Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #4351
molson
General Manager

How about Harris is in a plexiglass booth by herself, and Pence is in a plexiglass booth with 8 prominent Republicans who are currently COVID-positive so he can prove how brave he is, and that precautions are stupid and gay.

Last edited by molson : 10-06-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #4352
Radii
Head Coach

There's an article on CNN about this currently, but I'd rather just link straight to the source. Georgetown Law put together

Quote:
fact sheets for all 50 states explaining the laws barring unauthorized private militia groups and what to do if groups of armed individuals are near a polling place or voter registration drive.

This seems like a good thing to know about in advance and to make as many people aware of as possible.

State Fact Sheets | Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection | Georgetown Law
Old 10-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #4353
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
How about Harris is in a plexiglass booth by herself, and Pence is in a plexiglass booth with 8 prominent Republicans who are currently COVID-positive so he can prove how brave he is, and that precautions are stupid and gay.
Make it so.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #4354
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I live in Guilford County. It leans fairly heavily Dem—59-39 HRC in 2016, and the mayor of Greensboro is a Dem who won her last reelection 67-32. It stands to reason that there are more left than right leaning people making the calls on the ballots here, so it would seem odd that they’d be rejecting black ballots more frequently than in the rural areas of NC. Unfortunately, I wonder if there’s another explanation. Having lived in three other midsize or larger cities, an impression that I have of this area is that it seems to have the lowest percentage of educated blacks of anywhere I’ve ever lived. I don’t have numbers to back that up, so take it with a grain of salt, but it certainly has been that way I. My personal interactions. There are definitely far fewer blacks in the suburbs here than in Charleston, Atlanta, and even Columbus. My first guess, having lived here for 6 years, would be that the less educated voters are making more mistakes on their mail-in ballots, this causing more to be rejected. I’d think that would be true anywhere, but as I said, it feels like this area’s undereducated population skews more heavily black than most places.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #4355
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/10...-poll-reveals/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #4356
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess his supporters like Presidents who don't get sick

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 10-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #4357
Jas_lov
College Starter

The rats are starting to jump ship. Soon they'll be saying they never liked Trump.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #4358
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The rats are starting to jump ship. Soon they'll be saying they never liked Trump.

A few years from now, the GOP is going to try and pretend this 4 years never happened. Oh, they'll love all the crazies on the federal bench and the tax cuts for the rich that led to huge deficits so they can try to enact austerity. But all the stuff where Trump said the quiet part loud - they'll be doing a balancing act for the next decade where they have to find the right distance to be close to Trumpism in the primary but away from Trumpism in the general election. After all, he's just the logical conclusion of GOP policies for the last few decades. Only now there's a person attached to them that is going to be viewed as a failure to most but a god to others.

SI

Old 10-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #4359
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Where does Pence go from here assuming Trump loses? I wonder if the last 4 years were worth political suicide.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #4360
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Where does Pence go from here assuming Trump loses? I wonder if the last 4 years were worth political suicide.

Was Pence ever really seriously a national contender? He was the religious counterweight to help people hold their nose and vote for the clearly godless Trump in 2016. He seems more like Trump's standard MO of "pick someone clearly unqualified for the job so that they owe you their allegiance". Without Trump, Pence was never going to be on the national stage, but with this unholy alliance, he can be God's messenger (of hate) on a grand scale or whatever he has deluded himself into thinking he is.

It reminds me of some of the villains in The Stand. It made sense why Lloyd would stand by him through everything - he owed Randall Flagg his life. Trashcan Man was special because of The Walking Man.

Is it national political suicide if there was never anything to kill?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-06-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #4361
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Mother and him can co operator a bed n breakfast on Shima , Alaska with Sarah Palin.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #4362
Drake
assmaster

Quote:

As a citizen of Indiana, I can guarantee you that he has better then even odds of being our next senator (if that's something he wanted to do).

Indiana is probably to the right of Trump on most issues, but we try not to discriminate so much that a guy with a bit of a liberal streak in him doesn't get a fair hearing.

That's one of the reasons Hoosier Hospitality is famous around the world.

Last edited by Drake : 10-06-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #4363
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
That's one of the reasons Hoosier Hospitality is famous around the world.

I'm not sure if this is intended as sarcasm as not... because I've never heard of Hoosier Hospitality. I've heard of Southern Hospitality and Midwestern Nice, but never the Hoosier version.

As for Pence, I'm sure he could get a primetime slot on Trump TV.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #4364
Drake
assmaster

It's famous in our own minds.

(At the risk of going overboard on the sarcasm and political griping aside, Indiana really is a decent place to live with plenty of friendly, neighborly people.)

Last edited by Drake : 10-06-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #4365
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I do know y'all like basketball. And Indiana Nazis... basically things from movies (and Larry Bird & Bobby Knight).
Old 10-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #4366
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Write a book.
Host a cable news show.
Run a foundation dedicated to protecting religious liberty.

Some combination of those things.

I think he's managed to maintain enough separation from Trump that he won't be persona non grata in polite company. But he also carried water for Trump, so he'll always have the support of that base, too.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 10-06-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #4367
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, this was a man elevated above his political station so he gets to coast through the rest of his life having been VP (for a disastrous regime that he kindof kept at arm's length from - and many will to pretend those things aren't at terrible odds with each other).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-06-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #4368
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
It's famous in our own minds.

(At the risk of going overboard on the sarcasm and political griping aside, Indiana really is a decent place to live with plenty of friendly, neighborly people.)

Certainly in Bloomington. Great town!
Old 10-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #4369
Swaggs
Coordinator

I read a year or two ago that Pence, outside of government pensions he can get when he retires, is worth very little and owes a ton of money in student loans for his kids. He will probably cash out by writing a book, giving six-figure talks, and then serve on some boards (pretty much what Biden did).

He may explore a presidential run, but unless Trump rebounds in the next month, I doubt the GOP is going to want to revisit Trumperism. And, if they do, there are more charismatic, younger, better options for that (Cotton from Arkansas and Hawley from Missouri have been mentioned).
Old 10-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #4370
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

I hear there's an opening at Liberty University...
Old 10-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #4371
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I hear there's an opening at Liberty University...

That's actually a really solid idea for him, and it's not like Indiana doesn't have recent precedents of former governors becoming university presidents.

Dang, T. Have you ever thought about becoming a career advisor?
Old 10-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #4372
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
That's actually a really solid idea for him, and it's not like Indiana doesn't have recent precedents of former governors becoming university presidents.

Dang, T. Have you ever thought about becoming a career advisor?

Sadly only good for advising evangelical homophobes where to go
Old 10-07-2020, 02:35 AM   #4373
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Because A) it reminds folks on Trump's disastrously putrid response to COVID-19, but also B) Reminding folks that Trump actually HAS COVID-19 and the reason for the Plexiglass is because Pence could POSSIBLY be a typhoid mary.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:18 AM   #4374
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to the VP debates tonight. With much less interrupting, hoping it'll be much more informative on policies and substance.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #4375
Ben E Lou

Sheesh. Now Cunningham is being investigated by the Army Reserve, reasons unclear. Maybe the woman was a subordinate?

North Carolina Senate candidate Cal Cunningham Army investigation
Old 10-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #4376
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Looking forward to the VP debates tonight. With much less interrupting, hoping it'll be much more informative on policies and substance.
I wonder if the moderator will ask a question related to whatever nonsense Trump might Tweet during the debate.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #4377
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Sheesh. Now Cunningham is being investigated by the Army Reserve, reasons unclear. Maybe the woman was a subordinate?

North Carolina Senate candidate Cal Cunningham Army investigation

I think her husband may be a service member.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #4378
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In a normal election, this would sink Cunningham.

I don't think that this is a normal election.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #4379
JPhillips
General Manager

SC Republicans and NC Democrats.

It's so profoundly irresponsible to run for office with these grenades in your past.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #4380
JPhillips
General Manager

Damn. et tu Rasmussen?

Biden 52
Trump 40
Old 10-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #4381
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Damn. et tu Rasmussen?

Biden 52
Trump 40

Was about to post this. 12 points per Rasmussen is crazy. For those that think polling is leaning Dem, Rasmussen doesn't adjust for projected turnout. IIRC they basically poll a 50/50 split of Dems and Republicans, which means every poll they do leans republican by a few points.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #4382
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You're cute....

what you will hear is Pence calmly telling blatant lies instead of Trump spewing them out like a maniac.

There will also be an insane amount of praise heaped on Trump by Pence.

I heard Don Jr. this morning and they asked him how Pence was going to address the certain attacks on handling of coronavirus. His answer was they closed down travel from China in January. Like, that's it, that is the quiver in their arrow.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #4383
JPhillips
General Manager

This seems bad.

Quote:
The Department of Justice has weakened its long-standing prohibition against interfering in elections, according to two department officials.

Avoiding election interference is the overarching principle of DOJ policy on voting-related crimes. In place since at least 1980, the policy generally bars prosecutors not only from making any announcement about ongoing investigations close to an election but also from taking public steps — such as an arrest or a raid — before a vote is finalized because the publicity could tip the balance of a race.

But according to an email sent Friday by an official in the Public Integrity Section in Washington, now if a U.S. attorney’s office suspects election fraud that involves postal workers or military employees, federal investigators will be allowed to take public investigative steps before the polls close, even if those actions risk affecting the outcome of the election.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #4384
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well they have to have some way to hold accountable the people who dumped all those ballots in the river.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #4385
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

This thread needs daily updates on the 538 projection at this point. Right now it's 83% Biden and growing almost every day. I still say it hits 95 or higher by election.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #4386
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
This thread needs daily updates on the 538 projection at this point. Right now it's 83% Biden and growing almost every day. I still say it hits 95 or higher by election.

A few days ago, Silver said it was in the 70s but, if the election was held that day, it would have been in the low 90s (91%, I think). (My words not his) Basically, there is a percentage chance every day that something crazy happens to upend the race, but for each day that doesn't happen, it makes the outcome more and more certain.

SI

Old 10-07-2020, 01:31 PM   #4387
Jas_lov
College Starter

It just went up to 84%. Quinnipiac had Biden up 13 in PA, 11 in FL and 5 in IA so that probably moved it up a tick.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #4388
whomario
Pro Starter

Just saw that the State of Maine is on track to 115 mio spend on TV ads for the senate race. You guys do see how insane the amounts of money spent on elections are, right ? Right ?
(all parties in germany with 60 times the population spend less than that for everything to do with the entire national election cycle
And that's for half a dozen parties with a national scope. And a lot more people vote ! And i know the picture is similar all over the globe)

Like, what exactly is that accomplishing for democracy ? I mean, what's the 53rd ad going to accomplish or the 136th time you see the same one ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-07-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #4389
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Just saw that the State of Maine is on track to 115 mio spend on TV ads for the senate race. You guys do see how insane the amounts of money spent on elections are, right ? Right ?
(all parties in germany with 60 times the population spend less than that for everything to do with the entire national election cycle
And that's for half a dozen parties with a national scope. And a lot more people vote ! And i know the picture is similar all over the globe)

They wouldn't do it if it didn't give them a return on their money.

The coffers are so much easier to raid, I guess.

SI

Old 10-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #4390
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

We've been aware of this for a loooong time.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #4391
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
They wouldn't do it if it didn't give them a return on their money.

The coffers are so much easier to raid, I guess.

SI

What return ? Maine has about 60% voter turnout in a good case (45% last presidential election), it's lower now on average than before TVs were a thing and there's 2 freaking choices. It's not rocket science (not that most ads even aim at informing voters).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-07-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #4392
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What return ? Maine has about 60% voter turnout in a good case (45% last presidential election), it's lower now on average than before TVs were a thing and there's 2 freaking choices. It's not rocket science (not that most ads even aim at informing voters).

He's talking about kickbacks from who the eventual Senator is.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #4393
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

I believe in this case the return is referring to the sway granted to major donors.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #4394
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

There may still be another October surprise

Seems to be a done deal other than the post election drama that Trump will stir up. The more important stat to me is how many Senate seats can the Dems win. They won't get 60 but closer to that number the better as fair chance that GOP will come back some in 2022.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #4395
Galaril
Pro Starter

So I am wondering after tonight’s debate if we will even see anymore debates this election. I would think Trump if he was smart ( can’t believe I typed that) would stage some way to get Biden to drop out of the debate. Like refusing to wear a mask when entering or rejected plexiglass etc.. I mean I can not envision Trump doing any better. I expect in fact Trump to be even crazier the closer we get to the Election Day itself. How much worse could this get for him? He may soon be staring at a + 20-25 point deficit in the polls and down double digit in battleground states. Shit I saw one electoral map projection that says Mississippi is almost in play for Biden. Wow.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-07-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #4396
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So I am wondering after tonight’s debate if we will even see anymore debates this election. I would think Trump if he was smart ( can’t believe I typed that) would stage some way to get Biden to drop out of the debate. Like refusing to wear a mask when entering or rejected plexiglass etc.. I mean I can not envision Trump doing any better. I expect in fact Trump to be even crazier the closer we get to the Election Day itself. How much worse could this get for him? He may soon be staring at a + 20-25 point deficit in the polls and down double digit in battleground states. Shit I saw one electoral map projection that says Mississippi is almost in play for Biden. Wow.

A week from now, how much coughing and wheezing is Trump going to do during a 2 hour long debate? That's the most likely thing to be the lead story (unless Trump does something even more crazy to draw attention away from it - what's the PredictIt odds on him gnawing on Biden's ear during a debate? I want in on that action)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-07-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:04 PM   #4397
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched the Biden 20 min Gettysburg speech, it was good (and he didn't mention Trump by name). Maybe 5 min too long but very well could be me.

Good posture, presentation, voice etc.

I didn't see any obvious teleprompters in front of him and he wasn't reading from his notes. For the first couple minutes I was wondering if he had memorized it but googled and it said there were teleprompters somewhere.

The only continued ding is his make up team. Dammit, make him look a little younger, get some grey in his white hair etc.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #4398
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
A week from now, how much coughing and wheezing is Trump going to do during a 2 hour long debate? That's the most likely thing to be the lead story (unless Trump does something even more crazy to draw attention away from it - what's the PredictIt odds on him gnawing on Biden's ear during a debate? I want in on that action)

SI

I can very easily see Trump breaking rules by going over and trying to shake hands etc.

I don't think another debate is necessary at all. Biden has more to lose than gain, and he can get his message out by holding solo town halls etc.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #4399
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't even know the politics of it, but Biden can't do another debate. You cannot trust the Trump people AT ALL. And Biden will have serious complications if he catches it.

Let Trump dig between the sofa cushions to find enough money to run a "Biden is scared to debate" ad. Fine. Whatever.

Not worth risking it.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #4400
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I can very easily see Trump breaking rules by going over and trying to shake hands etc.

I don't think another debate is necessary at all. Biden has more to lose than gain, and he can get his message out by holding solo town halls etc.

I tend to agree, if he can't get a virtual debate, or at worst a 12 foot, plexiglass separated space, then fuck it. Trump did enough damage to himself in that first debate to move the needle on undecideds Biden's way and even though he will call Biden weak and scared if he backs out, Joe's campaign can spin it to a microcosm of how trump has handled the whole pandemic. Recklessly, reactively and with no thought for others.
Closed Thread