Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #1351
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That is some seriously heavy snow. Some shoveling this morning but this is going to take all day. Doing small bits at a time. It's really going to suck when I get to the road, where the plow has it piled up.

I'm thinking that tomorrow may be a good work from home day if I can't get this dug out by then.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #1352
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Lighter fluid, EagleFan.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #1353
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Lighter fluid, EagleFan.

If I only had a flame thrower...
Old 01-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #1354
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

snow is light and fluffy here...car is dug out, road is plowed....DC has upped their driving ban to a 750$ fine. its amazing that MD can be clear and DC is a mess. Metro says there is no chance they will be open to normal service tomorrow.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #1355
heybrad
Norm!!!

I'm pretty beat from shoveling as well and when I came in from the latest round, I read a story of a guy dying from shoveling. I'm taking it easy at this point. They still haven't even plowed our neighborhood.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #1356
Suicane75
Coordinator

I had about 80% of my driveway done when 3 kids walked by. Fuck pride, they got their money.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #1357
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, it's easy to spike your heart rate really quick while shoveling, even if you're in good shape.

Edit: I'm actually pretty astonished it isn't something Crossfit gyms do as a workout when available. Could probably get a workout and get some cash at the same time.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 01-24-2016 at 12:00 PM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #1358
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I had about 80% of my driveway done when 3 kids walked by. Fuck pride, they got their money.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #1359
Thomkal
Head Coach

Final count from WV, 34 inches with 5 feet of drifts.

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-24-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #1360
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think the tally in Frederick was about 34" as well.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #1361
rowech
Pro Starter

I have to ask...are people waiting until the storm is over before going out to shovel? When we had a winter storm before Christmas in 2004, I learned that I would rather shovel eight times every two hours than one time when it was all done. That was the most snow I had ever seen and don't care to see that much again ever. Can't imagine what some of you are dealing with.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #1362
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I have to ask...are people waiting until the storm is over before going out to shovel? When we had a winter storm before Christmas in 2004, I learned that I would rather shovel eight times every two hours than one time when it was all done. That was the most snow I had ever seen and don't care to see that much again ever. Can't imagine what some of you are dealing with.

You almost have to do it in stages. Trying to scoop or even snowblow 2-3 feet at one time is a nightmare.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #1363
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

a mix, there was so much wind, that all the preshoveling i did was a waste of time.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #1364
Suicane75
Coordinator

I waited till this morning simply because I was afraid that much of the shoveling I would be doing would go to naught cause of the way the wind was blowing it all over. I just did a little bit at a time and made about 4 trips outside over the course of a couple hours. Luckily the driveway had less snow on it than most spots. I've got large chunks of ground where the drifts look to be 4-5 feet high.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #1365
Thomkal
Head Coach

The threat of strong winds and tornadoes all day here in South Carolina has caused many school districts to close. Coming from the Northeast, I laugh in their general direction. My house will likely be hit by a tornado now.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #1366
Thomkal
Head Coach

well not really weather, but the closest giant meteor exploded thread we have I guess:

Meteor Exploded Above Atlantic Ocean on Feb. 6, NASA Says – CoverageMail
Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #1367
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hope folks in the north part of the DFW metroplex are doing ok. There has been some massive hail storms there the past hour or so.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued for North Texas | WFAA.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #1368
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Hope folks in the north part of the DFW metroplex are doing ok. There has been some massive hail storms there the past hour or so.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued for North Texas | WFAA.com

I just drove through it on the way to my son's swim class. I'm not sure about damage to my car yet - it seemed to be gumball sized in Frisco so maybe it won't be too bad even though there was a lot of it.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #1369
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks like there is a storm swelling in the gulf!
Attached Images
File Type: png RisingStorm.png (867.7 KB, 308 views)
Old 09-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #1370
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh no! It's CATEGORY 7!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #1371
Thomkal
Head Coach

Getting a lot of rain here-supposed to go on all day. Wind hasn't been too bad, though now that I say that thunder has started. Was a tornado on the ground in the middle of the state earlier too.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #1372
Thomkal
Head Coach

well the midwest US was jealous of all the storm coverage and showed it with an earthquake measuring 5.6. Felt in 8 states.

An earthquake has rattled a swath of the Great Plains, from Kansas City, Missouri, to central Oklahoma. | abc13.com
Old 09-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #1373
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
well the midwest US was jealous of all the storm coverage and showed it with an earthquake measuring 5.6. Felt in 8 states.

An earthquake has rattled a swath of the Great Plains, from Kansas City, Missouri, to central Oklahoma. | abc13.com

Definitely a good one. Stuff was moving in our house.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #1374
tarcone
Coordinator

I drove through Florida yesterday. 10 to 75. Not much damage inland. Some trees down. Some branches.

Hermine seemed pretty concentrated and not real powerful.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #1375
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Forecasters really nailed this one.

First we were told it would start on Saturday and the weekend would be a washout, possibly carrying into Monday.

Then yesterday we were told evening would be storm surge and coastal flooding. State of emergency declared; don't travel if you don't have to. We almost didn't go to see Jeff Dunham at the Borgata last night because of this but then I turned on the news and they were in Atlantic City and predicting nothing major until today. We went to the show and returned with no issues at all.

When we went to bed the forecast was for heavy rain all day today and tomorrow. Woke up to sun and little wind.

Check the forecast and it's going to be a nice pleasant day today... but tomorrow will be washed out with rain and wind...

I'll believe that when I see it.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #1376
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Forecasters really nailed this one.

First we were told it would start on Saturday and the weekend would be a washout, possibly carrying into Monday.

Then yesterday we were told evening would be storm surge and coastal flooding. State of emergency declared; don't travel if you don't have to. We almost didn't go to see Jeff Dunham at the Borgata last night because of this but then I turned on the news and they were in Atlantic City and predicting nothing major until today. We went to the show and returned with no issues at all.

When we went to bed the forecast was for heavy rain all day today and tomorrow. Woke up to sun and little wind.

Check the forecast and it's going to be a nice pleasant day today... but tomorrow will be washed out with rain and wind...

I'll believe that when I see it.

My deepest sympathies on not getting blasted by a tropical storm. I hope you find a way to persevere on this unexpectedly lovely weekend.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #1377
britrock88
Pro Starter

Yeah, the eastward turn and dissipation of Hermine really put a kink in the outdoor wedding I was in around Cherry Hill yesterday.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #1378
PilotMan
Head Coach

So we just had a pretty intense weather cell pass right over us. We didn't get the softball sized hail that places west did, but it was still good enough to make some noise.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #1379
tarcone
Coordinator

What a crazy day in Metro St louis.

A cloud hung over the area at ground level. And the temp was around 28.

This caused freezing.

Commutes were multiplied by 5.
Accidents all over the place.
One school still has kids at it as I type this. Parents cannot get to the school because of the traffic and poor conditions.
traffic is still at a stand still on the interstates. Many are closed.

The weather guy said we got less then 1/16th of an inch of precipitation. And the city was shut down.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #1380
molson
General Manager

Boise set its all-time record for accumulated snow on the ground yesterday with 15 inches - about half of which fell in the last couple of days, and the rest a week or so before. That may not sound like a ton, but the average annual snowfall here is about 20 inches, and the county only plows the major roads. And while a lot of people here are outdoorsy and have 4WDs and AWDs, Boise and its surrounding area is pretty urban and poor and there are small cars stuck everywhere. Last night at about 11 me and a bunch of neighbors were shoveling our street. You just can't get out with a regular car. I've never seen anything like this, and I lived in New England and Syracuse.

Last edited by molson : 01-05-2017 at 11:45 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #1381
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like the SE is going to get a snowstorm starting tomorrow. Even Myrtle Beach may get a little but probably no accumulation. Temps in 20's and 30's too.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #1382
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Looks like the SE is going to get a snowstorm starting tomorrow. Even Myrtle Beach may get a little but probably no accumulation. Temps in 20's and 30's too.
Yesterday they were calling for 1-3 inches in my area from this thing. Woke up this morning to a forecast calling for 6-10 inches and possibly more.

Meanwhile, down in Atlanta, the person who handles the Cherokee County School District's Twitter account was on fire last night:

Cherokee Co. Schools' Twitter account has no chill | 11alive.com
Old 01-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #1383
Ben E Lou

Dola...

Old 01-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #1384
Easy Mac

After the last few predicted snowstorms here, I'm taking their estimates with a grain of salt. It always starts small, predicts to 1/2 foot in the day or 2 before, then maybe 1-2 inches.

Also, what's the point of weekend snow. Snow is only useful if it gets people off work or school. Otherwise, I'm trapped inside all day with my child on a useful day.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #1385
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

What?

The annual snow dusting is great father child bonding time. Some of our fondest memories are pelting each other with snowballs and tackling mom in the snow.

But we are running some place warm to escape this bitch.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #1386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've survived the Kroger run yesterday.

Now it's just a matter of sitting back, waiting to see what does/doesn't hit ... and praying that the electricity manages to stay on if it does.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #1387
Radii
Head Coach

I've had plans for awhile now to drive up to Ohio/Indiana to decide where I'm going to move. I was going to leave Saturday, and have been getting lots of shit about how I'm going up there during the winter when it might snow. Now I'm leaving a day early to get out of North Carolina before the whole region shuts down.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #1388
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
What?

The annual snow dusting is great father child bonding time. Some of our fondest memories are pelting each other with snowballs and tackling mom in the snow.

But we are running some place warm to escape this bitch.

It would probably be better if I hadn't been home with her for most of the last 3 weeks while school was out. I love her, but there's only so much I can do with her inside when she tires of the snow after 3 minutes. She has the attention span of a fruit fly.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #1389
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Also, what's the point of weekend snow. Snow is only useful if it gets people off work or school. Otherwise, I'm trapped inside all day with my child on a useful day.
As someone who works from home and therefore never gets a freebie day for snow, I'm grateful that I'll have Saturday and Sunday to play in it with the kiddos without having to burn a day of PTO like I do when it's a weekday snow.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #1390
miked
College Starter

I went to Ace Hardware near me to get some salt and a package of firewood (mine is wet and I haven't gotten my delivery yet). The Ace was fine, the parking lot (where there is a Kroger, Publix, and many other stores) was like a scene out of zombie movie. People seemed to ignore that certain lanes were one direction and were just clogging every entrance and exit. It's not even raining yet!
Old 01-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #1391
Easy Mac

I think if I took every snowflake on my patio and stacked them on top of each other, it might equal the 4-6 inches that was predicted.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #1392
Ben E Lou

I haven't measured lately. We were a little over 6.5 inches around 4:45ish. Probably over 8 by now and coming down lightly, but the radar is showing at least one more significant band heading our way.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #1393
miked
College Starter

Biggest bust ever. I don't even think we got half an inch in Atlanta (and I'm in the North East part). There are going to be a lot of people returning sleds today.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #1394
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like 8-14 inches of snow here in MA over the next day.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #1395
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Here in the DC exurbs, less than half an inch on the ground. 15 miles east of us is at 4" with no end in sight.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #1396
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Here in the DC exurbs, less than half an inch on the ground. 15 miles east of us is at 4" with no end in sight.
Per Google maps, Asheboro is only 27 miles away. And this isn't a case of mountains or any other geographical issue.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #1397
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Southeast side of Atlanta, the night before the storm they where saying three to four inches for us, and we got zilch. Luckily, we didn't the ice either, so win there.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #1398
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Btw, if you live in the South, you should follow The Ostrich on twitter/facebook. It is an Alabama centered fake-news site, but the humor translates for the whole south. Their take on this event is priceless.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #1399
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Well, if we're talking Bama here:

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 01-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #1400
Thomkal
Head Coach

No snow here either Though I hold out hope for a passing flurry or two as temps are supposed to drop throughout the day.