Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2024, 12:33 PM   #151
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Seemed like TB releasing Mayfield was a prelude to bringing him back. The fit makes sense for another year or so.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:20 AM   #152
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Some Chiefs fans who got frostbite at playoff game need amputations
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:00 PM   #153
miami_fan
Coordinator

First,when did we start classifying 70% of something as "some"?

Second, I noticed that they specifically mentioned Chiefs fans, I wonder how the Dolphins fans fared?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 03-06-2024 at 03:21 PM.
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:43 PM   #154
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Was the Russell Wilson trade the worst ever? - NBC Sports
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:44 PM   #155
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Okay let's go! WHich teams still need a starting QB? WHich have a starter and which have muiltiple scrubs and which have nothing? And which QBs are in FA?
Old 03-06-2024, 02:53 PM   #156
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. I love sports, but I ain't looking to part with any appendages for my team.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:34 PM   #157
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Is it the worst trade or the worst extension?

I mean just looking at the players now that all of the draft picks have been made, the trade itself still does not look like a bad trade. Russ for a Pro Bowl CB, an edge Rusher and an starting left tackle is not outrageous. It is not good but not outrageous It doesn't cause me the heaves like remembering Indianapolis traded a 1st rounder for Trent Richardson. Now the Russ extension, that was absolutely ridiculous.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-07-2024, 07:59 AM   #158
Ksyrup

Did you forget the other players, or are you looking at just the draft picks? I'd take Noah Fant and Shelby Harris back in a second.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM   #159
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Judging trades by the player picked is also a little dicey.

If I trade a backup guard for a 6th round pick that turns into Tom Brady, is that the worst trade ever?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:52 AM   #160
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Herschal Walker to Minnesota waves.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:03 AM   #161
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

The Deshaun Watson trade is right there as well
Old 03-07-2024, 09:34 AM   #162
Thomkal
Head Coach

Buffalo cut some good players yesterday to make cap room-curious to see where they end up
Old 03-07-2024, 09:54 AM   #163
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Let's not forget the Saints trade to draft Ricky Williams.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:27 PM   #164
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints going to release Mike Thomas.

He's spent the morning tweeting shit at the biggest douchebag of the local NOLA reporters.

I respect that. When you leave, none of this lame thanking the fans. Settle scores. Burn bridges. Go out a legend.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:30 PM   #165
RainMaker
General Manager

Didn't Thomas' issues start when he got hurt in a blowout and his ankle just never was the same? I remember that game because I thought it was crazy the Saints were keeping their starters in and then he got rolled up on bad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:48 PM   #166
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

100%. It was a total freak injury on a meaningless play.

Then there were issues with the rehab. Differing views on whether the team fucked it up or whether he refused the proper treatment. The Saints training staff sucks and MT is crazy, so I could see either of those being likely.

And he's never been the same since. Just can't stay on the field.

Some team will give him an incentive-laden prove-it deal. And if he stays healthy, it will be a steal. And if he does not, then that's probably it for him.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #167
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Dolphins are signing Jonnu Smith to a two year, ten million dollar deal. Word is Arthur Smith cannot stop crying.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:28 PM   #168
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Did you forget the other players, or are you looking at just the draft picks? I'd take Noah Fant and Shelby Harris back in a second.

I did.

Fant's targets and catches have dropped from 90/68 in his last season with the Broncos to to 63/50 and 43/32 with the Seahawks. Not saying that he is on a decline but that stat line does not scream out someone that was not worth giving up in a trade for a franchise QB. The Broncos could have resigned Harris last offseason and they could resign him this offseason as well.

I defer to you as you watch them every week and follow them more closely than I do. I just don't get the impression that Bronco fans or anyone else is saying that including Fant and Harris not to mention Drew Lock in the trade make that a bad trade. The deal including the picks was a risky move that did not pan out if you just have Russ in the second year of the extension he signed with Seattle in 2019. He would have also been a UFA right now. We would have seen it as the team taking a shot to get a franchise QB and they missed.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:18 PM   #169
Ksyrup

I'm thinking of it more from the standpoint of what we lost and didn't replace. Denver's run D was terrible. Another safety blanket dump-off receiving target for Wilson wouldn't have hurt.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:35 PM   #170
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If I trade a backup guard for a 6th round pick that turns into Tom Brady, is that the worst trade ever?

I would say it's the most unfortunate trade ever.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:53 AM   #171
bhlloy
Coordinator

Thing is regarding the Wilson trade, the need and expectation of a max contract was built into the price of the return. I don’t think you can just separate them like that.

If you were getting an all-pro 9x pro bowl Super Bowl winning QB on a long term reasonable second contract he was willing to play on, the price would have been higher and way more teams would have been in on it. Same as Watson.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:29 PM   #172
miami_fan
Coordinator

How the hell did the Rams convince Matthew Stafford to wait until after he played for a year and won a Super Bowl with the Rams before he signed his new deal?
Old 03-08-2024, 01:43 PM   #173
cuervo72
Head Coach

Of course with Wilson, you're also getting a QB who is well into his 30s. I know I know, Brady. But I saw a graphic on SB appearances by exp of QB, and the vast majority of them were guys with I think 8 years or fewer in the league. Brady and Manning were the big outliers. (Elway too if you go back far enough.)

I can't find it now, but age is a good enough proxy, I guess: Super Bowl Starting QBs | Pro Football Hall of Fame

Last edited by cuervo72 : 03-08-2024 at 01:45 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:26 PM   #174
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How the hell did the Rams convince Matthew Stafford to wait until after he played for a year and won a Super Bowl with the Rams before he signed his new deal?

He valued getting out of Detroit and in LA more than the Rams valued getting him? The Rams had a QB (leverage) and could go on as is.

If Denver wanted, what looked to be a top QB, they had no other options, so no leverage?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:45 PM   #175
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Of course with Wilson, you're also getting a QB who is well into his 30s. I know I know, Brady. But I saw a graphic on SB appearances by exp of QB, and the vast majority of them were guys with I think 8 years or fewer in the league. Brady and Manning were the big outliers. (Elway too if you go back far enough.)

I can't find it now, but age is a good enough proxy, I guess: Super Bowl Starting QBs | Pro Football Hall of Fame
I don't buy into to that. For one, it is like the very definition of small sample size. Because Brady has been in so many Super Bowls if you take his appearances out then you make that sample size even smaller. You basically had someone blocking out other quarterbacks from half the equation a couple a decades. Then you have Stafford just doing it two years ago. Then Peyton, Kurt Warner (at 37!). I'm not sure if Eli, Brees or Ryan were still within their first 8 years, but they were 31. The 30's barrier isn't really much of a barrier for Super Bowls. Even as look further back there are 31+ year olds making it pretty consistently.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:55 PM   #176
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

If memory serves, I don't think it was Wilson that was pushing for a new contract. He still had two years left.

I believe what happened was that the Walton's bought the team and decided to come into the NFL like a bunch of big swinging dicks by putting their (mushroom) stamp on the franchise ("oh, look at us, we're rich and powerful and making an impact").

I'll try and find a source for this. As much as George Paton should get roasted for the trade (and Nathaniel Hackett), I believe he was at the mercy of the new ownership group when it came to the contract.

I also don't think more teams would have been in on him. There were people saying he was in decline even before he was traded by the Seahawks.

Edit for links:

Report: GM George Paton Safe, Wanted to Wait on Wilson Extension

Inside the Russell Wilson-Seattle Seahawks drama that led to the Denver Broncos trade

Russell Wilson’s prime is over

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 03-08-2024 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Receipts
Carman Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:27 PM   #177
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Wow Raiders, Giants, Steelers into the Russell Wison lottery

huh
Old 03-08-2024, 11:33 PM   #178
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

WOW! Even if Walker delivered Minn gave up WAY WAY WAY too many picks!
Old 03-09-2024, 11:36 AM   #179
Ksyrup

Jerry Jeudy to the Browns for a 5th and 6th. Seems light but he's never been great.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:15 PM   #180
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

The Ricky Williams trade was god awful as well. The Redskins essentially pulled Champ Bailey and LaVar Arrington from that trade.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:36 PM   #181
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Bengals could have had all of those picks but they went with Akili Smith instead.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:48 PM   #182
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Bengals could have had all of those picks but they went with Akili Smith instead.

fucking akili smith...
Old 03-09-2024, 01:36 PM   #183
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Jerry Jeudy to the Browns for a 5th and 6th. Seems light but he's never been great.

Never lived up to the hype. Has shown flashes but that's it. Combined with the 13 million he is making this season, I'm almost surprised they got anything for him.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:59 PM   #184
Ksyrup

I suppose they are going to stick with Sutton and then Tim Patrick was just re-signed to see if he can come back from back-to-back season-ending injuries.

My daughter was ecstatic about Patrick re-signing because she bought his jersey almost 3 years ago and he hasn't played a down since then.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-09-2024 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:04 PM   #185
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

The past four seasons, it felt like Sutton, Patrick, Jeudy and Hamler (then Mims) would constantly get talked up in OTA's and training camp with people asking "Is this the year the young Broncos wide receivers are going to breakout?" It feels like we've finally moved on from that.
Carman Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 04:41 AM   #186
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Kinda thought they were lucky to get anything for him given his relatively large guaranteed salary and meh performance. He is approx the 30th WR in salary for 2024
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:23 AM   #187
Thomkal
Head Coach

looks like the QB dominoes are beginning to fall-Mac Jones to the jags for a late round pick. Seems a bit of a strange place for him to land
Old 03-10-2024, 10:29 AM   #188
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
looks like the QB dominoes are beginning to fall-Mac Jones to the jags for a late round pick. Seems a bit of a strange place for him to land

+1

this is a weird one to me
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 04:11 PM   #189
bhlloy
Coordinator

The QB position in today’s NFL is just so wild. You’ve got a player who was right in the middle of the pack statistically as a rookie, second in ROY voting, takes an average team to the playoffs and is widely considered the best QB in the draft. Then yes, two bad ones but under very challenging circumstances with instability in the coaching staff and probably one of the worst receiving corps in the league.

And yet they’d rather jettison him before they’ve even picked somebody in the upcoming draft for basically nothing. Not even worth bringing into camp and seeing if he settles into a backup role with the new staff. And what is even more wild is no other team with a need for a young QB thinks he’s worth a sixth round pick to bring into camp and see if he works in their system. He’s forced to go a team where he’s the unquestioned mop up guy if their highly touted young QB gets hurt, and I imagine there’s a chance he’s not even on the roster at the start of the season.

Maybe it’s just that player evaluation is so strong now that it’s obvious when a player doesn’t have it and maybe if you don’t have a top 10 QB you have no chance but plenty of decent serviceable QBs have struggled their first few years in the league. If you don’t hit a HR with your QB pick, rather turn down the single and try again for another HR a few years later.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 04:27 PM   #190
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone paid 100K for a 1/1 Prizm Mac Jones football card a few years back. Not looking good.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:33 PM   #191
Thomkal
Head Coach

Baker Mayfield gets his deal with the Bucs:

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/stat...34530709950499
Old 03-10-2024, 05:02 PM   #192
GrantDawg

Pretty good deal for the Buccs. $50 million guaranteed for the next two years. They can walk away from it at the end of next year for a $20 million cap hit. It is basically a $30 million a year deal for the next two years. He can make more with incentives. I think he would have gotten a bigger contract elsewhere if he had hit the market tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #193
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think it’s a good fit. Hopefully it at least keeps asses in the seats.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:46 PM   #194
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Steelers country, let’s ride!
Old 03-11-2024, 12:17 AM   #195
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Steelers country, let’s ride!

Mr. Un-Liiiimited
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 12:29 AM   #196
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Front office is already chilling the champagne for the 8 and a half win party next year.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:06 AM   #197
GrantDawg

Today is going to be interesting. I think we will see a few big moves and get a read on where a few others are leaning.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:02 AM   #198
korme
Go Reds

Tee Higgins has requested a trade.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:34 PM   #199
Ksyrup

And there goes Cousins.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:48 PM   #200
miami_fan
Coordinator

Saquon to the Eagles.