Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #501
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I still don't undertstand Elway "blowing up the team" to bring in Kubiak. Kubiak had health and presumably, mental issues relating the stress of being head coach. Now he is being arm-twisted to go to the one team that has the most pressure to win next season or two?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #502
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I still don't undertstand Elway "blowing up the team" to bring in Kubiak. Kubiak had health and presumably, mental issues relating the stress of being head coach. Now he is being arm-twisted to go to the one team that has the most pressure to win next season or two?

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #503
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Everyone I saying they have a year to win but think this hire is more about getting someone in here for a longterm stint with Manning either done now or after 2015.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #504
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Not to mention - how many of those picks were the result of garbage WRs not being on the same page as him?

Every INT isn't 100% the QB's fault, you know that stevew.

How many of the 55 sacks are cause he cannot make a quick read and throw?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #505
bhlloy
Coordinator

Eli had an all time awful season as a rookie. Brees was worse in his third season than Bortles was last year. A young QB on a shitty team will invariably look shitty. I think Bortles has a ton of potential and did as well as most rookies over the last ten years would have done on a train wreck of an offense.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #506
miked
College Starter

His best targets were Cecil Shorts and a bunch of rookie WRs and to take pressure off him they had Toby Gerhart as their starting RB. What could possibly go wrong.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #507
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How many of the 55 sacks are cause he cannot make a quick read and throw?

Or because the receivers aren't getting open and behind a line that is allowing pass rushers to flood thru. If he had less sacks and was throwing the ball up, you'd still be using it as a reason for him to be seen as a bust.

Bortles still has a lot of learning to do to be an NFL QB, but to somehow claim him to be a bust because of the terrible offensive talent in Jacksonville seems premature.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #508
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think Bortles and Bridgewater both will have good futures in the NFL but the one rookie QB that I am most impressed is Derek Carr. Seems to be a very intelligent, hard-working student of the position. Here's an excerpt that gives me an indicator of a QB with great potential, which there aren't that many in the league:

Raiders Have Their QB of the Future in Derek Carr | Bleacher Report

Quote:
It had become apparent even to skeptics during the Raiders' 24-13 upset of their Bay Area neighbors in early December. In that game, Carr outplayed Colin Kaepernick, threw three touchdowns and completed 78.6 percent of his passes, but it was the subtle aspects of his play that were most impressive.

In the third quarter, the Raiders were trailing by three. On a 2nd-and-7, Carr dropped back and looked for fullback Marcel Reece on a little curl, but Reece was covered. He progressed to tight end Mychal Rivera. Didn't see an opening. Then he looked for wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins on a crossing route. Nothing there.

Finally, he turned to wide receiver Andre Holmes, his fourth read, running a comeback on the sideline. Carr fired the pass before Holmes came out of his break. The completion went for 16 yards and was the key play in the touchdown drive that put the Raiders ahead for good.

"You can see him go one, two, three, four, release, and watch his feet and eyes work together," Olson said. "It's not just going through progressions, it's the understanding of the timing of progressions. It's one of those plays you would put on your clinic tape. This is the timing you want on this play, this is what it is supposed to look like."
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #509
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
His best targets were Cecil Shorts and a bunch of rookie WRs and to take pressure off him they had Toby Gerhart as their starting RB. What could possibly go wrong.

forget the shiny toys around him, get him a freaking line!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #510
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lane Kiffin to the Niners? It must be great to have a we respected father who is a coach.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #511
Galaril
Pro Starter

Kubiak announced as Broncos HC and expect Dennison to be the OC and Vance Joseph as the DC.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #512
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Lane Kiffin to the Niners? It must be great to have a we respected father who is a coach.

Even if Harbaugh was a pain in the ass to deal with, the way the Niners have handled this has been awful. They fire the most successful coach since Seifert (at least), hire a guy who can't even handle a press conference. Hiring Kiffin would be tour de force of stupidity, so why not?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #513
MacroGuru
Coordinator

HAHA...oh my, I know Doug is still getting paid a shit load of money by the bills, but to land in the world of being Assistant HC / Oline Coach for the Jags, that has to say something.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #514
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
HAHA...oh my, I know Doug is still getting paid a shit load of money by the bills, but to land in the world of being Assistant HC / Oline Coach for the Jags, that has to say something.

I realize no one ever found his comments about Nassib from two years ago that I referenced, but the way I look at it, this career move as much as shows this guy isn't as highly viewed as he himself thinks he is.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #515
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

How the mighty have fallen

Marrone hired as assistant HC-offense/offensive line

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #516
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post

He got a $4 million dollar parachute, which should make the landing a little more palatable. I imagine Marrone will be in play for some college head coaching jobs next year. His NFL career is probably dead.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #517
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
He got a $4 million dollar parachute, which should make the landing a little more palatable. I imagine Marrone will be in play for some college head coaching jobs next year. His NFL career is probably dead.

Curious, as I didn't follow the link, but is that in the article (the parachute)? I thought Marrone elected to make himself a free agent, as per an option in his contract. Did the Bills really write in that they would pay him $4 M if he selected the option to end the contract?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #518
Logan
Head Coach

The option, which was triggered by an ownership change, carried with it him being paid his salary in full, with no offset against salary for another gig.

Believe this was another instance of Jimmy Sexton working his magic.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #519
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Boy, no kidding.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #520
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I thought Marrone would get the Jets job, but now that he didn't he may never see a HC job in the NFL again. The owner club is awfully small and they don't like it when one of their own gets punked. He should seriously consider going back to the college game next year.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #521
molson
General Manager

Those are the kind of accommodations a team has to make when you're trying to pry a 2-time Pinstripe Bowl winning coach away from a mid-level college program.

Maybe he didn't like being a head coach in the NFL...so if you can get paid like a head coach for a bit even without having to do that job, then hey, why not.

Last edited by molson : 01-20-2015 at 03:13 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #522
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Interesting triangle involving John Fox, Marc Trestman and Gary Kubiak.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #523
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Reading teh tea leaves, I think the Jags bring in anll three of their top candidates. Doug is in, and I think the toerh two come in as QB Coach and OC.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #524
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Interesting triangle involving John Fox, Marc Trestman and Gary Kubiak.

I think Fox is the biggest winner there. He'll have time to rebuild the Bears. Not sure Kubiak is going to get that type of luxury and won't have a QB to boot when Manning retires. Trestman gets to be an offensive coordinator again which he's good at.

Last edited by BillJasper : 01-20-2015 at 04:00 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #525
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Marrone is probably positioned to move into the Jags HC job should Bradley post another really bad season. I imagine, though, if he gets that line looking respectable it will go a long way towards the team becoming respectable.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #526
Atocep
Coordinator

Chan Gailey as OC of the Jets? What year is it?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #527
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Chiefs execs meet with Eric Berry

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...th-Eric-Berry/

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-21-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #528
Kodos
Resident Alien

Peyton Manning reportedly intends to return to Denver Broncos for 2015 season | FOX Sports
Old 01-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #529
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints owner Tom Benson recently said that he intends for his wife Gayle to take over the Saints and Pelicans when he dies. In so doing, he froze out his granddaughter and other family members.

So, of course, those family members are now suing, claiming that he is incompetent and that his wife is controlling him to his detriment.

So that will be sad as hell to watch play out.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #530
Logan
Head Coach

I'm guessing that's a second (or third, or...) wife?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #531
kingfc22
Head Coach

Niners settle on Mangini for DC.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #532
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Saints owner Tom Benson recently said that he intends for his wife Gayle to take over the Saints and Pelicans when he dies. In so doing, he froze out his granddaughter and other family members.

So, of course, those family members are now suing, claiming that he is incompetent and that his wife is controlling him to his detriment.

Plus, Louisiana uses a whole different system of law for private disputes than the rest of the country.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #533
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Niners settle on Mangini for DC.

Did they hire Kiffin as OC? If that team will now be coached by a guy with troubles communicating with the media, and two blowhards with checkered pasts at the coordinator spots, I might just laugh myself to sleep tonight.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #534
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Plus, Louisiana uses a whole different system of law for private disputes than the rest of the country.

Gator Rasslin'?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #535
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Did they hire Kiffin as OC? If that team will now be coached by a guy with troubles communicating with the media, and two blowhards with checkered pasts at the coordinator spots, I might just laugh myself to sleep tonight.

Still no OC.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #536
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Still no OC.

So you're saying there's a chance!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #537
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I think they have a case as he'd probably choose Sean Payton if he were of sound mind.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #538
korme
Go Reds

Pretty sure if Vince McMahon ever wanted to re-start the XFL Marshawn Lynch would be the first star knocking at his door.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #539
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Colts' Trent Richardson suspended for two games - NFL.com

Good job on that trade Grigson.

Good job.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #540
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Dola, read another article saying that by suspending Richardson, the Colts can avoid paying his 3 million dollar guaranteed salary next year.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #541
kingfc22
Head Coach

Josh Gordon. You sir are an idiot. He'll be broke and in jail in less than 3 years.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #542
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Josh Gordon of Cleveland Browns facing one-year suspension after failing another drug test - ESPN

lol

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #543
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ah the perils of alcohol!
Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #544
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Too bad that someone that immensely talented can't control themselves.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #545
mckerney
Coordinator

Crotch grabbing, bad enough for a 15 yard penalty and $20,000 fine. Not so bad that is can't be sold for $150.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #546
Thomkal
Head Coach

disappointing, but not surprising. given a second chance and pisses it away. Very sad to see another person lose the battle to alcohol. Hope this time he gets the counseling he needs.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #547
cuervo72
Head Coach

2:00 warnings in the 1st and 3rd Q to "speed up the pace of play." Yeah, right.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #548
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
disappointing, but not surprising. given a second chance and pisses it away. Very sad to see another person lose the battle to alcohol. Hope this time he gets the counseling he needs.

I understand that Gordon needs no sympathy, and I'm loathe to give him any, but alcohol? What the hell NFLPA? How do you let the NFL disallow a legal substance that is in no way performance enhancing? This seems ridiculous.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:42 AM   #549
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think its a special situation for Gordon due to DUI issues.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:51 AM   #550
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I get it, and like I said, he's not one that deserves sympathy from anyone. I even understand that a guy with substance abuse problems should probably be avoiding alcohol. But to suspend him an entire season for having something to drink? That seems absurd.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote