Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #151
Izulde
Head Coach

I actually quite like the Lovie hire for the Bucs.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #152
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I actually quite like the Lovie hire for the Bucs.

Same here.

Browns reportedly interested in Gus Malzahn; will name Jim Schwartz defensive*coordinator | SI Wire

Apparently the Browns plan on hiring Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator before they've even picked a head coach? I smell a recipe for success, Cleveland!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #153
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
A little bit interested to see how this works. You hire a HC first then a GM...that's somewhat unusual, but I think Lovie is in good standing and has good relationships with a number of solid GM candidates.

True, plus there are several pluses to hiring Lovie first - he has a say in who you want to be your new GM, and you get your Top choice off the market now before he ends up somewhere else.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #154
molson
General Manager

Lovie Smith's reputation sure seems to have improved by being out of the game for a year. Or maybe it's just Bears fans who think every coach they've had since Ditka is terrible.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #155
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Lovie Smith's reputation sure seems to have improved by being out of the game for a year. Or maybe it's just Bears fans who think every coach they've had since Ditka is terrible.

Lovie's not terrible. You're pretty much guaranteed to have a really good defense with Lovie. His main problems are he knows absolutely nothing about the offensive side of the ball and he has a tendency to hire from his pool of friends. His friends don't really know anything about the offensive side of the ball either. He's also a guy you don't want too involved in personnel.

He was more or less a 7-9 win coach with the bears who benefited greatly from the NFC north being god awful in '05 and '06 (no other NFC north team outscored their opponents those two years).

IMO he's a good coach to hire for a rebuilding effort but he's unlikely to be the coach that gets a team over the hump.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #156
Dutch
"Dutch"

Buccaneers to hire Jeff Tedford as offensive coordinator under Lovie Smith, per report - SBNation.com

Good reputation, good QB coach.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #157
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I won't snicker as much about Lovie as I did about either the Jauron or Wannestadt hires following their stints with the Bears.
Smith ranks down there with both of them, so what's the difference? How can a coach get any respect when you hire four OCs during your tenure? TB's defense isn't their problem; they were 31st in offense. And so he doesn't get upstaged, Lovie hired Jeff Tedford as his OC. Rumors also floating around that Jerry Angelo might be the new GM. It's the Bears Southeast! Good luck to the fans in Tampa.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #158
hoopsguy
General Manager

If you have two tiers - Super Bowl winners and non - then I suppose Lovie ranks down there with them. But if you accept that there are degrees of good/bad, then I would argue that there is some separation between Lovie and the other two coaches I referenced. I think Atocep did a pretty good job of highlighting Smith's limitations, but he has strengths that were lacking in Jauron/Wannie.

Angelo getting that GM job probably isn't moving Tampa closer to a Super Bowl, however.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #159
cuervo72
Head Coach

Was trying to think of someone in terms of success that equaled Lovie...thought of Chuck Knox. I'm...pretty ok with my assessment on that one, especially if you look at the SEA years.

ETA: or if you look at the 46-54 age range for both, really. Now, if Lovie performs about the same as Knox from 56 on? I think you get a coach who won't be embarrassing, but isn't going to wow anybody either.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-01-2014 at 11:08 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #160
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Was trying to think of someone in terms of success that equaled Lovie...thought of Chuck Knox. I'm...pretty ok with my assessment on that one, especially if you look at the SEA years.

ETA: or if you look at the 46-54 age range for both, really. Now, if Lovie performs about the same as Knox from 56 on? I think you get a coach who won't be embarrassing, but isn't going to wow anybody either.

It all depends on the offense. Can he find and develop a QB? I have a sneaky suspicion that the defense is going to be pretty good.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #161
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think Lovie was the ideal fit for Detroit, think he would have corralled Suh, or at least commanded his attention.

As good of a fit as I think that is, I think its an equally terrible fit for him at TB. When you have a decidedly one sided coach, I am ok with little talent deficit on "his side" of the field, but I want enough talent to make mistakes on his weak side. I think Detroit offered that, Stafford and MegaTron are enough talent to keep the Offense decent even without coaching, they've proven that for a few years now.

In TB Lovie is looking over the island of misfit toys on O..and well..not much better on D. All in a conference where NO and Car seem to be on the rise for the foreseeable future compared to the NFC North which I see as much more winable.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #162
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

"Mike Glennon is our quarterback."

"We're gonna get off the bus runnin'."

"We're happy with our team."

"Our team did some good things out there."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #163
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I think Lovie was the ideal fit for Detroit, think he would have corralled Suh, or at least commanded his attention.

As good of a fit as I think that is, I think its an equally terrible fit for him at TB. When you have a decidedly one sided coach, I am ok with little talent deficit on "his side" of the field, but I want enough talent to make mistakes on his weak side. I think Detroit offered that, Stafford and MegaTron are enough talent to keep the Offense decent even without coaching, they've proven that for a few years now.

In TB Lovie is looking over the island of misfit toys on O..and well..not much better on D. All in a conference where NO and Car seem to be on the rise for the foreseeable future compared to the NFC North which I see as much more winable.

I think Tampa has some nice pieces on offense (Martin, Jackson) but it will come down to whether or not Glennon is a real NFL QB. I like that Tedford will be the offensive coordinator.

But then I think Carolina is on the rise, but New Orleans will begin an inevitable decline as Brees' gets older.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #164
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Kyle. Boller.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #165
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Along with Akili Smith and David Carr.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #166
Butter
Coordinator

God damn Akili Smith sucked. But I'm not sure if he was better or worse than David Klingler.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #167
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why not a look at Herm Edwards? I mean, he's coaching in the UA game and just iced a 17 year old kicker so he obviously still has it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #168
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Why not a look at Herm Edwards? I mean, he's coaching in the UA game and just iced a 17 year old kicker so he obviously still has it

He plays to win the game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #169
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Kyle. Boller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Aaron Rodgers too
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #170
sabotai
General Manager

And it looks like I'm getting my wish. Kevin Gilbride is going to retire.

Kevin Gilbride retires as New York Giants coordinator - NFL.com
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #171
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
And it looks like I'm getting my wish. Kevin Gilbride is going to retire.

Kevin Gilbride retires as New York Giants coordinator - NFL.com

Report: Coughlin reaches out to Mike Martz

J/K sabotai

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #172
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think Gilbride retired to keep Coughlin from having to draw a line in the sand about keeping him on staff vs an owner who doesn't.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #173
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

If I were a new HC, I might consider waiting a week or two, and see if I can "entice" Gilbride out of retirement. he's not bad, but he clearly needed a change of scenery, and he's been a real asset to Coughlin over teh years with the G-men and Jags before that.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #174
miked
College Starter

Quote:

There are a few soon-to-be-unemployed Rutgers players there. It's like the Island of Misfit Rutgers Toys.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #175
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Report: Coughlin reaches out to Mike Martz

J/K sabotai

You're lucky I don't know where you live.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #176
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Kyle. Boller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Jeff Tedford's did have some shitty quarterbacks apparently, but not while he was coaching them up...apparently he made them all over-achievers. I'm down with that.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #177
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Sounds like Greg Schiano would be great fit for Detroit based on that.

Quote:

For today and today only, I agree with this. But for 5 years? That matters very little...unless you walk into Indianapolis when Peyton Manning is in year 7...Stafford is no Manning.

Quote:
In TB Lovie is looking over the island of misfit toys on O..and well..not much better on D.

And why are the Bucs in that scenario? We are asking Lovie Smith to rebuild this team in many ways, and the only thing the Bucs ownership really knows about rebuilding is what Tony Dungy did. Lovie Smith being a Tony Dungy guy is not something terrible. I'm going all in with the retread NFL coach at this point because Tony Dungy was a retread and found success....Jon Gruden was a retread and found success...if we think Lovie Smith isn't going to use his past experience to enhance his strengths and strengthen his weaknesses, you're missing the potential completely.

Quote:
All in a conference where NO and Car seem to be on the rise for the foreseeable future compared to the NFC North which I see as much more winable.

To be fair, Green Bay and Chicago are no joke either.

I will be positively biased with any new coach (or at least I have been so far with Sam Wyche, Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Raheem Morris, and Greg Schiano...so I'm biased, but seriously, Lovie Smith is more than just a name or a defensive minded coach. He's part of the Tony Dungy tree, he's got a history here, he's got good people all over this league, he's tough, he's a player's coach and this town is energized right now and they need something after 5 seasons of abysmal football. Lovie Smith is the absolute right guy at the right time for Tampa Bay Football.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-02-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #178
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For today and today only, I agree with this. But for 5 years? That matters very little...unless you walk into Indianapolis when Peyton Manning is in year 7...Stafford is no Manning.

And why are the Bucs in that scenario? We are asking Lovie Smith to rebuild this team in many ways, and the only thing the Bucs ownership really knows about rebuilding is what Tony Dungy did. Lovie Smith being a Tony Dungy guy is not something terrible. I'm going all in with the retread NFL coach at this point because Tony Dungy was a retread and found success....Jon Gruden was a retread and found success...if we think Lovie Smith isn't going to use his past experience to enhance his strengths and strengthen his weaknesses, you're missing the potential completely.

I will be positively biased with any new coach (or at least I have been so far with Sam Wyche, Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Raheem Morris, and Greg Schiano...so I'm biased, but seriously, Lovie Smith is more than just a name or a defensive minded coach. He's part of the Tony Dungy tree, he's got a history here, he's got good people all over this league, he's tough, he's a player's coach and this town is energized right now and they need something after 5 seasons of abysmal football. Lovie Smith is the absolute right guy at the right time for Tampa Bay Football.

Agreed completely. Tough division though if the Falcons are back in it next year, but I agree.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #179
Dutch
"Dutch"

Agreed, this division is no joke if the Falcons are the worst competition we'll have. They are built to go from worst to first as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #180
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Same here.

Browns reportedly interested in Gus Malzahn; will name Jim Schwartz defensive*coordinator | SI Wire

Apparently the Browns plan on hiring Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator before they've even picked a head coach? I smell a recipe for success, Cleveland!

This worked very well for the Redskins and Jim Zorn
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #181
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I do think somebody is going to legitimately go after Malzahn at some point, and he'll end up in the pros.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #182
Patriots12
n00b

I saw that Tennessee fired Munchak, cant say I'm surprised because Tennessee has been mediocre for the three years he has been there.
Patriots12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #183
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I like Lovie and have always been an fairly apathetic, semi closet Bucs fan. Especially during the Gruden and Dungy era. This combo is really good for me. That said I think personnel evaluations is a weak spot in Smtih's game and I think the Bucs need to re-load. For that reason and the aforementioned offensive fit I think they would have been better served by a different hire.

Hope I'm wrong BTW.

Also...5 years is a good run for an NFL HC...if you can promise me 5 good years I'll take it right now.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #184
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Oh oh. Lovie with final say on the roster?

Lovie Smith has final say on Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster - ESPN

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #185
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Oh oh. Lovie with final say on the roster?

Lovie Smith has final say on Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster - ESPN

I didn't expect any less.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #186
Logan
Head Coach

Recipe for disaster.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #187
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Recipe for disaster.

Depends on how good the people around him are at evaluating talent.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #188
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm okay with it under the mantra of "It can't get any worse".
Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #189
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Ken Whisenhunt, San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator, is top candidate for Detroit Lions' head coaching position - ESPN
Old 01-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #190
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Poor Detroit.

Only time Whisenhunt was successful in Arizona was when he had a veteran, all-pro QB. I'm not sure he can "fix" Stafford?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #191
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what Jim Tressel has been up to lately?

I'm a bit surprised his name hasn't been circulating around more, especially for the Cleveland job.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-05-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: stupid typo
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #192
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I'm a bit surprised his name has been circulating around more, especially for the Cleveland job.

He's been teaching and is Vice President of Student Success at THE University of Akron.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #193
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I'm a bit surprised his name hasn't been circulating around more, especially for the Cleveland job.

Well there was this...

Report that Cleveland Browns will interview Jim Tressel is false, source tells cleveland.com | cleveland.com
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #194
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Poor Detroit.

Only time Whisenhunt was successful in Arizona was when he had a veteran, all-pro QB. I'm not sure he can "fix" Stafford?

He seems to be doing well with Rivers, who earned his own rep as a talented but flawed QB. Detroit isn't that flawed on offense, or even defense really. The biggest issue is discipline.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #195
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Poor Detroit.

Considering the names floating around are Tom Cable and Jim Caldwell, Wisenhunt doesn't sound too bad.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #196
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd cry if any of those names were associated with my team.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #197
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

All-Pro QB or not, he took Arizona to the Super Bowl.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #198
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
He seems to be doing well with Rivers, who earned his own rep as a talented but flawed QB. Detroit isn't that flawed on offense, or even defense really. The biggest issue is discipline.

But did he really fix Rivers or was the issue due more to how Norv Turner was running the offense the last couple of years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Considering the names floating around are Tom Cable and Jim Caldwell, Wisenhunt doesn't sound too bad.

Yeah. I can see where Whisenhunt would be considered a step up from those two. I just thought the Detroit GM was telling everyone how attractive the job was a few days ago, yet every name mentioned in connection with it is really underwhelming.

I think there's a lot of talent in Detroit but I also think they've been allowed to be undisciplined for so long that any coach that goes there is in for a fight when trying to regain control of the situation.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #199
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
All-Pro QB or not, he took Arizona to the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl or not, he had a 45-51 record in Arizona. Once Warner retired, they went from 10-6 to 5-11.

Last edited by BillJasper : 01-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #200
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Super Bowl or not, he had a 45-51 record in Arizona. Once Warner retired, they went from 10-6 to 5-11.

I don't know many coaches who would win with what was given to him at QB post Warner. The fact that the offense improved from Turner to him pretty much supports the idea that he can coach.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-06-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote