Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
spleen1015
Coordinator

Official 2021-2022 College Basketball thread

Didn't see this when I did a search.

Season kicks off tonight with a few decent games worth watching.

Coach K's final year! Duke wins it all!

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Interested to see how Indiana does under a new regime. I think the Hoosiers will definitely play a more enjoyable style of basketball under Coach Woodson.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am really looking forward to this season. Not for any particular team or player, I just miss the game of college basketball.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am really looking forward to this season. Not for any particular team or player, I just miss the game of college basketball.

Same. I enjoy college football, but I can watch college basketball every day of the season. Brings back great memories.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm interested to see if Coach Cal can turn it around or this is the season where he finally exits. UK should he good (again) but was losing for most of the 1st half against Miles College in its final exhibition.

Curious how FSU is able to pull together an almost entirely new team of high ranked signees and transfers. Really wish Balsa had not gone pro yet.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-09-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

We’re hitting some threes. That’s a change.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is on tonight at 9. Im staying up and watching. Curious to see who starts and what the rotation looks like.
Losing Garza and Weiskamp is big. But we do have some pretty good young guys. i

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have decent expectations for Kansas this year. I don't think we have any elite top-20-in-college-hoops talent but it seems like we have a ton of guys in the 20-200 range. Let's see how that shakes out.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
tarcone
Coordinator

Watching Iowa's women right now. They have 2 players on all 3 POY watch list. They are ranked 9

Old 11-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #10
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Watching Iowa's women right now. They have 2 players on all 3 POY watch list. They are ranked 9

that's exciting
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:08 PM   #11
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
that's exciting

It is. I should have mentioned that they are both Sophomores.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We’re hitting some threes. That’s a change.

Not an impressive second half as we let Eastern Michigan get back into it and make it scary at the end. But at least we won, I s'pose. Three point average dropped back to our normal range (sad).
Old 11-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have watched parts of 2 games tonight and have seen 4 flop warnings. Looks like this is going to be the big emphasis this year....
Old 11-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't want to be that guy already and I know it won't stop but. Can we please discuss how the players play and will play in college ball and not what their projection will be in the pro game? If we can't stop completely, can we at least wait until near the end of conference play? Geez.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #15
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I have watched parts of 2 games tonight and have seen 4 flop warnings. Looks like this is going to be the big emphasis this year....

If I am a ref, it would be bad enough if a pro like James Harden fools me into buying a flop, but a college kid? Nah!
Old 11-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

At least for the first month. Then it goes back to fouls getting called on flops.

SI

Old 11-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #17
miami_fan
Coordinator

Unpopular opinion alert.

I am not ready to not hear Dickie V broadcasting college basketball.

I don't want him to be a part of the #1 announcing crew for college basketball. I want him to have a role like Bill Walton. Put him on a ACC game one night of the week and the game before the GameDay game on Saturday. That would be great for me.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #18
tarcone
Coordinator

I like Dickie V.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:33 PM   #19
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I sympathize with both sides of the Dickie V debate.

Should be an exciting year. I did not expect Michigan to have Dickinson back, really surprised that he got the 'yeah, you're not ready yet' treatment from the pros. Shows once again how little I know about what players will be able to make the jump to the NBA. I still think Michigan is overrated though. I'll be surprised, as young as they are and as good as Howard appears to be as a coach, if they repeat as Big Ten champs. With all the 'super seniors' there's going to be more stacked teams than usual.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:59 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can't stand him as a broadcaster, but by all accounts he is a great human and I don't want to see him go out like this
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:24 PM   #21
tarcone
Coordinator

This Iowa offense looks legit to me and we start 3 really long 6' 9" dudes, which I hope makes our defense better

Old 11-09-2021, 10:29 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

KY looks like crap but I feel like they always do then gel around the conference tournament.

My Huskies also look like hell. Firing Romar was a mistake. Hopkins isn't the guy for the job.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:54 AM   #23
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
KY looks like crap but I feel like they always do then gel around the conference tournament.

My Huskies also look like hell. Firing Romar was a mistake. Hopkins isn't the guy for the job.

An outright loss as a 19.5 point favorite isnt a great start to year 5 of the Hopkins era.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:05 AM   #24
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This might be the first fall Saturday in recorded history where the Longhorns basketball team gets more interest in their game than the football team.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'll be keeping an eye on Washington this season, as they picked up a transfer from WVU in Emmitt Matthews. He was sort of a surprise transfer, as he endured one of our worst years and has been a starter on the past two teams that were pretty good (actually, he was a three year starter). Huggins seemed to like him and he was getting a lot of playing time. The word that I heard when he left is that he thought he should be 'featured' more offensively.

He's a guy that will break your heart because he's really athletic and hustles, but seems to have a knack for messing up at inopportune times and completely disappearing at others. For example, in our NCAA game last year (got upset as a 3-seed by #11 Syracuse by 3 points) and some of the Big 12 tournament games, there were multiple times when he would work his ass off getting offensive rebounds and then miss uncontested put backs. He was highly regarded out of high school and sort of fell in our lap. He had been committed to UConn but signed with us after Kevin Ollie got fired.

Anyway, that was more info than I intended, but he was easy to root for because he stuck it out during one of our worst seasons in memory and was sort of poised to be a leader now that we are pretty good again and then transferred out. Hopefully, he can put he package all together and have a good season for the Huskies.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #26
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This might be the first fall Saturday in recorded history where the Longhorns basketball team gets more interest in their game than the football team.

At first glance I saw all the players they lost, but then I saw all of the impact transfers they brought in. They are loaded with depth.

Marcus Carr is a gamechanger.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #27
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'll be keeping an eye on Washington this season, as they picked up a transfer from WVU in Emmitt Matthews. He was sort of a surprise transfer, as he endured one of our worst years and has been a starter on the past two teams that were pretty good (actually, he was a three year starter). Huggins seemed to like him and he was getting a lot of playing time. The word that I heard when he left is that he thought he should be 'featured' more offensively.

He's a guy that will break your heart because he's really athletic and hustles, but seems to have a knack for messing up at inopportune times and completely disappearing at others. For example, in our NCAA game last year (got upset as a 3-seed by #11 Syracuse by 3 points) and some of the Big 12 tournament games, there were multiple times when he would work his ass off getting offensive rebounds and then miss uncontested put backs. He was highly regarded out of high school and sort of fell in our lap. He had been committed to UConn but signed with us after Kevin Ollie got fired.

Anyway, that was more info than I intended, but he was easy to root for because he stuck it out during one of our worst seasons in memory and was sort of poised to be a leader now that we are pretty good again and then transferred out. Hopefully, he can put he package all together and have a good season for the Huskies.

If first indications are a good indicator, he was awful last night.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #28
molson
General Manager

Syracuse and the Boeheim brothers will be fun if they can do anything this year. I kind of assumed that the older one who transferred in from Cornell for his senior season wouldn't be a big contributor, but at least in the the first of their traditional smaller northeast school pre-conference schedule, they both played 25+ minutes and scored 18 points.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #29
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Obviously, you are closer to that situation that I am but I don't think it was a mistake to fire Romar. He was mid conference at best for the last five years he was there and no NCAAs in the last six. Once you go down the route of hiring the father of the arguably best player in the country, you have to produce conference titles and deep tournament runs. He did neither.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #30
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

lolz texASS is teH sUcK!
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Obviously, you are closer to that situation that I am but I don't think it was a mistake to fire Romar. He was mid conference at best for the last five years he was there and no NCAAs in the last six. Once you go down the route of hiring the father of the arguably best player in the country, you have to produce conference titles and deep tournament runs. He did neither.

Romar was a great recruiter. He put tons of guys in the league. They should have kept him and hired someone as a game manager.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #32
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
If first indications are a good indicator, he was awful last night.

I didn't watch the game, but saw his line. 2/12 from the field and 1/4 from 3-point range. Sounds like he was "featured" offensively and it didn't work out too well. He's one of those guys that could probably be a defensive stopper, get 8-10 points on putbacks/FTs/short jumpers and be a really efficient player, but sees himself as more.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #33
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I didn't watch the game, but saw his line. 2/12 from the field and 1/4 from 3-point range. Sounds like he was "featured" offensively and it didn't work out too well. He's one of those guys that could probably be a defensive stopper, get 8-10 points on putbacks/FTs/short jumpers and be a really efficient player, but sees himself as more.

He's a local kid, went to school 15 minutes from my house, so I always wanted to see him do well. However, he was constantly our worst defender during his time in Morgantown. He was poorly coached growing up because his defensive instincts and off the ball defense are horrendous and that's probably too kind. His on/off defensive numbers were shockingly bad and if you keyed on him during games he was consistently losing his man in transition, getting lost in screens, ect.

The athleticism is there and by all accounts is a great kid. He's one you want to see do well, but I wasn't sad to see him leave. He hurt us more than he helped us on the floor and Huggs/Harrison had a crush on him and continued to hand him minutes he hadn't earned.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:03 PM   #34
MrBug708
Head Coach

UW men's basketball's only hope is Mike Hopkins punching a player
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #35
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Coach K's final year! Duke wins it all!

Huuuuuubie!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #36
Ksyrup

Watching FSU basketball almost makes up for what the FB team has become. Almost. Leonard Hamilton is some sort of savant at getting kids in 2021 to buy into the team concept and playing 40 minutes of unrelenting D.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #37
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Hamilton is my favorite basketball coach, probably favorite coach period. I could care less about FSU but root for their hoops team because of him. Really want to see him at a Final Four before he's done.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-11-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #38
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Hamilton is my favorite basketball coach, probably favorite coach period. I could care less about FSU but root for their hoops team because of him. Really want to see him at a Final Four before he's done.

Agreed with every word of this.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #39
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

How does CJ Frederick fit in?

Old 11-17-2021, 06:11 AM   #40
tarcone
Coordinator

Heard Frederick is out for the season.

Iowa beat NC Central but struggled. The weakness that has always been under FM showed up, no perimeter defense. Keegan Murray had 27 points and 21 rebounds and 4 blocks. He is a stud sophomore.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Heard Frederick is out for the season.

Surgery coming up this week for a new hamstring injury, very likely done for the year according to reports out of Lexington
Old 11-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #42
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Juwan Howard signs an extension through '25, and Michigan loses a close one to a good Seton Hall team. This is a young team, so I'm not that surprised by the loss. How quickly the young players grow and how good the freshmen end up being is very much an open question.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:52 PM   #43
tarcone
Coordinator

If you like the 3, you should have watched Iowa tonight. Jordan Bohannon set the B1G all time 3 points made record and Iowa set their team record of 3s made with 20.

Keegan Murray is a flat out stud, 24 tonight. His twin brother had 14 points and 7 rebounds.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #44
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I like Jordan. He invited me to his 30th birthday party this upcoming weekend.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:46 PM   #45
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I like Jordan. He invited me to his 30th birthday party this upcoming weekend.

Sure it wasnt hi 45th?

Old 11-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #46
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Mercy
Old 11-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #47
miami_fan
Coordinator

I really enjoyed watching the game last night but JFC I need to stop doing that shit.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:15 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

lol @ KU

SI

Old 11-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #49
Ksyrup

I had no idea they were still making Chets in the 2000s.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #50
spleen1015
Coordinator

Duke/Gonzaga was a great game, close from start to finish.