Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #16001
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I disagree. They're not as crazy as he is, even the conservatives.

We keep echoing this sentiment about a lot of things surrounding this administration, yet this stuff keeps happening, and getting exponentially worse.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #16002
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
But if they feel it is an actual emergency it doesn’t become an egregious violation. Let’s also not act like quid pro quo doesn’t exist with regards to recent nominations.

I think you're letting your bias toward assuming the worst of the other side get to you, IMO. I don't think any of the Supreme Court justices are unreasonable, even Cavanaugh.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #16003
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We keep echoing this sentiment about a lot of things surrounding this administration, yet this stuff keeps happening, and getting exponentially worse.

Well, you're free to feel that way, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #16004
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I think you're letting your bias toward assuming the worst of the other side get to you, IMO. I don't think any of the Supreme Court justices are unreasonable, even Cavanaugh.

Kavanaugh doesn’t think a sitting president should be able to be tried for crimes while in office. I don’t trust his judgment in the least.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #16005
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't think the Supreme Court has any desire to touch the case. I think the most likely scenario is it's struck down by a lower federal court and the Supreme Court refuses to hear the appeal.

The Supreme Court only needs four votes to grant cert.

Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Bob's your uncle.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #16006
ISiddiqui
General Manager

Quote:
And that is an understandable fear, but my gut (my hope?) is that even conservative judges are going to be at least somewhat reasonable and would not approve egregious violations of the constitution, which this qualifies for, IMO.

They may be conservative but since they aren't by any account nutso like Trump or some of the people backing him, I suspect they will use a lot more reason and logic and uphold the importance of the framing document over the whims of one man.

I hope that SCOTUS stops it as well, but there is definitely more than a zero % chance that SCOTUS takes the President's side on this, especially with a more expanded view of executive power on the bench. Interestingly this may be another case where CJ Roberts has to stop the insanity leading to people on the right calling him Satan.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #16007
albionmoonlight
Coordinator

I was, once again, wrong about Trump. I thought he'd declare the wall built, declare victory, and call it a day. I didn't see the emergency resolution coming.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #16008
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Trump to NBC reporter Peter Alexander on the national emergency:

“I didn’t need to do this.” “I just want to do it faster.”

That's a lot of lawsuits he just lost.

Pelosi just latched on to this on Twitter.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #16009
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I hope that SCOTUS stops it as well, but there is definitely more than a zero % chance that SCOTUS takes the President's side on this, especially with a more expanded view of executive power on the bench. Interestingly this may be another case where CJ Roberts has to stop the insanity leading to people on the right calling him Satan.

Agreed. It is definitely more than zero and I don't think Lathum or other Dems are wrong to fear it happening, but I truly don't think it will happen. I think they will strike it down, something like 6-3, 7-2. It won't be close.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #16010
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Agreed. It is definitely more than zero and I don't think Lathum or other Dems are wrong to fear it happening, but I truly don't think it will happen. I think they will strike it down, something like 6-3, 7-2. It won't be close.

If the gap would be that big they won’t even hear it. They talk. It will be 5-4 one way or the other. There is a reason Merrik Garland happened and it’s at our doorstep.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #16011
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
If the gap would be that big they won’t even hear it.

Only plausible if the lower courts smack it down unanimously (or approve it unanimously). If there's a split on a Constitutional question, SCOTUS will almost certainly have to take the case to resolve the split decision.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #16012
Brian Swartz
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Kavanaugh doesn’t think a sitting president should be able to be tried for crimes while in office. I don’t trust his judgment in the least.

Neither does the DOJ, going back multiple adminstrations. I don't think that's an extreme view - they should be impeached first, which is the constitutional remedy. Personally I think a big part of the problem is that as a nation we've never been willing to impeach nearly often enough. .
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #16013
Thomkal
Coordinator

Mueller's team recommends 19-24 years for Manafort,
Old 02-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #16014
Drake
assmaster

Starting to see lots of my pro-Trump FB friends posting memes that say "When are politicians going to declare a national emergency over our country's $22 trillion debt?"

Followed by comments cheering on true patriots to resist the liberal agenda that dug that deficit.

After spending an hour last night reading comments on an article about girls in Scouts BSA where everyone was blaming the liberal/transgender agenda for the de-masculinization of society*, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe we shouldn't just burn it all down and start again.

[*] I'm not going to explain the whole girl dens in Boy Scouts thing and how that came about. I'm going to assume you guys can both Google and read, but if you want the tl;dr on it: nobody forced anybody to do anything...unless you want to count market forces from declining enrollment. It was a business decision aimed at growing the market.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM   #16015
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think humans are about to be their own undoing with so much disinformation and tribalism out there. We're mostly smart enough as a species to avoid it, but I think the sheer number of mentally secluded idiots out there are going to eventually overpower the rest of us. Half of them seem to want to accelerate our demise in the name of their god returning to save them. The worse it gets, the more they believe the revelation is upon us.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM   #16016
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wouldn't give us great odds of making it out of this century.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #16017
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

We need the baby boomers and depression era folks to die off.

It sounds harsh, but they are the biggest group that support the lunacy. My 88 year old dad the other day was claiming global warming isn't real, and every 11,000 years the planet goes through this cycle.

He actually believes this shit, and as long as his retirement account grows he doesn't give 2 shits about the planet, the wall, or the perversion of the constitution.
Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM   #16018
JPhillips
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

And we've got a backup plan in case climate change doesn't do the job, we'll just kill all the insects and make it impossible to grow food.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #16019
Thomkal
Coordinator

Trump's pick to replace Nikki Haley as UN Ambassdor withdraws her nomination:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16/polit...dor/index.html
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #16020
Brian Swartz
Pro Rookie

I think we overvalue our own intelligence compared to other generations. Guarantee our children, grandchildren, etc. will be saying the same exact stuff about us, in a 'how the heck do you believe that crap/you embarrass me to my core/etc. type of way'. It's just the way things are.

I don't see humanity destroying itself, but I think we're in for some massive upheavals. Thing is, at a certain point people will want their leaders to do whatever is necessary to 'fix' the problems, at which point I think we'll end up back in a more autocratic arrangement for much of the world and quite possibly a one-world government. The end of the species? Nah, but I think the planet will look as unrecognizable to us as we would to those who lived in the 19th century 100 years from now. Perhaps even moreso.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote