Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Two 12-team conferences with 6 humans in each conference 10 100.00%
A single 12-team conference with everyone in it 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

RFL II: Two conferences or one?

Figured I'd let people vote before trying to come up with conference alignments. If we go with 2 conferences, I plan for both to be 12-team conferences so we can have conference championship battles.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-15-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm very split on this. No strong opinion either way as I see the benefits of both options.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

So I'm trying to take a crack at alignments, and it's a pain in the butt. Trying to make any geographic sense is difficult. I decided to try to aim for balanced divisions, but am not all that happy with my results so far. The numbers next to each team is what Athlon Sports ranks them (just happens to be what I have the easiest access to). I started with the Big Ten and Big 12, since that is where most of our teams are concentrated. The Big 10 North division bothers me because there are no bottom feeders and no true elite teams. Just a bunch of average or above average teams. Indiana and N.C. State in the same division tends to skew things in the South, but neither makes sense in the "North" division geographically.

I am open to any suggestions / input.

The first set of alignments reflects real life (or real life with N.C. State thrown in the Big Ten and then imaginary divisions). The alignments to the right are where I tried to get them close to having the same average rank (shown at the bottom of each column).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alignments.jpg (72.5 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Kodos : 06-29-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was thinking about this some more, and maybe a more organic way to do the conferences is to have each human team bring in its main rival to its division. So Indiana would bring Purdue, Penn State might bring Pitt, Ohio State would have Michigan, Iowa would have Nebraska, etc. N.C. State could bring whoever their main rival is. I'm not up on every teams biggest rival, so you guys would have to point me in the right direction.

This way, we could keep a bit of tradition in place, even though we are significantly changing the college football landscape. And we'd be putting the Rivals into the Rivals Football League.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-29-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here is a preliminary shot at alignments for the MAC and C-USA:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp alignments.bmp (236.0 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Kodos : 06-29-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

It might make more sense to sub in Nebraska for either Kansas or Minnesota in these alignments.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really like the idea of bringing along rivals. Smashing UCLA is always a good thing.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I'm a lot happier with my new alignments than the ones from last night. They may not be perfect, but they are definitely better.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here's a new alignment that allows N.C. State to bring in two rivals to the MAC, to put it on more even footing with the Big Ten teams in terms of rivalry games.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp alignment2.bmp (265.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Wow very nice, you did a lot of work here.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

It seems like there is resistance to a wholesale restructuring of the conferences, so here is my attempt to make as few changes as possible to the real college football landscape, while allowing each team to have one of its top rivals in its conference or division. In this scenario, we set aside my goal of having both conferences have a conference championship game in favor of not changing the real-life alignments as much. BigDPW said he is willing to choose a different team than N.C. State if it helps the 2 conference idea, so I didn't move N.C. State to the Big Ten in this scenario. If he wants, I can swap N.C. State and UNC with Illinois and Minnesota, or something like that. Let me know what you think. Just trying to come up with something that everyone can enjoy, since we have some differing opinions on what the ideal setup is.

The changes I made are:
- Nebraska and Missouri replace Oklahoma State and Baylor in Big 12 South; Oklahoma State takes Florida State's spot, Baylor takes Florida's spot
- Florida takes Nebraska's spot; Florida State takes Missouri's spot
- USC and Colorado swap
- UCLA and Kansas State swap
- Washington State and Iowa State swap
- Washingon and Kansas swap
- Notre Dame and Northwestern swap

In the screenshot, bold teams are human owned, red teams are ones that moved out of a division, and blue teams are teams that moved in to a new division.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp alignment3.bmp (950.5 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Kodos : 06-30-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I like this latest proposal a lot, keeps some real life aspect to it and if I win my conference I go to Rose Bowl like a Big Ten team should. If you found a way to get Nebraska to Big Ten it would be even better but I'm ok either way.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Do people think the proposed new Big 12 has too many strong teams? I'd certainly be open to moving Nebraska to the Big Ten (in fact, that is how I originally had it). That might send a team like Illinois to the PAC-10 though.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-01-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Do people think the proposed new Big 12 has too many strong teams? I'd certainly be open to moving Nebraska to the Big Ten (in fact, that is how I originally had it). That might send a team like Illinois to the PAC-10 though.

I'm assuming you accidentally left Michigan out of Big 10?

What if you put Nebraska in and kicked Notre Dame back out. Left Kansas in the Big 12 and put Utah in the Pac-10?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I just left out Michigan by accident. We can do something like you're suggesting with Kansas and Utah too. Have to figure out what to do with Northwestern as well.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here it is with Balldog's tweaks:

- Missouri and Kansas replace Okla. State and Baylor in Big 12 South; Okla. State takes Florida State's spot in ACC, Baylor takes Florida's spot in SEC
- Florida takes Nebraska's spot in Big 12; Florida State takes Missouri's spot in Big 12
- USC and Colorado swap
- Washingon to Big 12; Utah takes their spot in PAC-10
- Nebraska takes Northwestern's spot in Big 10
- Northwestern to Mountain West Conf in Utah's slot?
- Illinois goes independent; Notre Dame takes their slot in Big 10 (Notre Dame makes a stronger and more interesting opponent for humans than Illinois - plus I enjoy screwing Illinois.)
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Alignment4.bmp (990.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Kodos : 07-01-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Looks good to me.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:

- Missouri and Kansas replace Okla. State and Baylor in Big 12 South; Okla. State takes Florida State's spot in ACC, Baylor takes Florida's spot in SEC
- Florida takes Nebraska's spot in Big 12; Florida State takes Missouri's spot in Big 12
- USC and Colorado swap
- Illinois goes independent; Notre Dame takes their slot in Big 10 (Notre Dame makes a stronger and more interesting opponent for humans than Illinois - plus I enjoy screwing Illinois.)

I am still trying to feel out if I will have time to play in the league. I am hoping that the online recruiting stuff will help me out.

I like the new alignments and would not change anything to get me NCSU. I would just take one of the unclaimed Big10 teams. Probably down to ND, NEB, or MICH...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds good.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sorry, I haven't been checking this forum at all. Yeah, I like the realignment proposal. Looks great!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

Welcome to Google Docs

Spreadsheet that supposedly has all the prestige ratings and ratings for OVR, OFF, and DEF.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-09-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Keep forgetting to check this thread but I don't even care. Whatever the group says I am down for.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cool. You are Western Kentucky!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Cool. You are Western Kentucky!

Would I still have to schedule IU? Trying to avoid Cupcakes.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

But cupcakes are so tasty!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

- USC and Colorado swap

I made some audibles on alignments, trying to have fewer teams that obviously didn't fit geographically or otherwise with the other schools in their confernce:

- IU and Northwestern were moved to the Big East; West Virginia moved to the SEC, USF to the ACC. Oklahoma State moved to the PAC 10
- I decided having the armed forces as Independents made sense, so the Independents are Air Force, Army, and Navy.
- Western Kentucky and Temple are in the MAC, Iowa State in the MWC, Baylor is in the Sun Belt.

There's no perfect set of alignments, but I think this is good enough.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-09-2010 at 01:23 PM.