Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In other news, Justin Timberlake is ...

Major Winchester comes out | AccessAtlanta

M*A*S*H star and Disney voice David Ogden Stiers recently confirmed what many probably already knew: he’s gay.

In a March interview with the blog Gossip-Boy.com, the 66-year-old actor known for his turn as Major Winchester explains he’s never fully opened up about his sexual orientation because of professional reasons.

“One is that I enjoy working, and even though many have this idealistic belief that the entertainment industry and studios like Walt Disney are gay friendly; for the most part they are, but that doesn’t mean for them that business does not come first. … From the late 1980s until about seven or eight years ago, you would find certain individuals coming up to you, me, and advocating the position that since we were doing family fare that it would be best were the actors to maintain a certain palatability to parents.”

I thought the comment was interesting largely because I don't really think most parents know who the heck does the voices in cartoons unless they happen to recognize them. Sure, there are voice geeks like me who will hit imdb to look up something that sounds familiar that I can't place but I never really thought it was all that common to notice. I mean, can you name what Disney work Stiers has done (without looking it up)?

JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Major Winchester comes out | AccessAtlanta

M*A*S*H star and Disney voice David Ogden Stiers recently confirmed what many probably already knew: he’s gay.

In a March interview with the blog Gossip-Boy.com, the 66-year-old actor known for his turn as Major Winchester explains he’s never fully opened up about his sexual orientation because of professional reasons.

“One is that I enjoy working, and even though many have this idealistic belief that the entertainment industry and studios like Walt Disney are gay friendly; for the most part they are, but that doesn’t mean for them that business does not come first. … From the late 1980s until about seven or eight years ago, you would find certain individuals coming up to you, me, and advocating the position that since we were doing family fare that it would be best were the actors to maintain a certain palatability to parents.”

I thought the comment was interesting largely because I don't really think most parents know who the heck does the voices in cartoons unless they happen to recognize them. Sure, there are voice geeks like me who will hit imdb to look up something that sounds familiar that I can't place but I never really thought it was all that common to notice. I mean, can you name what Disney work Stiers has done (without looking it up)?

I wouldn't even know what Stiers looks like (without looking it up).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I wouldn't even know what Stiers looks like (without looking it up).

About like he used to look, just older.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't even know who he is, let alone what he sounds like or what voices he's done.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, how in the hell are there two people posting in close proximity that don't know what Major Charles Emerson Winchester looks like?

edit to add: Some of our too cool for school posters might be able to place him better if I mentioned him playing Rev. Purdy on Dead Zone or maybe Oberoth on Stargate: Atlantis

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-06-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Quote:
Okay, how in the hell are there two people posting in close proximity that don't know what Major Charles Emerson Winchester looks like?

Oooooh, THAT Major Winchester.

Nope, still nothing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

He was the Dad in Better Off Dead
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 05-06-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

It's a sign of the apocolypse.

-Cork

Last edited by Cork : 05-06-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Too bad he wasn't from Texas.. that way someone could have used the 'Only thing that comes out of Texas is Stiers and Queers...'
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Justin Timberlake is David Ogden Stiers?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

I probably would have gotten that clue if it hadn't been 15+ years since I've seen that movie.

Probably gonna make JIMGA pop a vessel if I tell him I've never heard of Dead Zone (movie or TV show...?) or Stargate: Atlantis.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Considering that somewhere in the world there has been a rerun of MASH airing at any given moment continuously for the past 15 years or so, I'm hard pressed to believe that there are many humans left on the planet that haven't seen every episode at least twice. Coma and alien abduction are pretty much the only exceptions.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-06-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Ok. Now I have placed him. I was never a big fan of M*A*S*H, so while

I now can place him in the show, but I never knew what his character was called. The only names from MASH I remember are Hawkeye, Radar and Hot Lips. And I am not even sure about that last one.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Justin Timberlake is David Ogden Stiers?

No, Justin Timberlake is from Texas. You're just confused.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

edit to add: Some of our too cool for school posters might be able to place him better if I mentioned him playing Rev. Purdy on Dead Zone or maybe Oberoth on Stargate: Atlantis

They're too cool to use Google.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Probably gonna make JIMGA pop a vessel if I tell him I've never heard of Dead Zone (movie or TV show...?) or Stargate: Atlantis.

I think my vessel just popped
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

David Ogden Stiers is bringing sexy back!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

We don't watch any Disney stuff, and I don't know who this guy is, but lurker is always recognizing voices from commercials when I had no idea it was anybody famous.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've seen like one episode of MASH and that was a very long time ago.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

Granted, I had to look up the SG:A reference myself since but even I occasionally watched a Dead Zone episode.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Considering that somewhere in the world there has been a rerun of MASH airing at any given moment for the past 15 years or so, I'm hard pressed to believe that there are many humans left on the planet that haven't seen every episode at least twice. Coma and alien abduction are pretty much the only exceptions.

If I see it on, I turn the channel.

Based on my childhood experiences, I associate MASH being on TV with no cartoons, super hero shows or sitcoms that I enjoyed at that age being on. I remember always being a little despressed when I heard that opening music and saw the footage of that helicopter.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #22
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I used IMDB.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #23
Ksyrup

I can honestly say I've never watched a full episode even once. All I can recall of the show generally is Alan Alda's smart ass one-liners and that one dude dressed as a woman. That's about it.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'll come out and admit it. I'm not ashamed.

I like M*A*S*H.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can honestly say I've never watched a full episode even once.

So when did the aliens bring you back?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I can honestly say I've never watched a full episode even once. All I can recall of the show generally is Alan Alda's smart ass one-liners and that one dude dressed as a woman. That's about it.

I never really watched it because the theme song was so depressing. To this day, I frantically grab the remote when I here the dreaded noise coming on.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I think it's been scientifically proven that everyone in this thread watched the series finale of MASH, so you all might as well get off your high horses.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #28
Ksyrup

Quote:

We were asked if we could place his voice work without looking it up - an assumption that everyone would know who he is - so I deemed it appropriate to point out that for some people, his initial assumption was faulty.

Or, I can just simply answer the original quesiton:

No, I cannot.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #29
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
I can honestly say I've never watched a full episode even once.
MULE FRITTERS!!!
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #30
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I've seen like one episode of MASH and that was a very long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If I see it on, I turn the channel.

Based on my childhood experiences, I associate MASH being on TV with no cartoons, super hero shows or sitcoms that I enjoyed at that age being on. I remember always being a little despressed when I heard that opening music and saw the footage of that helicopter.

Quote:

+1 to all.

This is why in the never-ending death draft I think the death of the M*A*S*H guy is not as valuable as some people in that thread think. People of my generation and younger don't really give a damn about MASH.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #31
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

HORSE HOCKEY!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I never really watched it because the theme song was so depressing.

Geez, if you recall the lyrics that accompanied the song in the film you'd really be depressed. Then again, kind of tough for a song titled "Suicide Is Painless" to be a real toe-tapper
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #33
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
+1 to all.

This is why in the never-ending death draft I think the death of the M*A*S*H guy is not as valuable as some people in that thread think. People of my generation and younger don't really give a damn about MASH.

You just don't give up do you? You are the Rich Rodriquez of FOFC Drafts...the most negative guy out there towards picks besides your own.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #34
Ksyrup

When did the damned show run? I was born in 1971. I don't even remember it being on when I was "TV aware." I definitely remember it in reruns, but WTF did I care about that type of show as a kid? I don't know, I just never watched it and it never interested me.

Now, Sanford and Son, I watched that shit all day and night.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You just don't give up do you? You are the Rich Rodriquez of FOFC Drafts...the most negative guy out there towards picks besides your own.

LEAVE RICH ROD ALONE
Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh, him (wait, I thought that made me too nerdy, not too cool, what with Dead Zone and Stargate being known for their extensive sci-fi popular kid followings )

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #37
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was born in 1971. I don't even remember it being on when I was "TV aware." I definitely remember it in reruns, but WTF did I care about that type of show as a kid? I don't know, I just never watched it and it never interested me.

I was born in 70 and watched it. I can even remember getting a extra point quiz in History class the day after the last episode of MASH aired with questions drawn from the show/Korean War.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #38
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Geez, if you recall the lyrics that accompanied the song in the film you'd really be depressed. Then again, kind of tough for a song titled "Suicide Is Painless" to be a real toe-tapper

Yeah, that makes it even worse. Who knows, if the song had been a little more snappy, it would have been a little more successful.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #39
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh, him (wait, I thought that made me too nerdy, not too cool, what with Dead Zone and Stargate being known for their extensive sci-fi popular kid followings )

SI

I was going to point that out - at least about something called Stargate Atlantis - but Dead Zone sounds like some early 90s slasher flick, so I wasn't so sure.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #40
Kodos
Resident Alien

My 16-year-old nephew is a big M*A*S*H fan.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
My 16-year-old nephew is a big M*A*S*H fan.

How old is 16 in earth years?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #42
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, that makes it even worse. Who knows, if the song had been a little more snappy, it would have been a little more successful.

Well, with Charles Emmerson Winchester, they could get away with using the Charles in Charge theme...

Charles in charge of Our days and our nights.....
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #43
heybrad
Norm!!!

BULL COOKIES!!!
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #44
Ksyrup

Well hell, JIMGA, if you had just told me from the beginning that he was Dr. Jumba, I would have known EXACTLY who you were talking about!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was going to point that out - at least about something called Stargate Atlantis - but Dead Zone sounds like some early 90s slasher flick, so I wasn't so sure.

Nah, it was a nice little sci-fi show (based on a movie, based on a Stephen King book so maybe you're not that far off) that was on USA and ended a couple of years ago. It starred Anthony Michael Hall and he still barely looked 30 when it ended despite him being closer to 50.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-06-2009 at 01:00 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #46
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

First, this was a very on-topic comment. Second, if you actually look at my posts in a draft I would say that I praise picks more than I am negative about them -- you just notice the negative ones more. I am also negative about my own picks. So, perhaps don't be so sensitive and just take my discussion of draft picks for what they are worth -- a discussion.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #47
Ksyrup

That show aired until 1983? I definitely don't remember it at all, at least not as anything other than an old show in reruns. But I don't specifically recall watching anything on network TV before the mid-80s other than Three's Company. Maybe That's Incredible.

I think my kids watch too much TV compared to me growing up...
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #48
Pyser
Pro Rookie

what the hell is that thread title supposed to mean
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #49
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have no idea who this guy is, or why I should care that he's a tiger for cock.

I also have likely only actively watched MASH 1-2 times in my entire life, and the only actor I would recognize as being someone from that show is Alan Alda.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #50
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Now I have the damn MASH theme song in my head. And I am of the group that also never really watched the show. Granted I was born in 1985, but still.