Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #20151
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
You should ask if they follow the example of Jerry Falwell.

Was her husband watching from a chair in the corner?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #20152
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A meme lightly making the social media rounds lately reads

"If 2020 was a math problem: If you're going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof"

So help me, I had already typed "2/3rds" as a comment/reply before realizing that nobody in that audience would know wth I was talking about
Old 08-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #20153
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
A meme lightly making the social media rounds lately reads

"If 2020 was a math problem: If you're going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to re-shingle your roof"

So help me, I had already typed "2/3rds" as a comment/reply before realizing that nobody in that audience would know wth I was talking about

Heh.

I once accidentally talked about "dola posting" out of the context of this board. When challenged on what it meant, I explained it and then doubled down and said that it was a common internet thing and I'm surprised no one had heard of it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #20154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Heh.

I once accidentally talked about "dola posting" out of the context of this board. When challenged on what it meant, I explained it and then doubled down and said that it was a common internet thing and I'm surprised no one had heard of it.

I just won't mention an incident elsewhere that may have involved me using trout in an unusual context
Old 08-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #20155
spleen1015
Coordinator

Do you guys tell your wife she should watch a show with you because FOFC says it's a good one?
Old 08-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #20156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Do you guys tell your wife she should watch a show with you because FOFC says it's a good one?

On rare occasion I've probably used that, though her tastes have limited overlap to the board honestly.

The most frequent references I make to her, really, are more just about the people in broader terms about everyday kinda stuff. Somebody will mention something here, it turns into a household chit chat topic or whatever.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-25-2020 at 05:34 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #20157
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I did with Buster Scruggs, we turned it off 45 minutes in, then she decided to do it again with the Leftovers.

There won't be a third.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #20158
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have, most recently with The Leftovers. She loves it so far.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #20159
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I have, most recently with The Leftovers. She loves it so far.

Neither of us have ever watched a show and were so uncertain how to feel about it. Not a bad thing necessarily.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:33 PM   #20160
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I had to contact a business about an appointment, and I marked the box that said I prefer communication by email. I left my phone number too, either the field was required or it auto-filled in. I figured I'd just get an email confirmation of the appointment. But instead they're calling me. Leaving voicemails. I think I might just go with another business.
I just had the experience of ordering an item to be delivered to my work address. After no sign of delivery for a few days, I finally had a delivery guy ring me to say that he was at my home address (apartment with security entry) and unable to deliver. My billing address was listed as the delivery address.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #20161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{rubs temples}

Lemme get this straight -- you're insisting on a "full-blooded" puppy from a popular dog breed ... but you only want to pay half the going rate for it. And then you're shocked that your requests on the internet have attracted scammers and con artists?

{rubs temples}

FML people are stupid.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #20162
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It was 3 huge ass pine trees near my house. It’s not something I would have wanted to use handyman joe for, for sure. They were all 40-80 feet tall. That’s disposal too. And a tree in the front yard. Yes I could have probably saved money by calling around but $500/tree not exceptionally expensive.

if they were 80 ' tall pine trees they were wroth about $900/each. You should have been paid or their removal...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #20163
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I try not to be here when she comes or hide in the basement. I find it a bit awkward when someone is cleaning my house. always have.

I really really want to hire a cleaning service.
But I just cant get past the awkwardness.
Even the idea of telling someone what to clean or where to put something makes my skin crawl.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #20164
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
if they were 80 ' tall pine trees they were wroth about $900/each. You should have been paid or their removal...

Probably way closer to 40 feet than 80. Trees are a nuisance here in Pennsylvania.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #20165
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I really really want to hire a cleaning service.
But I just cant get past the awkwardness.
Even the idea of telling someone what to clean or where to put something makes my skin crawl.

That last bit is a decade long push/pull for me. I've learned to pre-clean / pre-store certain parts of the house before the cleaner gets here.

One way to lesser the "what" part of it is to maintain the same person(s) for a prolonged period. Some can be taught what specifics "clean this room" entails and eventually you don't have to micromanage that segment.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #20166
spleen1015
Coordinator

What's the point in having someone else clean your house if you have to prep the house before they get there?
Old 08-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #20167
Kodos
Resident Alien

For me, it's more of a "I don't want you to waste time taking out trash when you could be deep-cleaning the bathroom" thing.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #20168
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I went to law school with both Benjamin Crump and Shannon Bream. And a woman who pleaded guilty to attempting to hire a hitman to kill a law professor's assistant because she caught the woman stealing an exam before finals.

Life is random.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #20169
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That last bit is a decade long push/pull for me. I've learned to pre-clean / pre-store certain parts of the house before the cleaner gets here.

One way to lesser the "what" part of it is to maintain the same person(s) for a prolonged period. Some can be taught what specifics "clean this room" entails and eventually you don't have to micromanage that segment.

So I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.
I just feel uncomfortable telling people to do things I'm capable of.

Even running my EC business, my training method is "get in the truck with me, watch and help where you can."
I love teaching the nuance of do this this way because of XYZ...but if I have to tell a guy to grab the other side of something heavy that Im lifting, hes probably just getting let go because "its just not working out"

The idea of telling someone - yes Id like you to scrub my toilet and shower, mop the floors and dust weekly just makes me cringe. even though i really really want someone to do those things because my wife sucks at it...
Old 08-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #20170
molson
General Manager

The amount of effort it takes to get a home improvement project job done, even when the work is done entirely by someone else, always boggles my mind. I wish I was more handy. It's just not a skill set I've ever acquired. And I'm just not mechanically inclined.

My girlfriend's parents bought us a new exterior sliding door and screen door that goes out onto the deck for my birthday back in June. That was very nice, but I was just bracing for the headache it was going to be to actually get it installed. They said they'd take care of everything. But, they were only in town for a few weeks, and now, almost 3 months later, I'm still fighting with Lowe's about it.

Writing multiple emails up and down the corporate structure, trying to find the right person that could get this going. Confirming and re-confirming appointments - the contractor still not showing up, or showing up without the screen door, or installing a defective sliding door that could shatter at any moment. Lowe's told us that the door could shatter, but that didn't make them move any faster in getting it fixed. Calling in, and getting transferred around to various departments, including to plumbing at one point for some reason. Physically going into the store until we could find some kind of manager who could push all this forward. Meanwhile, this death trap of a defective sliding door, still absent the screen door.

It's just exhausting. I'm someone who gets the wrong meal and a restaurant and just goes with it because I just want to eat and get out of there. That approach actually works pretty well when it's a honest, innocent mistake. They feel really bad and I end up getting lots of free stuff. I'll never forget the lobster/steak combo I got at a nice restaurant in town when they fucked something up and I responded almost like it was my fault.

With Lowe's though, that approach doesn't work. You have to make a scene to move up the chain. They got really offended by my email today that said that they were all super-helpful before we signed the contract, and now they pretty much ignoring us after we paid. Lowe's and the contractor are just blaming each other and neither is trying to fix anything.

I know the initial mistake was going through Lowe's in the first place, but that wasn't my call. I wasn't supposed to have to have anything to do with this. I didn't want or need the door.

Last edited by molson : 08-26-2020 at 03:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #20171
spleen1015
Coordinator

That sounds like a nightmare. Good luck man.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #20172
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The corporate system is not a bug, it's a feature

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #20173
molson
General Manager

I had another thing that needed to be fixed, went through a local company - they answered the phone, showed up when they said they would, fixed what they came to fix on the first visit, threw in a complimentary inspection of some other stuff, charged a fair price, followed up afterwards to make sure everything was working right. After this Lowe's experience, I was basically in love with them. I left a Google review that was almost embarrassing in how glowing it was. It probably comes off as a fake review from a company employee or something.

Last edited by molson : 08-26-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #20174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's the point in having someone else clean your house if you have to prep the house before they get there?

Well, it IS pretty specific stuff.

For example, rational placement of glassware and silverware is well beyond the capabilities of our regular. It's faster & easier for me to make sure the dishwasher is emptied & put away than it is for me to try to go behind them and try to unfuck it.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #20175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had another thing that needed to be fixed, went through a local company - they answered the phone, showed up when they said they would, fixed what they came to fix on the first visit, threw in a complimentary inspection of some other stuff, charged a fair price, followed up afterwards to make sure everything was working right.

And from this single post I could successfully deduce that you do NOT live in/around Athens, GA :d
Old 08-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #20176
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The amount of effort it takes to get a home improvement project job done, even when the work is done entirely by someone else, always boggles my mind. I wish I was more handy. It's just not a skill set I've ever acquired. And I'm just not mechanically inclined.

My girlfriend's parents bought us a new exterior sliding door and screen door that goes out onto the deck for my birthday back in June. That was very nice, but I was just bracing for the headache it was going to be to actually get it installed. They said they'd take care of everything. But, they were only in town for a few weeks, and now, almost 3 months later, I'm still fighting with Lowe's about it.

Writing multiple emails up and down the corporate structure, trying to find the right person that could get this going. Confirming and re-confirming appointments - the contractor still not showing up, or showing up without the screen door, or installing a defective sliding door that could shatter at any moment. Lowe's told us that the door could shatter, but that didn't make them move any faster in getting it fixed. Calling in, and getting transferred around to various departments, including to plumbing at one point for some reason. Physically going into the store until we could find some kind of manager who could push all this forward. Meanwhile, this death trap of a defective sliding door, still absent the screen door.

It's just exhausting. I'm someone who gets the wrong meal and a restaurant and just goes with it because I just want to eat and get out of there. That approach actually works pretty well when it's a honest, innocent mistake. They feel really bad and I end up getting lots of free stuff. I'll never forget the lobster/steak combo I got at a nice restaurant in town when they fucked something up and I responded almost like it was my fault.

With Lowe's though, that approach doesn't work. You have to make a scene to move up the chain. They got really offended by my email today that said that they were all super-helpful before we signed the contract, and now they pretty much ignoring us after we paid. Lowe's and the contractor are just blaming each other and neither is trying to fix anything.

I know the initial mistake was going through Lowe's in the first place, but that wasn't my call. I wasn't supposed to have to have anything to do with this. I didn't want or need the door.

Call Lowes and ask for a refund/order cancellation.
Hell even Thumbtack or Home advisor is preferable to Lowe's.

Here is a (not so ) secret. Lowe's pay way below market rate. About 35% or more below locally. And right now every trade industry I know of is swamped. We have a backlog that 8x normal currently. If my choice is between do anything for anyone else or do somenthing for a corp thats going to pay me 60 cents on the dollar and hold my money for 120 days...I'm simply ignoring them. I suspect thats what you are fighting.

Lowe's cant actually help you because they dont have the skill they are relying on the sub contractor. The sub is ignoring Lowe's and thereby you - because Lowe's business practices suck
Old 08-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #20177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The idea of telling someone - yes Id like you to scrub my toilet and shower, mop the floors and dust weekly just makes me cringe. even though i really really want someone to do those things because my wife sucks at it...

Being able to those things off my list is -- quite possibly literally -- one of the reasons I'm still alive today.

I spend roughly 24-36 hours a week with absolute dread of impending Wednesdays because it's fucking garbage day. A hatred that often enough has me questioning the purpose of continued existence.

Adding more shit like that to my list? Negative outcomes man, negative outcomes.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #20178
Butter
Coordinator

Is your garbage day super involved or something? Are you driving the truck around?
Old 08-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #20179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Is your garbage day super involved or something? Are you driving the truck around?

I have a pretty dim view of walking up my driveway even if there wasn't garbage involved.

I've always hated garbage day but the past six months -- with increased home time / activity -- have made that worse by at least 2-3 notches. (roughly the increased amount of household trash generated now vs 'normally")
Old 08-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #20180
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

For future reference, Home Depot is not any better. I can sympathize with that last part. There is always a clause, a term or something that the purchaser was made aware of and I was not made aware of.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #20181
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I forget whether it was lowe's or home depot, but they installed a bunch of doors in my parent's house and it was a smooth process.

The reason they have new doors is because one night I was driving home and had the flu bad. Their house was between where I was coming from and my house. I used my spare key and puked loudly and violently downstairs for like 15 minutes and they never heard me. At that point, I was like, y'all gotta change out these doors. Someone could have easily broke in, ransacked and murder them. The new doors at least would be harder to breach. The old one had so much glass you could break it and unlock the door in 5 seconds.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #20182
molson
General Manager

Is it dangerous to respond to text spammers? There's one I really want to fuck with, but the internet says I shouldn't. But what does the internet know.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #20183
molson
General Manager

Also, I love garbage day. Love it. I run around the house looking for crap to fill one more bag.

I only have to move by garbage bin about 4 feet though. The advantages of living in a crappy neighborhood.

Last edited by molson : 08-27-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #20184
thesloppy
Pro Starter

A classic.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #20185
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am going back and looking old episodes of Man vs Food. I will never understand the love of food with extreme heat. I am not talking about spicy or even really spicy food. I am talking about food that just has heat.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #20186
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was reading something from the city magazine and discovered that we could get a second garbage bin for like $5/mo. Since we are always doing an unlimited amount of projects around here, having that extra bin to toss stuff into has been aces.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #20187
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am going back and looking old episodes of Man vs Food. I will never understand the love of food with extreme heat. I am not talking about spicy or even really spicy food. I am talking about food that just has heat.

I love spicy food but I sweat at the drop of a hat. I'd need to do those challenges bare ass naked in an ice tub.

I love that show though. I like the guy who replaced the dude who Twittered his job away better than the original, I think.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #20188
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I don't get that either. There are folks that gladly pay $20 to get Amazon to ship them some single piece of food that sends them into 7 hours of abdominal cramping.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #20189
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Also, I love garbage day. Love it. I run around the house looking for crap to fill one more bag.

I only have to move by garbage bin about 4 feet though. The advantages of living in a crappy neighborhood.

This statement, more than any other thing you have ever said in this forum, illustrates you don't have kids.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #20190
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I love that show though. I like the guy who replaced the dude who Twittered his job away better than the original, I think.

I have lost all respect for you.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #20191
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I don't get that either. There are folks that gladly pay $20 to get Amazon to ship them some single piece of food that sends them into 7 hours of abdominal cramping.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2JGNJ5ZPJT4YC

Sadly, the Haribo Sugar-Free Gummy Bear reviews have been mixed in with the normal variety.

SI

Old 08-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #20192
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
https://www.amazon.com/review/R2JGNJ5ZPJT4YC

Sadly, the Haribo Sugar-Free Gummy Bear reviews have been mixed in with the normal variety.

SI

Ha!

I hate to admit I ordered a 5lb bag of gummy bears off of Amazon some months ago and it really was a horrible couple weeks for pretty much the exact reasons mentioned. Certainly never stopped eating them until the bag was entirely gone, tho.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #20193
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I remember seeing a bottle of Rectum Ripper brand hot sauce. Who chooses to eat that? Who is looking for a meal that comes with a burning rectum?
Old 08-27-2020, 11:54 PM   #20194
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Ha!

I hate to admit I ordered a 5lb bag of gummy bears off of Amazon some months ago and it really was a horrible couple weeks for pretty much the exact reasons mentioned. Certainly never stopped eating them until the bag was entirely gone, tho.
Name checks out.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:53 AM   #20195
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I remember seeing a bottle of Rectum Ripper brand hot sauce. Who chooses to eat that? Who is looking for a meal that comes with a burning rectum?

I’ve had a bottle of that - it’s good!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #20196
Edward64
Head Coach

I think Harry is a good guy (just a little wussified by wife) but honestly don't understand why he is still in the US.

Shouldn't he be in the UK doing what Prince should be doing. I guess he is only Prince by name only or a former Prince but doesn't seem right he is not there and putting up a brave front, trying to say the right things, and maybe visiting a hospital here and there.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #20197
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks cool but it'll be a long adoption process.

https://apnews.com/951c5f396b4277967e3e94f24c71ef68
Quote:
The decades-old dream of zipping around in the sky as simply as driving on highways may be becoming less illusory.

Japan’s SkyDrive Inc., among the myriads of “flying car” projects around the world, has carried out a successful though modest test flight with one person aboard.

In a video shown to reporters on Friday, a contraption that looked like a slick motorcycle with propellers lifted several feet (1-2 meters) off the ground, and hovered in a netted area for four minutes.

Tomohiro Fukuzawa, who heads the SkyDrive effort, said he hopes “the flying car” can be made into a real-life product by 2023, but he acknowledged that making it safe was critical.
https://storage.googleapis.com/afs-p...3b267/800.jpeg

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-29-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #20198
Ironhead
College Prospect

I have been reading the Dark Tower books by Stephen King. I came across this passage today and I had to stop reading for a while. There was something so deeply sad and yet beautiful and true about the way he describes the memories of those who have gone on before us that really hit me like a ton of bricks. I read it to my wife and it had the same impact on her.
"Now the two of them rode silently towards town, both lost in their own thoughts. Their way took them past the Delgado house. Roland looked up and saw Susan sitting in her window, a bright vision in the gray light of that fall morning. His heart leaped up and although he didn't know it then, it was how he would remember her most clearly forever after - lovely Susan, the girl at the window. So do we pass the ghosts that haunt us later in our lives; they sit undramatically by the roadside like poor beggars, and we see them only from the corners of our eyes, if we see them at all. The idea that they have been waiting there for us rarely if ever crosses our minds. Yet they do wait, and when we have passed, they gather up their bundles of memory and fall in behind, treading in our footsteps and catching up, little by little."

Last edited by Ironhead : 08-29-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #20199
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

King is brilliant and The Dark Tower is amazing. I just reread the Stand. Just as good the second time around.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #20200
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Stand is maybe my favorite book of all time

SI