Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #851
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Classy stuff going after Wilson like that, Coastal....
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #852
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Whew! Beat Wisconsin in a close game. Been waiting to beat those guys for a long time. Go Hoosiers!

That’s a pretty good squad there at IU. Can’t get too upset losing that one. My step niece is an IU grad and did media work for the athletic department and is friends with lots of football players (and is dating a basketball player), so my sister will randomly tell me that so and so from the football/basketball team is at their house.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #853
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal holding their own, down by 1 against BYU at the half, a missed XP
Old 12-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #854
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
That’s a pretty good squad there at IU. Can’t get too upset losing that one. My step niece is an IU grad and did media work for the athletic department and is friends with lots of football players (and is dating a basketball player), so my sister will randomly tell me that so and so from the football/basketball team is at their house.

Pretty cool.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-05-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #855
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

That's how you play a fucking college football game.

Coastal deserves a shot.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #856
Thomkal
Head Coach

If I were a drinking man, I'd be getting drunk right now. Coastal doesn't look intimidated at all, kept their mistakes to a minimum, and stops BYU at the 2 yard line to win by 5! And the crazy season continues!
Old 12-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #857
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
That's how you play a fucking college football game.

Coastal deserves a shot.

I'll be very curious to see where they are ranked after this game-they looked like a ranked football team to me
Old 12-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #858
BYU 14
Coordinator

I can relate this BYU loss due to a similar mistake we made when I was at Westview in Avondale AZ in 2013. Undefeated going into the playoffs we drew Brophy, a team our staff had never beaten at Westview or previously at North Canyon. We played a much softer schedule than them and deviated way too much from our offensive identity because we had never beat them, and instead of just sticking to what served us all year, we got too fancy and got a first round exit instead of what should have been our third state title opportunity in 5 years. I am as pissed at the BYU coaches tonight as I was at myself and our staff 7 years ago.

As coaches we screwed those kids and Grimes and co did the same thing tonight to the BYU offense. Tuiaki held up his end of the deal with the defense with only 2 days to prep for a very diverse and unique offense.

This is ALL on the offensive staff and Kalani for not overriding much of that offensive coaching, that wilted under the spotlight!

And full props to CCU, they outcoached BYU, stayed true to their identity and got a big win. They were the better team tonight and earned this, their HC is going to get a shot on a bigger stage. He had the Chants ready to play and they earned it!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #859
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I can relate this BYU loss due to a similar mistake we made when I was at Westview in Avondale AZ in 2013. Undefeated going into the playoffs we drew Brophy, a team our staff had never beaten at Westview or previously at North Canyon. We played a much softer schedule than them and deviated way too much from our offensive identity because we had never beat them, and instead of just sticking to what served us all year, we got too fancy and got a first round exit instead of what should have been our third state title opportunity in 5 years. I am as pissed at the BYU coaches tonight as I was at myself and our staff 7 years ago.

As coaches we screwed those kids and Grimes and co did the same thing tonight to the BYU offense. Tuiaki held up his end of the deal with the defense with only 2 days to prep for a very diverse and unique offense.

This is ALL on the offensive staff and Kalani for not overriding much of that offensive coaching, that wilted under the spotlight!

And full props to CCU, they outcoached BYU, stayed true to their identity and got a big win. They were the better team tonight and earned this, their HC is going to get a shot on a bigger stage. He had the Chants ready to play and they earned it!

I just think CCU was better prepared for what BYU had to offer on both defense and offense. The announces kept going on and on about how BYU was used to being ahead by a lot and scoring 40 points a game, and I think there was some truth to it. Coastal has had several close games this season against the better teams in the Sun Belt, and were ready for it when this game was close too. I really didn't expect them to run as much and as successfully as they did-meant their freshman QB didn't have to try as much to win the game himself. I like BYU's QB a lot too.

I do hope this leads to a home/home series now, would be fun to see them play so far away from home in Utah
Old 12-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #860
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I just think CCU was better prepared for what BYU had to offer on both defense and offense. The announces kept going on and on about how BYU was used to being ahead by a lot and scoring 40 points a game, and I think there was some truth to it. Coastal has had several close games this season against the better teams in the Sun Belt, and were ready for it when this game was close too. I really didn't expect them to run as much and as successfully as they did-meant their freshman QB didn't have to try as much to win the game himself. I like BYU's QB a lot too.

I do hope this leads to a home/home series now, would be fun to see them play so far away from home in Utah

Definitely props to them for preparation, nobody has even remotely slowed BYU's offense down this season until yesterday. Word is the BYU AD is working on a return trip to Utah for the Chants, possibly as early as next season or 2022.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #861
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal dodges one bullet-their head coach did interview for the South Carolina head coaching job, but looks like its going to Oklahoma assistant Shane Beamer
Old 12-06-2020, 04:06 PM   #862
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal moves up 3 in AP Poll to 11, 1 (?) to 13 in Coaches poll
Old 12-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #863
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal dodges one bullet-their head coach did interview for the South Carolina head coaching job, but looks like its going to Oklahoma assistant Shane Beamer

Further increasing the likelihood that UT ends up with Freeze, you know, just so my household can enjoy a second stint on probation with that crooked mfer in the mix.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #864
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Further increasing the likelihood that UT ends up with Freeze, you know, just so my household can enjoy a second stint on probation with that crooked mfer in the mix.

But he can beat Saban apparently Jon. Actually Coastal's head coach is from Tennessee, so I'm all for a Freeze taking the job
Old 12-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #865
BishopMVP
Coordinator

On the one hand it doesn't matter even less than other times because they'll play each other again soon, on the other how is Clemson #2 & Notre Dame #4?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #866
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
On the one hand it doesn't matter even less than other times because they'll play each other again soon, on the other how is Clemson #2 & Notre Dame #4?

Where? Cause ND is 2 and Clemson is 4 in both AP & Coaches poll (and ND 2 and Clemson 3 in the most recent CFP)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:23 PM   #867
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Where? Cause ND is 2 and Clemson is 4 in both AP & Coaches poll (and ND 2 and Clemson 3 in the most recent CFP)
Saw it between the 4pm games ending & Chiefs/Broncos starting. Sound was off, maybe it was a projection if Clemson beats ND in the ACCCG.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #868
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

UM/OSU canceled.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #869
Kodos
Resident Alien

As much as I'd love to see IU in the Big Ten Championship game, OSU beat us head-to-head. They should represent the East division.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:08 PM   #870
HerRealName
College Prospect

Purdue may need to cancel, IU - OSU rematch? Or, even better, OSU vs A&M?
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #871
Ksyrup

OSU/A&M should happen.

It won't and maybe it can't, but it should.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-08-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #872
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
UM/OSU canceled.

Phew!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #873
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OSU/A&M should happen.

Makes for a pretty decent play-in game I think, cause it certainly would seem likely to be an eliminator. (though what if you had a 2-loss Clemson or a 1-loss Ohio State in play for the 4th spot?)
Old 12-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #874
Ksyrup

They need an A&M game. Even if they play and win a B1G champ game, 6-0 with wins over 2 teams with a winning record who themselves have only beat 1 winning team is beyond disqualifying given discrepancy in games played.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #875
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
OSU/A&M should happen.

That would really be fantastic.

Honestly though, if OSU slips in, they have to beat 2 really good teams to be NC. And if they do that, they deserve it regardless of being given the benefit of doubt.

Right or wrong, I think AL, Clemson would also be given that benefit of doubt if in the same situation.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #876
Atocep
Coordinator

The Big 10 is changing their rule to allow OSU in the title game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #877
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I've got no problem putting Ohio State ahead of Texas A&M, regardless of how few games they've played, and apparently the committee sees it the same way. A&M is a very good team, but they were absolutely destroyed by Alabama, and they've got several non-impressive wins (including beating Vanderbilt by five points).
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #878
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Big 10 is changing their rule to allow OSU in the title game.

In other shocking news, water is wet.

Anything else was simply never a realistic option.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #879
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not surprised that the Big Ten decided to change the rule to help OSU.

IU-Purdue has been cancelled. Sucks. We were gonna whip 'em.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-09-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #880
Ksyrup

I hate allowing teams like OSU in, but then I hate the whole "best teams" BS. If there was ever a year to use the typical logic that excludes non-P5 teams from serious consideration, this was it. In any given year, an OSU goes 12-0 or 11-1 and a Cincinnati goes 12-0, and the argument is - "Compare their schedules. Cincy's 12 wins don't measure up."

Well, this year you may have a team with 4 more wins then OSU has games played. There is no comparison of 4 wins to playing against air.

I hate the playoff system and would rather go back to BCS or immediately to 8 team play off. The way this now works is the equivalent of giving the MVP award to Lebron or Mike Trout every year before any games are ever played because they are the best players in their leagues.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #881
Atocep
Coordinator

They need to go back to the BCS or guarantee each P5 conference a spot in a playoff. Otherwise you get shit like this where the Big 10 (or anyone else) isn't going to risk missing out on the playoff. There's just too much incentive right now to stack the deck for your top team.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #882
bob
College Starter

As seen online:

“Clemson and ND should cancel the CCG due to "covid" if the buckeyes can get into the playoffs on 5-6 wins. Clemson and ND have zero to gain from playing again and can lose both playoff spots as well as players to injury.”

Personally I think the 4 team playoff may have ruined the sport.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #883
Ksyrup

This is nothing new though. Was it Auburn a couple of years ago who beat UGA and Alabama, then lost the UGA rematch in the SEC championship game and watched Alabama and UGA make the final 4? It feels like Alabama benefits from a 1 loss regular season every other year thanks to the "eye test" and playing in the mighty mighty SEC.

It's absolutely stupid the way this system works.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-09-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:31 PM   #884
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It really shouldn't be that hard. 8 team playoff. P5 champs, top ranked non p5, 2 at larges.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:40 PM   #885
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It really shouldn't be that hard. 8 team playoff. P5 champs, top ranked non p5, 2 at larges.

It ISN"T that hard, because 4 team playoff is already 2 too many.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #886
JPhillips
General Manager

So much lol

Old 12-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #887
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
It ISN"T that hard, because 4 team playoff is already 2 too many.

Nah, I like the 4 game playoff structure.

Sorry about the non P5 being treated poorly but strength of schedule should be a major input into the decision making.

I don't know how non P5 schedules, but why can't they schedule a couple big non-conference games with top tier P5 teams (e.g. not Arkansas or Vandy)? Beat them, win your conference, end up 12-0 and they'll be in the Top 4.

S**t, the Hogs have to play 6-7-8 Top 20 teams and sometimes 2 teams that made it into (or currently in the) Top 5 in a season.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-09-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #888
Thomkal
Head Coach

ESPNU says BYU/Coastal game was the most watched on that channel since 2015 with a total of TV and Digital viewers numbering over 1.4 million.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #889
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Sorry about the non P5 being treated poorly but strength of schedule should be a major input into the decision making.

And so this year in particular, let's say OSU goes 6-0 and Cincinnati goes 9-0. Strength of schedule - you're telling me 3 wins against actual teams doesn't outweigh NOTHING? Strength of schedule has absolutely no meaning if you can literally play fewer games and still win a strength of schedule argument.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #890
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
And so this year in particular, let's say OSU goes 6-0 and Cincinnati goes 9-0. Strength of schedule - you're telling me 3 wins against actual teams doesn't outweigh NOTHING? Strength of schedule has absolutely no meaning if you can literally play fewer games and still win a strength of schedule argument.

This year is an aberration.

The argument about non P5 not being treated well comes up all the time. Again, have those non P5 contenders schedule non-conference with a couple top tier P5 teams.

Beat those 2 teams, win your conference, go 12-0 and you're in.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #891
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

I don't know how non P5 schedules, but why can't they schedule a couple big non-conference games with top tier P5 teams (e.g. not Arkansas or Vandy)? .

Because the big P5 schools won't play them for fear of being beaten.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #892
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Strength of schedule has absolutely no meaning if you can literally play fewer games and still win a strength of schedule argument.

You would win a strength of schedule argument against a lot of the non P5s on the basis of a P5 spring scrimmage.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:54 AM   #893
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The amusing thing is the committee angling for Iowa State to jump A&M. Iowa State got beaten down by Louisiana, who's only loss is to undefeated Coastal. And Iowa State is 12 spots ahead of Louisiana despite not playing anyone good either.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #894
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Because the big P5 schools won't play them for fear of being beaten.

I'm not sure who you have in mind specifically but Ohio State beat Cincinnati 42-0 just last season. I'm guessing it was probably brought up here as an example of Ohio State's weak schedule last year.

If nothing else, this season has proved that there is no need to schedule games years and decades into the future. I don't see that changing since all those contracts and agreements are already in place though.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #895
Ksyrup

Quote:
You would win a strength of schedule argument against a lot of the non P5s on the basis of a P5 spring scrimmage.

Still better than beating air.

I don't want the best teams, I want the most deserving. A 9 win team that played a non-P5 schedule is more deserving than a P5 team that won 6 games.

And again, if it's strength of schedule, there's no argument for 6 games being better than 9. There just isn't.

This year IS an aberration, which is why this is the perfect time to reward the teams that actually played the games.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-10-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #896
Ksyrup

Also, the scheduling is never enough. Boise State would be lucky to get a decent team to play to start the year, then it was "yeah, but that's the only one." For most P5 teams, playing a Boise State is a lose-lose proposition. So they rarely schedule them.

I'm guessing OSU played Cincy last year because of Luke Fickell.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #897
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

[quote=Ksyrup;3317544]I don't want the best teams, I want the most deserving. A 9 win team that played a non-P5 schedule is more deserving than a P5 team that won 6 games. [quote]

That's where we disagree

I don't hold a quarter/a third of P5s in higher regard than a top notch HS team in a serious state. The number of non- P5s I consider being anything more than I-AA would leave me with fingers leftover.

I've advocated separating D1 into realistic tiers for a number of years now, this is part of the reason why.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #898
Ksyrup

Well, I think we kinda agree. What I would say is, if you're going to have everybody playing under one roof for a championship, all teams should be considered. I wouldn't have a problem segregating the P5s from the non-P5s to play for separate tiered championships, but how it's structured now, those teams should be in it if they have the resume. And I get the apples to apples comparison of a 12-0 non-P5 isn't really the same as an 11-1 P5, but in this year especially, a team like OSU should be watching from the sidelines.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #899
JPhillips
General Manager

The playoffs, though, are primarily about money and secondarily about determining a champion. Picking UC over OSU may be justified for the secondary goal, but it measurably harms the primary goal.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #900
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So much lol
LSU is self-imposing a one-year postseason football ban for the 2020-21 season due to NCAA rules violations pic.twitter.com/pQL6EU7Hiv
— Bleacher Report CFB (@BR_CFB) December 10, 2020

Kansas would like to self-impose a multi-year bowl ban retroactively from 2009 and going through 2022 and a 2020 NCAA Tournament ban for NCAA rules violations stemming from the farcical FBI Investigation

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote