Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2022, 09:41 AM   #3501
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I know everyone has their own priorities, etc., but I just don't know how people have the time for so much TV. We still have a DVR full of entire seasons of shows we haven't started yet from last year, just trying to get through older stuff first. I have a bunch of stuff on Netflix I'd watch if we could get through the 500GB on the DVR.

Then again, binging TV (unless it's live sports) is not something I've ever done or want to do. I suppose if I spent entire weekends, 20 hours-ish, I could get through a good bit of stuff.

Maybe once the last kid is out of the house next fall, we can finally catch-up and I can think about watching episodes/series when they come out, instead of months (or years) later.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-06-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #3502
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Or they just decided to take it into a different direction. I loved it.

Agreed. Yeah, the coach beard episode was a waste IMHO but the rest of the season was just as good as the first. Nate
Spoiler
sets up season 3 and I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by Sweed : 01-06-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:51 AM   #3503
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I know everyone has their own priorities, etc., but I just don't know how people have the time for so much TV. We still have a DVR full of entire seasons of shows we haven't started yet from last year, just trying to get through older stuff first. I have a bunch of stuff on Netflix I'd watch if we could get through the 500GB on the DVR.

Then again, binging TV (unless it's live sports) is not something I've ever done or want to do. I suppose if I spent entire weekends, 20 hours-ish, I could get through a good bit of stuff.

Maybe once the last kid is out of the house next fall, we can finally catch-up and I can think about watching episodes/series when they come out, instead of months (or years) later.

We can get in about 2 episodes of a show once the kids are in bed, grab a cocktail, etc...That puts us in bed by about 11:00.

My oldest is 11 so there are certain shows we can watch with him around that helps. Up until recently when they fled south for the winter my in laws used to have the kids sleep over about 2X a month. We would usually door dash and binge something that night or the next morning.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:07 PM   #3504
Ksyrup

I thought through it and there's just not that much time for sitting down and actually paying attention to a show. At least right now. That's going to change once we become empty-nesters.

It goes like this...

Summer, both kids are typically home and stay up late, so if we're not out doing something, we're all sitting in the family room watching something (sports, GSN, something we all will watch) while we each are doing our own thing, or maybe playing cards together, until about 10pm. Then Michelle and I go back to our bedroom and watch the 10pm news, then she usually reads and quickly falls asleep.

Fall/Winter, it's football season so that eliminates Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday nights for the most part. In November, high school basketball starts so throw in 2-4 games a week that keep us busy at night until the end of February. When we have a quiet night, we will usually watch DVR shows from about 8:30 or 9 until 10, then it's the news and same routine as above.

Spring, basketball transitions to softball in mid-March so again, limited nights at home to watch TV.

I can't think of a single time we watched a DVR show together in the middle of a Saturday or Sunday, so it's just those 60-90 minute slots on nights we happen to be home when we can watch the shows that are piling up on the DVR. Even though the technology has changed, our viewing habits (primetime) haven't. *shurg*
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-06-2022, 12:11 PM   #3505
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife will watch NFL with me, so all day Sunday we have either Giants or Red Zone. I usually watch the 12 Huskies games by myself.

Otherwise I watch all my sports, including about every Mets game, on my laptop while we watch whatever random shows, so I am usually multitasking.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:09 PM   #3506
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

We put our son to bed around 7:45p. So we have a few hours of hanging out afterwards. My wife goes to bed around 9:30p (she's a teacher) and I usually stay up to around midnight. So I have plenty of hours to watch TV.

My wife isn't a fan of any sports, so if I have a game on (usually soccer), its on a second screen while we're watching something else.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:19 AM   #3507
Edward64
Head Coach

Started watching For All Mankind on Apple.

Interesting premise that got me asking about the Soviet program to the Moon. Apparently the Soviets had an unmanned lander that crashed same time as the US landed on the moon. Also, in their Soyuz program (equivalent to Apollo), a cosmonaut in Soyuz 1 died cursing the program/people as his capsule burnt up as it fell back to earth.

Getting back to the show ... it's kept my interest as an alternate reality/dimension. Also like how all the astronauts drive vintage corvettes (love the 1964 and 1965 look).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:28 PM   #3508
Kodos
Resident Alien

The wife and I both enjoyed the new season of Dexter.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:53 PM   #3509
thesloppy
Pro Starter

So, I'm watching this Boba Fett show and it's everything we always wanted: Boba Fett is remarkably old & soft, he is super kind to all of his enemies, he has a teen gang with multi-colored scooters that saved him from a wookie-skunk, and he desperately wants to comfort a depressed Rancor. What in THEE fuck??
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-13-2022 at 05:03 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #3510
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rancors are like Pit Bulls apparently. It's all in how they're raised.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:22 AM   #3511
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mare of Easttown was so good. Not an easy watch, but certainly a worthwhile one. Exactly the right length. Wouldn’t want a second more or less.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:05 AM   #3512
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched Tom Hanks "Greyhound" on Apple TV.

About a WW2 destroyers defending a convoy from a wolfpack. Assuming they leveraged some scenes from real life, there were a couple that I didn't know had happened as part of "combat".
Old 01-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #3513
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

About a WW2 destroyers defending a convoy from a wolfpack. Assuming they leveraged some scenes from real life, there were a couple that I didn't know had happened as part of "combat".

This looks good and I'm surprised I had not heard of it before. But I'll watch any WW2 movie and especially one with Tom Hanks.

Saw Midway the other day on TV. For a recent movie, the special effects were pretty bad. Enjoyed it mostly but for a budget that size, I thought it would look much better.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:22 PM   #3514
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
So, I'm watching this Boba Fett show and it's everything we always wanted: Boba Fett is remarkably old & soft, he is super kind to all of his enemies, he has a teen gang with multi-colored scooters that saved him from a wookie-skunk, and he desperately wants to comfort a depressed Rancor. What in THEE fuck??

I just logged in because I wanted to tell somebody that the Boba Fett show feels like just stupid, lazy derivative storytelling. In the speeder chase, we got a great big heaping of fan-service with a C-3PO clone, an R2 clone, the robots from the Phantom Menace, aliens from Jabba's band...

It just feels like they're throwing tropes at us in place of doing anything interesting. Hey, remember *this* alien costume? Remember *this* droid? Remember *this* speeder? Look, there's a rancor, remember those? (Oh, and Machete, because we're directed by Robert Rodriguez.)

I just...the Mandalorian felt campy at times, but in a fun sort of way. The Boba Fett show just feels like a wasted opportunity. My SO just said it reminded her of a Star Wars episode of the Power Rangers...and now I can't get that out of my head.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:53 PM   #3515
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know it's the "Book of Boba Fett" but hopefully they elaborate some on Fennec. It's not like she's some shit character either, she's been a bounty hunter since the Clone Wars.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:43 AM   #3516
Edward64
Head Coach

I agree Boba Fett is not as "fun" to watch but its not hardship to watch it. Better than 80+% of Netflix and Prime shows IMO.

I appreciate the additional backstory to him, Fennec, learning more about the Tusken Raiders etc. and in general, the world of Star Wars.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:47 AM   #3517
Edward64
Head Coach

Saw Eternals on Disney+.

It was okay. Some great special effects, good action etc. but the story line of "why they exists" seems BS to me. Overly and unnecessarily complicates MCU, not my favorite characters but whatever.

FWIW, Angela Jolie < Gal Gadot.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #3518
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love The Mandalorian. Love it.

I was onboard with Boba Fett for the first two episodes. The second one, I thought, was particularly good. The third one, however, this most recent one was a complete dud. It was weird. The action sequences were terrible (unlike the train sequence from the second episode which was excellent) and it’s unclear why Boba Fett would even want to be a crime lord, since he seems to have zero interest in crime. That’s fine, if that’s the story you want to tell - his redemptive arc or what have you, but that’s not what seemed to be served up.

He still looks sweet in that armor though.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #3519
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Somehow blitzed 5 episodes of The Flight Attendant last night and it's really good. HBO Max.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #3520
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Flight Attendant was pretty good. We just finished another HBO Max show - Station 11 which was fantastic. It's not as good as the book, IMO, but it decided to do it's own thing and it really worked well.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:36 PM   #3521
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Saw Eternals on Disney+.

It was okay. Some great special effects, good action etc. but the story line of "why they exists" seems BS to me. Overly and unnecessarily complicates MCU, not my favorite characters but whatever.

FWIW, Angela Jolie < Gal Gadot.

My son was watching, and I didn't realize this was an MCU property I evaluated the plot and acting for fifteen minutes and Dismissed it as another lame DC play for a successful comic movie. I thought it was a step in the right direction, for DC. WHEN I learned it was Marvel, it can only be classified as disappointing..
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #3522
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching clips of America's Got Talent and am suffering from depression knowing I didn't get any of God's gifts for special talent.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:11 PM   #3523
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This looks good and I'm surprised I had not heard of it before. But I'll watch any WW2 movie and especially one with Tom Hanks.

Saw Midway the other day on TV. For a recent movie, the special effects were pretty bad. Enjoyed it mostly but for a budget that size, I thought it would look much better.

Just saw "Greyhound". It's good if you like a realistic, day-in-the-life during WWII combat. Feels like they took a real story and put it on the screen which I love, but I don't want anyone to expect a crafted, Hollywood 3-act story (as I kinda did when
Spoiler
).
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:25 PM   #3524
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

finally trying squid game. it's so weird that bizarre horror movies become a fad. First Birdbox, now this.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:20 PM   #3525
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
finally trying squid game. it's so weird that bizarre horror movies become a fad. First Birdbox, now this.

I would say it's far more dystopian than it is horror.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #3526
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wife and I need a show we can watch with out 11 year old in the room, not necessarily paying attention. Suggestions?
Old 01-19-2022, 11:09 PM   #3527
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Really liked Peacemaker. John Cena is pretty funny and the supporting cast is also good.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:53 PM   #3528
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I would say it's far more dystopian than it is horror.

it's kind of reminding me of Lost. Each ep unravels to a new type. Ep 1 was DEF horror, 2 psych horror. 3-4 getting into Suspense...and 4 esp even becoming walkingdead like minus zombies

but yeah kinda scifi horror

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-19-2022 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:53 PM   #3529
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wife and I need a show we can watch with out 11 year old in the room, not necessarily paying attention. Suggestions?

squid game def squid game
Old 01-23-2022, 08:11 AM   #3530
Edward64
Head Coach

Binge watched the new part 1 season of Ozarks. As good as before but do think the cartel arc was too convenient.

Love Marty. Love the emergence of Wendy. Love Ruth, hope Julia Garner gets many more great roles. No word on s4 part 2 yet but can't wait.

Before starting on s4, rewatched last 2 episodes of s3. I'd forgotten how gut wrenching to see Wendy go through "that".

I actually thought Ozark was filmed in MO or AR but its actually primarily in GA using Lake Lanier and Allatoona. Wonder how much that house will sell for.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:33 AM   #3531
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
squid game def squid game

did it already, he loved it
Old 01-26-2022, 01:39 PM   #3532
spleen1015
Coordinator

Are Discovery and Picard any good?
Old 01-26-2022, 02:05 PM   #3533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Are Discovery and Picard any good?

Haven't seen Discovery. Mostly enjoyed Picard season 1. I'm more a casual Trek fan and I think there were some things in season 1 that bothered the more hardcore fans and understandably so. But it also did a good job of touching some prior nostalgia(fanservice) while weaving a new story, though one point in the ending was a bit jarring to me, even for scifi.

Got me wondering: looks like Picard season 2 is about to come out: March 3-May 5. So that means I'll probably go get Paramount for a month starting in April or May.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-26-2022 at 02:07 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:28 PM   #3534
Edward64
Head Coach

For Mandalorian fans but not Boba Fett fans, watch this week's episode.

Trust me.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:06 PM   #3535
Edward64
Head Coach

Been watching new Korean zombie series "All of Us are Dead". Not Romero zombie as they can die by non-head shots but good enough. Setting is in school .

Plot is below average but but great special effects.

Survivors fight back with archery bows (not ideal but guess better than Daryl's stupid crossbow) and anything else they can pick up. Some love interest, revenge, societal structure etc. stuff mixed in.

The Kingdom is better because of the historical setting and didn't have the teen love angst stuff. But worth your time if you are a zombie aficionado.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #3536
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished the final season of The Expanse. What a great series. That scene with Amos & Bobbie on the Ring in the finale was fantastic! I do think the Marcos arc dragged on too long but can't complain too much.

I want more. But won't be anymore unless some other studio picks it up which is unlikely. So that means I may have to read the 2-3 books that continue after the show series ended.

I want to learn more about the protomolecule, see more spaceships fighting, go on more adventures with the Roci. Thank you Amazon for picking it up from SyFy.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:10 PM   #3537
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would say it is rare a TV show can actually change your perspective but Rogue Trip on Disney comes pretty close.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:38 PM   #3538
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Woman That Lives Across The Street From The Girl In The Window was majorly disappointing. Just pretty ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:47 PM   #3539
Atocep
Coordinator

The Legend of Vox Machina is an adult animated D&D style series with the cast of Critical Role voicing. Three episodes have been released on Amazon so far and IMO it's pretty solid.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #3540
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Been watching new Korean zombie series "All of Us are Dead". Not Romero zombie as they can die by non-head shots but good enough. Setting is in school .

Plot is below average but but great special effects.

Survivors fight back with archery bows (not ideal but guess better than Daryl's stupid crossbow) and anything else they can pick up. Some love interest, revenge, societal structure etc. stuff mixed in.

The Kingdom is better because of the historical setting and didn't have the teen love angst stuff. But worth your time if you are a zombie aficionado.

I saw the trailer for this and it looked fun. But I love fast zombies.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:15 PM   #3541
Atocep
Coordinator

Murderville debuts on Netflix tomorrow and from the sounds of the synopsis it has the potential to be the greatest show ever made:

Quote:
In this adaptation of the British series, Murder in Successville, each episode features Homicide Detective Terry Seattle (Will Arnett) with a new murder case and a new guest star as his partner. With no script, Kumail Nanjiani, Conan O'Brien, Annie Murphy, Sharon Stone, Ken Jeong, and Marshawn Lynch must improvise and try to figure out the killer.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:01 AM   #3542
RainMaker
General Manager

Little late to this but Gangs of London is really good TV. It's on AMC+ which I'm guessing most don't have but if you do, worth it.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:55 AM   #3543
Edward64
Head Coach

Started watching Yellowstone with my Peacock (Olympics) subscription. Want to move to Montana now and buy me a bunch of open (& cheap land), truck and cowboy hat. Maybe another rifle and pistol to add to my collection.

I like how it shows life on a reservation. I'd like to think its highly embellished but think much of the life portrayed is not quite that embellished.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:26 AM   #3544
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Murderville debuts on Netflix tomorrow and from the sounds of the synopsis it has the potential to be the greatest show ever made:
Or really, really bad. It could go either way.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:07 AM   #3545
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I made it thru Ozark part 1. It was just kind of there. At this point I feel like I've heard one too many Laura Linney speeches for the rest of my life. She was great early on, but the writing for her just kinda was meh this season. The Byrde kids did a lot with what they were given.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #3546
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Legend of Vox Machina is an adult animated D&D style series with the cast of Critical Role voicing. Three episodes have been released on Amazon so far and IMO it's pretty solid.
Watch the first two episodes and it was fun. I wish it felt more D&D like, but that's not really important. It is a very adult cartoon, so don't watch it with young children.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #3547
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Finished The Flight Attendant last night. Really enjoyed it.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #3548
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Really liked Peacemaker. John Cena is pretty funny and the supporting cast is also good.

One of the best opening credits scenes in all of TV.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #3549
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Finished The Flight Attendant last night. Really enjoyed it.

I could get in real trouble for saying this.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #3550
Ksyrup

HA!