Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #2101
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The good news - nothing to worry about on the gel injection. I just tried to do too much too soon after getting it.

The bad news - getting an MRI schedule on my other knee. I have a feeling I know what I'm getting myself for Christmas again this year.

Just got back from the doc to go over the MRI. The right knee looks like it is in about the same shape as the left one was before the operation. So I'll be back under the knife the first part of December, and get to start the rehab process all over again.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #2102
Kodos
Resident Alien

Shit. Really sorry to hear that, cartman. That sucks.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #2103
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to load a race result into Strava based on the course map? I didn't carry my phone or watch.

You can manually plot it on RunKeeper, then export it to Strava. I do that when RunKeeper messes up during a run.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #2104
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Shit. Really sorry to hear that, cartman. That sucks.

Yeah, I'm bummed. Just when I thought I was making real progress, I get to start back again at square one. Something that is in my favor is that I think this leg is a lot stronger muscle-wise than the other one when I had it worked on, which helps with the recovery. I also now have a stationary bike trainer at the house, instead of just rollers, so I can start riding a lot sooner than before.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #2105
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
You can manually plot it on RunKeeper, then export it to Strava. I do that when RunKeeper messes up during a run.

thanks for this tip. i had been using other websites, but the Runkeeper site is more user-friendly for this.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:37 AM   #2106
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just got back from the doc to go over the MRI. The right knee looks like it is in about the same shape as the left one was before the operation. So I'll be back under the knife the first part of December, and get to start the rehab process all over again.

Sorry to hear the news, I can imagine it deflates your bubble.

On the positive side, you know that you have the fortitude to recover from the surgery, you did well with the other one, so confident you will do great with this one.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #2107
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hartford Marathon is Saturday (Kodos, are you still running the half?)

I feel like this summer training cycle has been my best yet. I feel like I have worked really hard and things have been paying off for me. I set new personal records for myself in the 5k, 5 mile, 10k and half marathon this time around, so am very optimistic about the marathon.

I think my plan is going to be to try to stick with the 4 hour pace group the entire way. Based on all of the random pace calculators out there, the estimate for me seems to be anywhere between 3:45 and 4:05 based on my other times, so sticking with that pace group should hopefully prevent me from taking off too quickly at the start, like I have every single other time.

My goals:

A goal: Sub-4 hour marathon (finally)
B goal: New Marathon PR (current PR for me is around 4:17)
C goal: Just finish!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #2108
digamma
Torchbearer

I've run three marathons with pace groups and hit my target every time. They are fantastic for doing just what you say. Keeping you on pace at the beginning, and not too fast.

In fact, when I ran my BQ time, I spoke with the pace group leader at the expo before hand and went over the course with him. He gave me some strategy tips and checked with me along the way. When we got to the 20th mile, which we had set as a check in spot, he asked me how I was feeling. When I told him good, he told me to get ahead of them. I did and it worked out. The leaders are such experienced runners. It's a great resource.

Good luck. Will be pulling for you.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #2109
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

Unfortunately, I decided not to do the the Hartford half. I haven't been happy with my training lately, and thought I would be better served focusing on improving that. I'm introducing a workout from Dr. Jordan Metzl's book, and it utterly kicked my ass last week. It hit a bunch of muscles that I apparently never use... I was sore for days.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that will eventually boost my running ability, but last week it made my runs the kind that you're just dying to finish. I'll probably do some 5Ks as the year winds down.

My brother will be there running his first marathon. He is in insanely good shape, so I'm sure he'll do great if he doesn't go out too fast.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-07-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #2110
HerRealName
College Prospect

Good Luck Alan. I just took a look at the forecast and conditions tomorrow morning look excellent too. Get that A!
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #2111
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

I feel like this summer training cycle has been my best yet. I feel like I have worked really hard and things have been paying off for me. I set new personal records for myself in the 5k, 5 mile, 10k and half marathon this time around, so am very optimistic about the marathon.

I think my plan is going to be to try to stick with the 4 hour pace group the entire way. Based on all of the random pace calculators out there, the estimate for me seems to be anywhere between 3:45 and 4:05 based on my other times, so sticking with that pace group should hopefully prevent me from taking off too quickly at the start, like I have every single other time.

My goals:

A goal: Sub-4 hour marathon (finally)
B goal: New Marathon PR (current PR for me is around 4:17)
C goal: Just finish!

I've seen you crush PR after PR all Summer long it seems. You've been a beast this Summer, I'm sure if you pace it right, you'll cruise to that A goal.

I have a Facebook friend from Montreal who will be running the half.

Have fun, enjoy the time of the road and go get 'em!

FM
Old 10-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #2112
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Long Beach Half and Full Marathons on Sunday.

I won't be running this, but I believe Chief Rum is scheduled to run the half.

It's going to be a hot one, reaching 90F at the peak. The race organizer sent out emails with some changes due to the weather:

- HM runners have the option to start at 6:00am with the Full Marathon field. (regular start time is still 7:30am).
- Increased water and Nuun supplies at each station.
- Provide misting fans at the Finish Line.

Good luck to the runners. Keep cool out there.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #2113
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Long Beach Half and Full Marathons on Sunday.

I won't be running this, but I believe Chief Rum is scheduled to run the half.

It's going to be a hot one, reaching 90F at the peak. The race organizer sent out emails with some changes due to the weather:

- HM runners have the option to start at 6:00am with the Full Marathon field. (regular start time is still 7:30am).
- Increased water and Nuun supplies at each station.
- Provide misting fans at the Finish Line.

Good luck to the runners. Keep cool out there.

Yup, I'm running it. I still plan to run at 7:30, but we'll see. I don't mind running in heat to a point. If it was at 12, I would just shoot myself, but it will be medium heat at 7:30. It will only get to the hotter end near the end of the race.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #2114
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yup, I'm running it. I still plan to run at 7:30, but we'll see. I don't mind running in heat to a point. If it was at 12, I would just shoot myself, but it will be medium heat at 7:30. It will only get to the hotter end near the end of the race.
BTW CR, be prepared to park several blocks from the starting line. Place gets full fast.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #2115
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Thanks guys! Yes looks like perfect weather tomorrow for me!

Good luck on your race chief!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #2116
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks, Alan! Same to you!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #2117
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW CR, be prepared to park several blocks from the starting line. Place gets full fast.

That sucks. Thanks for the heads up, ABC. I'll take a look and see what they offer.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #2118
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That sucks. Thanks for the heads up, ABC. I'll take a look and see what they offer.

Basically when I did this race, once the traffic started to slow we just took the nearest private parking garage/lot that was open, paid the, what, $20 and walked the rest of the way.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #2119
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Just signed up to track you through text messaging. GO GO GO ALAN.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #2120
hoopsguy
General Manager

Good luck to everyone running this weekend.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #2121
digamma
Torchbearer

Alan's on perfect pace through the first 10k.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #2122
timmae
College Starter

Quote:

Woot!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #2123
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
He's shooting for Goal A. 3:04:56 through 20 miles!
Old 10-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #2124
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I finished very poorly. The weather conditions were good, I just couldn't hang with the pace group after mile 16. My heart rate just started to spike and by mile 17 it was over for me.

After the 4:10 pace group passed me I pretty much mentally checked out and struggled the last few miles.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #2125
HerRealName
College Prospect

It's unfortunate that one of those off days hit on race day. I'm sure you're disappointed but you can be proud of the gains made during this training cycle.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #2126
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am actually not too down surprisingly. This summer was pretty amazing for me so not going to let one bad race ruin it for me. In the end I still was able to get out on a beautiful day and run. Something four years ago would have been hysterically foreign to me

Old 10-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #2127
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Basically when I did this race, once the traffic started to slow we just took the nearest private parking garage/lot that was open, paid the, what, $20 and walked the rest of the way.

I ended up prepaying for valet parking at the Pike Parking Structure.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #2128
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I am actually not too down surprisingly. This summer was pretty amazing for me so not going to let one bad race ruin it for me. In the end I still was able to get out on a beautiful day and run. Something four years ago would have been hysterically foreign to me

Congrats on finishing another marathon. It's still something that most people can't say they've done.

You've been a mainstay in this thread and your dedication is impressive. Your improvements and results on shorter distances are paying dividends. I have no doubt you'll see it in the marathon if you keep at it.

You've got a lot of people here pulling for you.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #2129
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, a race report for the Long Beach half yesterday.

Just to set it up, when I signed up in July, I did so with the intent of full on training for this and getting into the best shape I could for it.

Good intentions and all. I actually did pretty good with my plan through July, but in August, SoCal was pretty much hit with a month-month and a half-long blistering heat wave, like 90 plus everyday and often higher. Running in it was borderline suicide. Add to that that I work two jobs, so finding the training time was hard anyway, and you can see where my training slipped.

Follow that up with an unusually busy social calendar in September, and I pretty much did no real training for the last two months, other than my cardio workouts at the gym.

I think it definitely had its effect. I didn't lose the weight I wanted to for this one or build up my endurance the way I wanted to (although I am in decent shape anyway and I have finished halfs with as little training before).

Move forward to race day. After getting more seasonal weather the past two weeks, in a cosmic joke, the blistering heat returned this weekend, such that the race organizers actually allowed halfers to start at 6 a.m. with the fulls, instead of making them run at 7:30. I chose to start earlier, so I was in downtown Long Beach a little past 5 a.m.

All in all, it seemed like a really well-run event (only caveat is I haven't found 2015 race results posted yet, which surprises me; sent an email to the event company that ran the event). It's a nice setting too, as you start off running in the historic downtown area of Long Beach, run out toward the Queen Mary at dock, and then run back through downtown and beyond, down the beach, then you swing back to the finish.

The first 5-6 miles went really smooth for me. I pushed myself at the OC in May and really dragged at the end, and I felt that was the reason I didn't make a PR there, so I tried to keep a strong, but steady pace, not too much over exertion, but definitely not just jogging either. Through the first five miles I was in the low 8's per mile and I felt comfortable. The sixth and seventh miles got tougher, as we turned through downtown again and advanced on toward the long beach straightaway (gravel beach/bike lane trail, not sand). I did that stretch just under 9 minutes per mile.

It was here that I started to have real trouble. This stretch of beach is pretty much straight east-west and the sun had risen above the horizon by this point. It was getting hot, and you are pretty much staring into the sun the whole way. I should have anticipated this and brought sunglasses, but I did not. I found I was running with my head down a lot, trying to avoid looking into the sun. And my energy was lagging in the heat.

I also had a bit of mental fatigue. That stretch, because of the other negative conditions, just seemed to go on forever. A run on the beach sounds great in theory, but when you're trying to maintain a pace and get a feel for progress, it is hard going without too many turns and where you can see your run going on forever ahead of you.

Just after the Mile Eight marker, I realized I didn't have the energy to keep it up, so I slowed to a walk. I intended to just walk for a bit and start up again (and I did that), but it was only for a short bit and I was walking again. In my mind's picture of the course, I thought the turnaround point along the beach and back along the ocean drive to the finish would be around the 9.5 mile point, but it was actually just short of the 10 mile mark. I ended up walking almost the entire 8th and 9th and 10th miles.

Once I hit the 10th mile mark and the turnaround point, I resolved to try to get back on pace. Full on running the rest of the way would prove too hard, though. So I ended up alternating running for a song, then walking for a song, then running for a song, etc. So my timings in the last half of the marathon were all over 10 min/miles, with a horrid 15:40 for Mile 10 (I swear that bleeping stretch was longer than a mile by a bit).

I crossed the finish line at 2:17:21 per my Strava, which is probably a little longer than my actual time, call it 2:17 even. Race results pending, since I couldn't find them online yet.

That is almost 30 minutes behind my PR for the half, and the worst I have ever run. You might think I am unhappy then, but actually, I ended up fairly satisfied with my efforts. I realized that, with my lack of training and other factors (such as the lack of sunglasses on the beach stretch), that this wasn't far off where I was likely to be. I know I can do a lot better, but I was happy to have run it and finished it, which is always the most basic goal anyway.

By finishing it, I completed the Beach Cities Challenge, the three race set of the Surf City, the OC and the Long Beach this year, and I got a really cool second medal for that (a faux-golden seashell which opens up to a colorful Beach Cities Challenge decal).

My next challenge was to be the LA Marathon, but given these results, I am backing off that at the moment. I really feel I need to properly train for a half first, and beat my PR. If the LA offers a half, I might do that instead, or I might return to the Surf City. Both are in February. I am undecided.

Anyway, overall, while a bit disappointed in how I ended up racing, I am pretty satisfied that I went out and did it, and I'm happy I went through it.

On to the next challenge.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-12-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #2130
timmae
College Starter

Congrats on finishing CR! I have a 10k I am training for right now that should be fun IF I keep on my training schedule. After that I may set my sights on a half and my goal will certainly be to just finish the damn thing.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:24 AM   #2131
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Chief, great job on finishing the challenge. Hot summers are tough to keep the motivation up and train through. You did great finishing what you started!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #2132
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Just a quick mention if anyone wants to 'friend' me on Strava I'm predictably "Marc Vaughan" and I've got my first Half Marathon in a couple of weeks time ...

I've been running sporadically for 2-3 years, but have stepped it up a lot in the last year or so as I find it quite therapeutic at times (when I do a long run alone its almost like meditating, I just get into a zone).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 10-13-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #2133
HerRealName
College Prospect

Good job, Chief. The key to training in the heat is to just slow your pace. Racing in the heat is just miserable .
Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #2134
cartman
Death Herald

Not sure if it would be too soon for ya CR, but the Las Vegas Rock and Roll half marathon is a month away.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #2135
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Congrats Chief! Of the three races, which course did you enjoy the most? I liked the OC course, myself.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #2136
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Good job, Chief. The key to training in the heat is to just slow your pace. Racing in the heat is just miserable .

not that I would know much about training in the heat, but this, all of this. I know it's not easy to train in the heat but doing it is how I guess you get a bit used to it.

Ok, we don't get much heat but everything really is relative and when you're not used to it, a warmer race day can be just as rough for me. We had a couple weeks of very hot and humid temperatures and I forced myself to run in the afternoon on those days because I knew it could happen on the day of my marathon. Again, nothing around here compares to what some of you guys go through.

Good job Chief, now get out there and train some more!!!

FM
Old 10-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #2137
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'll be running a 10k race this Sunday. It's one of the Surf City 10 races in Huntington Beach which includes a 5k, 10k, and a 10 miler.

It's a simple out-and-back course laid out along the famous Pacific Coast Highway. We're expecting 66-73F temperatures during the race hours.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #2138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good luck, ABC! I always like running along the beach there, and that sounds like perfect weather.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #2139
hoopsguy
General Manager

So with my run on Monday night I've now passed my 2014 mileage. Which is nice, but not exactly my 2015 goals. Have a lot of running to do the next two months to try and hit mileage goal of 800 miles for the year.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #2140
Subby
lolzcat

Did a big ride this weekend with about 8500 ft of climbing. Got some fun video on a few of the descents (fly6 light/camera combo from cycliq).

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 11-08-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #2141
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

My daughter (11) ran her first 5k this weekend. Her goal was to beat 40min and we ended up finishing at 34:45, so it was a great result. Also, it may have been my first race ever with negative splits. 12/11:45/11
Old 12-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #2142
cartman
Death Herald

Had the surgery on the other knee yesterday morning. It went well. Once the doc got in there and looked around, this knee didn't have near as much osteoarthritis as the other knee. There was still quite a bit, but he didn't have to do any bone work, which means a much quicker recovery. I'll only be on crutches for two weeks, instead of 8 weeks, and no leg brace either. Not much pain so far, the tic-tacs... er... Vicodin are doing their job.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #2143
HerRealName
College Prospect

I hope the recovery goes well. I'm trying to talk my Dad into just going ahead and having a replacement as well. Do you have any issues with other joints or is it just your knees?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #2144
Kodos
Resident Alien

Glad the surgery went well, cartman. I hope your recovery is quick and you're back out on your bike soon.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #2145
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I hope the recovery goes well. I'm trying to talk my Dad into just going ahead and having a replacement as well. Do you have any issues with other joints or is it just your knees?

Just my knees, thankfully. As of now, I'm looking at complete knee replacements in about 15 years, barring any new advances in technology before then. The doctor and I were chatting before they put me under for the procedure yesterday, and he still can't believe how bad my left knee was for only being 42 at the time.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:18 AM   #2146
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Get better quick, cartman!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:20 AM   #2147
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Officially signed up for the LA Marathon on Valentines Day. Wish me luck! Training in full starts immediately (although I already do a fair amount of running as is).

Old 12-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #2148
hoopsguy
General Manager

Anyone interested in a free Smashrun pro membership? Going to renew mine for this year, and I can pass along a free pass to another runner. Assume it has to be someone new, rather than extending an existing user, yada yada yada.

Anyway, will be pulling the trigger on this over the weekend. So if interested, reply here or send a PM. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #2149
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Glad the surgery went well, cartman. I hope your recovery is quick and you're back out on your bike soon.

The recovery is going very well. Today is three weeks since the surgery, and the pain is just about gone. I started PT last week, and that has really boosted my range of motion. So much so that I can pedal (albeit very slowly and at zero resistance) on a stationary bike. At first I could only pedal backwards, but at the end of my PT session yesterday, I was able to pedal normally. I'm hoping this means by the first of February I ought to be able to ride out on the street.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #2150
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Disneyland Star Wars Half Marathon coming up this Sunday. Really excited about this one. My only concern about the race (and any Disneyland race) is the pace requirement (16:00/mi). For anyone who follows me on Strava, my training pace is just a bit behind it.

At least the timer doesn't start until the very last runner crosses the starting line, and I'm placed in the 2nd-to-last corral of the field. So if I get myself near the front of my corral, I figure I have about a 20-30 minute head start anyways.

Besides that, this race should be really fun. I'll be wearing a Darth Vader tech shirt with cape and toy lightsaber. If I'm able to slow down enough (and not be picked up by a sweeper), I'll take a few pics.