Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #651
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

With all the concussion talk, hs anyone studied the Simpson helmet?

I think Wild Bill is onto something there to be honest.

Plus I cant help but wonder about the increase is loose helmets and the decreased frequency of mouthpieces. I think both contribute to elevated concussion risk
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #652
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Anytime you can sign a moral pariah you should definitely try to time it for a week with no other NFL moves happening for maximum exposure. NFL Richie Incognito, Bills agree - ESPN
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #653
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Rex Ryan loves controversy like he loves feet.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #654
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tony Dorsett battling CTE, had no idea 'that the end was going to be like this' - ESPN Dallas
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #655
mckerney
Coordinator

Richie Incognito is the Jackie Robinson of abusive bullies.

Kelly: Even Richie Incognito has a right to play - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
The notion that all “bad” people should be barred from modern-day sports is a perverted sub-species of the one that kept the Jackie Robinsons out of the games 60 years ago. It may have very different motivations, but it ends up in the same place – a subjective barrier to entry. Who defines that code? Where do they derive their authority from?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #656
Logan
Head Coach

We need one of those great flow charts where any of 100 scenarios of "Should I compare whatever-the-fuck to Jackie Robinson?" always leads to "no".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #657
stevew
Hall Of Famer

this is just a dumb conspiracy theory but nobody ever questioned the Russell Wilson/Microsoft deal? Allen isn't really involved in that company any more, but seems like it's an easy way to funnel funds to a player who was ineligible for a contract adjustment.

Obviously I'm like 2 years later on this one.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #658
Logan
Head Coach

Frankly I'd love to know how leagues make sure teams aren't funneling money to players without even the veil of some kind of endorsement deal.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #659
Butter
Coordinator

If "Microsoft" wants to pay Russell Wilson $50 million as a "spokesperson retainer fee", would that even be considered out of bounds?

Last edited by Butter : 02-11-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #660
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Presumably it's only a problem if the fee is contingent on him staying with the Seahawks.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #661
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Colts release LaRon Landry.

And good riddance.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #662
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Steelers talking about transition tagging Jason Worlids again. Is it bad I'm not positive what his jersey # even is?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #663
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The Colts release LaRon Landry.

And good riddance.

Luck should just demand 30M. When questioned he could just say "I know I'm only worth 23, but this way Grigson can't blow 7M a season on 0 impact guys like Landry and Richardson"

Last edited by stevew : 02-11-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #664
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Leveon Bell expected to be suspended weeks 1/2 for blunting with Blount.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #665
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bucs release McCown.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #666
kingfc22
Head Coach

Jim Harbaugh says he didn't leave the 49ers by choice - SBNation.com

Noooo....Stop it. You mean Jed York lied to everyone.

File this one into the anyone with an IQ above zero already knew this is what happened.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #667
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Colt's Ahmed Bradshaw gets cited for pot possession. If you replaced Ahmed's name with Trent Richardson I would be happy with this news.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #668
stevew
Hall Of Famer

CJ2K released by the Jets.

Currently at 86xx yards, will be interesting to see if he gets to 10K.

He averaged 4.3ypc last year, but I dunno if he's still any good cause watching the Jets is pain.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #669
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This is getting to “Grassy Knoll” level stuff. Folks are CONVINCED that the Pats cheated. Why? Because it FEELS true to them (yes, Colbert fans, we’re in the “Truthiness Zone”)

Yesterday: “The Pats tried to sneak an unapproved ball into play” (Pats Haters: Ah-HA! We’ve found the smoking gun! Ban Belichick for life, Suspend Brady for 10 years!)

Today: “League official handed ball to Pats to be put into play, officials under investigation for selling balls on the side” (Pats Haters: Um… THEY STILL CHEATED, THEY JUST COVERING IT UP!)
Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #670
Logan
Head Coach

Did I miss some posts?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #671
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thank the football Gods!

Cardinals, Larry Fitzgerald come to terms on multiyear deal : Fantasy News

I think its great my beloved Cards were able to get this done with Fitz. I think he's clearly coming to the end of his career, but he had a good chemistry with Carson Palmer and still might have a 1,000 yard season in him if both he and Carson stay healthy now. (Palmer is ahead of schedule in his injury recovery). Cards have started to look for his replacement and likely will draft at least one WR this year in case of injury and take some of the pressure off him.

Very happy
Old 02-18-2015, 10:10 PM   #672
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Way too much coin for Fitzgerald. I can see keeping him but not much above 7M/season. His cap charge next year is going to be pretty ugly(16-17M+?)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #673
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
This is getting to “Grassy Knoll” level stuff. Folks are CONVINCED that the Pats cheated. Why? Because it FEELS true to them (yes, Colbert fans, we’re in the “Truthiness Zone”)

Yesterday: “The Pats tried to sneak an unapproved ball into play” (Pats Haters: Ah-HA! We’ve found the smoking gun! Ban Belichick for life, Suspend Brady for 10 years!)

Today: “League official handed ball to Pats to be put into play, officials under investigation for selling balls on the side” (Pats Haters: Um… THEY STILL CHEATED, THEY JUST COVERING IT UP!)

If you replaced "folks" with "ESPN" you would have the explanation for why this not very interesting story still keeps going.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #674
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Way too much coin for Fitzgerald. I can see keeping him but not much above 7M/season. His cap charge next year is going to be pretty ugly(16-17M+?)

Well his salary was going to be 23 million this year, and 60 over the next four seasons. So why it may still be too much, I don't think Fitz would have gone that much lower. Besides they were 16 million over the cap with Fitz's old contract, the new one creates around 13 million cap space.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #675
Desnudo
Coordinator

They should definitely use some of that on the backup QB position.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #676
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
They should definitely use some of that on the backup QB position.

Yeah they had better
Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #677
kingfc22
Head Coach

BREAKING: Raiders, Chargers Propose Shared NFL Stadium In Los Angeles | KRON-TV
Old 02-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #678
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, LA. Always being the negotiating ploy for other teams to get better stadium deals . Though this one is more planned out than the others.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #679
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I can see the Rams and Chargers/Raiders sharing a stadium since they are from separate conferences, but I do not see the advantage of the Chargers/Raiders sharing a stadium in the same city from the NFL's perspective.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #680
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Apparently, Adrian Peterson wants to be traded to Dallas.

I had no idea he was truly the ultimate Viking loyalist. He ran his ass off for years, and now, as he inevitably goes into the running back sharp depreciation period, he wants to undo the worst trade in NFL history and get Minnesota a pick or two.

I still look at that Herschel Walker trade sometimes and marvel that there was a day when NFL GMs could be fleeced like cartoon Hollywood types.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #681
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I can see the Rams and Chargers/Raiders sharing a stadium since they are from separate conferences, but I do not see the advantage of the Chargers/Raiders sharing a stadium in the same city from the NFL's perspective.

The key is looking at the amount of money people are willing to invest in a new Los Angeles stadium (even without public money, apparently).

The new stadium will include many corporate amenities that aren't shared under the revenue-sharing system and will drive the value of those franchises upward. Which, in turn, moves everyone's franchise upward. And that makes all the owners happy.

From a fan perspective, it will be annoying at best, heart-breaking for many local Oakland and San Diego fans. But it's a national game.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #682
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't see a draft/combine thread , but safe to say Clemson DE Vic Beasley made money today. Coming into the combine the were rumblings he was lighter than the 235 Clemson listed him at. He weighed in solid in the 240s. Then posted best in position Bench numbers, and followed that up with a (tied) best in position 40 time. Coincidentally tiring Clowneys 40 time for last year and adding 13 reps to his bench total....

Great shy young kid is about to have big checks to cash.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #683
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I still look at that Herschel Walker trade sometimes and marvel that there was a day when NFL GMs could be fleeced like cartoon Hollywood types.

Ryan Grigson is hopefully well aware that GMs today can still get fleeced.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #684
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Didn't see a draft/combine thread , but safe to say Clemson DE Vic Beasley made money today. Coming into the combine the were rumblings he was lighter than the 235 Clemson listed him at. He weighed in solid in the 240s. Then posted best in position Bench numbers, and followed that up with a (tied) best in position 40 time. Coincidentally tiring Clowneys 40 time for last year and adding 13 reps to his bench total....

Great shy young kid is about to have big checks to cash.

He matched the top bench total of the defensive tackles.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #685
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Apparently, Adrian Peterson wants to be traded to Dallas.

I had no idea he was truly the ultimate Viking loyalist. He ran his ass off for years, and now, as he inevitably goes into the running back sharp depreciation period, he wants to undo the worst trade in NFL history and get Minnesota a pick or two.

That trade would have gotten someone kicked out of a FOF MP league.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #686
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I love this take.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #687
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm only catching tweets and headlines and the like, but J. Winston seems like he might be the real deal. Pretty much all positive stuff coming out about him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #688
Kodos
Resident Alien

And a great head on his shoulders!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #689
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'm only catching tweets and headlines and the like, but J. Winston seems like he might be the real deal. Pretty much all positive stuff coming out about him.

Everything I've been reading about him screams J Russell to me. $100 million arm, $.10 head. I guess that also qualifies him as a N. LaLoosh clone as well.

Last edited by Warhammer : 02-23-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #690
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Actually talking with folks in Tally, many have been confused most by Winston's behavior issues because he is by all accounts a very bright guy.

I've heard coach's rave about his ability to read defenses on the fly, to adjust Offensive alignments, audible out of bad plays...none of that could be said about Russell.

He seems to be just a great big baby though, no self awareness and very little to no self-control.

This weekend a coach who has worked with him a bunch said this to me and a friend over a couple beers "This is who Jameis is. He is going to come in, be rookie of the year. 3 great seasons sign the biggest contract in NFL histroy. A savant. People will rave about how he was just a misguided kid and has matured so well. Then he is going to get the itch to buy a machine gun one day. He will buy that machine gun and walk around with it admiring it in downtown NYC and get shot by cops. In his last moments he will have no idea in his heart of hearts why he was shot when he was just looking down the sights of an empty gun."

I still question if the guy is all there. Maybe a rainman in Tarzan's body.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #691
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Josh Shaw had a very good combine with a 4.44 in the 40 and 26 bench reps. I am very interested to see where he is drafted. I think he just climbed from a late round pick to a 3rd type of player.

Edit to add: he was near the top of every drill he participated in as well.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-23-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #692
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Josh Shaw had a very good combine with a 4.44 in the 40 and 26 bench reps. I am very interested to see where he is drafted. I think he just climbed from a late round pick to a 3rd type of player.

Edit to add: he was near the top of every drill he participated in as well.

Nice job avoiding "jumped".
Old 02-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #693
bhlloy
Coordinator

I hear he tore it up in the 20ft balcony leap
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #694
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Did you see that dude with the 12'3"??? That jump was so broad, it was like a generalization of the universe.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 02-23-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #695
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The Browns are an endless font of entertainment. While the rest of the league is in the midst of the offseason the Browns seem like they're tirelessly making a real effort to keep their rolling implosion going.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #696
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Actually talking with folks in Tally, many have been confused most by Winston's behavior issues because he is by all accounts a very bright guy.

I've heard coach's rave about his ability to read defenses on the fly, to adjust Offensive alignments, audible out of bad plays...none of that could be said about Russell.

He seems to be just a great big baby though, no self awareness and very little to no self-control.

The question I would ask is if it's possible to be a good-to-great QB in the NFL on talent alone. Or if it takes talent and a lot of application to be good-to-great.

You look at guys like Manning, Brees, Brady and Rodgers in games and when the defense is on the field they're generally doing study on the sidelines, trying to dissect every part of the opposing defense. They're talented, yes, but they're also relentless. Is there a level of talent that can allow a non-relentless QB to prosper in the NFL?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #697
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Winston seems a lot like Roethlisburger. I'd say Ben has rarely been referred to as a student of the game but has thrived due to athletic ability and inate skills that can't be taught.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #698
Logan
Head Coach

Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #699
BillJasper
Pro Starter

A brown facemask? I have a feeling that is going to be hideous.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #700
Kodos
Resident Alien

Reminds me of a sign I saw on a toilet: If it's brown, flush it down.