Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

NFL Week 3 Discussion Thread: Shocker - Vick to start Sunday

6:30 presser according to Comcast Sports twitter.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I heard on sportscenter that Kolb was gonna start - maybe he's not fully recovered.

Regardless - who do the Eagles play this coming week? Anybody that can kill Vick (I hope)?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Jaguars.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Travis
Pro Rookie

Seeing conflicting reports as to whether this is a full time move or just for this week. I get the sense that some were really trying to read more into Reid's announcement than was there. I'll be curious to catch it on tv later or at least read a transcript.

Given that I've got 3 friends who are all Eagle's fans I'm kind of surprised I haven't gotten a single email on this topic yet
Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Don't get many Seahawks games out this way. What's the deal with Aaron Curry? Guy was God's gift to football on draft day and I've barely heard his name since.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

This article makes it sound like "he's the starting QB" as opposed to "Kolb isn't ready yet."

Michael Vick named Philadelphia Eagles' starting QB - ESPN

I think probably both will play some the rest of the way though.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Don't get many Seahawks games out this way. What's the deal with Aaron Curry? Guy was God's gift to football on draft day and I've barely heard his name since.

He's played very well when Tatupu has been healthy. When Tatupu is out there he basically runs the defense and usually is able to make sure the rest of the guys know where to be and what to be doing.

When Tatupu was out last year, David Hawthorne stepped in and played really well in his place. The only downside was that his ability to direct the defense wasn't nearly on par with that of Tatupu. With all the injuries last year it seemed like Curry tried to shoulder a lot of the load and was exploited numerous times just trying to do too much.

That and to be very honest, the previous coaching group really mishandled a lot of our defensive players, trying to mold them into roles they thought they should play rather than really trying to emphasize their strengths (ie: had Curry playing a lot of coverage rather than attacking the line). It's obviously quite early so far this season but Curry has been looking better with his responsibilities so far so hopefully he's on the cusp of really breaking out.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Good to hear. Seems like a guy who is easy to root for.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This article makes it sound like "he's the starting QB" as opposed to "Kolb isn't ready yet."

Yeah. Mort is saying it is a permanent football move. Interesting turn of events for sure.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

In other news, Norwood (Falcons) tore his ACL and he is out for the year (ie. career. He is toast). Why the Birds didn't pick up a back somewhere before this season, I have no idea. Norwood has always been a disappointment. He would show flashes, and then break down
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I think Vick deserves it. After all, he's a good guy. I mean, it's not like he takes a loaded gun into a nightclub or anything.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
He's played very well when Tatupu has been healthy. When Tatupu is out there he basically runs the defense and usually is able to make sure the rest of the guys know where to be and what to be doing.

When Tatupu was out last year, David Hawthorne stepped in and played really well in his place. The only downside was that his ability to direct the defense wasn't nearly on par with that of Tatupu. With all the injuries last year it seemed like Curry tried to shoulder a lot of the load and was exploited numerous times just trying to do too much.

That and to be very honest, the previous coaching group really mishandled a lot of our defensive players, trying to mold them into roles they thought they should play rather than really trying to emphasize their strengths (ie: had Curry playing a lot of coverage rather than attacking the line). It's obviously quite early so far this season but Curry has been looking better with his responsibilities so far so hopefully he's on the cusp of really breaking out.

Hate to disagree completely with your take Travis, but I do. Curry has been a huge disappointment. He has zero awareness, is totally lost in space and hasn't made a solo open-field tackle since about week 4 last season. True, losing Tatupu was huge and slowed the growth of Curry but it appears to me, and many others on Seattle blogs, that Curry will never become a playmaker. Look at the way the new staff is using him. They are basically lining him up over the TE just to set the edge against the run. He is decent at this considering his size and strength. Great, I guess, but you can pretty much find a guy to fill that role off the street. Also, he has shown little to no ability to rush the passer coming off the edge. He has already been called for offsides 4 times this season and IMO is just not smart enough or instinctive enough to be a difference maker in the NFL.

Traditionally, a LB'er will make an impact from day 1 if he has "it", especially a guy taken in the top 5. Look at Cushing and Clay Matthews, for example. Watch tape of Cushing and watch tape of Curry and it is mind blowing how much better an OLB Cushing is in every conceivable way. Obviously I'm hoping, shit, praying, that Curry will become worthy of the 4th pick but it's not looking good.

I guess the bright side is that Seattle was not the only team to miss on him. He was a consensus top 10 pick.

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 09-21-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

There were rumors he was going #1 overall.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wish I would have gotten Vick banned from our fantasy league. Goddell might be soft but we didn't have to be. Eagles and Bills need to work out a Kolb for Lynch/Jackson plus a pick trade. Kolb is done in Philly.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fuck Andy Reid too. No wonder he has derelict children.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

With the Eagles crappy OLine...Vick is the only way they have a legit chance to win.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Pretty sure he was willing to take a very low price (for a #1, would still be more than he made at his slot).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
With the Eagles crappy OLine...Vick is the only way they have a legit chance to win.

Kinda similar situation as when Vick was in Atlanta... a drop back passer gets killed with the OLine the Falcons had in those days.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

This is very true. If the majority of Detroit Lions' fans had their way that draft day, he would have been taken over Stafford.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As for the Vick thing. He looked great against the Lions. But, then again, every QB looks great against the Lions. From what I heard, however, he also looked pretty good against Green Bay.

Speaking of QBs that look great against the Lions. The Lions have never beaten Favre when Favre was playing at home. They haven't won in Minneapolis since 1997.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #22
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Vick's success against GB was chocked up to him playing the 2nd half against a tired D that couldn't contain his running ability. But that was before the Vick hype machine started up, so I'm sure people are revising their opinions of what they saw.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #23
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

So, Philadelphia Daily News declares Vick 'Top Dog' on their sports page.

Stay classy.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow

horrible headline...
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #25
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Awesome
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #26
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Big game for the Falcons. Playing the Saints in New Orleans after the Saints have a short week and lose Bush. And the Falcons seemed to find their mojo last week.

If Atlanta is as good as their preseason hype, this is the kind of road game that they should win. It won't be easy. But the really good teams are supposed to win, even when it is not easy.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Vick's success against GB was chocked up to him playing the 2nd half against a tired D that couldn't contain his running ability. But that was before the Vick hype machine started up, so I'm sure people are revising their opinions of what they saw.

Who "chocked up" his game in that way? People in the PHI organization who were finding excuses as to why Kolb was ineffective but Vick wasn't?

Luckily for Vick, he'll continue to play against defenses in the 2nd half that get tired and can't contain his rushing ability.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #28
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Vick is absolutely the right start for the Eagles. Their OL is just brutal. Lions still had 5 or 6 sacks vs Vick but honestly should have had a half dozen more. Kolb has shown in his brief time he struggles with the rush and would honestly he would have been sacked ten + times on Sunday.

Should be noted that PFT is reporting the Browns inquired on Kolb last night. Obviously he isn't going anywhere but I wonder what the Eagles do in the offseason.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #29
cuervo72
Head Coach

chalk up - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #30
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

This is simply not correct. Vick was crisp as a kitten throwing the ball from the time Kolb went out.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Browns need to get in on Kolb.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #32
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i think the reality was the pack gameplanned for kolb and lost-a-step-vick and got neither.

vick looks sharp. i'd start him over 90% of the qb's in the league. that said, i think the trade kolb talk is crazy unless it's being initiated by kolb.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #33
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
So, Philadelphia Daily News declares Vick 'Top Dog' on their sports page.

Stay classy.

I wonder if it's kind of tongue-in-cheek. Just a friendly little reminder that Vick, you know, thinks its awesome to hang dogs from the ceiling and electrocute them, and drown them. I think that's been lost a bit in the Vick-mania of the last few weeks. Let's not completely forget the monster this guy is just because he gets to run around with a ball again.

Last edited by molson : 09-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #34
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. One should never forget what a POS he is off the field.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Apparently we live in a world where, even if people remember, they simply are too low down to care ... as long as he's got a decent passer rating.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #36
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

But he's so fun to watch!
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #37
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
i'd start him over 90% of the qb's in the league.

This can't be a serious statement. You'd start him over all but 3, maybe 4 QB's? You're out of your mind. The guy was mediocre at best in his prime, which has long since passed. The best QB rating he has ever posted was 81.6, which is .1 better than Alex Smith posted last year. He has thrown 71 passes since 2006. Moses Moreno threw more passes than that in a 3 year span. C'mon man, get a grip.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 09-22-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Apparently we live in a world where, even if people remember, they simply are too low down to care ... as long as he's got a decent passer rating.

Welcome to the life of the famous. Entertain us and all is forgiven. Now, if Vick could just play against the Lions defense every week.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

Are you not entertained!? Is this not why you are here!?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
But he's so fun to watch!

The only "fun" thing I can imagine watching Vick do is dying in a slow & excruciating fashion.

Otherwise, I'd prefer to forget he exists.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #41
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

"Vick said he feels 10 times better than he did 4 years ago. You know who doesn't feel 10 times better then they did four yeas ago? Those dogs he killed." - guest host on the Jim Rome show. I probably paraphrased some of it, but it cracked me up.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #42
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently Vincent Jackson is going to the Skins.

I haven't seen a link but saw some twitter posts saying it's a Yahoo story.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #43
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, I guess the radio station breaking this story is owned by Dan Snyder.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #44
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...nt-jackso.html
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

cue I would certainly start him over Eli Manning comment...
Old 09-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #46
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- Vick is a piece of shit, and while I respect his right to earn a living and play in the NFL I would like nothing more than to see him concussed repeatedly until he doesn't know his own name.

that or just take a big hit and die on the field.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #47
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Vick is better off putting on 30 lbs and playing HB. If he did that, I'd have no qualms with starting him over, say, Brandon Jacobs.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Chances are, if you wear #7 and are a professional QB in PA, I fucking hate you and hope you get crushed on the field.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Vick is better off putting on 30 lbs and playing HB. If he did that, I'd have no qualms with starting him over, say, Brandon Jacobs.

well played
Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wonder if it's kind of tongue-in-cheek. Just a friendly little reminder that Vick, you know, thinks its awesome to hang dogs from the ceiling and electrocute them, and drown them. I think that's been lost a bit in the Vick-mania of the last few weeks. Let's not completely forget the monster this guy is just because he gets to run around with a ball again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The only "fun" thing I can imagine watching Vick do is dying in a slow & excruciating fashion.

Otherwise, I'd prefer to forget he exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
"Vick said he feels 10 times better than he did 4 years ago. You know who doesn't feel 10 times better then they did four yeas ago? Those dogs he killed." - guest host on the Jim Rome show. I probably paraphrased some of it, but it cracked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dola- Vick is a piece of shit, and while I respect his right to earn a living and play in the NFL I would like nothing more than to see him concussed repeatedly until he doesn't know his own name.

that or just take a big hit and die on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Chances are, if you wear #7 and are a professional QB in PA, I fucking hate you and hope you get crushed on the field.

Agreed with all these statements.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote