about Bill Self's Elite 8 record (2-6). This just in, there's nothing wrong with losing a game where you likely face another top ten team. That's part of the single elimination format. Quit your bitching.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #416
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The reflections on the floor from the jumbotron are really annoying.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #417
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Head scratcher for sure. Bobinski tried to fire him last season but couldn't raise the money. Gregory then got a bunch of transfers and turned them into a bubble/NIT team. But in truth, there's nothing much to build on for next season. Not sure who stepped up to the plate with cash, but that's the only way this makes sense.

This is turning into a real pile of poo for AD Bobinski. His first choice Bryce Drew, who, if you believe the insiders, was supposed to be announced as the next coach after the NIT, chose Vanderbilt. Now the search is supposedly centered around Cuonzo Martin, who would be fine and given that it's been two weeks probably a coup at this point, but he's expensive and when you're already paying two ex-coaches backing up the truck to a job hopping middle of the conference guy seems strange.

Oh well. Like I had mentioned previously, I never in a million years thought my alma mater would have a better basketball program than the team I grew up loving, but for the better part of the last decade that's what it has been (oh yeah, Tommy Amaker refused to interview as well).
Old 04-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #418
MrBug708
Head Coach

Martin could get fired for all the mess with sexual harassment and his staff so he might jump cheaply.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #419
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good news for IU fans, as Thomas Bryant will be returning next season. The Hoosiers should be pretty loaded with talent.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #420
digamma
Torchbearer

Martin also has no buy out because he hasn't ever signed a contract and is just being paid on an at will basis off of a term sheet.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #421
Butter
Coordinator

Speaking as a Dayton fan, we owe a debt of gratitude to Georgia Tech for taking Brian Gregory off of our hands. The yearly flirting with the NCAAs and usually being relegated to the NIT or worse was an unshakable part of the Brian Gregory era that took him leaving to move on from.

Hopefully GT will find a good fit.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #422
bob
College Starter

I thought Gregory was going to be the sacrificial lamb until we got done paying off Hewitt and could get another coach. I didn't realize that the contract was STILL going to be paying out 8 years later.

So now really the next guy is the sacrificial lamb... who wants that?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #423
nol
Banned

Quote:
Oh well. Like I had mentioned previously, I never in a million years thought my alma mater would have a better basketball program than the team I grew up loving, but for the better part of the last decade that's what it has been (oh yeah, Tommy Amaker refused to interview as well).

Ain't that the truth. The Iowa State years pre-Hoiberg ended up being lean enough that I would've had a better chance of being an end-of-the-bench walk-on there than at Harvard.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #424
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now the search is supposedly centered around Cuonzo Martin, who would be fine and given that it's been two weeks probably a coup at this point, but he's expensive and when you're already paying two ex-coaches backing up the truck to a job hopping middle of the conference guy seems strange.

I've been kinda off the story since seeing Drew headed to Vandy, so this is news to me.

Oh sweet Jesus, you have GOT to be kidding me. I already suffered through that useless SOB when he was in Knoxville. Less than zero personality, can't recruit for shit. If that's the choice then why not save time & just sign an agreement to pay him for 5-6 years without having him waste space on the bench. He has as much business coaching in the ACC as I do, and would last about as long.

edit: It struck me that I'd rather see them dig up the corpse of former high school coach Ron Link (questionable ethics & all) & put him on the bench than Martin. And that gave me an idea ... there might actually be current high school coaches, living, that would be a better choice. Certainly ones that would be at least equally inspiring. GT athletics are like a double swerve storyline at this point. The last idiot was clearly working for the NWO to destroy the program, so when he was replaced everyone just figured "okay, that's fixed". What if it's really a second mole? At this point I'm starting to seriously wonder.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-07-2016 at 01:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #425
MrBug708
Head Coach

The knock on Martin is he can recruit but can't coach
Old 04-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #426
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The knock on Martin is he can recruit but can't coach

The knock on him in Knoxville was pretty much everything (yes, that does include not being Bruce Pearl which certainly won't be a factor replacing Gregory but still)

You might as well, literally, not have a head coach as have him on the bench.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #427
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

25 year old Tyler Summitt who got a head coaching job at 23 because his mom is Pat Summitt resigned at Louisiana Tech today after apparently he had a relationship with a player. He's married.

Oops. Just funny they thought he'd be a good hire in the first place. But at 25, it's not like he can't bounce back. Go be an assistant somewhere for a while elsewhere and he'll get another shot somewhere else.

Tyler Summitt resigns as Louisiana Tech women's coach
Old 04-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #428
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just funny they thought he'd be a good hire in the first place.

Uh ... why?

I mean, if there's ever been someone genetically disposed to being a good young coach it'd be him. And his time in Knoxville saw him become a de facto coach for several years anyway, the confidant of the players type coach (that was frequently discussed from as far back as the latter part of his high school career).

Now whether a guy's first official coaching job should be a D1 program, one that has a significant amount of history to boot, that's probably a reasonable question.

But if there was ever anyone literally born to coach the game, he's the most likely guy ever.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #429
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Uh ... why?

I mean, if there's ever been someone genetically disposed to being a good young coach it'd be him. And his time in Knoxville saw him become a de facto coach for several years anyway, the confidant of the players type coach (that was frequently discussed from as far back as the latter part of his high school career).

Now whether a guy's first official coaching job should be a D1 program, one that has a significant amount of history to boot, that's probably a reasonable question.

But if there was ever anyone literally born to coach the game, he's the most likely guy ever.

I thought the La. Tech was a reach given he'd never been a head coach, I know his mom was super young when she got a job and yeah...I bet they wanted to strike lighting after an alum turned them down, but...I think he probably needed more time as an assistant.

Just seems like a tough spot to put a kid into, married or not, at that age with this generation of player. That said, Mickie DeMoss was his assistant so I assume she did it out of respect for his mom and having known him most his life.

They were a .500 team, so they weren't terrible under this watch. And I assume being a Summitt will enable him to get back on his feet somewhere down the road as an assistant if he wants that. Just thought he's really young.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:18 AM   #430
Butter
Coordinator

Sounds like the Bengals hiring Dave Shula.

Rumors are now that Ga Tech might be after Josh Pastner. Sounds like he would be coming over in similar circumstances to Gregory... with his former employer wishing him good-bye and good luck, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:49 AM   #431
digamma
Torchbearer

Yes, Butter, he seems to be doing a good job of bringing the Memphis program down. I guess the only saving grace is that but for the NIT blip this year, the GT program can't get much lower. What a mess.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #432
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
25 year old Tyler Summitt who got a head coaching job at 23 because his mom is Pat Summitt resigned at Louisiana Tech today after apparently he had a relationship with a player. He's married.

Oops. Just funny they thought he'd be a good hire in the first place. But at 25, it's not like he can't bounce back. Go be an assistant somewhere for a while elsewhere and he'll get another shot somewhere else.

Tyler Summitt resigns as Louisiana Tech women's coach

Allegedly he knocked her up.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #433
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Yeah I JUST read this. I didn't realize THAT. Geez man. I mean, he wouldn't be the first coach/professor to end up leaving his wife for a student, but...goodness.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/4/7/...-former-player

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-08-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #434
MrBug708
Head Coach

Memphis is so lucky
Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #435
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

He was just showing her how to get to the hole.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #436
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you Georgia Tech.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #437
Logan
Head Coach

I know it doesn't move the needle here, and only represents about 5% of the work that needs to be done, but I'm really happy and excited about the staff Steve Pikiell has brought with him to Rutgers. He's bringing a guy with him from Stony Brook with a solid background, is keeping the one good recruiter from Jordan's staff, but more impressively has brought in Karl Hobbs from UConn and now Brandin Knight from Pitt.

You can legitimately make the case that all of these guys are more qualified as HCs than our prior three, and it's a really deep bench now.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #438
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like Tubby Smith might be moving to Memphis
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #439
Izulde
Head Coach

What a clusterfuck this is turning into. Beard's on the shortlist of Texas Tech candidates. Has a $1 million buyout at UNLV and a 30 day back out clause. We're already going to have a problem filling roster spots, and now this shit. That said, I won't blame him if he leaves.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #440
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, Butter, he seems to be doing a good job of bringing the Memphis program down. I guess the only saving grace is that but for the NIT blip this year, the GT program can't get much lower. What a mess.
The new UMass AD Ryan Bamford came from GT and is doing a pretty phenomenal job... I'm terrified he'll leave us soon, and GT would make a lot of sense for him, so I hope y'all figure it out before then!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #441
Izulde
Head Coach

Annnnnd rumor has it Beard's been offered the TT job and he's accepted.

JFC.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:03 AM   #442
corbes
College Benchwarmer

If you're UNLV, don't you tell Beard to get lost at this point regardless of whether he takes the other job?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:42 AM   #443
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The new UMass AD Ryan Bamford came from GT and is doing a pretty phenomenal job... I'm terrified he'll leave us soon, and GT would make a lot of sense for him, so I hope y'all figure it out before then!

I love Bamford. He was always really communicative, not afraid to say hello or take input from all kinds of alumni and fans. Fresh, positive voice.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #444
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
What a clusterfuck this is turning into. Beard's on the shortlist of Texas Tech candidates. Has a $1 million buyout at UNLV and a 30 day back out clause. We're already going to have a problem filling roster spots, and now this shit. That said, I won't blame him if he leaves.

Pretty sure he didn't have the backout clause so the buyout stands. Now the Rebels have 2 scholarship players and no head coach. Heard he only had 5 guys visiting for the spring visit period so they were screwed no matter what but will probably set the program back even more now.

Maybe they can go poach Bishop Gorman's basketball coach so UNLV can have HS coaches for both major sports. Didn't the baseball coach get fired for a DUI also?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #445
Logan
Head Coach

Thought I saw something from USAToday that George Karl was interested in UNLV?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #446
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Thought I saw something from USAToday that George Karl was interested in UNLV?

That would be right up Tina's alley. A name who probably can't recruit.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #447
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Supposedly Ryan Miller is getting a second interview for UNLV today. You know, the associate coach that we let go a few days ago. Awkward...
Old 04-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #448
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Supposedly Ryan Miller is getting a second interview for UNLV today. You know, the associate coach that we let go a few days ago. Awkward...
No Stacey Augmon?
Old 04-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #449
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No Stacey Augmon?

He was the other coach let go by Beard. Stacey was also one of the first 3 interviewed and to be honest it was probably a token interview. He and his friends have been in full court press mode about getting him hired since before Rice got fired midseason. He's probably about #999 on their list right now.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #450
Izulde
Head Coach

Significant portion of the fanbase wants Stacey, but imo he's nowhere near ready. I'm intrigued by Karl, especially if he brings assistants more familiar with the college game. Stacey would probably come back as an assistant then, I bet. He was assistant for Karl on Nuggets iirc.