Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #16751
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's more, "LOOK AT ME! I GIVE LOTS OF FUCKS ABOUT THIS STUFF! YOU SHOULD HONOR MY FUCKS!! I TOTALLY JUDGE YOU BASED ON WHO FOLLOWS MY DIRECTIVES ABOUT MY FUCKS!! I'M A GOOD PERSON AND BY DOING THIS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I AM. "

Interesting.

I interpret them mostly as "I HAVE NO DESIRE TO HAVE FREE WILL. I'M COMPLETELY SUGGESTIBLE AND LACK THE SELF-ESTEEM TO NOT FOLLOW RANDOM ORDERS FROM RANDOM PEOPLE ON THE INTERWEBZ"
Old 05-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #16752
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, I feel like if they actually gave a fuck they would actually right their own damn post. is it really hard to write something like that in your own words?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #16753
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
yeah, I feel like if they actually gave a fuck they would actually right their own damn post. is it really hard to write something like that in your own words?

Speaking of, I had my own take on the whole "Ten Bands" thing, making fun of the fact that I've really only been to one proper concert. Of course, someone copied and pasted my intro, which was basically a spin of "hey, I know nobody cares, but..."
Old 05-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #16754
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Maybe they're afraid of making grammar mistakes?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:50 AM   #16755
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Maybe they're afraid of making grammar mistakes?

seriously, the older I get the more trouble I have with homophones. I catch myself mixing them up all the time, and sometimes I don't.

It's a bit concerning to me. I clearly know the difference between write and right, but my aging brain seems be getting confused.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #16756
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
seriously, the older I get the more trouble I have with homophones. I catch myself mixing them up all the time, and sometimes I don't.

It's a bit concerning to me. I clearly know the difference between write and right, but my aging brain seems be getting confused.

I wonder if this is a thing. I have noticed myself doing it as well, and I tend to be the guy who points out and corrects those sort of errors.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #16757
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

here's a perfect example:

Quote:
The Police are now saying if you see either a child or dog locked in a car in hot weather, take a picture of the child or dog and the car. If someone is with you, get them to bring up the weather for your area on their phone so you can screen shot the temp, then break the car window. This way, you will not be charged with criminal damage and it gives the police photo evidence to take the child/dog owners to court.
Can everyone please copy and paste this information to prevent this cruel act from happening?
Summer is coming!l ����
Please don't just share this post. By copying and pasting all YOUR contacts will see it too. If you share someone's status only your mutual friends will see it.

Which police are saying that? And if they did, why wouldn't you just share their post. Are we to believe a police department drafted some guidance to save animals and children from hot cars but then asked everyone not to share it officially, just to "put it in their own words" so to speak? Or maybe it's the actual Police who have said this. I'm sure Sting is an animal lover.

So, who creates this post? Animal/child lover? If so, why the extra bullshit about taking a picture? Why not something along the lines of "if you see someone dying in a car, get them the fuck out NOW"? Is this some sort of trick to make good Samaritans think they are protected by the law (THE FOOLS!)? Window manufacturer, perhaps, trying to drum up some extra business? I just don't understand who took the time to create that. The "don't share this post" simply bewilders me.

and, of course, I don't believe I actually have 3 (so far) friends dumb enough to share that. But that's a different story.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 05-04-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #16758
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So this seems to be how it's going to go.

LaVar Ball says/does something outrageous.
Talking heads jump all over themselves to shout "That's Outrageous!"
The talking heads get clicks.
Lavar Ball gets attention, which helps promote his brand.
Rinse/repeat for, like, the next 15 years.

Sigh.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #16759
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Blue Brothers 2000 movie had such great collection of musicians yet so little came of it.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #16760
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm about to attend a Legends Football League game.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #16761
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm about to attend a Legends Football League game.

What is that?

Edit: Just looked it up. Probably cheaper than a strip club.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 05-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #16762
Suicane75
Coordinator

As great a show as Seinfeld was, most of their sets were horrible.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #16763
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

That Legends Football League game I just returned from was utter nonsense.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:41 AM   #16764
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
That Legends Football League game I just returned from was utter nonsense.

You said LFL and I thought you meant Lingerie Football League.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:49 AM   #16765
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You said LFL and I thought you meant Lingerie Football League.
Well, it used to be the Lingerie Football League, but they're not really wearing lingerie anymore. I thought everybody knew that by now!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #16766
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I fired up a computer that I last used in 2012 today hoping to set it up so we can easily print from it. It booted and I looked at this screen for roughly 20 minutes trying different passwords to no avail. I was also smart enough to make sure I disabled the administrator account.

Took me roughly 5 minutes of googling and 20 minutes of "hacking" to reset my password. I feel like it probably shouldn't have been that easy to gain access to a locked computer without a password. I also slightly feel like a criminal.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #16767
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

x2. I've always been one of "those people" who couldn't help pointing out mistakes with the whole there/their/they're thing, but if I don't pay attention I find myself doing it myself all the time the last year or so. Karma is a bitch.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #16768
Logan
Head Coach

When did they change the recipe for Breath Savers mints? Back in the day, the center was made up of an even stronger, crystally mint composition.

I bought a package the other day and the middle is basically the same consistency and just colored to look differently. You used to be able to bite the outer ring and leave just the center. Now it's all the same shit.

WTF.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #16769
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
When did they change the recipe for Breath Savers mints? Back in the day, the center was made up of an even stronger, crystally mint composition.

I bought a package the other day and the middle is basically the same consistency and just colored to look differently. You used to be able to bite the outer ring and leave just the center. Now it's all the same shit.

WTF.

The center now self-identifies as the outer ring.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #16770
Kodos
Resident Alien

Unfortunately, the mints had a pre-existing condition, and now they can't afford to get surgery to fix the minty center.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #16771
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
x2. I've always been one of "those people" who couldn't help pointing out mistakes with the whole there/their/they're thing, but if I don't pay attention I find myself doing it myself all the time the last year or so. Karma is a bitch.

Same.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #16772
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No idea what thread to put this in really, doesn't seem worth a thread of its own either, so ...

That Georgia guy lauded as a superhero teacher isn’t really a teacher

The story was a fluff piece that ran in quite a few places -- including at least 3 of the 4 local TV stations news shows -- about a touching letter left on the desk of a local teacher by one of his students.

Small problem ... neither place where he told (different) stations he worked has any idea who he is.

I thought it was interesting that the AJC rooted out the apparent scam despite the fact that one of the TV stations who fell for it has the same ownership they do.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 AM   #16773
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know we've gone through a million variations of the FOFC is dead meme, but I'm pretty sure FOFC is actually dead now.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #16774
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know we've gone through a million variations of the FOFC is dead meme, but I'm pretty sure FOFC is actually dead now.

Not as long as we have spambots.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #16775
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Interesting.

I interpret them mostly as "I HAVE NO DESIRE TO HAVE FREE WILL. I'M COMPLETELY SUGGESTIBLE AND LACK THE SELF-ESTEEM TO NOT FOLLOW RANDOM ORDERS FROM RANDOM PEOPLE ON THE INTERWEBZ"
This.

And speaking of this arena:
Quote:
Originally Posted by One of my snarkier friends on FB
For folks who love copying and pasting polls about themselves on FB, I have a simple one for you:

1. What was the name of your first pet?
2. What is your mother's maiden name?
3. Who was your kindergarten teacher?
4. What is the name of your favorite band?
5. What are your children's names and birth dates?
6. Anything else you can think of that will help me hack into your accounts and steal your identity? Anything at all?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-09-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #16776
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
This.

And speaking of this arena:

Name of the street you grew up on
Old 05-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #16777
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #16778
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

You would think it's common sense that a middle school awards function in which explicit instructions include children are not allowed you wear jeans, shorts or tshirts... You would think it's understood that the parents should follow the same dress code. And jeans and ball caps should be understood to be a no-no.

But alas not so much.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #16779
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
You would think it's common sense that a middle school awards function in which explicit instructions include children are not allowed you wear jeans, shorts or tshirts... You would think it's understood that the parents should follow the same dress code. And jeans and ball caps should be understood to be a no-no.

But alas not so much.

And further along that line of thinking. When did it become acceptable to leave in the middle of a performance just because you're kid is done?

I mean these families just get up and leave, and I've seen it in church too. Like we gotta beat the rush no matter if they're praying or whatever, we gotta gtfo!

Maybe this should be in the pet peeves thread?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #16780
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We left in the middle of performances after our daughter performed because there was a distinct break between grades and the area was too small. People had to stand in the back if they got there late.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #16781
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But alas not so much.

Eh, I dunno on that one, not as an absolute anyway.

The kids are "on display", the parents really aren't (in theory, never mind practical reality). With parental engagement a persistent issue almost everywhere, I think I'd rather celebrate that they appeared at all rather than ponder their choice of (or circumstancially dictated) dress.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-10-2017 at 09:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #16782
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And further along that line of thinking. When did it become acceptable to leave in the middle of a performance just because you're kid is done?

If the departure is not a significant disruption, I'm in the "let folks live their lives" camp on this.

With things like multiple kids in multiple schools, competing demands for time & attention, work schedules, you name it ...

I generally hoped that everybody's {insert musical instrument here} solo goes well ... but that doesn't mean I have the slightest desire to sit through it either. Hell, in the early years, it was tough enough to get through my own kid's performance on occasion.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #16783
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If the departure is not a significant disruption, I'm in the "let folks live their lives" camp on this.

With things like multiple kids in multiple schools, competing demands for time & attention, work schedules, you name it ...

I generally hoped that everybody's {insert musical instrument here} solo goes well ... but that doesn't mean I have the slightest desire to sit through it either. Hell, in the early years, it was tough enough to get through my own kid's performance on occasion.

Even when the teacher specifically tells you that since the older kids waited for you to play, you need to sit in the audience and give them the same respect?

It's a concert. It's not "hey look my kid is done lets bolt."

Further along that line, my freshman's band director is the single worst band director I've ever experienced, from my days to his middle and high school days. So bad that my son, who has sat first chair Trombone since 7th grade, and got a leadership award last year, is done. It's really too bad. I've got an email ready to go to the principal and superintendent once school is functionally over about him.

Now this may come as a shock to you, but my son is fairly opinionated, and he has been known to tell teachers exactly what is on his mind about them, and we aren't talking about compliments. I'd have never had that balls at that age. I won't say disrespectful, because he is very respectful, but he knows what needs to be done, and he doesn't tolerate teachers he can plainly see through. Some teachers don't know how to handle him, the good ones just put him back in his place and he loves them if they work him hard.

Today they were working on a piece and he said something to his stand mate about what they were working on and the director called him out on it in front of everyone. He said he uncorked a diatribe of criticism about the way they were practicing and what parts of the piece they should be working on and how certain areas that always get missed never get worked on and why certain notes get missed and he never notices. I was so proud.

The director just went, ok, and went back to business. He already knows that my son, and the entire lower brass isn't coming back for next year. He's already trying to lay guilt trips on them to play, because he knows that he won't have anyone to play except incoming freshmen.

Like Steam?

Old 05-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #16784
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even when the teacher specifically tells you that since the older kids waited for you to play, you need to sit in the audience and give them the same respect?

It's a concert. It's not "hey look my kid is done lets bolt."

Okay, wait, maybe I'm confused (or something). If the students were told to stay, barring a previous arrangement for cause then they're kinda stuck. As a parent though? The day any teacher or administrator dictates how/where I spend my time as an adult hasn't arrived, nor do I suspect it ever will. If there's somewhere else I choose to be -- be that for a work need, a family need, or for my own physical or mental health, then that's where I'm gonna be.

Let's be brutally honest here, cause it's the FOFC rather than a PTA meeting.
If I enjoy what someone is doing, I might be inclined to sit it out. If I actually know or like the kid involved? I'm nearly certain If it's, I dunno, interpretive dance (trying to pick something absurd but in the realm of vague possibility) and it's a kid I don't know from Adam's housecat and I've already had a long day? My ass is probably out of there. Harsh but honest reality is that I don't give two shits about that kid or what they're doing, with the understanding that I don't give two hoots in hell if someone with the same situation managed to only slip in to see that dance routine and skipped my kid's performance entirely. Seems pretty fair to me {shrug}

As for the bad experience, hell, we could nearly bond over that shit. Had it with not one extracurricular but 2 and nearly to the point of 3. Right down to entire sections not returning due to an bad instructor.

Truth is, aside from maybe football in recent years, our extra curricular successes are virtually all ... how to phrase it here, privately instructed? This year's class (the year after his, cause I just saw the number & happen to know it) has 9 kids out of about 125-130 going onto college sports alone. Every single one of them in a sport where they had private lessons/instructions & succeeded in spite of the lack of sufficient school related support to reach those levels.

So yeah, I totally understand that sort of frustration & I'm sorry for both you and your son that you've had to deal with it. It sucks. Hard.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #16785
21C
College Prospect

We have 8 teachers in our Math department and we take turns writing exams for the different years/groups. Every single time that I write a paper, I get people micromanaging the crap out of it.
"Can you change this 'x squared y' into 'x y squared'?"
"Can you swap Q13 with Q35?"
"Can you change Q22 into an area question?"
Plus another 10+ variations of this.

I finally had a gutful of it and today said "Sure. I'll send you a copy of my Word document so that you can make all of the changes that you like."

"Oh, I don't have time to do that."

"Well . . ."
Old 05-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #16786
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
We have 8 teachers in our Math department and we take turns writing exams for the different years/groups. Every single time that I write a paper, I get people micromanaging the crap out of it.
"Can you change this 'x squared y' into 'x y squared'?"
"Can you swap Q13 with Q35?"
"Can you change Q22 into an area question?"
Plus another 10+ variations of this.

I finally had a gutful of it and today said "Sure. I'll send you a copy of my Word document so that you can make all of the changes that you like."

"Oh, I don't have time to do that."

"Well . . ."

I feel you man.

Two of the guys on my HOA board with me are Statisticians at NKU. One of them is just like that, and he's been on the board longer than I have. We are both nitpicky about things, we butt heads frequently, but also we do the vast majority of the work. It just gets super tedious to get anything done.

Like Steam?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #16787
Suicane75
Coordinator

This isn't PC of me, and is probably even sexist. But I'm very disappointed that I'm no longer attracted to Catherine Keener.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:24 AM   #16788
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
This isn't PC of me, and is probably even sexist. But I'm very disappointed that I'm no longer attracted to Catherine Keener.

You spoke too soon past self, you're still very fond of her.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #16789
molson
General Manager

I'm sure there's a reason for this, but when flying, why is that the checking a bag in an basically unlimited cargo space, in a manner that extends your travel time, costs money, but putting a bag in the limited overhead space, in a manner that gets you home faster, is free? (With a few exceptions depending on airlines).

When you wake up early to start a long day of travel, dutifully ration your liquids and break out the plastic bag, etc, all so you don't have to wait 30+ more minutes at the airport late at night when you're exhausted, it's quite deflating when the attendant makes you check your size-appropriate bag even when there's still room, and then makes it sound like they're doing you a huge favor. ("We'll check that all the way to your final destination!!!" - Thanks, nobody's making a connection in Boise at midnight though.)

I guess the idea is to encourage people to buy the upgraded economy seats that get you on the plane faster and gets you access to the bins. And I would pay a little extra to guarantee my carry-on gets on the plane - like I said, that space is limited to it makes to charge a little for it. But the uncertainty, and the weighing risks v. rewards, and the tone of the script the airline employees tend to use in those situations definitely make traveling a lot more grueling. In this case, if I paid the $80 for the seat with an irrelevant 1 extra inch of legroom and got on the plane earlier, I'd still feel I made the wrong decision after I saw that there was plenty of space in the bins

Last edited by molson : 05-12-2017 at 11:44 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #16790
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
When did they change the recipe for Breath Savers mints?

Proper use of this thread. 10/10
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #16791
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Proper use of this thread. 10/10

I just put the finishing touches on the final component of my wife's (first) Mother's Day gifts and yet this is still my finest achievement of the week.

Last edited by Logan : 05-12-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #16792
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Monday - 4 cigarettes.
Tuesday - 3 cigarettes.
Wednesday - 3 cigarettes.
Thursday - 1 cigarette.
Today - No cigarettes.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #16793
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm sure there's a reason for this, but when flying, why is that the checking a bag in an basically unlimited cargo space, in a manner that extends your travel time, costs money, but putting a bag in the limited overhead space, in a manner that gets you home faster, is free? (With a few exceptions depending on airlines).

When you wake up early to start a long day of travel, dutifully ration your liquids and break out the plastic bag, etc, all so you don't have to wait 30+ more minutes at the airport late at night when you're exhausted, it's quite deflating when the attendant makes you check your size-appropriate bag even when there's still room, and then makes it sound like they're doing you a huge favor. ("We'll check that all the way to your final destination!!!" - Thanks, nobody's making a connection in Boise at midnight though.)

I guess the idea is to encourage people to buy the upgraded economy seats that get you on the plane faster and gets you access to the bins. And I would pay a little extra to guarantee my carry-on gets on the plane - like I said, that space is limited to it makes to charge a little for it. But the uncertainty, and the weighing risks v. rewards, and the tone of the script the airline employees tend to use in those situations definitely make traveling a lot more grueling. In this case, if I paid the $80 for the seat with an irrelevant 1 extra inch of legroom and got on the plane earlier, I'd still feel I made the wrong decision after I saw that there was plenty of space in the bins

Those two things aren't necessarily related.

Bag fees came about in the 2000 aughts as a way to try and increase revenue in a period of declining income and ridership. By decoupling bag fees from the price of a ticket airlines are able to cut their tax obligation. The US govt taxes airlines on the actual cost to transport passengers. Bag fees for one reason or another aren't included in the definition of what is required to carry a passenger. Think fuel, crew costs, maintenence, etc. The income generated from bag fees is substantial and goes directly to the bottom line. Now when this started it helped for a while, but it wasn't enough to keep the airlines afloat. As the practice became standard it became impossible to go away from simply for the income it generated.

Airline crews would love to have all carry-ons outlawed simply because it makes our jobs so much easier, speeds up the boarding and deplaning process and allows for much faster turn times. The whole thing is just so much simpler. Passengers wouldn't mind it as much either, once things got worked out.

There's another reason why, and not specifically related to the other is that the FAA uses a standard weight for passengers and baggage. This might sound bad, but it's the way it is. So the weight that is used for the takeoff weight is based on standard passenger weights and those weights include the weight of baggage that passenger bring in the cabin. Bags that are carried in the cargo hold count against the weight of the plane. Although far from infinite it does allow us to carry more cargo, more passengers or conversely, with less bags to carry down below, the weight is less, and therefore, even if only by a hundred pounds, we can carry less fuel. Less fuel translates into a savings cost and spread that across hundreds of operations per day adds up.

So it's a dollars and cents reason, if it gets people to buy better seats to make sure their bags get on the plane then that's good I guess, but I don't believe that was the primary goal.

Personally, I hate the damn bag sizers and the way that the gate agents have to use them. The problem is that if they don't, then things get backed up even worse because people will not follow the rules on size. An agent should be able to eyeball any bag and know whether or not it's going to fit. The problem is that many of them just don't. They aren't supposed to let inebriated (or hungover, yes, hungover is still not allowed, do you know how many medical emergencies are from hungover passengers?) passengers on the plane, yet they do. You're absolutely right, all that makes things way more stressful for passengers, and just down right maddening.

Like Steam?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #16794
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I just put the finishing touches on the final component of my wife's (first) Mother's Day gifts and yet this is still my finest achievement of the week.

I still remember my Proper Use Of Random Thread award from Quikstand
Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #16795
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah breath savers are now just Wint-o-green Lifesavers that some douche forgot to poke a hole in.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 AM   #16796
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Those two things aren't necessarily related.

Bag fees came about in the 2000 aughts as a way to try and increase revenue in a period of declining income and ridership. By decoupling bag fees from the price of a ticket airlines are able to cut their tax obligation. The US govt taxes airlines on the actual cost to transport passengers. Bag fees for one reason or another aren't included in the definition of what is required to carry a passenger. Think fuel, crew costs, maintenence, etc. The income generated from bag fees is substantial and goes directly to the bottom line. Now when this started it helped for a while, but it wasn't enough to keep the airlines afloat. As the practice became standard it became impossible to go away from simply for the income it generated.

Airline crews would love to have all carry-ons outlawed simply because it makes our jobs so much easier, speeds up the boarding and deplaning process and allows for much faster turn times. The whole thing is just so much simpler. Passengers wouldn't mind it as much either, once things got worked out.

There's another reason why, and not specifically related to the other is that the FAA uses a standard weight for passengers and baggage. This might sound bad, but it's the way it is. So the weight that is used for the takeoff weight is based on standard passenger weights and those weights include the weight of baggage that passenger bring in the cabin. Bags that are carried in the cargo hold count against the weight of the plane. Although far from infinite it does allow us to carry more cargo, more passengers or conversely, with less bags to carry down below, the weight is less, and therefore, even if only by a hundred pounds, we can carry less fuel. Less fuel translates into a savings cost and spread that across hundreds of operations per day adds up.

So it's a dollars and cents reason, if it gets people to buy better seats to make sure their bags get on the plane then that's good I guess, but I don't believe that was the primary goal.

Personally, I hate the damn bag sizers and the way that the gate agents have to use them. The problem is that if they don't, then things get backed up even worse because people will not follow the rules on size. An agent should be able to eyeball any bag and know whether or not it's going to fit. The problem is that many of them just don't. They aren't supposed to let inebriated (or hungover, yes, hungover is still not allowed, do you know how many medical emergencies are from hungover passengers?) passengers on the plane, yet they do. You're absolutely right, all that makes things way more stressful for passengers, and just down right maddening.

Man I typically love our takes here, but to me this one misses the mark by a mile.
1- it ignores the premise that carry on bags do not require paid labor to handle them. So the air lines reduce cost by passengers carrying their own bags.

2- and much more significantly for me. I would gladly pay extra to be allowed to carry a larger bag on. I hate hate hate hate hate hate checking luggage. I've had to check a bag 3x this year while traveling for work. ( very infrequently I have to travel to troubleshoot customer equipment, due to the nature of a till box it has to be checked) 1 time it went great. 1 time the bag, which is a metal sided brief case was dented so severely it couldn't be opened with damaging it and upon opening all my tools were dumped out of mil spec secure compartments. The third time I made my connector, my bag made a if fervent flight, 4 days to find it and get it to me. While I sat in Minneapolis waiting on it. That cost and expense was not reimbursable ...FWIW my tool bag has and replacement value around $23,000...I calculated while we wondered if it would ever find its way home.

You say passengers wouldn't mind it so much, let me tell you how much I mind it. I have to go to Dallas TX next month. I am taking 4 total vacation days, 2 out and 2 back, and driving my personal car with no reimbursement instead of flying. I know this way I can resolve the problem in 5 days.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 05-13-2017 at 01:08 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #16797
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Man I typically love our takes here, but to me this one misses the mark by a mile.
1- it ignores the premise that carry on bags do not require paid labor to handle them. So the air lines reduce cost by passengers carrying their own bags.

2- and much more significantly for me. I would gladly pay extra to be allowed to carry a larger bag on. I hate hate hate hate hate hate checking luggage. I've had to check a bag 3x this year while traveling for work. ( very infrequently I have to travel to troubleshoot customer equipment, due to the nature of a till box it has to be checked) 1 time it went great. 1 time the bag, which is a metal sided brief case was dented so severely it couldn't be opened with damaging it and upon opening all my tools were dumped out of mil spec secure compartments. The third time I made my connector, my bag made a if fervent flight, 4 days to find it and get it to me. While I sat in Minneapolis waiting on it. That cost and expense was not reimbursable ...FWIW my tool bag has and replacement value around $23,000...I calculated while we wondered if it would ever find its way home.

You say passengers wouldn't mind it so much, let me tell you how much I mind it. I have to go to Dallas TX next month. I am taking 4 total vacation days, 2 out and 2 back, and driving my personal car with no reimbursement instead of flying. I know this way I can resolve the problem in 5 days.

1- The ground crew is already cut to a minimal amount, and the number of bags that are saved by carrying on isn't significant. Because that space is going to be filled up by cargo, or if it's not, then there's bound to be another plane where workers are going to be needed. I really don't think that carry on bags make a big difference in the number of ramp workers that the airline has to employ.

2- I wasn't inferring that the airline should ban all carry ons. From my perspective, and the way the operation impacts my job specifically it would be better, but I don't see that ever becoming a wholesale thing. Second, I have no idea how they determine max bag size. Planes and the amount of space in them to carry bags vary widely across fleets. RJ's can or can't handle the standard size. Narrow bodies, like the 757, 737 or 717 might be able to accommodate some of everyone's bags, but not all, and the same for wide bodies, but they may be able to handle more than the narrow bodies can. Airlines can't possibly make everything perfect for every passenger. They can't guarantee that passengers won't be exposed to an allergy inducing illness, or something else. I totally feel for you when you're carrying super expensive items for work, but I still see that as a problem for your work and your job to manage, and not entirely the airlines issue. The airlines are allowing your job to become more efficient than it otherwise would be, but if they can't handle an odd sized, or really heavy item (not saying yours are, 'cause I have no idea) then the passenger needs to think of another option, such as shipping things ahead (or driving as in your case). Just because a very ill passenger who say, just came out of surgery can't really fly. We aren't an ambulance service, just because you can buy a ticket doesn't mean you're entitled to everything that you might need. Employees can't be guaranteed to manage the medical needs the passenger might need. I've definitely seen circumstances where we've carried people that really needed a private jet and doctor care.

If at some point people decide that they need all that stuff again, you're going to see ticket prices go up substantially across the board again. Ticket prices now are 40% lower (inflation adjusted) than they were back in the 70's, but if the government demands that we return to those days, you'll see those ticket prices go right back to those levels.

Like Steam?

Old 05-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #16798
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Getting old is 50% wondering why your back hurts and 50% being angry at prices.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #16799
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Getting old is 50% wondering why your back hurts and 50% being angry at prices.

What about 50% telling the kids to turn their crap off?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #16800
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What about 50% pontificating that music was better when you were young?