Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #101
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Plenty of coaches will be okay with getting fired after one year and collecting $14 million for the effort, like Tomsula.

This is kinda my point though, sure plenty of mediocre borderline NFL head coaches or long shots are going to love to collect $14 million for one season of effort, but you aren't going to get the really good candidates doing it this way, because they just aren't going to give you the time of day. It's not like in the NFL these days these one and done candidates are ever getting another shot.

And yeah, the 49ers are likely not going to get top candidates for a long time with the way things went down a year ago, and ditto for the Browns under Haslam. But maybe if you give Tomsula another year and recognize that he didn't do such a terrible job in a complete clusterfuck of a situation, maybe coaches see that and your reputation starts to head in the right direction again. I can't imagine they are going to get someone great who turns things right around anyway. I may be wrong.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #102
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I've lost touch with who the Philly beat writers are, but the suggestion they're making is that it's Doug Pederson's race to lose, with Adam Gase in second place.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #103
Atocep
Coordinator

Hopefully Chicago gets at least another year from Gase.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #104
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
And yeah, the 49ers are likely not going to get top candidates for a long time with the way things went down a year ago, and ditto for the Browns under Haslam. But maybe if you give Tomsula another year and recognize that he didn't do such a terrible job in a complete clusterfuck of a situation, maybe coaches see that and your reputation starts to head in the right direction again. I can't imagine they are going to get someone great who turns things right around anyway. I may be wrong.

Yeah. One thing that I think was smart about the Falcons sticking with Mike Smith one year too long--it was a new(ish) owner sending a message that he will give coaches the benefit of the doubt and every chance to turn things around.

You really want to get a reputation of stability (Giants, Steelers) instead of constant rebuilding.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #105
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So the draft.

Tennessee at #1 has an exciting decision. They can stay at #1 and take Bosa or Tunsil(who unfortunately would be called "Turnstile" if he has a bad game). Or they can Hope that someone falls in love with Goff and trade out for mad bank.

The Cowboys(maybe), Niners, Dolphins(less likely) and Eagles all need a QB. Seems like a Jerry type move to trade to #1 if they want Goff. Maybe the best move would simply be for the Titans and Browns to work out a trade before a bidding war for #1 ensues? Titans and Browns swap first and second round picks and the Browns give up their 3rd perhaps?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #106
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Maybe the best move would simply be for the Titans and Browns to work out a trade before a bidding war for #1 ensues?

Why wouldn't the Titans want a bidding war?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #107
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Why wouldn't the Titans want a bidding war?

Lemme clarify. I think they would want a war, but the Titans may love the OT or the DE so much that they don't want to drop past 3. Getting the first pick on day 2 would allow them a ton of trade flexibility. An extra 3rd gets them into the mid 20s if they want to trade up into the first.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #108
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Is there anyone good enough for any kind of bidding war to break out? Is Goff really considered that good a prospect?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #109
Logan
Head Coach

I'd be really surprised if Goff or any of the QBs lead to anything near what we have seen in the past in terms of what teams are willing to trade to move up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #110
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dallas is going to trade for/sign "Johnny Football" after Cleveland releases him, so no need to trade up tp #1
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #111
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Seems like a Jerry type move to trade to #1 if they want Goff.

Jerry trades down, very rarely does he trade up. He likes trying to find the diamond in the rough instead of spending money on a high pick. He's only drafted one QB in the first round (and only 4 total) during his 25 years in Dallas...Troy Aikman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Dallas is going to trade for/sign "Johnny Football" after Cleveland releases him, so no need to trade up tp #1

You shut your filthy mouth!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 01-08-2016 at 02:08 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #112
Kodos
Resident Alien

He really is a Jerry kind of player, isn't he? My jerk-magnet theory also suggests Maziel to Dallas or Baltimore.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
it was a new(ish) owner sending a message that he will give coaches the benefit of the doubt and every chance to turn things around.

Or the message that it's okay to suck.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #114
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm surprised that there's even any question that Manziel is going to be in Dallas next year.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #115
SteveMax58
College Starter

Detroit Lions to hire Bob Quinn as general manager - NFL.com

Interesting move. Don't know much about Quinn but I guess he can't be all bad right?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #116
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Perhaps then they should never have hired Lovie in the first place if he had such a bad reputation at developing QB's. They knew they were going to go QB with their first pick with Winston. I'm not a Lovie defender by any means, I just think he wasn't given enough time to develop him is all.

I hear Lovie is going to be the OC in Arizona next year if their OC jumps ship for a HC position. Just give him time...

Last edited by Dutch : 01-09-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #117
Thomkal
Head Coach

God help us
Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #118
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

I fully support this!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #119
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I hear Lovie is going to be the OC in Arizona next year if their OC jumps ship for a HC position. Just give him time...

DC?
Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #120
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
DC?

Arizona
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #121
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Arizona

I think he was asking if that was a typo and meant DC or defensive coordinator, not OC.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-09-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:30 AM   #122
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I think he was asking if that was a typo and meant DC or defensive coordinator, not OC.

He wasssssssssssssssss?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:31 AM   #123
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post

I should've quoted my reference. It was all just meant for Thomkal who suggested Lovie should've gotten more time.

In theory, it sounds like the nice thing to do, but if Lovie's greatest accomplishment in 2 years is drafting Jameis Winston first overall and then watching Jameis be successful as a rookie, that's a bad sign. Since Lovie had very little, if anything to do with it.

So...if we are going to give accolades to Lovie for the offense as a reason he should've stayed (and with back to back bottom of the barrel defenses which he was the "mastermind" of) then it would only make sense to challenge the logic Thomkal was putting out there by offering him up for AZ's potential OC vacancy.

C'mon people, keep up! Work with me here!

Last edited by Dutch : 01-09-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #124
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Tampa also had a running back reutn to his old form as well. Does Lovie get credit for getting Doug Martin back to his 1st year of form? He improved on his best-ever season of 4.6 ypc as a rookie to 4.9, carried the ball a bit less and still finished with 1400+ yards. He also got All Pro nod. Does Lovie not get some credit for that?

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-09-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #125
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I should've quoted my reference. It was all just meant for Thomkal who suggested Lovie should've gotten more time.

In theory, it sounds like the nice thing to do, but if Lovie's greatest accomplishment in 2 years is drafting Jameis Winston first overall and then watching Jameis be successful as a rookie, that's a bad sign. Since Lovie had very little, if anything to do with it.

So...if we are going to give accolades to Lovie for the offense as a reason he should've stayed (and with back to back bottom of the barrel defenses which he was the "mastermind" of) then it would only make sense to challenge the logic Thomkal was putting out there by offering him up for AZ's potential OC vacancy.

C'mon people, keep up! Work with me here!

Don't challenge my "logic"!
Old 01-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #126
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I don't get all the hype over Gase. With all of Peyton's audibling it's not exactly a major feather in his cap being the OC that time frame. I would not consider the Bears' offense impressive. I don't get it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #127
sabotai
General Manager

Miami Dolphins hire Adam Gase as new head coach - NFL.com

Gase to the Dolphins.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #128
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Coughlin is talking to the Eagles?
Old 01-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #129
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I don't get all the hype over Gase. With all of Peyton's audibling it's not exactly a major feather in his cap being the OC that time frame. I would not consider the Bears' offense impressive. I don't get it.

The bears had a top 10 offense this year with a group of receivers no one could name and Cutler had his best season as a bear.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #130
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The bears had a top 10 offense this year with a group of receivers no one could name and Cutler had his best season as a bear.

What stats are you looking at?

The Bears were 23rd in points per game and 21st in yards per game.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #131
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What stats are you looking at?

The Bears were 23rd in points per game and 21st in yards per game.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 OFFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

10th in DVOA and 9th in weighted offense.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #132
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I put a lot more faith in the points and yardage stat. I've watched their games. There is nothing top ten about that offense.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #133
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I put a lot more faith in the points and yardage stat. I've watched their games. There is nothing top ten about that offense.

Points and yardage don't tell the whole story for any team at any level. I watched every Bears game this year and after Cutler came back from injury the offense was very good despite a revolving door at receiver and Forte missing time. The 9-12 range is about where I would have expected them to be based on how they played after the Seattle game.

Gase's offense isn't what's going to determine whether or not he's a successful head coach or not anyway. It's going to be his organizational skills, ability to handle players, and how he handles a game. Coordinators are judged far too heavily on how well they coach a particular side of the ball when their impact in that area becomes more limited as a head coach.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #134
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Points and yardage don't tell the whole story for any team at any level. I watched every Bears game this year and after Cutler came back from injury the offense was very good despite a revolving door at receiver and Forte missing time. The 9-12 range is about where I would have expected them to be based on how they played after the Seattle game.

Gase's offense isn't what's going to determine whether or not he's a successful head coach or not anyway. It's going to be his organizational skills, ability to handle players, and how he handles a game. Coordinators are judged far too heavily on how well they coach a particular side of the ball when their impact in that area becomes more limited as a head coach.

I have no clue if he will be a good coach; I am just saying that I don't see what suddenly made him the "it" person this year.

We saw how well that worked out for Chip Kelly.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #135
cuervo72
Head Coach

Czaban was commenting on that the other day - the fact that there always has to be that "it" coordinator. And that he had no idea why Gase was picked for it, unless there just isn't anybody else.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #136
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

As for the Bears offense:

Yards per game: 21st
Yards per play: 21st
1st Downs per game: 21st
3rd down percentage: 6th
Time of Possession: 8th
Points per game: 23rd
Completion %: 13th
Yards per pass attempt: 13th
Passer Rating: 16th
Yards per Carry: 16th
Sacks Allowed: 12th

What of that makes the offense a "top 10" offense in the league? Middle of the road at best.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #137
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Best News Ever!

The Jags are heading back to teh Senior Bowl for the thrid year in a row! So awesome.

Here re the Senior Bowl players we drafted in 2014 as one example of how awesome we learned these folks:

3rd - OG Brandon Linder - Often the lone good O LIne on our team
4th - CB AAron Colvin - great nickel, forced into a starter this yer and wasn't hot at it, but we'll likely slide him back to nickel to where he flourishes
5th - LB Telvin Smith - Amazing value pick, we robbed the league with this pick
6th - DE Chris Smith - Didn't really do a lot

2015 - CB NIck Marshall was a UFA we grabbed and he looks pretty saucy

Love to see a 2014-eque sweep of the great players from the Senior Bowl.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #138
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
As for the Bears offense:

Yards per game: 21st
Yards per play: 21st
1st Downs per game: 21st
3rd down percentage: 6th
Time of Possession: 8th
Points per game: 23rd
Completion %: 13th
Yards per pass attempt: 13th
Passer Rating: 16th
Yards per Carry: 16th
Sacks Allowed: 12th

What of that makes the offense a "top 10" offense in the league? Middle of the road at best.

You can choose to go by raw numbers or per play, per drive, adjusted for opponent metrics.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #139
cuervo72
Head Coach

Probably reading too much into it, but that was an interesting exchange between Gruden and Tirico. Gruden throws out a stat, Tirico replies with "Seven years ago when you started here you didn't care at all about stats, now here you are with a stack of them." Gruden answers with a "I'm going to miss you man" and a big handshake. I know it's the last ESPN game for a while and Gruden may just miss Tirico over the offseason, but that almost read like Gruden was going back to coaching.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #140
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Maybe Gruden is working behind the scenes to get Tirico fired?
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #141
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hah.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #142
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Probably reading too much into it, but that was an interesting exchange between Gruden and Tirico. Gruden throws out a stat, Tirico replies with "Seven years ago when you started here you didn't care at all about stats, now here you are with a stack of them." Gruden answers with a "I'm going to miss you man" and a big handshake. I know it's the last ESPN game for a while and Gruden may just miss Tirico over the offseason, but that almost read like Gruden was going back to coaching.

I heard on sports radio that Gruden reached out to the Eagles.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #143
miked
College Starter

I get advanced statistics tell some sort of story, but if you can't judge an offense by points and yardage, what else really matters?

Unless your kicker is 0-50 on FG, pts and yds are pretty important!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #144
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I heard on sports radio that Gruden reached out to the Eagles.

Oh well if you heard it on sports radio.

(I wouldn't dismiss that possibility though, he was there for 3 years as OC early in Lurie's ownership. Would he want to go into the same division as his brother?)
Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #145
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I like the Tampa situation the best of those open. But obv that makes no sense for Gruden since he was there before.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #146
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I get advanced statistics tell some sort of story, but if you can't judge an offense by points and yardage, what else really matters?

Unless your kicker is 0-50 on FG, pts and yds are pretty important!

Advanced Statistics just try to take as many variables out of it as possible. If you play the Seahawks and gain 350 yards it is VERY impressive. If you do that against the Saints it is just a normal game against the Saints. Advanced football stats are far from perfect though.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #147
stevew
Hall Of Famer

who's coaching the Bengals next year? Hue?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 PM   #148
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
who's coaching the Bengals next year? Hue?

Lovie
Old 01-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #149
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Lovie

Ouch.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:37 PM   #150
cuervo72
Head Coach