Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2006, 02:29 PM   #101
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
Now I know why I like Bubba so much.. he reminds me of Larry the Cableguy!

I'm just waiting for him to tell us that Jesus came to America on the Mayflower..

Well, stand by for a little shock. The word 'Mayflower" was derived from the Biblical phrase "Lillie of the Field', a description of Christ. So the name Mayflower was meant to mean Jesus. Thanks for bringing that up.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #102
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman
I have found over the years in reading Bubba that it is best to think of him as not real, rather one of those emotion faces, maybe angry-isolated face.

On second thought, Bubba should change his name to Joshua, as in the emotionless, stubborn and destructive computer in War Games.

Yeah, you got me there. I must be both to keep posting in this forum. Keep getting too much fun out of the responses, though. Most of which are out of the 'mainstream', and probably do look like this when writing...

I also get a 'kick' out of seeing how many pages I can get a thread I start to go for. Think one of them actually has the record.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 08-31-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #103
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Well, stand by for a little shock. The word 'Mayflower" was derived from the Biblical phrase "Lillie of the Field', a description of Christ. So the name Mayflower was meant to mean Jesus. Thanks for bringing that up.

And the fact that the people on board were Puritans, a Christian Calvanist sect, had absolutely nothing to do with that.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #104
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
And the fact that the people on board were Puritans, a Christian Calvanist sect, had absolutely nothing to do with that.

Duh, think probably it did. The response was to someone not understanding the fact that it actually was faith in Christ and the desire to worship Him freely that was the motivating reason for the Puritans aboard the Mayflower to come here in the first place.

See, public schools have sanitized the whole thing, including Thanksgiving, to something today like..." England was overpopulated so settlers came over here and then had a big party to thank the Indians for teaching them to grow corn." Or some similar-type variable.

Can't really blame the guy for his ignorance given the brainwashing his public education probably did on him, though.

Checked the poster's name: Coder...claims to be in Sweden. That would explain much. Europe turned its back on Christ long ago, now its paying for it by becoming Muslim.

See, Christ offers grace. But those who reject that grace will suffer consequences. I believe that Sharia is often that consequence, and no place is becoming Muslim faster than Godless Europe.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 08-31-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #105
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Somthing about the way Bubba is talking and what he is saying sounds conspicuously like Katherine Harris...

Isn't Katherine the woman who screwed up the 2000 election in Florida, full of fake breasts, and is pretty dishonerable?

This a serious question.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-31-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #106
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think FOFC should write it's own bible
Old 08-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #107
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

See, public schools have sanitized the whole thing, including Thanksgiving, to something today like..." England was overpopulated so settlers came over here and then had a big party to thank the Indians for teaching them to grow corn." Or some similar-type variable.

Hmm let's see here. I've gone to and been in public schools my entire life and overpopulation never came up as a reason. It's always been taught that religious freedom was the primary motivation for the Puritans to move to America (although they in turn didn't extend that right so much to others)

Frankly, without the Native Americans/Amerindians (whichever term you want to use. Indians live over in India), the Puritans wouldn't have survived. They'd have died out like Ronoake (sp) did.

Quote:
Checked the poster's name: Coder...claims to be in Sweden. That would explain much. Europe turned its back on Christ long ago, now its paying for it by becoming Muslim.

See, Christ offers grace. But those who reject that grace will suffer consequences. I believe that Sharia is often that consequence, and no place is becoming Muslim faster than Godless Europe.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and that includes the United States.

Europe? Godless? That's pretty amusing considering your own religion of Christianity is still the dominant religion in most countries of the region.

Last edited by Izulde : 08-31-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:49 PM   #108
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Isn't Katherine the woman who screwed up the 2000 election in Florida, full of fake breasts, and is pretty dishonerable?

This a serious question.

That is what the outraged, red-faced liberals would say. Conservatives understand Harris just did her job according to the State of Florida's own constitution.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #109
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So this means that Jesus was standing on board the Mayflower? Man, I'm sure they all just must have missed him while he was swabbing the deck or something.

Quote:

BULLSHIT! Prove it. No book claims the Puritans came over because of overcrowding . Yet another feeble attempt to claim that American education is somehow anti-Christian.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #110
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Hmm let's see here. I've gone to and been in public schools my entire life and overpopulation never came up as a reason. It's always been taught that religious freedom was the primary motivation for the Puritans to move to America (although they in turn didn't extend that right so much to others)

Frankly, without the Native Americans/Amerindians (whichever term you want to use. Indians live over in India), the Puritans wouldn't have survived. They'd have died out like Ronoake (sp) did.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and that includes the United States.

Europe? Godless? That's pretty amusing considering your own religion of Christianity is still the dominant religion in most countries of the region.

Wait...you yourself think that Thanksgiving is about thanking the Indians? Seriously???
Old 08-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #111
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Nice to see the tolerance that Christianity is suppose to share is being practiced. Your like a male version of Ann Coulter.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #112
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Wait...you yourself think that Thanksgiving is about thanking the Indians? Seriously???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksg...f_Thanksgiving

I'm sure you'll say this is wrong, but whatever. I read this as both - a religious thing and inviting the Indians in recognition that they'd be dead without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #113
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
How many others here think that Thanksgiving was about thanking the Indians? I am seriously interested in your answers here.

As I said, it was in part to thank the Indians - that's why they were at the feast in the first place.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #114
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

How many others here think that Thanksgiving was about thanking the Indians? I am seriously interested in your answers here.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #115
wade moore
lolzcat

aw crap, timestamp bug.

Quote:
Old 08-31-2006, 02:55 PM   #116
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Nice to see the tolerance that Christianity is suppose to share is being practiced. Your like a male version of Ann Coulter.

Like someone else so apptly pointed out in a previous thread, your types (those always preaching tolerance) really mean 'acceptance.'

And interestingly enough, thats the book I'm reading right now. Highly recommend it. Ann Coulter's Godless.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 08-31-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #117
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Bubba Wheels = Noddadropp
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #118
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

No, because what's traditionally thought of as the first thanksgiving was nothing more than the annual harvest celebration common to England at the time.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:58 PM   #119
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
No, because what's traditionally thought of as the first thanksgiving was nothing more than the annual harvest celebration common to England at the time.

Is that the reason you think/were taught that the Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving in this country (the U.S.)???

Seriously, I think that you really were taught that and now your stunned to learn that Thanksgiving was about the Pilgrims thanking God for their survival.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 08-31-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #120
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Bubba Wheels = Noddadropp

I have never posted under an alias or other name. But those like yourself that always suspect it may do so because of your own past experiences?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:03 PM   #121
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Like someone else so apptly pointed out in a previous thread, your types (those always preaching tolerance) really mean 'acceptance.'

And interestingly enough, thats the book I'm reading right now. Highly recommend it. Ann Coulter's Godless.

My types? So you don't accept other people? Not sure what you mean.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-31-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #122
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
My types? So you don't accept other people? Not sure what you mean.

Liberals
Old 08-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #123
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Is that the reason you think/were taught that the Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving in this country (the U.S.)???

Seriously, I think that you really were taught that and now your stunned to learn that Thanksgiving was about the Pilgrims thanking God for their survival.

As I said, it was both (which you seem to be ignoring my statement)...

Yes, they of course were thanking God.. but they invited the Indians to the feast to also thank them because without them (or without God sending the Indians to them if they wanted to look at it that way) they would not have survived. There is no one or the other here, it was a combination of the two.

Quote:
Old 08-31-2006, 03:08 PM   #124
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't even know quite what you're trying to get at here.

When I was in elementary school, I was taught that the first Thanksgiving was at Plymouth, a joint celebration between the Puritans and the native tribe who'd helped them to survive the winter, etc.

But the teaching of history, like every other field, changes as new and more accurate information comes to light. Hence I now think (because Wiki's historical articles are usually exceptionally accurate and fair in their treatment of subjects) the first "Thanksgiving" was merely a continuation of a cultural tradition in England, a harvest celebration that dates back to, I would suspect, the original towns of mankind all those eons ago.

That's not to say the popular misconception of that festival as the first Thanksgiving is totally without merit though.

For in that story, you have two vastly different cultural and religious groups sitting down together and celebrating. There's tolerance and acceptance on both sides for their respective viewpoints in that tale.

Something many people today sorely lack, I might add.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #125
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Liberals

I'm no democrat.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #126
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
But the teaching of history, like every other field, changes as new and more accurate information comes to light. Hence I now think (because Wiki's historical articles are usually exceptionally accurate and fair in their treatment of subjects) the first "Thanksgiving" was merely a continuation of a cultural tradition in England, a harvest celebration that dates back to, I would suspect, the original towns of mankind all those eons ago.

FWIW, I would imagine that in England the Harvest Feast could very likely have been a Feast in thanks to God. I do not know if this is the case, but it seems like a logical thought.

Not trying to support Bubba's attempt to bait people here, i'm just sayin'.

Quote:
Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #127
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Bubba, you're the big fat* ignorant gift that just keeps giving.

*Okay, you may not be fat, but it's the internet and I can envision you however I like.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:18 PM   #128
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

As an merry Englander, schools here still celebrate Harvest Festival every year (although now it is more a food drive to provide for old people's homes and shelters and so on), most have some kind of observance at the local church. Yes, it does have some Christian connotations to it, although not as much as it used to of course. But anyway, if you're searching for the true origins, it's simply a continuation of the pagan festivals that were hijacked by the church around 300-400 AD, just like Christmas was.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:22 PM   #129
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
Bubba, you're the big fat* ignorant gift that just keeps giving.

*Okay, you may not be fat, but it's the internet and I can envision you however I like.

Well, Mr. Tanglewood, please enlighten the class on where I am wrong. You use the word ignorant, feel free to tell me in what area. I'm pretty sure your not just the usual run-of-the-mill Liberal engaging in personal attacks because you have found yourself bereft of thought on the subject.

I welcome your wisdom and await your keen, intellectual insights with baited-breath! Oh, sorry Mr. Moore, should'nt have used the word 'baited', right sir?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #130
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
As an merry Englander, schools here still celebrate Harvest Festival every year (although now it is more a food drive to provide for old people's homes and shelters and so on), most have some kind of observance at the local church. Yes, it does have some Christian connotations to it, although not as much as it used to of course. But anyway, if you're searching for the true origins, it's simply a continuation of the pagan festivals that were hijacked by the church around 300-400 AD, just like Christmas was.

That is all pretty well known. But you jump your track like most when you attempt to say that a pretty devout group such as the Pilgrims would have any other priority first in a Thanksgiving event other than God Almighty.

And I also suspect that if I took the time to research your pagan rituals I would find some pretty significant differences between what you claim is a valid source for Thanksgiving and the one that the Pilgrims actually did practice/celebrate.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #131
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
And I also suspect that if I took the time to research

You might actually be on to something here. Now if you'd only follow through...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #132
Drake
assmaster

In the interest of fairness, my U.S. History teacher in high school spent a couple of days explaining to us that the settlement of the U.S. (including the Pilgrims/Puritans) was actually about economic freedom and the religious motivation was "largely" a myth. And that was almost 20 years ago.

The quest for economic freedom and individual wealth was certainly responsible for much of the early colonization efforts, but I still find the fact that my teacher glossed over the religious elements in such a cavalier fashion pretty flabbergasting.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #133
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Liberals
"Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things – every one. So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor."
Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 PM   #134
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
You might actually be on to something here. Now if you'd only follow through...

Sorry, pagan rituals ain't my thing. But I am sure some googling might shed light on whether there were, in fact, even any so-called 'harvest rituals' at all in the first place. I think what our English participant may be actually refering to is Holloween.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 08-31-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #135
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Sorry, pagan rituals ain't my thing. But I am sure some googling might shed light on whether there were, in fact, even any so-called 'harvest rituals' at all in the first place. I think what our English participant may be actually refering to is Holloween.

Sometimes even the horse might stumble upon the water itself, but you still can't make it drink.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #136
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
"Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things – every one. So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor."

Damn straight.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #137
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:

Today's conservatives are yesterday's classical liberals...not the Marxist/socialist ones of today. Don't confuse today's socialists with yesterday's champions of individual and civil rights. Today's socialists are into group rights.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 08-31-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 PM   #138
duckman
Pro Starter

Somebody, anybody, please ban this asshole.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #139
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman

He's kind of funny, actually.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #140
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
FWIW, I would imagine that in England the Harvest Feast could very likely have been a Feast in thanks to God. I do not know if this is the case, but it seems like a logical thought.

Not trying to support Bubba's attempt to bait people here, i'm just sayin'.

That I could see, but as tanglewood points out, it originally goes back to the harvest festivals of ancient religions, which were in turn tied to the cycles of nature and the seasons.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:36 PM   #141
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:

Gee, then we can all go out and roast marshmellows while we burn Ann Coulter's book.

Yes, ban me today and ten more will rise up in my place!

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 08-31-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:38 PM   #142
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

I DO! I also think people should post POL in the title of their political threads. Or maybe we can just change that to NAFTA, and you would have already done you job.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:38 PM   #143
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gee, then we can all go out and roast marshmellows while we burn Ann Coulter's book.

Again, somebody ban this asshole/troll.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
Old 08-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #144
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
That I could see, but as tanglewood points out, it originally goes back to the harvest festivals of ancient religions, which were in turn tied to the cycles of nature and the seasons.

I put claims like this on the same level as I do the Christian claim that Halloween is evil because it was originally samhain.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #145
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
See, Christ offers grace.

Job Interviewer: Not many people have grace.
Elaine: Well, you know, grace is a tough one. I like to think I have a little grace. Not as much as Jackie O...
Interviewer: You can't have a little grace. You either have grace or you don't.
Elaine: Okay, fine. I have no grace.
Interviewer: And you can't acquire grace.
Elaine: Well, I have no intention of getting grace.
Interviewer: Grace isn't something you can pick up at the market.
Elaine: All right, all right, look, I don't have grace, I don't want grace, I don't even say grace, okay?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #146
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, ban me today and ten more will rise up in my place!
w00t! I'll take that chance. Mods? Admins? Please?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:43 PM   #147
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
w00t! I'll take that chance. Mods? Admins? Please?

Hey, take a poll why don't ya? Really set a poll up: Should Bubba Be Banned?

I'll vote!

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 08-31-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #148
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey, take a poll why don't ya? Really set a poll up: Should Bubba Be Banned?

How about you do it since you like attention whoring so much?
Quote:
Old 08-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #149
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Today's conservatives are yesterday's classical liberals...not the Marxist/socialist ones of today. Don't confuse today's socialists with yesterday's champions of individual and civil rights. Today's socialists are into group rights.

Wait, if today's conservatives are yesterday's classical liberals, then doesn't this make you a liberal?

And you're the one who's confused by what makes up a liberal today by casting everyone who disagrees with you in that role. Not all liberals are socialists, just like not every conservative is a fascist.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:49 PM   #150
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
How about you do it since you like attention whoring so much?

How are you able to see me with your ignore button on?