Calvin and Hobbes
MotoTorch LED
Ebay
Free Dictionary Org

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #52
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

I'd throw Yelp into the mix of cool and helpful apps. It'll direct you to nearby restaurants, bars, banks, gas stations, drug stores, etc based upon your current GPS location.

As an example, we were driving a couple of weeks ago on the PA turnpike, in between Harrisburg and Philly...and my 6 y/o daughter wanted McDonalds. My wife just put McDonalds into the Yelp search bar and it directed us to the closest McD's at the next exit.

Last edited by pbot : 07-13-2010 at 09:04 PM.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #53
DanGarion
Coordinator

I just a Droid X in replacement of my iPhone 3G. Love it so far. Glad to be rid of Appleware.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #54
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Out of pure developer interest - can people who have android phones please post which apps they've purchased and which ones they've downloaded as freebies (just interested to see if the reluctance to purchase apps on Android which is widely reported is reflected here or not).

I haven't purchased anything on Android because they don't let you purchase through checkout with a Google Apps account. Google needs to get their head out of their ass with Google Apps accounts and stop dicking us around.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #55
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I have yet to purchase any apps, but here's my list of freebies:

Antivirus
Calvin and Hobbes
Colornote
Documents to Go
Goggles
Jorte
NFL Mobile
Pandora
Screebl Lite
Shazam
Slacker
Weather Channel
The Hockey News
Urbanspoon

Now whether I actually use these consistently is another question. I also have yet to see anything out there that would really get me to buy it, but I'm willing to be persuaded if there's an app that would be worth it.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #56
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Just got an LG Ally last weekend.

Advanced Task Killer
Weather Channel
NYTimes (this one roxors)
Laputa (book reader with free books available)
Pandora
Toss It (stupid quick game)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #57
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Just got an LG Ally last weekend.

Advanced Task Killer
Weather Channel
NYTimes (this one roxors)
Laputa (book reader with free books available)
Pandora
Toss It (stupid quick game)

I've got Ally and love it.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #58
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

As an iPhone user I was excited to check out my MIL's droid phone this past weekend. She is not a big fan, but I said "Why? I have heard great things about it." She just can't figure out a lot of the option.

So, I played around for an hour with it, and I have to say it is not the most user friendly phone at all.

Anyway, I tried to get her an ebook reader. When I went to Amazon or B&N's websites there were links to download their ereader, but clicking on those links just brought up a message saying the app was unavailable.

Can anybody tell me how to get a good ereader onto a Droid phone??

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #59
lungs
Pro Rookie

Go to the Market and and download Kindle of Android
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #60
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Go to the Market and and download Kindle of Android

See,that is just it. I went to the market, did a search for 'Kindle' and nothing came up. It was the first thing I tried and assumed it would just show up.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #61
lungs
Pro Rookie

Hmmm, I just did a search and it showed up??
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #62
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Hmmm, I just did a search and it showed up??

F'n Droids! Glad I have an iPhone!

Just kidding, thanks for the help. I'll try to mess with it again next time I see her.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #63
molson
General Manager

I wish I could get one of these crazy Droid phones - I hate my stupid replacement Verizon phone I got on ebay after another one broke, and my contract isn't up until 3/11, and new every two discount isn't until 11/10.

Anybody ever have any luck going to a Verizon store, sweet-talking the staff, offering massages or whatever, and getting discount pricing when they weren't eligible for the upgrade?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #64
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I've been hit or miss. Most times I never pushed it, but it worked for my Motorola Droid. But I was only a week away from upgrade so I'm sure that played a major role. I just told them that my current phone was trashed and that being so close to my upgrade I was not wanting to use a claim on my insurance.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #65
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I forgot to take my Nook to work today. The Nook for Android worked like a champ on my phone.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #66
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Just downloaded two games.

1) Wordfeud - It's a scrabble game where you can play multiplayer. Words With Friends anybody? Haven't tried it yet but if anybody is interested my name on it is homan9118

2) Pocket Empires - I don't know what you call these types of games but you build yourself a city, gain resources, etc. Check in every couple hours, or whenever, to see how your buildings are going and what not.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 08-05-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #67
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone tried the EA FIFA game on the droid yet? Saw it in the list but haven't dl'd it, was wondering if it was worth it or if EA was just trying to cash in some more.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #68
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Has anyone tried the EA FIFA game on the droid yet? Saw it in the list but haven't dl'd it, was wondering if it was worth it or if EA was just trying to cash in some more.

Yes.

As long as you return it within 24 hrs (the first time you download it) you don't get charged for it, which is what I did. The game itself was ok, I just realized I wouldn't have the patience to stick with it and get good enough to suceed with the on screen joystick control. So I returned it for the refund.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #69
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well as you may have read, I purchased an HTC Incredible today. It's an alright device (what really swayed me was that Verizon still has unlimited data, compared to AT&T's 2 gig cap), though I am disenchanted with the music interface (so I'll be keeping my iPod, but will use it for Pandora). But what I really need is an application for storing passwords. On the iPod Touch, I use 1Password, though it's not really available as a stand-alone for Android. I don't mind paying for an app, but it needs to be good. Any suggestions, please?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #70
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
On the Incredible, it was easy to set up once I got the appropriate settings from our IT people at work. I love how easy it is to switch between my different email accounts.

How do you "switch between email accounts"?

One thing that drives me nuts is that the damn phone pulled in all my gmail contacts into my phone book. Most of them, I never call (and rarely email), then went to go pull their info from Facebook. I can't figure out how to get rid of them from the phone book. Same thing with the Calendar, it pulled in all my friends birthdays from Facebook (completely irrelevant and unacceptable to me, my calendar is clogged enough without that kind of shit). Anyway to fix either of those stupid things? And to not have it tell me everytime it does something?

/tk
Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #71
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
I think I just figured out how to undo the Facebook stuff from my calendar. Man that irritated me. Now to figure out how to undo it from the phone book.

/tk
Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #72
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
How do you "switch between email accounts"?

One thing that drives me nuts is that the damn phone pulled in all my gmail contacts into my phone book. Most of them, I never call (and rarely email), then went to go pull their info from Facebook. I can't figure out how to get rid of them from the phone book. Same thing with the Calendar, it pulled in all my friends birthdays from Facebook (completely irrelevant and unacceptable to me, my calendar is clogged enough without that kind of shit). Anyway to fix either of those stupid things? And to not have it tell me everytime it does something?

/tk

Hit the little down arrow key in the upper left corner of the screen and it gives an option to switch email accounts.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #73
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Well as you may have read, I purchased an HTC Incredible today. It's an alright device (what really swayed me was that Verizon still has unlimited data, compared to AT&T's 2 gig cap), though I am disenchanted with the music interface (so I'll be keeping my iPod, but will use it for Pandora). But what I really need is an application for storing passwords. On the iPod Touch, I use 1Password, though it's not really available as a stand-alone for Android. I don't mind paying for an app, but it needs to be good. Any suggestions, please?

/tk
Lastpass!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #74
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Angry Birds beta is available!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #75
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Password app = Keeper by Callpod
Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #76
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Just downloaded two games.

1) Wordfeud - It's a scrabble game where you can play multiplayer. Words With Friends anybody? Haven't tried it yet but if anybody is interested my name on it is homan9118

2) Pocket Empires - I don't know what you call these types of games but you build yourself a city, gain resources, etc. Check in every couple hours, or whenever, to see how your buildings are going and what not.

I picked up WordFeud Free and challenged you.

Anybody else can challenge me, terpkristin

Also, if you're in the FOFC chess stuff, Chess.com has a free app you can play on your android (or iPhone).

/tk
Old 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #77
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So my wife gave up on trading in her Treo Pro every few months for a working one and got the Samsung Epic 4G (though we don't have 4G here) yesterday. I am a Palm Pre/webOS guy but I must say, after playing with it I was tempted to get one myself. The hardware is amazing, mainly that is such a beautiful 4.0 inch AMOLED screen. I think she will like it but I mainly just need to get things set up to her liking before she decides she doesn't like it. She has already started to warm up to an on-screen keyboard, something she always insisted she wouldn't do, though having the hardware to fall back on to type helps. Android kind of blows in multiple things but it's a huge upgrade from her Treo Pro with Win 6.1 IMO, so I am going to work hard to convince her this is a good phone for her.

Posting in here though because I will be looking for some apps for her. She has always insisted she would never use apps and has no need for them. I always insisted that's because with her Treo's they were never just a few easy taps away. Already downloaded a couple widgets for her (although the need for a battery percentage widget is dumb to me but that is one of my problems with Android right there). Will keep an eye on this thread now for some decent apps to get her.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #78
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I came across this article the other day and wasn't sure what to make of it. Lifehacker isn't exactly my "go to" source for tech type stories, but the reasoning seems sound. Anybody know more about this type of stuff who could weigh in? Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

Also I came across this article and am actually moderately concerned about the datamining, but short of being careful, I'm not sure what can be done. Any thoughts? What's that Android app doing with my data? | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

/tk

P.S. I think the Incredible I got was a buggy one. Going to take it to the Verizon store this weekend and hope they'll exchange it for a new one.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #79
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The Twitter and Facebook apps were updated today and make them much more like their iOS counterparts; they're now a lot more polished, a lot smoother, a lot quicker (at least, Twitter is).

Now if only some other app makers would do the same...

/tk
Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #80
Ryan S
Quarterback

My favorite twitter app on android is Tweetdeck. If I could configure the appearance it would be perfect as I like to color code some of the people I follow.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #81
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I get my android discussion fix from the xda-developers forums. Great place for apps, widgets, themes, custom roms, etc.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant for T-Mobile, and I'm loving it! Anyways, here's my list of apps:

Social:
TweetCaster (Twitter app)
Handcent (sms app)

Customization/Theme:
Beautiful Widgets (paid)
Agenda Widget
BattStatt
Folder Organizer
LauncherPro
Zedge
AudioManager Console

Advanced Customization:
SetCPU
MetaMorph
ROM Manager
SuperManager
Ti Backup
Terminal Emulator
SGS Tools
ASTRO
One Click Lag Fix
CacheMate

Travel/Places:
Kayak
Google Earth
HotelsByMe
Trip Advisor
TripIt
UrbanSpoon
Yelp

Shopping:
Amazon
Barcode Scanner
Best Buy
Craigslist
eBay
Grocery IQ (grocery shopping list)
Groupon
TipMe (tip calculator)

News/Sports
AP Mobile
NFL Mobile
ESPN ScoreCenter
ScoreMobile
Weather Channel
USA Today

Entertainment:
IMDb
Movies
YouTube

Games:
Angry Birds
HomerunBattle3D (free version only)
Real Blackjack
Robo Defense (free)
Scrambled Net
Unblock Me Free
WordFeud Free (user: RobOrdona)
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #82
DanGarion
Coordinator

Double Twist with Air Sync, you'll never have to connect your phone to your computer again to sync music, pictures, etc.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #83
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm thinking of getting a Motorola Charm in the near future. I've seen some sites that say it's possible to get itunes on it, has anyone tried that? For those who haven't, what do you use to play mp3s?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #84
DanGarion
Coordinator

Runkeeper Pro is free on both Andriod and iOS markets for the month, usually $10.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #85
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Runkeeper Pro is free on both Andriod and iOS markets for the month, usually $10.

Awesome! thanks! i have used the free version for a couple of days and it's nice, will upgrade now.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #86
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The Xfinity app is okay for anyone with Comcast. It still has some growing pains but they are improving it as it goes. Can access my email and my voicemail and I have access to my DVR's so I can setup a recording if I forgot to before I left the house.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #87
Ramzavail
College Starter

I'm thinking about getting the Droid Pro today, anybody have that?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #88
Izulde
Head Coach

Finally got a smartphone yesterday and picked up the Droid Incredible. I played around with a friend of mine's Google Nexus One and really liked it, so I went to look for it on Verizon, only to discover Google said the N1 wasn't coming to Verizon and to get the Droid Incredible instead.

Only owned it a day or so thus far, but I love it. Great speakers on it when I played YouTube videos while making lunch. Phone quality is good, too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:08 AM   #89
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Just picked up the Samsung Galaxy S Mesmerize for US Cellular (same as the Fascinate for Verizon). I'm in freakin love.

I've had a BBerry for the past 6 years or so, and don't get me wrong, I can complain very little about my Curve. With that said, no real comparison...just two completely different types of phones.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 01-18-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #90
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola,
I think I just figured out how to undo the Facebook stuff from my calendar. Man that irritated me. Now to figure out how to undo it from the phone book.

/tk

Did you ever figure this out? Just got a Droid X and hate this part too
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #91
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

If I remember correctly there was some setting either in the general settings or in the calendar itself or maybe it was in the Facebook settings (seriously, how many places can they stick settings!) where I had to tell it not to look at Facebook for events and birthdays. It was buried and obscure.

To remove it from syncing with my phone book, I had to uninstall Facebook, then re-install it, but before it did any synchronizing, I had to manually go into the Facebook sync settings and tell it NOT to sync with my contacts. Same with Twitter. I asked the people at the Verizon store if there was any other way to do it, short of uninstalling and re-installing and IMMEDIATELY telling it not to do dumb shit like that and they said no, it's the only way. They agreed it was ridiculous.

/tk
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #92
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
If I remember correctly there was some setting either in the general settings or in the calendar itself or maybe it was in the Facebook settings (seriously, how many places can they stick settings!) where I had to tell it not to look at Facebook for events and birthdays. It was buried and obscure.

To remove it from syncing with my phone book, I had to uninstall Facebook, then re-install it, but before it did any synchronizing, I had to manually go into the Facebook sync settings and tell it NOT to sync with my contacts. Same with Twitter. I asked the people at the Verizon store if there was any other way to do it, short of uninstalling and re-installing and IMMEDIATELY telling it not to do dumb shit like that and they said no, it's the only way. They agreed it was ridiculous.

/tk

ok dumb follow up question....how do I uninstall apps.
The fold out map doesn't tell me jack squat on how to do anything on this phone.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #93
SnDvls
Pro Starter

dola - should add....I'm really enjoying it though
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #94
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
The fold out map doesn't tell me jack squat on how to do anything on this phone.

Um I think it might vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. But I remember on the not-so-incredible there was something in settings for applications. and that's where you could uninstall items, or move them to the SD card.

I also think the "automatic sync" stuff varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. I was SOOOOO annoyed that I didn't get options to tell Facebook (and Twitter and GMail) not to auto-sync with my phone contacts and events. But my dad said that on his phone (some LG thing), a popup prompted him.

I got nothing.

/tk
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #95
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post

On HTC phones you go to Settings - Applications - Manage Applications to uninstall apps or to move them to the SD card.

You can also download dedicated uninstaller apps from the android market
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #96
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
On HTC phones you go to Settings - Applications - Manage Applications to uninstall apps or to move them to the SD card.

I use AppRemover, and it's pretty straight forward. Open App. Choose App to remove. Click OK. Uninstalled.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #97
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

thanks got it
Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #98
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Um I think it might vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. But I remember on the not-so-incredible there was something in settings for applications. and that's where you could uninstall items, or move them to the SD card.

I also think the "automatic sync" stuff varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. I was SOOOOO annoyed that I didn't get options to tell Facebook (and Twitter and GMail) not to auto-sync with my phone contacts and events. But my dad said that on his phone (some LG thing), a popup prompted him.

I got nothing.

/tk

the Verizon guy set mine up so I never got asked the question....I'll uninstall and re-install and see then let everyone else here know what happened.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #99
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Anyone else have a solution to this issue-

I've got a Galaxy S (Vibrant on TMobile).

I HATE the conversation view of texting. I have the option to switch between conversation view and folder view (inbox, outbox, etc). But, when I change it, 20 minutes later back to conversation (default) view. No option to save a view choice.

Along with this, I've had this happen, randomly.

Texting person (contact) A. Say 4-5 messages, back and forth.
Then I'll go to respond again. While I am looking at the conversation between me an A, the top of the thread shows person (contact) B. If I type in the message and send, it actually goes to person B. Person B was last texted days ago...but randomly they are "selected" for this one message.

Irritating.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #100
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Anyone else have a solution to this issue-

I've got a Galaxy S (Vibrant on TMobile).

I HATE the conversation view of texting. I have the option to switch between conversation view and folder view (inbox, outbox, etc). But, when I change it, 20 minutes later back to conversation (default) view. No option to save a view choice.

Along with this, I've had this happen, randomly.

Texting person (contact) A. Say 4-5 messages, back and forth.
Then I'll go to respond again. While I am looking at the conversation between me an A, the top of the thread shows person (contact) B. If I type in the message and send, it actually goes to person B. Person B was last texted days ago...but randomly they are "selected" for this one message.

Irritating.
Not sure about the first issue, but the second issue sounds like a bug in Android I've seen reported on Engadget and Google finally admitted to recently. Here's the latest info on the text bug: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/a...ixes-detailed/

Last edited by rjolley : 01-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote