Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #15751
Butter
Coordinator

My wife and I were just talking about this... 80's sitcoms that hold up as Night Court came on a local digital channel the other night. Night Court does not hold up well. Family Ties does not hold up well. I think Cheers definitely does. I remember really enjoying Benson, but I haven't seen an episode of that in 15 years.

Last edited by Butter : 04-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #15752
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
My wife and I were just talking about this... 80's sitcoms that hold up as Night Court came on a local digital channel the other night. Night Court does not hold up well. Family Ties does not hold up well. I think Cheers definitely does. I remember really enjoying Benson, but I haven't seen an episode of that in 15 years.

All I watch is Antenna TV, which is reruns of classic sitcoms every night, Family Ties, Good Times, Sanford & Son, Threes Company etc.. I think Family Ties holds up but you have to be prepared for a very period specific theme. It's so very 80's. The writing is superb though.

Night Courts problem is that the first 2 years they were finding their footing and the cast and tone are not quite set yet. The peak, which would be seasons 3-5 are TREMENDOUS, and then it starts to fall off a cliff and got really bad at the end.

Edit: And I wish I could go back in time and tell a 10 year old me to appreciate Meredith Baxter Birney more.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 04-06-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #15753
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think this is my third year away from it.

Honestly, it's been a relief much more than anything else.

I've been going through box scores the past two days and realize I'm unaware of like 90% of roster changes. Seeing Jaso leading off for the Pirates last night threw me for a loop.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #15754
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I hate it when one of the kids gets barfy at night.

Reminds me of the last time I played jellybean roulette...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #15755
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The random 80s show I always wanted to revisit and have never been able to is Benson.

This show was a dinner table discussion at my house the other night, due to the passing of actor James Noble.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #15756
Radii
Head Coach

Of the shows I remember watching in the 80s, I think Cheers holds up the best today. At the time Night Court was my favorite, but the occasional re-run that I've seen have just not been good.

Before the past year I would have said that I would expect that The Cosby Show would hold up extremely well. Now its just impossible to watch.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #15757
cuervo72
Head Coach

I was thinking about sitcom staying-power last night watching Modern Family reruns on USA. It's not that they don't hold up, but I'm not sure I can watch the same episodes very many times. I'm not yet feeling the same about Parks & Rec, which is Esquire's go-to syndicated show.

I haven't rewatched much from the 80s. There's something different about watching those vs watching older stuff like Lucy, Bob Newhart, Dick Van Dyke, MTM. It's almost like I don't want to risk tarnishing the memories of them (which I didn't necessarily have from the other ones).

Trying to watch something like Gilligan's Island again as an adult is...tough. Other than for the eye candy.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #15758
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I find the shows I enjoyed at least partially for their camp value, even at the time, (whether intentionally or not) hold up the best. Like Dukes of Hazzard? Oy yeah, that show is still ridiculously shitty, and enjoyable. CHiPs, too. Something like Good Times? Not so much. That show is just a bummer on so many levels.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-06-2016 at 01:44 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #15759
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think Welcome Back Kotter would be very painful to rewatch now.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-06-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #15760
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I wonder how Wings would hold up. I was a big fan, but even then it was kind of cheesy; I don't know that I could enjoy it now.

I actually rewatched the first episode of Cheers the other day. It was not awesome, but I did recognize that it was the first episode. But both of my kids were like "what is this crap?"
Old 04-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #15761
molson
General Manager

I grew up near Boston, loved 80s TV, and to this day - have never watched a single episode of Cheers.

I think I was just too young when it started (4), so I never got past that childhood mindset of it being a "boring grown-up show". Even though I loved Three's Company as a small kid despite not getting most of the jokes.

Last edited by molson : 04-06-2016 at 04:23 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #15762
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I wonder how Wings would hold up. I was a big fan, but even then it was kind of cheesy; I don't know that I could enjoy it now.

I've wondered about this one as well.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #15763
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how well The Cosby Show holds up these days

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-06-2016 at 04:43 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #15764
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

I actually rewatched the first episode of Cheers the other day. It was not awesome, but I did recognize that it was the first episode. But both of my kids were like "what is this crap?"

Yeah, it's tough getting new viewers into old shows sometimes. With Cheers I remember on one of the milestone episodes (200?) they recalled that their first week they were basically the lowest rated show (was John McGloughlin the guy who hosted that? Can't remember.) But how many slow episodes - or even seasons - do you expect them to make it through?

(This happens to me with anything that I want to share - the episode when wife/kids try it ends up being the clunker of the bunch. "No I swear, this is really funny!")
Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #15765
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I feel like the vintage TV shows do merit it's own thread
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:48 AM   #15766
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For the longest time I was wondering why anybody wasn't showing Love Boat? Admittedly it's a ridiculously horrible show...that's beside the point. It has nostalgic and camp value, it ran for 10 seasons, and was one of Aaron Spelling's most successful shows, so you think it'd be all over TV, but it was seemingly non-existent as far as the 21st century was concerned. Well, since TV works in waves/cycles/whatevs a few years ago Love Boat was suddenly on like 4 different stations...and Good Lord that shit is terrible! For better or worse.

The '70s stuff can be fun, but the later stuff in particular is just a slog, as it became some sort of old-folks centric production, with like ancient vaudeville stars limping through 15 minute moralizations about orphans, and being nice to your grandparents. Ponderous.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-07-2016 at 01:51 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #15767
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Eh, you watch it but later can't remember what happened
Old 04-07-2016, 02:34 AM   #15768
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Most of the time it's pretty decent, but occasionally it makes you feel woozy and weak in the knees.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:38 AM   #15769
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ok seriously, I'm like super pissed he's a douchebag rapist because I will occasionally see the show pop up on hulu while scrolling and I'll want to watch it for a half second but then I'll quickly remember.

God I hope those actors/actresses all didn't need their residual checks to make ends meet.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #15770
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 04-07-2016, 06:20 AM   #15771
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Ok seriously, I'm like super pissed he's a douchebag rapist because I will occasionally see the show pop up on hulu while scrolling and I'll want to watch it for a half second but then I'll quickly remember.

God I hope those actors/actresses all didn't need their residual checks to make ends meet.

Nah, I'm sure Tempestt Bledsoe has a lot of shit going on.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:25 AM   #15772
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I will never, ever understand this way of looking at things. While I'm reasonably confident that Bill Cosby is a serial rapist, I'm also reasonably confident that Heathcliff Huxtable never raped anyone. *shurg*
Old 04-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #15773
Dutch
"Dutch"

Agreed. Bill may have turned out to be a bad seed, but The Cosby Show was good stuff.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #15774
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I probably have significant problems with suspending disbelief. The Cos was a big part of my childhood. I also am not a big fan of the "Hey" song played at sporting events because that dude liked to rape kids.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #15775
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I will never, ever understand this way of looking at things. While I'm reasonably confident that Bill Cosby is a serial rapist, I'm also reasonably confident that Heathcliff Huxtable never raped anyone. *shurg*

You really can't understand why someone wouldn't want to go back and watch a show that was almost entirely built upon Cosby's wholesome image?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #15776
Kodos
Resident Alien

Count me as one who can't separate the actor as a person from their roles. Braveheart? Great movie. Dead to me now. Anything with Cosby? Done. Naked Gun movies? Dead because of O.J.

But then Ben and I have gone around about not rooting for teams or athletes because they are jerks off the field.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-07-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #15777
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oof, O.J. The Naked Gun movies are ones that I wouldn't mind seeing the kids' take on, but I'm not sure how to explain O.J. "Well, he was funny and likable back then. Before all the murder stuff." (Ok, this is assuming my kids even know who O.J. is. I'm not totally sure they do.)

Speaking of, tried watching a bit of Angie Tribeca when it came on after something a few weeks ago. Supposed to be in the spirit of Naked Gun. I could not make it past two minutes, it just seemed so stupid.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #15778
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

we all enjoyed Angie Tribeca. It didn't start off great for me either, but it got better. Like all of those types of things - Airplane, Naked Gun, Top Secret, etc - there were definitely some hits and some misses. But there was some good stuff for sure.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #15779
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Yeah, my wife and I tried to watch Angie Tribeca - I dig that kind of humor and was chuckling, but she barely made it 2 minutes in as well before asking to turn it off. I might give it another go at some point - I love Rashida Jones.

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 04-07-2016 at 10:35 AM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #15780
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Many of the jokes from the Cosby show pilot were based on his stand up routines, which were drawn from his real life. There isn't as much separating Bill from Cliff as there is separating other actor/character combos. That's why I think it makes it so much harder to watch the show now than it is to watch Lethal Weapon.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #15781
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hey I seem to remember that there was some college player in the 80s-90s that had to wear a cage to stabilize his neck while he played. Who was it?
Old 04-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #15782
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola- thinking it was a big East guy but it might have been someone from an Ohio or Texas school. White guy who was a point guard.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #15783
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Jay Burson? I remember he suffered a neck injury, but I don't think he played while recovering.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #15784
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ah, that's what Google brought up too.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #15785
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Jay Burson? I remember he suffered a neck injury, but I don't think he played while recovering.

Nailed it, point guard for Ohio State in the late 80's.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #15786
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn't he play with the brace on? Why am I remembering this?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #15787
Butter
Coordinator

He was injured in the first half of a game, which he played the rest of with a broken neck, but no he didn't play with a halo.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #15788
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ordered a pepperoni pizza. Guy brings it, I pay, he goes out to his car. I open the pizza, no pepperoni. I run out to the car and flag the guy, explaining the order was wrong. He comes back and gets the pizza, leaves and brings me a new one about 15 minutes later.

Then it hits me. If I had just let him leave and waited 5 minutes to call, I'd have gotten two pizzas for the price of one. That should always be the battle plan in those situations, and I goofed.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #15789
MrBug708
Head Coach

Homeownership can be a money pit. In the last 2 years I've had the bathroom floor cave in, AC break and fighting with homewarranty (and won), the tub hose in the washer leaking, and the hot water hose with the washer break and flood 3 rooms.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #15790
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Oohhh nice. I just came to this thread to state that my offer for a new house has been accepted this morning, I am a first time house owner.

Thanks Bug!

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #15791
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Oohhh nice. I just came to this thread to state that my offer for a new house has been accepted this morning, I am a first time house owner.

Thanks Bug!

Stay ahead of things is my advice. Every few months, poke around and look for leaks and things. A lot easier to get a leak fixed than to have to pay to replace the boards that rotted out because there was a leak that you didn't notice.

It's fun, though. Getting to decide what your house looks like without having to worry about a landlord's opinion is really neat.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #15792
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Relatively new house, especially in MA(currently renting in a 1800s Victorian), post 2000. Hopefully not too bad.

Now I just need to get through the fun of inspections and closing. Then move all my stuff. Then the wedding. Not to mention a potential job switch. 2016, you are kicking my ass in the best possible way.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-11-2016 at 03:47 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #15793
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My septic system decided to crap out on me over the weekend. The computer than runs it started going haywire, so they had to replace the brains. Plus it needs to finally be pumped out.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #15794
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Relatively new house, especially in MA(currently renting in a 1800s Victorian), post 2000. Hopefully not too bad.

Now I just need to get through the fun of inspections and closing. Then move all my stuff. Then the wedding. Not to mention a potential job switch. 2016, you are kicking my ass in the best possible way.

you definitely need to knock her up with triplets as you don't have nearly enough going on at the moment.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #15795
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Closing on our first house Thursday! Should be fun (maybe).
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #15796
molson
General Manager

I moved into a worse neighborhood to buy a bigger, more modern house. It really can be soul-crushing to worry about all the things you need to fix at your house and trying to prioritize them and make available enough money to do it all. That little 80-year old house near downtown was charming, but also a huge pain in the ass.

But you can never get completely away from it. After everything closed on the new house, the insurance company snooped around the backyard when I wasn't there and sent a cancellation notice effective in 30 days unless replaced all (about 100) of the deck ballusters and railings, because they were too far apart. Something I'm sure the owner would have paid for if I knew about it a few days earlier. Ah well, I got those fixed, and now I'm going to re-shop for home insurance to see if I can get a better rate. It's just so random because it's the same insurance company I had at my old house, and if they had ever inspected THAT place....

Last edited by molson : 04-11-2016 at 05:17 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #15797
Easy Mac

We had a large leak in our laundry room that took 3 different roofers almost 6 months to figure out. Thankfully the last guy was really nice and only just now charged us for anything. Now we have to re-do the ceiling and possibly some of the wall in the laundry room. 1 AC unit crapped out the end of last year, the other one is on its last leg. The house is 9 years old.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #15798
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
We had a large leak in our laundry room that took 3 different roofers almost 6 months to figure out. Thankfully the last guy was really nice and only just now charged us for anything. Now we have to re-do the ceiling and possibly some of the wall in the laundry room. 1 AC unit crapped out the end of last year, the other one is on its last leg. The house is 9 years old.

Planned obsolescence - isn't it great...had the same issue a couple years ago...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #15799
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Problem is most builders using the cheapest crap they can find.
doesnt take a genius around here to look around at all the Goodman and Amana heat pumps going in. They are 15% cheaper than a Carrier or Trane (BTW Trane recently "sold out" and their new stuff is junk also)

Ive got a rental property with a 1958 Trane Heat Pump still rocking strong. The Goodman units on our house from 08, 2 of the 3 have been replaced and the 3rd one is making noise.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #15800
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Problem is most builders using the cheapest crap they can find.
doesnt take a genius around here to look around at all the Goodman and Amana heat pumps going in. They are 15% cheaper than a Carrier or Trane (BTW Trane recently "sold out" and their new stuff is junk also)

Ive got a rental property with a 1958 Trane Heat Pump still rocking strong. The Goodman units on our house from 08, 2 of the 3 have been replaced and the 3rd one is making noise.

After Trane was bought by Ingersoll Rand their quality went down hill. I've spoken to Trane dealers that have said for their personal system they would put in a Carrier or Bryant system. Not sure how Lennox quality is right now, they used to be decent.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote