Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #30551
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Part of the problem with turnout is a lot of our votes simply don’t matter. I voted, but nothing I voted on was ever up for debate. Trump was always winning Indiana and Pence was always winning the house seat. There were no contested local elections or any initiatives on the ballot. I feel like outside of a few states most of us are probably in this same situation.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #30552
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
The very next sentence that you didn't bold said this" the highest rate since 1900, when 73.7 percent of the population turned out to vote".

Not sure what your expectations are, but anything above 60% should be considered solid turnout. Especially during a pandemic.

The last election to go over 60% was 1968.

It would help if we stopped throwing people off of voting rolls and made it easier to vote. It was really easy for me to vote in Texas and you saw we had high turnout. Make it a Saturday, mandate the amount of polling places per population and distance from residences (so you don't get the whole shenanigans with certain areas having 5 hour lines and others having no wait) - but these things are features not bugs.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #30553
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
What kept them from throwing him out when they had the chance to impeach Trump?
Or am I disinformed and it wasn't up to them?

They were afraid of in turn being thrown out themselves if they voted for impeachment. This is a big reason why the 17th amendment was bad. Previously, senators were answerable to the state legislatures. They had a bit more of a free hand because they were not up for elections. Currently, they are at the whims of the people. Yes, there were issues with appointing Senators before, but you in theory had more institutional knowledge and less of a demand to tear down Senate institutions than what you have today.

Side note, but one of the reasons why super majorities for some votes were nice was it kept us from lurching one direction then another when public opinion shifted a couple of %. When you had to get to 60%, there was a lot more horse trading and a lot more moderation. As the number of votes that require the super majority goes down, you get the swings we have seen, and all this doom and gloom because the wind of public opinion shifted slightly.

I said back then, the impeachment set a bad precedent because the evidence for impeachment was lacking. There is more solid evidence linking Biden to the stuff in the Ukraine than there ever was with Trump.

The tin foil hat part of me thinks that is part of the greater plan to get Harris in office. Biden wins the election because he is relatively harmless or won't generate the negatives Hillary did, then you force him out with the scandal and you get your preferred candidate all along in Harris. If they ran Tim Kaine with Biden I probably would have voted for him (again depending upon their platform, but a Biden-Kaine would in theory be moderate enough for me).

Last edited by Warhammer : 11-04-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:54 AM   #30554
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Exactly who prefers Harris? Her star faded after that cringeworthy "that little girl was me" moment in the primary debate.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #30555
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is is the far left that can't stand that she was a prosecutor with a bit of a sketchy history and views her as part of the problem of the center of the party like Biden or the middle that still has more than its fair share of racism and sexism and is like "I can't see a black woman as VP and Biden is so old"?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-04-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #30556
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
TThere is more solid evidence linking Biden to the stuff in the Ukraine than there ever was with Trump.

The tin foil hat part of me

...writes things like the above.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #30557
Atocep
Coordinator

Wait

A government IG found the complaint against Trump valid enough to investigate yet Biden's link to Ukraine which largely came from the Steve Bannon opposition research group that brought us hits such as "Hillary sold our Uranium to Ukraine" is more valid?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #30558
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

There is more solid evidence linking Biden to the stuff in the Ukraine than there ever was with Trump.

There's as much evidence linking Biden as there is linking Hillary to the basement in a pizza parlor.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #30559
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They were afraid of in turn being thrown out themselves if they voted for impeachment. This is a big reason why the 17th amendment was bad. Previously, senators were answerable to the state legislatures. They had a bit more of a free hand because they were not up for elections. Currently, they are at the whims of the people. Yes, there were issues with appointing Senators before, but you in theory had more institutional knowledge and less of a demand to tear down Senate institutions than what you have today.

Side note, but one of the reasons why super majorities for some votes were nice was it kept us from lurching one direction then another when public opinion shifted a couple of %. When you had to get to 60%, there was a lot more horse trading and a lot more moderation. As the number of votes that require the super majority goes down, you get the swings we have seen, and all this doom and gloom because the wind of public opinion shifted slightly.

I said back then, the impeachment set a bad precedent because the evidence for impeachment was lacking. There is more solid evidence linking Biden to the stuff in the Ukraine than there ever was with Trump.

The tin foil hat part of me thinks that is part of the greater plan to get Harris in office. Biden wins the election because he is relatively harmless or won't generate the negatives Hillary did, then you force him out with the scandal and you get your preferred candidate all along in Harris. If they ran Tim Kaine with Biden I probably would have voted for him (again depending upon their platform, but a Biden-Kaine would in theory be moderate enough for me).

Harris didn't come close to winning a primary. It's absurd to see her as the "preferred candidate."
Old 11-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #30560
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Harris as the "preferred" candidate is right wing talking point. It is all over that this was just a way to sneak Harris into the presidency. It is ridiculous, but it helps scare the white people.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #30561
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Trump isn't getting much support from his fellow republicans.

"Claiming you've won the election is different from finishing the counting." - Mitch McConnell

"The votes will be counted and you will either win or lose," Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger replied to Trump on Twitter. "When the results are confirmed, we must accept the outcomes with respect for our democracy."

"Regardless of where you stand on this race and what party you are and who you voted for, most Americans really want a free and fair election process, and they want us to count the votes." - Gov. Larry Hogan

"It's best for everyone to step back from the spin and allow the vote counters to do their job." - Sen. Mike Lee

"Under our Constitution, state legislatures set the rules and states administer our elections. We should respect that process and ensure that all ballots cast in accordance with state laws are counted. It's that simple." - Sen. Rob Portman

"Taking days to count legally cast votes is NOT fraud." - Sen. Marco Rubio

Utah's Republican Gov.-elect Spencer Cox called the Trump campaign's claims "garbage" and said "there is nothing nefarious about it taking a few days to count all legitimate votes.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #30562
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Trump isn't getting much support from his fellow republicans.

"Claiming you've won the election is different from finishing the counting." - Mitch McConnell

"The votes will be counted and you will either win or lose," Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger replied to Trump on Twitter. "When the results are confirmed, we must accept the outcomes with respect for our democracy."

"Regardless of where you stand on this race and what party you are and who you voted for, most Americans really want a free and fair election process, and they want us to count the votes." - Gov. Larry Hogan

"It's best for everyone to step back from the spin and allow the vote counters to do their job." - Sen. Mike Lee

"Under our Constitution, state legislatures set the rules and states administer our elections. We should respect that process and ensure that all ballots cast in accordance with state laws are counted. It's that simple." - Sen. Rob Portman

Utah's Republican Gov.-elect Spencer Cox called the Trump campaign's claims "garbage" and said "there is nothing nefarious about it taking a few days to count all legitimate votes.
They used him. They kissed up to him. Now they're done with him.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #30563
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Looks like his kids and Rudy are his go-to surrogates right now, and that's not good for him.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #30564
kingfc22
Head Coach

/EndThread

It's coming
Old 11-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #30565
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Is is the far left that can't stand that she was a prosecutor with a bit of a sketchy history and views her as part of the problem of the center of the party like Biden or the middle that still has more than its fair share of racism and sexism and is like "I can't see a black woman as VP and Biden is so old"?

She was locking up homeless mothers for truancy violations while Steven Mnuchin openly ran a fraudulent bank throughout the state with impunity.

She is fine for the position, but people can be upset that she was bought and paid for.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #30566
Jukeman
Mascot

Orange is sus, vote him out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #30567
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

This guy

After his performance during the Trump administration, he could replace Jey Uso in the current Roman Reigns story line.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #30568
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wasn't today supposed to be the day where either:

a) COVID will magically disappear or,
b) An announcement of a readily available vaccine?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #30569
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
They used him. They kissed up to him. Now they're done with him.

Exactly. Now that it looks like he's losing, they have no need for him. Mitch is evil, but he's smart. He knows what he's doing. They have the Senate. They'll be fine and can block anything they want. Another 4 years of Trump could just make the Senate more vulnerable, especially in 2022.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:00 PM   #30570
RainMaker
General Manager

Everyone crunching numbers seems to think Biden will coast to a win in Pennsylvania. If Georgia flips, this might be a fairly large electoral victory.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #30571
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes looking like PA win by 2 points if absentees continue to break like they have, and GA is going to be razor thin but if Biden takes about 70ish% he would probably win though a recount is virtually guaranteed. AK and NC to Trump, but that may be it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #30572
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm surprised Alaska hasn't been called for trump yet. That state hasn't gone blue since 1960.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #30573
Thomkal
Head Coach

I just can't celebrate until all the votes are counted-Biden could still lose
Old 11-04-2020, 07:20 PM   #30574
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I just can't celebrate until all the votes are counted-Biden could still lose

This is definitely me. No celebrating yet. I hope we can soon, but, after 2016, anything can happen.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #30575
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We came pretty close to big problems last night. Apparently, the DoJ sent out a memo to federal prosecutors that said they could send federal law enforcement into counting locations. Luckily nobody took them up on the offer.

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-04-2020 at 08:57 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #30576
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
We came pretty close to big problems last night. Apparently, the DoJ sent out a memo to federal prosecutors that they could send federal law enforcement into counting locations. Lucky nobody took them up on the offer.

The tell-all stories about this administration will be horrifying. Like those nuclear near-misses we read about from the 70s and 80s.

SI

Old 11-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #30577
Galaril
Pro Starter

I know he could still win this one but 2024 NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trump Advisers Reportedly Say He Could Announce a 2024 Run If He Loses to Biden
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #30578
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I know he could still win this one but 2024 NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Republican Primary in such a scenario would be in freaking sane--every candidate saying what a terrible President teh Donald was, and Trump's campaign firing back with video clip of that candidate praising Trump.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #30579
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

I called this on Sportsdigs two weeks ago. It follows his behavior, and isn't a surprise at all. You can add that WHEN he does this, he will not abide by the precedent of previous presidents staying quite, and will weigh in with criticism multiple times per day, every day, in every media that will give give him time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #30580
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if the party will even have primaries in 2024 or just skip them like they did this year.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-05-2020 at 11:56 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #30581
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The Republican Primary in such a scenario would be in freaking sane--every candidate saying what a terrible President teh Donald was, and Trump's campaign firing back with video clip of that candidate praising Trump.

On the other hand, there are probably also clips of the candidates saying terrible things about Trump pre-2016 election.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #30582
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Shouldn't the only reason for Trump to be scared about the election being rigged be based on being convinced the previous election was also rigged?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #30583
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Of course he is. He can grift for four more years from rubes.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #30584
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Of course he is. He can grift for four more years from rubes.

He needs to pay off those loans somehow.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #30585
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think the interesting thing to watch should he lose is how Fox News handles him. Do they let him call and take up 90 minutes on Fox & Friends? Is Hannity still his best buddy? He won't willingly go away, but will he have the same pulpit?
Old 11-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #30586
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The contesting the election thing made Jill Stein a lot of money, and I'm sure Trump can do much better than her.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #30587
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

My wife and I talked about this over the last week. She almost wants him to win just so we'll be done with him since he wouldn't be able to run again.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #30588
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
My wife and I talked about this over the last week. She almost wants him to win just so we'll be done with him since he wouldn't be able to run again.

You know that won't stop him, right? This is a man who has already talked about trying to get rid of the 2 term limits and clearly has no regard for things like rule of law, at least as it pertains to him

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-05-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #30589
Kodos
Resident Alien

Plus, with Trump, I'd never be to comfortable with him living another 4 years. Not a health nut.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #30590
spleen1015
Coordinator

I've always said if he managed to remove term limits then Obama just comes back and runs against him.

I don't think he makes it alive to 2024. If he is still alive, he won't have it upstairs to handle it.

We really need the press to ignore him. They're the reason why he was ever elected in the first place. Had they not given him as much run as they did, he never would have gotten elected.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #30591
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
On the other hand, there are probably also clips of the candidates saying terrible things about Trump pre-2016 election.

Sadly this didn't work well here in SC with Harrison and others showing Lindsay doing this, so not sure it would even matter to Republicans

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-05-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #30592
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I've always said if he managed to remove term limits then Obama just comes back and runs against him.

That would be... well, that would be amazing.

SI

Old 11-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #30593
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Plus, with Trump, I'd never be to comfortable with him living another 4 years. Not a health nut.

This led me to try to figure out what city will eventually host Donald J. Trump International (?) Airport.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #30594
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You know that won't stop him, right? This is a man who has already talked about trying to get rid of the 2 term limits and clearly has no regard for things like rule of law, at least as it pertains to him

SI

Yeah, I know. I mentioned that. We both just sighed and pretended that couldn't possibly happen....

I think it's more likely that a different Trump is running in 2024 due to the President's age.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #30595
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
This led me to try to figure out what city will eventually host Donald J. Trump International (?) Airport.

Atlantic City?

SI

Old 11-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #30596
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"Presidential Library? Why can't I build it in Central Park?"

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-05-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #30597
stevew
Hall Of Famer

i believe you should have to read a book before you get a library.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #30598
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Actually, I'm an idiot. It's so obvious: The West Palm Beach Mar-A-Lago Donald J. Trump International, no, Intergalactic Airport and Spaceport!

SI

Old 11-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #30599
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
i believe you should have to read a book before you get a library.

Didn't stop Dubya from getting one

SI

Old 11-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #30600
Ben E Lou

I don’t want him to run, but forcing his GOP enablers to deal with him in the 2024 primaries would be the punishment they so richly deserve. I mean, now that I think about it, isn’t this the obvious answer to my poll? Whenever it becomes clear that his court challenges aren’t going to work, he just claims fraud, announces his 2024 candidacy against the rigged, corrupt system, and starts doing rallies as early as December. Heck, why wouldn’t he hold a rally at the same time as the inauguration?