Rider Of Rohan

Cool Seattle Seahawks = Super Bowl Champions

It deserves its own thread.

WOO-HOO!!!

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Another thread? Now you're just being arrogant.

Congrats Seattle.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Congratulations, Seahawks fans. You earned this one.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Travis
Pro Rookie

Finally

How I wish I didn't have to be at work today.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Wondering how UW fans first reacted to Pete Carroll's hiring to the Seahawks? I'm sure how they feel now... but wondering how they felt then.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Blackadar
Retired

Gratz to the Seattle fans.

Now they won't have to whine about not getting close calls when they lost to the Steelers a few years ago.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Travis
Pro Rookie

lol, you bring that up more than any Seahawk fan I know.

Last edited by Travis : 02-03-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Wondering how UW fans first reacted to Pete Carroll's hiring to the Seahawks? I'm sure how they feel now... but wondering how they felt then.
Personally, I was hopeful but far from sold. I had the same questions as most folks did - Carroll's act works well at the college level, but could he get professional athletes to buy in to his mantras?

I was never someone that hated Carroll. In fact, I liked him a lot, and while it sucked to see my Huskies get stomped by his USC teams, that was more Washington's fault for hiring a fraud like Ty Willingham.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
Travis
Pro Rookie

I think my favorite "stat" about the team.

Players on the Seahawks final active roster by draft round selection.
Rd1 (6)
Rd2 (6)
Rd3 (5)
Rd4 (6)
Rd5 (5)
Rd6 (2)
Rd7 (4)
UDFA (19)

In Schneider and Carroll we trust.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Rd1 (6)
Rd2 (6)
Rd3 (5)
Rd4 (6)
Rd5 (5)
Rd6 (2)
Rd7 (4)
UDFA (19)

Adderall (53)

I kid I kid
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Rd1 (6)
Rd2 (6)
Rd3 (5)
Rd4 (6)
Rd5 (5)
Rd6 (2)
Rd7 (4)
UDFA (19)

It's also gratifying to see how many Pac-12 kids are finding success with Seattle via the UDFA route: Baldwin, Kearse, Smith, Coleman, Morgan
Old 02-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Old 02-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Is this thread about the Seahawks or Philip Seymour Hoffman?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Congrats, guys
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Phillip Seahawk Hoffman?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Congrats, guys
Thanks Vince. I'm not sure it's really, fully settled in yet.

I'm looking forward to many more great battles with SF - it really does make for a great rivalry. It's also a little bittersweet for me as SF is my 2nd favorite city and I have a lot of relatives in the Bay Area. Hopefully both franchises can manage the salary cap well and keep it going.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Thanks Vince. I'm not sure it's really, fully settled in yet.

I'm looking forward to many more great battles with SF - it really does make for a great rivalry. It's also a little bittersweet for me as SF is my 2nd favorite city and I have a lot of relatives in the Bay Area. Hopefully both franchises can manage the salary cap well and keep it going.

If it's anything like my experience with the Giants winning the World Series in 2010, it's going to be a while before it really settles in

Definitely. It's always more fun when you have to earn it. What players, if any, are you guys losing after this season? 49ers are looking at some tough decisions, as Boldin, Whitner and one of our CBs whose name is escaping me at the moment are all pending FA's. highly unlikely that they can keep all three.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-03-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really happy for all my Seattle friends. Having lived there for 5 years most of them are great fans who supported the team through good and bad times. And was really excited to see a Husky score an amazing TD in the Superbowl. I think Kearse is really developing into a weapon. He has had some amazing grabs this year.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #19
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Once they draft ASJ you might be able to see more of that.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Once they draft ASJ you might be able to see more of that.

He would be so sick in that offense.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #21
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What players, if any, are you guys losing after this season? 49ers are looking at some tough decisions, as Boldin, Whitner and one of our CBs whose name is escaping me at the moment are all pending FA's. highly unlikely that they can keep all three.

Jumping in on this one, curious to see if Dawg agrees with me or not. Seems likely that Sidney Rice is gone due to his contract. The guy I read who seems pretty plugged in to how this stuff works figures that one of Red Bryant or Mebane is likely let to (assuming Bryant if it is one of those two) and that Clemons is probably done. Those moves hopefully meaning that Avril and Bennett are both back.

Wilson has one more year before he needs to be redone contract wise and sounds like the priority to extend at this point is Thomas and that a Sherman extension will depend on how everything else goes.

A few other smaller pieces (like McQuistan and Giacomini) and they probably add a few guys to the offensive line via draft. So in the long run, they'll need last years draft to contribute more next year and to draft well coming up to replace the depth they're likely to lose. Given how well the D Line worked with the rotation they liked to employ, I'd imagine this is a big priority to replenish.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #22
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I believe the following guys are free agents:
  • Michael Bennett
  • Golden Tate
  • Tony McDaniel
  • Clinton McDonald
  • Walter Thurmond
  • Steven Hauschka
  • Breno Giacomini
  • Paul McQuistan
  • Michael Robinson

(there are a few more, but those are the most noteworthy)

Also, there will be some push to get extensions for Earl Thomas and possibly Richard Sherman, though they might be better off letting him play on his 2014 deal and then franchising him.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Jumping in on this one, curious to see if Dawg agrees with me or not. Seems likely that Sidney Rice is gone due to his contract. The guy I read who seems pretty plugged in to how this stuff works figures that one of Red Bryant or Mebane is likely let to (assuming Bryant if it is one of those two) and that Clemons is probably done. Those moves hopefully meaning that Avril and Bennett are both back.

Wilson has one more year before he needs to be redone contract wise and sounds like the priority to extend at this point is Thomas and that a Sherman extension will depend on how everything else goes.

A few other smaller pieces (like McQuistan and Giacomini) and they probably add a few guys to the offensive line via draft. So in the long run, they'll need last years draft to contribute more next year and to draft well coming up to replace the depth they're likely to lose. Given how well the D Line worked with the rotation they liked to employ, I'd imagine this is a big priority to replenish.
Yeah, that all sounds right. Rice is done, and if Tate's demands aren't reasonable, he's probably gone too, which means they'll probably need to draft another WR or two and hope Harvin can stay healthy to join Baldwin and Kearse.

Keeping the DL rotation strong has to be a priority, and I would assume they'll look to add another CB as depth to backfill Browner. It will also be interesting to see what they do at TE - do they keep Miller at his current cost or look to go cheaper?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

Everything will be completely manageable until Wilson needs a new deal.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yeah, that all sounds right. Rice is done, and if Tate's demands aren't reasonable, he's probably gone too, which means they'll probably need to draft another WR or two and hope Harvin can stay healthy to join Baldwin and Kearse.

Keeping the DL rotation strong has to be a priority, and I would assume they'll look to add another CB as depth to backfill Browner. It will also be interesting to see what they do at TE - do they keep Miller at his current cost or look to go cheaper?

1: What price point would you bring Rice back at? Following him on twitter, I wonder if he'd be the type willing to come back at a much cheaper price tag (ala Robinson) to be a part of the "family". Given his body type and compete level (plays the position violently both blocking and what he's willing to do for a catch/run after), I can't help but want the guy back at the right price tag.

2: May not have to worry so much about corner if the kid they drafted last year (Simon) can get all the way healthy. Thurmond will be a lot like Tate where demands probably determine if they're back or not but the depth *might* be there.

3: TE is interesting. Willson has a nice high ceiling, but until the offensive line gets shored up, Miller is worth his contract. I'd like to see a full season of him getting to play less of a blocking role, but yeah, forgot about him and that could be an area they look for a big savings at if they like some of the options in the draft.

4: Are we at the point now that Seattle may get a chance at some discount UFAs? I know we saw a potential example last year with Winfield that didn't work out. Avril and Bennett were as much about timing/market as anything else, but maybe we see a few more of those types of pickups the next few years after how this year went?

5: I really want to see at least 3 offensive linemen added. T and G for sure to add to Bowie and Bailey. I can't help but feel like they could upgrade relatively cheaply at LG, RG and RT and solidify the biggest weakness on the team. I hope Carpenter is the backup next year and McQ is long gone. Shouldn't be hard to replace Breno's ability with somebody who'll take 1/3 the penalties too.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I was glad he was gone from USC and as someone who isn't a Seahawks fan I was curios to see how he would do.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #27
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
4: Are we at the point now that Seattle may get a chance at some discount UFAs? I know we saw a potential example last year with Winfield that didn't work out. Avril and Bennett were as much about timing/market as anything else, but maybe we see a few more of those types of pickups the next few years after how this year went?
Yeah, I think that could happen - guys that look at Seattle as a way to A) win and B) play a cheap one-year deal to try to parlay it into a bigger deal.

Quote:
5: I really want to see at least 3 offensive linemen added. T and G for sure to add to Bowie and Bailey. I can't help but feel like they could upgrade relatively cheaply at LG, RG and RT and solidify the biggest weakness on the team. I hope Carpenter is the backup next year and McQ is long gone. Shouldn't be hard to replace Breno's ability with somebody who'll take 1/3 the penalties too.
It's actually kind of amazing to me that the Seahawks were as good as they were this year with this OL. It has to be a priority IMO, both through the draft and through free agency.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #28
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Holy crap...good times!
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #29
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

I hated it, and I was so so wrong. He won me over last year.

So happy today.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

As a Pete Carroll fan, I was rooting for them. Congrats to all of the Seahawks fans.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #31
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Congrats Seahawks and fans. Nice to finally have a pro championship here in the Pacific NW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #32
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Really happy for all my Seattle friends. Having lived there for 5 years most of them are great fans who supported the team through good and bad times. And was really excited to see a Husky score an amazing TD in the Superbowl. I think Kearse is really developing into a weapon. He has had some amazing grabs this year.

Just noticed you aren't in Seattle anymore. When did you move?

Quote:
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #33
miked
College Starter

Wouldn't Sherman hold out this year? He is making next to nothing and just has this next season left. What is there to risk injury for?
Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #34
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

His image? He backpedaled better than Deion from the backlash after his outburst after the NFC Championship game.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #35
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Hated it for Peyton Manning…one of the greats and just making 3 SBs is a helluva accomplishment. That said, Seattle deserves a championship. Great team.

Plus, at least the Colts can say they beat the SB champ.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #36
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Wouldn't Sherman hold out this year? He is making next to nothing and just has this next season left. What is there to risk injury for?

I think this is a great question, and you know he is smart enough to understand the business side of things. Assuming his ankle injury isn't anything serious, he will never have more value than he does right now, and CB isn't a position where a lot of guys can last forever. Look at what happened to Champ Bailey last night. If I were Sherman's agent, I would urge him to do it. And the sooner he gets a longterm deal in place, the better the chance he is still at the top of his game when it comes time to negotiate the next deal.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

He probably faces significant fines for doing so(I believe 30k/day). If they wanna hold the line, they can force him to play for 800ish k next year and then franchise him the following year. My guess is they'd end up losing the locker room with such a tactic.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wilson played about as flawlessly as you could hope for. He's way more than just a game manager. As someone who is a bit of a numbers junkie. I thought it was cool that Seattle's top 2 receivers had both worn #15. I really think they need to retain Tate or Bennett via the franchise tag. Maybe the other WR step up for Tate, but he's really good. Dropping down to just Kearse and Baldwin would be dangerous due to Harvin's issues.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Just noticed you aren't in Seattle anymore. When did you move?

December 2012. Moved back to Cinci for my wifes job. There are a lot of things I miss about the PNW and some I don't.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #40
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Wilson played about as flawlessly as you could hope for. He's way more than just a game manager. As someone who is a bit of a numbers junkie. I thought it was cool that Seattle's top 2 receivers had both worn #15. I really think they need to retain Tate or Bennett via the franchise tag. Maybe the other WR step up for Tate, but he's really good. Dropping down to just Kearse and Baldwin would be dangerous due to Harvin's issues.

I see Wilson as a very good game manager with a chance to develop a little further than that even. He makes great decisions, doesn't turn the ball over, and makes plays with his feet. However, he doesn't have the size in the pocket to be a drop-back passer, nor would I want him to do that in any case. He doesn't come off to me as a guy who will throw for 300-400 yards a game and shred a defense. He needs a decent running game and playmaking receivers.

With that being said, I would take him over my team's QB in a second. And that isn't just because he won the super bowl and still makes league minimum. Wilson is a good player with a chance to be great.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #41
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
December 2012. Moved back to Cinci for my wifes job. There are a lot of things I miss about the PNW and some I don't.

Not a big fan of Ohio, but I grew up in Michigan so...

Quote:
Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #42
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Good article that kind of dispels the myth that Wilson is simply a "game manager":

Game manager: Russell Wilson has been stamped with a label most quarterbacks resent, but what kind of player is he really? - SBNation.com

If nothing else, take a look at the gifs. He has some pretty serious arm talent but he will never be fully unleashed under Carroll since that is not the way Pete wants to win games. Seems like a lot of analysts are missing the boat about the Seattle passing game. They value efficiency above all else and putting up big numbers in the passing game isn't a priority.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #43
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
...he doesn't have the size in the pocket to be a drop-back passer...

Drew Brees?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #44
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Drew Brees?

Drew Brees is at least an inch taller than Wilson, but far less mobile. They are different types of QB's, at least imo.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #45
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'll admit, I've never looked up to compare their height. Everyone in the world comparing the two because they're both short is what made me question.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #46
Travis
Pro Rookie

The problem with Wilson being a pocket passer has been the lack of a consistent pocket. He's just fine in that situation, but the offensive line has been so porous that they haven't been able to rely on that sort of approach. I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised by this offense if they can fix the line this offseason.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just heard for the second time some variation of "I'm glad Seattle won so that nobody got closer to the Steelers 6 titles.". I need to move.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would wager that Wilson has longer arms than Brees. 1" in height really is irrelevant. Wilson has to be accounted for on the scramble because he makes excellent rushing decisions. I feel like the median for his runs has gotta be like 10+ yards(or at least of "first down length). He also avoids several sacks per game with his escapability.

Last edited by stevew : 02-03-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #49
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Doug Baldwin Rips Cris Carter for Comments About Seahawks WRs | Bleacher Report

Quote:
That dude who said that we were appetizers, he told me to Google him, and I did Google him, but I didn't see any Super Bowl appearances, and I also saw two losses in conference championships. I have a Super Bowl ring, and I would gladly show that to him. And if he doesn't have time to come see it, tell him he can Google it.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #50
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tate really stepped up this year, but they need to be smart about their finances. If Tate asks for too much, I think Baldwin and Kearse are good enough to be the main two with Lockette as depth and Harvin the wild card, plus they can always supplement again in the next draft and free agency.