Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #401
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Good luck Jack DR. Welcome back to the (head) coaching ranks buddy!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #402
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I question whether that is a good hire.

Del Rio wasn't a trainwreck at Jacksonville; he was actually moderately competent. But he didn't show me he could take a team to the next level, being a playoff contender. And when his defense last weekend needed to show up and prop up Manning's flagging O, it failed pretty miserably.

I think Del Rio could be a good HC with an organization with a history of strong support and scouting, a good front office and a strong owner. I don't know that the Raiders have any of that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #403
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Del Rio wasn't a trainwreck at Jacksonville; he was actually moderately competent. But he didn't show me he could take a team to the next level, being a playoff contender. And when his defense last weekend needed to show up and prop up Manning's flagging O, it failed pretty miserably.

I think Del Rio could be a good HC with an organization with a history of strong support and scouting, a good front office and a strong owner. I don't know that the Raiders have any of that.

I completely agree with you.

But I'm not sure the Raiders could do any better with all the uncertainty surrounding the organization.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #404
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFL Network had an "Inside Jaguars Training Camp" show years ago. It was basically Hard Knocks before Hard Knocks. I watched it and, as a result, have always liked Del Rio (and, randomly, the Jaguars's kicker--Josh Scobee) from that show.

I hope he does well. With Carr and that cap room, the Raiders could be a serious contender sooner rather than later.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #405
Kodos
Resident Alien

Peyton Manning should not retire; he was likely playing hurt | The MMQB with Peter King
Old 01-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #406
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jack Del Rio is the perfect type of second tier recycled aging garbage to coach the raiders. Bravo, Raiders gotta Raider
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #407
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Can somebody remind me how Del Rio "failed pretty miserably" giving up 24 points to one of the best QB's in the game? What does that mean for New England's D who gave up 31 to Flacco?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #408
Galaril
Pro Starter

Report on Yahoo says Gary Kubiak to be named Broncos head coach.

edit: I am not able to find any other sources so must have been bogus.

Last edited by Galaril : 01-14-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #409
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Can somebody remind me how Del Rio "failed pretty miserably" giving up 24 points to one of the best QB's in the game? What does that mean for New England's D who gave up 31 to Flacco?

First time all year he moved Talib to only guarding the slot guy in this case Ty Hilton when all year it has been Chris Harris who is at present even better of a CB at least in that role. Also he puts his defense in exclusively a zone coverage mopst of the game and did not move the rushers around nor was quick to make adjustments when thos rushing lanes were not open or effective.
Also, as usual he was not willing to add in blitzs enough and gave Luck plenty of time.
Like Fox the team accomplished what they did this year in spite of Fox and JDR not because of it.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #410
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yahoo? Bogus? No way.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #411
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Yahoo? Bogus? No way.

Haha yeah no kidding.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #412
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Actually, on a per play basis, Indy was a solid, but not spectacular offense in the regular season. Denver had one of the statistically best defenses in the league. Denver has excellent personnel for putting pressure on and Indy was the most turnover-prone team in the playoffs, but the Broncos didn't play to their strength and force Indy to make plays under pressure. A very good Denver D should hold a just good offense at home to less points than 24.

But again I still will note most of the blame for the loss is on Denver's offense. But the D doesn't have a torn right quad to blame their problems on.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-14-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #413
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
First time all year he moved Talib to only guarding the slot guy in this case Ty Hilton when all year it has been Chris Harris who is at present even better of a CB at least in that role. Also he puts his defense in exclusively a zone coverage mopst of the game and did not move the rushers around nor was quick to make adjustments when thos rushing lanes were not open or effective.
Also, as usual he was not willing to add in blitzs enough and gave Luck plenty of time.
Like Fox the team accomplished what they did this year in spite of Fox and JDR not because of it.
Del Rio and Gase combined for one of the worst off/def gameplans in a playoff game that I've seen in a while. In addition to putting Talib (slower, press corner who shades WR to the middle) on a quick slot WR who runs crossing patterns (mind boggling), playing a ton of zone with no blitzing (even Dalton could have hit some of the open seam routes) and lining up his pass rushers in the same spot the entire game - he also had the LBs way too deep for many obvious running plays. It was a brain dead effort by a DC. From the 2nd quarter on, the Colts had just one 3-and-out with 4 of the 7 total drives ending between 8 and 12 plays and resulting in 24 points. The colts punted twice (one on the final drive when they were killing clock) in the final 3 quarters.

When you look at the talent on the DL (Knighton, Ware), LB (Miller, Marshall) and DB (Talib, Harris, Ward) - that seems awful to me. This was a top 5 defense playing at home against an average OL, no real RB and 1 legit receiver - and they mustered 0 sacks, 4 QB hits and 3 punts (not counting the final drive). Why they didn't start blitzing Luck and mixing up coverages after the first quarter is beyond me.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #414
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Has there ever been a time where a head coach got fired but both of his coordinators got hired as head coaches in the same season?
Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #415
SteveMax58
College Starter

I'd just like to thank John Elway....

John Elway says he'd like to thank 'John Elway' | Watch the video - Yahoo Sports
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #416
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post

I imagine the Broncos will be thanking John Elway for all his hard work he in a season or two when they introduce his replacement.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #417
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I imagine the Broncos will be thanking John Elway for all his hard work he in a season or two when they introduce his replacement.

I doubt that.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #418
Kodos
Resident Alien

Me too.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #419
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hmm, assuming Manning retires (which is a big leap) I'd say three years.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #420
Logan
Head Coach

Niners are promoting Tomsula to HC, according to Schefter.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #421
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Niners are promoting Tomsula to HC, according to Schefter.

Also sounds like Fangio is going to leave and still doesn't address the offense...

EDIT: Reportedly they are going after Trestman for OC

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-14-2015 at 05:09 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #422
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The 49ers front office has earned quite a bit of trust for putting together the team they have for the last four years. This offseason, however, the coaching staff moves are head scratch worthy. If the 49ers don't have a very good season next year, many 49ers fans will be calling for the heads of the front office staff.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #423
Thomkal
Head Coach

Colts linebacker McNary charged with rape | NFL | Sporting News
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #424
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Odds that he plays in the AFC Championship game?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #425
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Odds that he plays in the AFC Championship game?

If the Players Union has anything to say about it, I'd say very likely
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 PM   #426
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nothing prevents the Colts from just making him inactive a la Trent Richardson.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #427
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
If the Players Union has anything to say about it, I'd say very likely

I'm guessing low. He's a backup. He played 262 snaps during the regular season. Colts don't need the distraction given that level of player.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #428
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

To be clear - I wasn't trying to say anything about the Colts organization, but more about what the Commissioner's response might be.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:12 PM   #429
Danny
Head Coach

Very happy with the del rio hire. Is he more than a decent head cosch? I don't know but he's easily the best one they've had since gruden. Hoping for mike smith as dc and trestman as oc.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #430
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I've seen more Del Rio pressers and interviews as a Jags fan, watching draft videos, game videos, and more, for years of my life. Let me tell you, I've always liked him. No matter what.

Welcome to a real coach! Him being in Oakland raises my feelings for the team considerably

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #431
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Lack of activity by the Saints is not a good sign. The team clearly had some locker room/attitude/maturity/leadership issues this season that caused them to underachieve. I was hoping for more than a couple position coaches being fired.

I didn't want the team to let go of Rob Ryan or Sean Payton. But I really wanted enough other coaches let go to bring in some new blood and shake up whatever complacency got into the players/coaches.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #432
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But wasn't the animosity between Payton and Ryan the source of leadership problems?
Old 01-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #433
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
But wasn't the animosity between Payton and Ryan the source of leadership problems?

This is just my opinion, but I do not think that the real problem was with Payton and Ryan. They butted heads on the sideline, but that tends to happen with a head coach and a coordinator of a bad unit.

I think that the real problem is that Payton brought in some assistant coaches with him when he came to the team (Vitt, Bill Johnson, some others I might be missing) that are clearly "his guys." And these guys are never held accountable for anything and seem to have a free pass to coach underachieving units year after year. They have survived every D-coordinator switch since Payton got there.

And, in my opinion, those guys should get the ax. As position coaches, their units underachieve. And firing them would send the "no one is safe" message to the team. And Payton is a very good coach, but clearly a set-in-his-ways coach. Bringing some new blood and new perspectives and new voices into the locker room and the coaches meetings can only be to the good.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #434
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks for your insight.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #435
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Cardale Jones to make NFL draft announcement at 3 p.m. | ProFootballTalk

Somebody is going to turn Jones into a fullback or tight end.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #436
stevew
Hall Of Famer

With the upside of Cam Newton type or even that of a Big Ben, he'll need a few years to mature. I could see him going in the 3rd or so.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #437
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
With the upside of Cam Newton type or even that of a Big Ben, he'll need a few years to mature. I could see him going in the 3rd or so.

I don't know? You only have him under contract for four years. Maybe he ends up as practice squad fodder. I think he'd be better off staying in school and developing more.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #438
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know? You only have him under contract for four years. Maybe he ends up as practice squad fodder. I think he'd be better off staying in school and developing more.

So he either transfers or potentially goes into a 3 way battle for the QB job? He has nothing to gain by returning. Although if he wanted to transfer OSU should have let him out for services rendered

Last edited by stevew : 01-15-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #439
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a major mistake to me but maybe he just doesn't want to play school?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #440
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
So he either transfers or potentially goes into a 3 way battle for the QB job? He has nothing to gain by returning. Although if he wanted to transfer OSU should have let him out for services rendered

If he doesn't think he's talented enough to win the job at Ohio State, what makes him think he's talented enough to stick on an NFL roster?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #441
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

WOW! That's a crazy add decision!

But maybe this means Braxton Miller decides to come back to Ohio State.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #442
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Any team taking him in the 3rd round would be insane.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #443
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If he doesn't think he's talented enough to win the job at Ohio State, what makes him think he's talented enough to stick on an NFL roster?

Is it that simple? College QBing and pro QBing are two totally different beasts. Maybe he hates school? ESPN guys have him as a day 3 type pick but I bet he can get someone to fall in love with him. We're talking about someone who potentially was never going to play at OSU cause the other two QBs did OSU type stuff better than he did. Not sure what he'd have to gain by playing next year at juco type place and potentially transferring somewhere else in 2016
Old 01-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #444
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm afraid he'll get exposed in workouts and then up up a day three pick. After a couple years of not playing he'll say or do something stupid and end up out of the league.

I hope it doesn't turn out like that, but that's my guess.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #445
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm afraid he'll get exposed in workouts and then up up a day three pick. After a couple years of not playing he'll say or do something stupid and end up out of the league.

I hope it doesn't turn out like that, but that's my guess.

He has the physical tools, there is no question. But how is he going to hold up under constant scrutiny by the media, meetings with NFL teams and the Wonderlic?

I could see a scenario where the guy goes undrafted.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #446
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not sure what he'd have to gain by playing next year at juco type place and potentially transferring somewhere else in 2016

Experience?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #447
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Maturity?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #448
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
He has the physical tools, there is no question. But how is he going to hold up under constant scrutiny by the media, meetings with NFL teams and the Wonderlic?

I could see a scenario where the guy goes undrafted.

I can't imagine he would go undrafted. This is a terrible year for QBs. After the top two - who have question marks of their own - there really isn't much at all.

Someone will draft him. I'd go so far as to guarantee it. Heck, I'd rather have Cardale Jones than poopy Dan Orlovsky. Then again, I can't stand Dan Orlovsky. He sucks the joy out of everything.

I really do hope than no one hires Teryl Austin to be their head coach. While, I would be happy for him, I would be sad and unhappy for me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #449
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I do hope Cardale Jones declares for the daft. I'll enjoy (to a point) the endless speculation, and I don't think OSU needs anymore super good QBs at the moment.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #450
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess he grew up super poor and has a kid. Maturity and experience are awesome but he could be the 3rd to 5th QB off the board if if he impresses in drills.