High School Varsity

Garden State

IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #52
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
korme, I know, guess you have to have been there, huh?

Shocker, a smart ass reply. Just saying there is a difference between generations watching the movie. For instance, Harold and Maude could appeal to you in a much different way than it would appeal to your father.

But, ignore that. On with the curmudgeonly responses!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #53
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I have a hard time putting anything pre-1980 on there - even the ones I like best (Casablanca and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) have great and iconic scenes, but also a fair amount of slow moments where the dated filmmaking stands out (at least to me).

I'm a huge sucker for anything Christopher Nolan has done, so I'll go with The Prestige.

(Although if I'm going solely on re-watchability? It's a toss-up between Varsity Blues, Dazed and Confused, Fired Up, or The Rock.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #54
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Shocker, a smart ass reply. Just saying there is a difference between generations watching the movie. For instance, Harold and Maude could appeal to you in a much different way than it would appeal to your father.

You misunderstood, I actually was agreeing with you. And to have been there meant the right place (when the movie came out) and right time (being the right age).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #55
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
The Breakfast Club
Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #56
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Books and songs favorites I can understand but movies tend to bring out more extreme reactions, I think. Wes Anderson movies? Seriously? Not to mention Casablanca and Bull Durham.

Right but I think this is not about critical choice but personal choice. I like Life Aquatic, I know it's a maligned movie, but I think really that all Wes Anderson movies have layers to them in regards to characters (the main story arc with little character development arcs). Wes Anderson movies are odd (I must confess that I have not seen Bottlerocket in its entirety) but they tend to be a wird comedy-drama story (save Fantastic Mister Fox which is an adaption).

I just like that movie, I identify with it. I think there are just some movies you can watch and never feel bored with or tired of. I also think there are two sets of movies: ones you watch and pay attention(The Third Man, Fight Club, Inception) and ones you watch and tune out (and just enjoy - Predator, Commando, Raiders of the Lost Ark)

MASH would've been my second choice, I love that film.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 03-13-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #57
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

Maybe I'm a curmudgeon but Harold and Maude is one of the three worst movies I have ever seen. I've never understood why anyone likes it. YMMV.

Favorite: Can't believe that on a message board overloaded with men of a certain age this is only the second vote for Star Wars.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #58
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Right but I think this is not about critical choice but personal choice. I like Life Aquatic, I know it's a maligned movie, but I think really that all Wes Anderson movies have layers to them in regards to characters (the main story arc with little character development arcs). Wes Anderson movies are odd (I must confess that I have not seen Bottlerocket in its entirety) but they tend to be a wird comedy-drama story (save Fantastic Mister Fox which is an adaption).

I just like that movie, I identify with it. I think there are just some movies you can watch and never feel bored with or tired of. I also think there are two sets of movies: ones you watch and pay attention(The Third Man, Fight Club, Inception) and ones you watch and tune out (and just enjoy - Predator, Commando, Raiders of the Lost Ark)

MASH would've been my second choice, I love that film.

Yeah, that goes back to my earlier point about movies bringing out the extremes in personal tastes - moreso than any other entertainment. There are movies in my top 20 that are probably severely hated by others, maybe even here - and that is perfectly fine and expected.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #59
Kodos
Resident Alien

If we're talking movies you can rewatch, then Jaws is way up on the list. Whenever I happen across it, I watch it. Yet it is not in my DVD collection.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #60
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have real trouble picking a single favorite movie. I can easily list favorites by genre.

I think if I'm really pressed on the issue, I might go with Terminator 2.

Now by genre:
Romantic comedy - When Harry Met Sally
Sci Fi - Terminator 2
Action - Die Hard
Horror - Aliens
Romance - Jerry Maguire
Classic movie - Casablanca
Comedy - Airplane

Edit! Movie featuring a hottie in leather - Underworld

Last edited by Kodos : 03-13-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #61
Subby
lolzcat

Goodfellas and like a lot of folks have said about their favorites, #2 isn't even close.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #62
hoopsguy
General Manager

Guess I'm the 2nd to list Pulp Fiction, although #2 (and #3) are very close.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #63
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I was tempted to list by genres since it's hard to compare apples and oranges. I mean, how does one compare Raiders, Baraka, PTA and Gettysburg?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #64
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
You misunderstood, I actually was agreeing with you. And to have been there meant the right place (when the movie came out) and right time (being the right age).

Then I apologize, sometimes it is hard to identify demeanor via text

Last edited by korme : 03-13-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #65
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Guess I'm the 2nd to list Pulp Fiction, although #2 (and #3) are very close.

Yeah, Fight Club is right on it's ass for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #66
Suicane75
Coordinator

Con Air
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #67
Dreghorn2
n00b

Lawrence of Arabia
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #68
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, tough. I think it might be different on a different day, but today I'm saying Empire Records. A very close #2 is The Princess Bride.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #69
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

Hard for me to come up with a solid #1.....Memento and Pulp Fiction
tucking fypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #70
Daimyo
College Starter

Citizen Kane. I think that's the only movie I watched a second time immediately after my first viewing because I was so in awe of it. 12 Angry Men is probably the closest after that and then for third I'd probably go with Godfather or something from Kubrik -- probably Lolita if I had to pick right now.

Last edited by Daimyo : 03-13-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #71
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Sports: All the Right Moves
Non-Sports: The Last Picture Show
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #72
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I watch a ton of movies... and I havent seen a lot of these. how to judge best....

in college I watched dazed and confused for 67 strait days (at least once a day)
but these days, I very very rarely watch a movies twice.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #73
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it's my favorite Wes Anderson... it's tough between that and Rushmore. But it always astounds me how universally panned it was by critics. I don't think I'll understand that.

I actively hated this movie when I saw it.

But then, I generally don't get nor care for Wes Anderson's work.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #74
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Sports: Field of Dreams
Non-Sports: Red Dawn (1984)
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #75
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I actively hated this movie when I saw it.

But then, I generally don't get nor care for Wes Anderson's work.

Yikes. Was there anything in particular about Life Aquatic that you hated? Not trying to steer you clear, as much as trying to see what you see.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #76
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
in college I watched dazed and confused for 67 strait days (at least once a day)

Were you my roommate?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #77
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Were you my roommate?

Or half the people from my high school?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #78
Blackadar
Retired

I don't really have one because it all depends on my mood. So it could vary from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to Godfather to Lord of the Rings to The Matrix or half a dozen other movies.

I do know my favorite "B" movie though:

The Poseidon Adventure!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #79
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yikes. Was there anything in particular about Life Aquatic that you hated? Not trying to steer you clear, as much as trying to see what you see.

It was probably as much about where I saw it (trapped at a friend's house unable to leave or turn it off) as the movie itself, but it was boring and pointless, IMO, and I am not sure I laughed once.

Like I said before, though, I willfully admit Wes Anderson is very much not my style. I havent seen a movie by him yet that I wanted to see again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #80
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It was probably as much about where I saw it (trapped at a friend's house unable to leave or turn it off) as the movie itself, but it was boring and pointless, IMO, and I am not sure I laughed once.

Like I said before, though, I willfully admit Wes Anderson is very much not my style. I havent seen a movie by him yet that I wanted to see again.

It is a dry humor. I tend to view his works as drama with some comedy thrown in. I hate to use the word, but his works are whimsical and immersive. They really tend to be stories that have no real conflict and then tend to be about relationships with unlikeable people. It can be off-putting with an art house air to them. Though I think Fantastic Mr. Fox is a beautiful movie, I like Royal Tennenbaums and Life Aquatic, the next tier would be Rushmore and Darjeeling Limited, with Moonrise Kingdom and Bottlerocket as incompletes because I haven't watched Moonrise enough, and I haven't watched Bottle Rocket at all in its entirety.

I'm still waiting for Vampire Weekend to soundtrack a Wes Anderson film.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #81
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Were you my roommate?

not unless you went to miami (the real one)! and I believe you have said some age related stuff in some thread that makes you much younger than me...

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #82
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

At least that's what I gave the highest IMDB rating. But it swings from month to month.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #83
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
It is a dry humor. I tend to view his works as drama with some comedy thrown in. I hate to use the word, but his works are whimsical and immersive. They really tend to be stories that have no real conflict and then tend to be about relationships with unlikeable people. It can be off-putting with an art house air to them. Though I think Fantastic Mr. Fox is a beautiful movie, I like Royal Tennenbaums and Life Aquatic, the next tier would be Rushmore and Darjeeling Limited, with Moonrise Kingdom and Bottlerocket as incompletes because I haven't watched Moonrise enough, and I haven't watched Bottle Rocket at all in its entirety.

I'm still waiting for Vampire Weekend to soundtrack a Wes Anderson film.

The only Wes I didn'tt like was Darjeeling, but I confess I've only seen it 2-3 times, comparatively I've seen Rushmore and LA probably 40-50 times, RT 15-20, etc. Also love Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Moonrise. Bottle Rocket is ok.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #84
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Tough, tough question for me. Maybe "O' Brother Where Are Thou", though "The Big Lebowski" is close up there, and lurking around are "Royal Tennenbaums" and "Big Fish".

Maybe I'll just go safe and pick "Empire Strikes Back"