Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #5501
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, what is everyone's anxiety level for this election?

I would put myself at a 7 today. I think I am being too dramatic, but sometimes you can't control anxiety.

Around a 5 or 6.

I can live with a Trump win assuming Senate flips to Democrat which will greatly control Trump. The odds right now are both will go Democrat, 538 has Senate flipping at around 75%.

If the Senate picture was more of a toss up, my anxiety will go up another +2.

Right now I'm reassured with the odds. I know there will be more drama from Trump if he loses but believe it'll work itself out eventually before inauguration day. And then we can move on with moderate Joe.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-02-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #5502
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

I would put myself at a 7 today. I think I am being too dramatic, but sometimes you can't control anxiety.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #5503
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Around a 5 or 6.

I can live with a Trump win assuming Senate flips to Democrat which will greatly control Trump. The odds right now are both will go Democrat, 538 has Senate flipping at around 75%.

Will they though? He has shown a propensity for passing legislature through EO.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #5504
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Old 11-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #5505
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Compared to a normal election? Like a 15. Overall actual anxiety level? About a 5-6. Almost all of my anxiety stems from people in the general public doing stupid things because of results, rather than the election itself. I have concerns about the election, but not anxiety.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #5506
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Trumpers shutting down roads and bridges around NYC.

Can someone explain to me who this was supposed to be directed to? Was this supposed to energize his supporters? Was it to demoralize his detractors?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 11-02-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #5507
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

1. Thankfully, my mindset has been pretty much 100% Romans 8:28 this time around. What happens, happens.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #5508
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Can someone explain to me who was this was supposed to be directed to? Was this supposed to energize his supporters? Was it to demoralize his detractors?
I saw a nonsensical interview with one of them. They mentioned "making a statement" by blocking up traffic or something like that. But really, the bottom line is this: anyone who thinks that anything they do is going to win NJ or NY for DJT isn't making rational decisions anyway, so trying to parse out the "logic" involved is an exercise in futility.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #5509
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Around a 5 or 6.

If the Senate picture was more of a toss up, my anxiety will go up another +2.

Right now I'm reassured with the odds. I know there will be more drama from Trump if he loses but believe it'll work itself out eventually before inauguration day. And then we can move on with moderate Joe.

I think those two are intertwined, though. The Senate is 75% flipping /because/ Biden is at 90%.

If Trump wins the Presidency, it's because he won in Iowa (Ernst), North Carolina (Tillis), Arizona (McSally), and Georgia (both seats) and his coattails will deliver contested seats in places like Maine, Montana, South Carolina, Kansas, Arkansas, and maybe even Colorado and Michigan. If Trump wins, the Senate won't be a check on him, it will be even more red and even more of an enabler.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-02-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #5510
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Can someone explain to me who this was supposed to be directed to? Was this supposed to energize his supporters? Was it to demoralize his detractors?

It's the "show your Trump support" for those who don't own boats I guess. It also feels like a childish reaction to the Floyd protests where they gummed up traffic and caused inconvenience to the "all lives matter" crowd.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-02-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #5511
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I agree, I don't think it was directed at anyone per se, more just wanting to make a statement in a way that would be noticed.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #5512
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

They're the SILENT MAJORITY! (albeit not very good at being either)

SI

Old 11-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #5513
Kodos
Resident Alien

All I know is a lot of Halloween chocolate is disappearing today.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #5514
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

9, but I have issues with Anxiety already :P For me it spirals out of control. The unknown of what happens tomorrow, what happens over the next week or month, thinking about how difficult it's been for me to manage my mental health over the last four years and empathy/concern for other humans in America as it relates to Trump and his ghouls being a huge part of that spiraling into "how would I handle the next 4 years".

Ugh. Lets just get a blowout tomorrow. Then I can return to my average day to day anxiety of 5 or 6 that comes from just existing
Old 11-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #5515
timmynausea
College Starter

Been lurking here since back when it looked like Bernie might be the Dem nominee. The recent discussion of anxiety levels brings me out of the woodwork. Anxiety is my specialty.

Looking at the offshore betting markets makes me nervous. I've been tracking the state by state odds on Pinnacle, widely considered the sharpest book. The good news for Biden is that he has 259 electoral votes that look very secure, ie greater than 75% implied odds per the money line in states like Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, and New Hampshire, all of which have moved strongly in his favor in recent weeks.

That means he only needs to win one of these states (and I'm not attempting to factor in the juice with these implied percentages):

Pennsylvania -189 (65.4%)
Arizona -131 (56.7%)
North Carolina -115 (53.5%)
Florida +122 (45.0%)
Georgia +134 (42.7%)
Ohio +205 (38.2%)

Biden to win Presidency -190 (65.5%)

Since I started tracking on 10/20, Pennsylvania has gone from -285 (74%) to as high as -325 (76.5%) before crashing the other way to its current -189 (65.4%). Iowa also crashed hard toward Trump this weekend, going from +120 (45.5%) to +242 (29.2%) in a matter of a couple days.

Are the betting markets more accurate than projections like 538? I don't know. In 2016, Hillary was a -300 favorite (75%).

I'd put my anxiety at a 9. I know that Biden only needs to pick off one of the above states. But if he loses Pennsylvania, and -189 favorites lose daily in baseball, it all rests on hitting one out of five coin flips, more or less, though Ohio starts to veer outside of coin flip range. Nerve-wracking for me, even if it should happen.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #5516
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

At this point? A 2. I can't do anything about it right now. I'll reassess on Tuesday night/Wed morning. I have faith that the poll numbers will be more accurate - in a lot of battleground states, Biden is polling above MOE. And yeah, Trump is going to try shenanigans. But how those shenanigans will upset things will depend on how close PA or AZ actually end up being.

So I choose to not worry until tomorrow evening.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #5517
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

7 or 8 today, more tomorrow. It looks really good for Biden today, but 2016 looms. More tomorrow when we see what Trump is going to do if he loses.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #5518
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm a 2 when I'm playing disc golf and out doing my thing, and about a 5 to 6 when I think about it. I'm sure that tomorrow it'll be higher. I'd rather not live through my feelings on election night 2016 again.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Old 11-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #5519
JPhillips
General Manager

A good example of what pollsters are doing to try to avoid a repeat of 2016.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #5520
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'd say a 3.5 right now. And the only reason it's not a 1 is because of how awful it would be if the very small chance came through. If Romney or McCain were the other options, I'd be at a 1 right now with the numbers where they are. Trump makes it a 3.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 11-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #5521
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A good example of what pollsters are doing to try to avoid a repeat of 2016.
This comparison of Monmouth's final PA polls shows how samples have been adjusted to avoid a 2016 surprise. 2016 weighting on left, 2020 on right.

Dems are down from +11 to +2. And education weighting is added to ensure 64% are non-college.

Biden leads anyway, by 5 to 7 points. pic.twitter.com/AHzZhg0tlP
— Will Saletan (@saletan) November 2, 2020

This is the other side of the house that I just don't know about. There are some big blue warning lights that there could totally be a blue wave. The polling weights have all changed to fight the last war, the district polls are sounding good, the early voting numbers are favorable to Dems in a lot of places, and there are so many incumbent headwinds from COVID to the economy

If 2016 hadn't been the most recent election and we didn't know Trump and the GOP were going to amp their election theft game up to 11 (legal challenges galore, openly welcoming voter intimidation and a police force that spent much of the summer looking the other way, removal of the consent decree, a biased Supreme Court), we'd already have this as fait accompli.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-02-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #5522
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post

Since I started tracking on 10/20, Pennsylvania has gone from -285 (74%) to as high as -325 (76.5%) before crashing the other way to its current -189 (65.4%). Iowa also crashed hard toward Trump this weekend, going from +120 (45.5%) to +242 (29.2%) in a matter of a couple days.

Are the betting markets more accurate than projections like 538? I don't know. In 2016, Hillary was a -300 favorite (75%).

It's definitely interesting seeing the difference in betting markets like this and PredictIt compared to 538 or any other site that estimates these kinds of things. Of course a betting market just needs to set the odds to get even money on both sides, is there big money coming in on Trump from MAGA idiots - or is that really a more accurate picture.

Also, -190? Woo, makes me happy already to have gotten my $$ in at -160.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #5523
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Been lurking here since back when it looked like Bernie might be the Dem nominee. The recent discussion of anxiety levels brings me out of the woodwork. Anxiety is my specialty.

Looking at the offshore betting markets makes me nervous. I've been tracking the state by state odds on Pinnacle, widely considered the sharpest book. The good news for Biden is that he has 259 electoral votes that look very secure, ie greater than 75% implied odds per the money line in states like Michigan, Wisconsin, Nevada, and New Hampshire, all of which have moved strongly in his favor in recent weeks.

That means he only needs to win one of these states (and I'm not attempting to factor in the juice with these implied percentages):

Pennsylvania -189 (65.4%)
Arizona -131 (56.7%)
North Carolina -115 (53.5%)
Florida +122 (45.0%)
Georgia +134 (42.7%)
Ohio +205 (38.2%)

I'd put my anxiety at a 9. I know that Biden only needs to pick off one of the above states. But if he loses Pennsylvania, and -189 favorites lose daily in baseball, it all rests on hitting one out of five coin flips, more or less, though Ohio starts to veer outside of coin flip range. Nerve-wracking for me, even if it should happen.

I would be very cautious using betting markets to estimate someones chances of winning a particular state/ office. The books goal is to have as much money on both sides and mitigate their exposure. While some books take a position on an event, it is much more common for them to adjust the lines to factor in their risk. So if Biden is at -200 to win the election and Trump +180, and the line moves from Biden -185 Trump +155 it doesn't change the likelihood of the outcome, it just means money came in on one side or the other and the book is balancing its risk by changing the odds to get more money on both sides.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #5524
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
It's definitely interesting seeing the difference in betting markets like this and PredictIt compared to 538 or any other site that estimates these kinds of things. Of course a betting market just needs to set the odds to get even money on both sides, is there big money coming in on Trump from MAGA idiots - or is that really a more accurate picture.

I listen to a lot of betting shows/podcasts. I don't think it is MAGA idiots per se, it is people betting Trump at plus odds because they think there is value there.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #5525
Atocep
Coordinator

Trafalgar's chief pollster went on Hannity and said he has Trump up 1 in Pennsylvania but the Dems will try to steal it and that's the only way they're winning the state.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #5526
Atocep
Coordinator

Some of the election news today:

Its a couple days old, but cook report lays out how difficult it's going to be for Trump to win this election.

Biden’s Path to 270 Widens, Trump’s Path Narrows, as Texas Moves to Toss Up | The Cook Political Report

Nate Silver said that their projection is bouncing between 89.9 and 90.1 right now for those watching. He said it could hit 92 or go as low as 88 but where it is now is likely where it's going to remain with the deadline for polls being midnight tonight.

Nate Cohn showed a poll that has Pennsylvania supporting fracking 52/27 vs 44/42 nationally. That could be why the race there is tight ing a little while other states have been stable or slightly trending toward Biden. He also said people are sleeping on Biden's chances in Florida.

Also Michigan cities with a population over 25k will be given 10 hours today to start processing (but not counting) absentee ballots.

And apparently going back to '04 only one presidential candidate lost a state in which he or she polled above 49% going into election day (Romeny Florida 2012).
Old 11-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #5527
JPhillips
General Manager

Biden campaign released some internal numbers.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #5528
spleen1015
Coordinator

I guess no matter which side wins, they stole it.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #5529
bhlloy
Coordinator

That seems like a good way to motivate R/demotivate remaining D from showing up to vote over the next 48 hours. Interesting choice.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #5530
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Anyone else with anxiety feel that if they sneeze wrong they will mess things up?
Old 11-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #5531
larrymcg421
Head Coach

One trend Ive seen from my many Dem friends is they are anxious because they don't want to be shocked again. They want to be prepared if it happens again. I really don't get this mindset. If Trump wins, I'm going to feel not one bit better because I "prepared" for it. The country is doomed. We have another 4 years of insane crap to deal with. That's true whether I saw it coming or not. However, if Biden wins as expected, then all I did is worry myself and cause unnecessary stress over an election that was in the bag.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
Old 11-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #5532
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Doesn't say where the early votes are coming from either. So if that remaining 45% that hasn't voted in Iowa, say, is 70% R historically, then you're fucked.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #5533
henry296
College Starter

I'm a little worried about PA because I think the Trump ads are hitting on all of the key points to sway voters. Jobs are at risk and taxes will go up even to the point of taken Biden's words out of context and quoting "experts". Biden seems to be vote for me because I'm not Trump.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #5534
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

another thing that could be happening, and I would have to go back and look at Bidens odds, is we could be seeing a buyback on Trump at plus money. If people were able to get Biden at plus money say, six months ago, they can now buy back Trump at plus money and guarantee a profit.

So I just checked, on 3/30 Biden was +125 to win. So if you bet him then and Trump now you are guaranteed a profit. If you got him say, after the early primaries you may have gotten him at monster odds.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-02-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #5535
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I guess no matter which side wins, they stole it.
Yup. This is why I think at least some level of civil unrest is unavoidable no matter who wins.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #5536
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I'm a little worried about PA because I think the Trump ads are hitting on all of the key points to sway voters. Jobs are at risk and taxes will go up even to the point of taken Biden's words out of context and quoting "experts". Biden seems to be vote for me because I'm not Trump.

Yeah “50K” plus people at a rally in the shitty Butler airport other night. Dropped some people off there and it was mayhem
Old 11-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #5537
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who knows if these numbers are accurate, but here are some early vote stats that the Biden campaign is sharing. O'Malley-Dillon is projecting confidence. pic.twitter.com/VE2agZqBTF
— 1️⃣ day until Nove〽️ber 3�� (@snowmanomics) November 2, 2020

Those numbers don't scream encouraging to me, honestly. Vermont, Colorado, and Virginia were never really toss-ups. Upper Midwest (Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin) looking promising. That gets Biden to 253.

Arizona (11) and North Carolina (15) looking strong. That would be 26 EV and the ballgame. Georgia (16 EV) at +4 with only 21% to go also looks better than I'd expect while Nevada (6) at +4 with 20% to go is a little scary (tho at 80%, there's not a lot of votes out there to make up ground). Maybe all of those fall the way they are looking right now and it doesn't matter. That's 299 but some of those are a bit tenuous.

But then the news gets a lot iffier.

On the other hand, Texas looks mostly done unless there's some gotv magic that I'm not seeing. Florida (+2/20% left), Ohio (+4/47%), NE-2 (+6/40%),
Iowa (+10/56%), and Pennsylvania (+big/64%) are some combination of too close and/or too much left to count.

This does seem to bode well for Dems in the Senate, looking at where they are polling better than expected.

SI

Old 11-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #5538
Jas_lov
College Starter

For Nevada I always follow Jon Ralston for the election. He said Biden has already built up a bigger margin in Clark County than Hillary and he predicted Biden would win by about 4.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #5539
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #5540
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
For Nevada I always follow Jon Ralston for the election. He said Biden has already built up a bigger margin in Clark County than Hillary and he predicted Biden would win by about 4.

I'm very confident that NV stays blue as long as Harry Reid is still alive. He's got one of the last machines in politics.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #5541
Ben E Lou

Our mailbox has never been as full as it has been in the last 2-3 weeks. Today's highlights were four mailers from Cunningham, two from Tillis, three on the state treasurer's race, and several other single ones.

RE: the polls here--Cunningham and Cooper are still enjoying a larger lead than Biden. Cooper's is still consistently double digits.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-02-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #5542
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
RE: the polls here--Cunningham and Cooper are still enjoying a larger lead than Biden. Cooper's is still consistently double digits.

My wife's parents are going to be flabbergasted.. or, more likely, think "Comrade Cooper" stole the election.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #5543
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think I get the same mailer from Victoria Spartz every day.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #5544
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Republicans suffer a loss in federal court on the Harris County, TX drive in ballots:

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status...60800497672197

Quote:
Update: Judge Hanen has taken the bench. "Says the plaintiffs don't have standing." That means case thrown out. 120,000 ballots are safe, for now!

Judge Hanen was also skeptical of why this complaint was brought to her today, the day before election day, when people had been voting this way for weeks.

And earlier in the hearing:

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status...13435896066048

Quote:
BREAKING: Judge Hanen said the Republicans who brought the case faced an "uphill road" in convincing him that the votes should be voided. The judge said the plaintiffs needed to show that Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins had an "evil motive" in allowing drive-through voting

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-02-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #5545
bob
College Starter

So feel free to tell me if I’m wrong but I keep seeing these arguments:

1. Rural areas shouldn’t be allowed to control cities, and conversely
2. Big cities shouldn’t be allowed to control the whole country.

So aren’t both sides arguing for more local control and that the federal govt is too big?
Old 11-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #5546
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Our mailbox has never been as full as it has been in the last 2-3 weeks. Today's highlights were four mailers from Cunningham, two from Tillis, three on the state treasurer's race, and several other single ones.

Amazingly enough, we got none here today

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-02-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #5547
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So feel free to tell me if I’m wrong but I keep seeing these arguments:

1. Rural areas shouldn’t be allowed to control cities, and conversely
2. Big cities shouldn’t be allowed to control the whole country.

So aren’t both sides arguing for more local control and that the federal govt is too big?

Or just arguing that who 'controls' the country should be determined in a fair and balanced way that's not skewed by default/tradition to one of them based on a procedure/system from a past that has less and less in common with today in terms of the factors influencing the results under that system ?

But then again the whole 'angst' about too big (an impact from) a federal government in the US seems very strange to me given the power that states actually have and how granular and 'local' certain institutions (like say Police/Sheriffs office, courts etc) actually are compared to elsewhere.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-02-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #5548
Thomkal
Head Coach

Woohoo for the Federal Court rejecting the Texas lawsuit! I had seen that they were already geared up to locate those voters today if judge had thrown out the votes. Glad they don't have to do it now.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #5549
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Amazingly enough, we got none here today

Spoiler: that's only because the USPS didn't deliver any of your mail

SI

Old 11-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #5550
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
My wife's parents are going to be flabbergasted.. or, more likely, think "Comrade Cooper" stole the election.
I mean, this one looks like it may get called at 7:31ish.