Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #151
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ugh, Stafford really does have a five cent brain to go with that golden arm. Can't run laterally across the pocket with the ball cocked like that
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #152
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Arizona DB Tyrann Mathieu after the game against the 49ers today: "Their passing game has been simplified so much, it was easy for us to anticipate routes."

That's...extremely worrisome.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #153
Danny
Head Coach

Not sure if This came up or not, but I can't stand the direct TV commercial line of don't be this version of the NFL player. I do see they changed mannings already. Just a bad choice in general
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought high voices Peyton could easily be seen as pretty homophobic. I can't believe that passed the cut.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #155
TroyF
Coordinator

Thought that was an incomplete pass, but it was a stupid move.

I was cheering for Detroit to get a TD after the Thomas fumble and was very happy they did. Calvin Johnson single handedly prevented two pic 6's by Talib. The one he actually caught was flippin amazing. The Lions did a very good job on the Denver pass rush today. I was expecting Wade to call some blitzes up the middle, but they never really came.

The Denver OLine is still horrible and will be the reason Denver won't go far if they continue to play like this. You MUST be able to run the ball at least a little bit and this team simply cannot do it.

The defense continues to be amazing. They gave up one TD drive of any substance this game. The other TD was a sudden change. Then the final drive which just ended.

3-0. We'll take it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #156
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Thought that was an incomplete pass, but it was a stupid move.

I was cheering for Detroit to get a TD after the Thomas fumble and was very happy they did. Calvin Johnson single handedly prevented two pic 6's by Talib. The one he actually caught was flippin amazing. The Lions did a very good job on the Denver pass rush today. I was expecting Wade to call some blitzes up the middle, but they never really came.

The Denver OLine is still horrible and will be the reason Denver won't go far if they continue to play like this. You MUST be able to run the ball at least a little bit and this team simply cannot do it.

The defense continues to be amazing. They gave up one TD drive of any substance this game. The other TD was a sudden change. Then the final drive which just ended.

3-0. We'll take it.

Manning looked almost sharp tonight. 75% completion and 335 yards passing and the defense has been great . +6 Turnover ratio and 11 sacks.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #157
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Who knows what any of these coaches will do, but Michigan seems the perfect fit for Harbaugh. He can win national championships there and if he does he'll be a legend. In Indy he might win Super Bowls, but he'll never get the kind of adulation he will in Ann Arbor.
I don't think Harbaugh stays at Michigan for life. Just too abrasive and I think he'll want to win a Super Bowl at some point... But I definitely thinks he brings Michigan back to prominence and gets at least a CFP appearance before he's willing to entertain offers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Our season's first 50-burger. I don't see it as running up the score - you have to keep playing in this league even when it gets out of hand. But I have no idea why Brady played at all in the fourth quarter, let alone that entire 10-minute drive.
You really can't figure that one out? I don't think our defense is good enough to make a serious run at 19-0*, but I absolutely think the single season points record, single season passing yard mark, and receiving TD mark for Gronk are all in play as long as Gronk stays healthy. Tom Brady is pissed, the coaching staff is pissed, the fans are pissed (not that they really matter), and they are absolutely on a rampage even more so than 2007 (which was really just an absurdly talented team.) October 18th will be a primetime bloodbath.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #158
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The best way to get revenge, and I guarantee you everyone in that New England organization agrees, is to hoist another Lombardi Trophy.

Beating Jacksonville 44-17 or 51-17 makes no difference. No one cares who sets points records. The team that held the single-season points record for almost a decade before the 2007 Patriots squad didn't even make the Super Bowl. Despite the incessant commercials, fantasy football still doesn't win games for teams.

I think we can agree New England has a much better chance of repeating if Tom Brady stays healthy. And, if not, it's better if Jimmy Garoppolo gets a few more snaps here and there anyway.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #159
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The best way to get revenge, and I guarantee you everyone in that New England organization agrees, is to hoist another Lombardi Trophy.

Beating Jacksonville 44-17 or 51-17 makes no difference. No one cares who sets points records. The team that held the single-season points record for almost a decade before the 2007 Patriots squad didn't even make the Super Bowl. Despite the incessant commercials, fantasy football still doesn't win games for teams.

I think we can agree New England has a much better chance of repeating if Tom Brady stays healthy. And, if not, it's better if Jimmy Garoppolo gets a few more snaps here and there anyway.

Exactly. one stupid ass goofy play in a 40 point blowout and that pissed off coach and pissed off fan base will be screwed.

Either Brady or Gronk go down and the Patriots are simply not the favorites to win the Super Bowl. If all the Patriots needed was cheating allegations to win, they would have won about 10 straight Super Bowls as they have been around for a long, long time.

Simply put, the Patriots with a healthy Brady and Gronk are the best team in the AFC right now and I'm not sure it's real close. But they better stay really pissed off, because if that offense has an off game in the playoffs, they will not win a title. It isn't nearly as good as it was last year. That will come back to hurt them if the O has a bad day at the office in January.

If they do win, it will be because they are the best team in the league. . . . not because of any anger at how they have been treated. That BS only goes so far. The Patriots didn't go without a title for as long as they did because they stopped paying attention to details and stopped being angry., They didn't win because they weren't the best team, had some unlucky injuries, had a few horrible calls go against them and played a couple of better teams.

If they don't win this year it will be one of those reasons. Nothing more, nothing less.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #160
molson
General Manager

Bellichick has always been slow to pull his starters in blowouts. Two seasons ago, no other QB got a single passing attempt all season. The year before that, the backup QB got 4 attempts all season. Watching the end of Pats' blowout wins is always a little scary. I don't know if the purpose is running up the score. They don't really strike me as an emotional team. There was a big contrast in expressed emotion between the Bills and the Pats last week both before and during the game, for example - it always seems as though whoever the Pats are playing are more emotionally-driven than the Pats are. Maybe they're all just masters at keeping it all in, but, I think there's more going on here than rage-winning. I don't think that really works in the NFL, I've seen too many teams talk shit all week and fall flat on their face. Bellichick just tends to use his best players whenever, and doesn't like to run the team differently in garbage time. Gronkowski broke his forearm blocking on an extra point kick on a late TD with the Pats up by 35. I don't quite get it, but Bellichick does know more about football than me and has had some success in this league, so, keep doing what you're doing Bill.

Last edited by molson : 09-28-2015 at 01:05 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #161
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm not saying I agree with it, and I'm not saying it actually makes the players any better. But I am saying it's clearly playing a factor in why we're throwing the ball up 20 in the 4th quarter against Buffalo instead of making a more concerted effort to kill clock or leaving the starters in and continuing to run the normal offense late against Jacksonville.

Although, as Molson points out, this is a Belichick trademark. Even on defense Chandler Jones played 98% of the snaps two seasons ago (and he's the one who took Gronk's spot on the PAT blocking team)... I believe Rob Ninkovich played every single snap last year before the meaningless Week 17 game where we actually did sit a few starters. Devin McCourty is close to 100%.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-28-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #162
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Per Deadspin this morning, since they started tracking it, no team has ever ended every drive in a punt. No turnovers, no nothing. Every drive ends in a punt.

Till the Bears yesterday.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #163
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Per Deadspin this morning, since they started tracking it, no team has ever ended every drive in a punt. No turnovers, no nothing. Every drive ends in a punt.

I guess the positive you can take out of that is that it meant Cutler didn't throw a pick 6.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #164
Butter
Coordinator

I was wondering what Steve Smith was going on about after his last touchdown yesterday, I was glad Deadspin gave us a lip reading.

But it was kinda fun to see Baltimore lose again after the CBS announcers spent so much time talking about how Flacco and others were basically saying "we shouldn't be losing to this team" as though the Bengals haven't made the playoffs 4 years in a row and the Ravens could just will themselves to the win if they wanted it enough.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #165
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What offense better - Mizzou or Rams?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #166
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I was wondering what Steve Smith was going on about after his last touchdown yesterday, I was glad Deadspin gave us a lip reading.

Okay, can you give a brief synapsis of what Deadspin says Steve Smith was saying? Because I don't know what you're talking about.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #167
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
What offense better - Mizzou or Rams?

Depends. Do the Rams have to face SEC defenses?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #168
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, can you give a brief synapsis of what Deadspin says Steve Smith was saying? Because I don't know what you're talking about.

He was turned and talking to... nobody after his 2nd touchdown catch and apparently says:

"24? Trash.
27? Trash.
43? F**kboy.
20? *unknown insult*"

These all being numbers of some of the Bengals secondary. Looks like it was actually SBNation that had this.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #169
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Arizona DB Tyrann Mathieu after the game against the 49ers today: "Their passing game has been simplified so much, it was easy for us to anticipate routes."

That's...extremely worrisome.

Not if your a Cards fan.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #170
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
He was turned and talking to... nobody after his 2nd touchdown catch and apparently says:

"24? Trash.
27? Trash.
43? F**kboy.
20? *unknown insult*"

These all being numbers of some of the Bengals secondary. Looks like it was actually SBNation that had this.

I'm okay with it until he drops the unknown insult. That's when shit gets real.

Haha, no shocker, Steve Smith is still Steve Smith. Thanks Butter.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #171
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Like I said enjoy John Fox as your HC.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #172
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Like I said enjoy John Fox as your HC.

I don't think you can blame John Fox for Jimmy Clausen.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #173
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interested to see if KC can remain the only NFL team to never lose at Lambeau. Should be a fun matchup and Reid has had a long time to gameplan for this one.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #174
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I don't think you can blame John Fox for this travesty of a team the prior management built.

Fixed.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #175
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Interested to see if KC can remain the only NFL team to never lose at Lambeau. Should be a fun matchup and Reid has had a long time to gameplan for this one.

You're going down! Aaron Rodgers is going to discount-double check your defense all night long!

Last edited by Kodos : 09-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #176
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I thought high voices Peyton could easily be seen as pretty homophobic. I can't believe that passed the cut.

I think people these days get themselves worked up to be offended at pretty tame stuff to feel self-important and relish the victim role, fueled by shame weight of social media.

So I'm glad to see a company willing to put something out that is risqué for once (although, to be fair, until you pointed it out, it never occurred to me to put one with the other).

Old 09-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #177
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
...(although, to be fair, until you pointed it out, it never occurred to me to put one with the other).

I never made the connection either.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #178
Grover
Pro Starter

I'd never thought of that connotation either.

I'm just offended at how bad the commercial is.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #179
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Fixed.
Or for his starting QB and 2 best WR's being injured.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #180
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Or for his starting QB and 2 best WR's being injured.

All I know is what I saw in Denver with Fox. Great example of Kubiak replacing Fox was in the game last night.Kubiak showed a long FG attempt and forced Detroit to use one of their timeouts early in the game. Mind games that John Fox just never used. Reminds me of Shanahan being cerebral enough to think of every strategy to use to their advantage. Kubiak picked up some good things from the tan man of Denver. Kubiak is getting 2 thumbs up from me with how he's leading this team. It was a great choice by Elway IMO.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #181
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

+1

The only one I find remotely funny is the one with Andrew Luck.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #182
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd never thought of that connotation either.

That's the funniest part of this little sidebar conversation actually. You're dead on correct--it is easily the worst of those commercials. They're all mostly lame, but they're usually good enough to at least get a chuckle out of me. The Peyton one is just dumb and not funny.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #183
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
+1

The only one I find remotely funny is the one with Andrew Luck.

Yeah the Luck one is the best. First part with the fantasy stuff, apparently Luck is very anti-fantasy, so that is funny. And his line is simplistically awesome in the second part: "I happen to not be wearing a shirt." lol

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-28-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #184
Suicane75
Coordinator

My friend and I were having a discussion about those commercials last week. At least with the Rob Lowe ones they tried to make the other Rob Lowe have normal character traits, with these new crop of commercials they're just trying to be as dumb as possible. Hi, I'm Suicane. And I'm Suicane with a bag of cheetos for a penis.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #185
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So, for football season DirecTV decided to dump the commercials with the smoking hot chick in a bikini to go with lame "hi I'm" commercials. Rather stupid business decision.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #186
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
So, for football season DirecTV decided to dump the commercials with the smoking hot chick in a bikini to go with lame "hi I'm" commercials. Rather stupid business decision.

Not really. How many people really would have remembered those bikini commercials were for DirecTV? I didn't until you mentioned it. These ones are obviously for DirecTV. Much, much smarter business decision.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #187
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Depends. Do the Rams have to face SEC defenses?

Probably worse..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Not really. How many people really would have remembered those bikini commercials were for DirecTV? I didn't until you mentioned it. These ones are obviously for DirecTV. Much, much smarter business decision.

Yep.

And I've actually quoted at least one of those spots a couple of times already, despite relatively few exposures to them.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #189
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yep.

And I've actually quoted at least one of those spots a couple of times already, despite relatively few exposures to them.

Has any one of those commercials left you with a positive feeling towards DirecTV?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #190
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Has any one of those commercials left you with a positive feeling towards DirecTV?

Isn't a commercial that entertains you but you can't remember what it is for just a completely waste of money? Even one that leaves you with a mediocre feeling is better than no feeling at all.

Remember how all those super annoying "HeadOn" commercials led to massive profits for that company?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #191
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I would purposely avoid buying something just because they have stupid advertisements. Stupidity should not be rewarded.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #192
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, then what if I said that I though having a hot chick in a bikini to sell satellite TV was pretty fucking stupid?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #193
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
All I know is what I saw in Denver with Fox. Great example of Kubiak replacing Fox was in the game last night.Kubiak showed a long FG attempt and forced Detroit to use one of their timeouts early in the game. Mind games that John Fox just never used. Reminds me of Shanahan being cerebral enough to think of every strategy to use to their advantage. Kubiak picked up some good things from the tan man of Denver. Kubiak is getting 2 thumbs up from me with how he's leading this team. It was a great choice by Elway IMO.
Kubiak might've also learned some things during the 8 years he coached in Houston. I rate Kubiak and Fox about equally - definitely find it hard to give 2 thumbs up to the guy who thought forcing Peyton Manning under center with that O-Line was the best course of action. It's been obvious to anyone watching the games Manning needs to be in shotgun, how does the head coach/offensive "guru" not see that during training camp or preseason?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Absolutely a net positive.

They've used one of the relative few pro athletes that I find genuinely likable and actually care about, and they've done so in a way that highlights his ability to go to great lengths to make himself the butt of a joke. (The willingness to be ridiculous is really PM's strength as a marketer). And they get another half point of credit for using his brother in another spot.

Could the spot(s) be better? Sure, same as with most spots really. From a professional standpoint they used an exceptionally well-liked celebrity (last I saw, circa 2013, his Q-score was on par with Michael Jordan) that has tremendous (personal) brand awareness, they played to one of his strongest suits in designing the spot and they maintained their focus on an existing campaign (the whole "don't be that guy" bit) Creatively, it's a winner.

edit to add: Given my low amount of TV viewing, I doubt I could identify more than a couple dozen current ads off the top of my head. This one has aired for, what, two weeks? And I'm already referencing it in unrelated conversations without being prompted, I can tell you who its for and I'll still actively stop to watch it if it airs & I notice. Yeah, I'd say that's a positive outcome for them (albeit one with limited potential since I've been with Dish for more than two decades)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-28-2015 at 02:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #195
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Kubiak might've also learned some things during the 8 years he coached in Houston. I rate Kubiak and Fox about equally - definitely find it hard to give 2 thumbs up to the guy who thought forcing Peyton Manning under center with that O-Line was the best course of action. It's been obvious to anyone watching the games Manning needs to be in shotgun, how does the head coach/offensive "guru" not see that during training camp or preseason?

I agree with that and many including me think it was a move to get Manning to hang it up over the offseason.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #196
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree with that and many including me think it was a move to get Manning to hang it up over the offseason.
Then I'd have a lot more questions for Elway/Kubiak. I'm on record as being a Brock Osweiler skeptic, but do even his supporters think he'd be a better starter for a team with Denver's defense? This isn't a situation like New Orleans where it's going to get ugly real soon with their cap situation, even if Drew Brees plays well they probably have a 10 win/NFC Divisional Round ceiling, and it might be better to start the rebuild early. Denver's still the 2nd best AFC team (unless you're a Cincinnati believer) with a legitimate SB chance and they'd rather start Brock Osweiler over Peyton Manning??? I don't buy it... I think Kubiak is just a coach who believes his system is so great it took a whole lot to get him to adjust to his players strengths instead, which isn't the mark of a good coach.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-28-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #197
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Denver's issues seem to be:

1. Peyton changing how he's played for 16 seasons to going under center.
2. Denver's OL with guys either new to the team or in different spots (many never playing together).

The first seems to be better with the pistol/shotgun lineup and time should fix option 2. Denver has already won two of their toughest 4 road games and their OL hasn't even gelled yet. I'd be pretty optimistic if I was a Broncos fan. If the OL can get a little better (esp run blocking), they could be a tough out with that defense and those WRs.

Last edited by Arles : 09-28-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #198
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Panthers agree to trade for Bears' Jared Allen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-jared-allen/
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Kubiak is just a coach who believes his system is so great it took a whole lot to get him to adjust to his players strengths instead, which isn't the mark of a good coach.

That take on it would require me to believe that this also doesn't involve Elway's ego.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #200
Kodos
Resident Alien

When has Kubiak been impressive as a head coach? He seems like a very good OC, but I haven't been impressed with him as the HC.