Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Bye bye Wii

I talked the wife into parting ways with WiiFit, which while it seems like a good idea, hasn't been played since July 10 (handy how it keeps track!). None of the other Wii games were ever really a big hit, and the most popular one among my kids, Mario Kart, they tell me has a game cube version which is just as fun (and about 3 bucks used at gamestop). So, we are trading in the Wii and Wii Fit and the other games, toward credit for a PS3. I figure the PS3 is going to run me about 120 cash, when all is said and done.

TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Flasch186
Coordinator

good decision. My friend bought a WII and after playing a round of Tiger Woods I must say I was quite underwhelmed.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Congrats.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Is the trade-in at Gamestop (or the line) really your best move? I just assume that the value you get there would be pretty weak, as they are presumably turning right around and re-selling it at a profit.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I keep hearing how Wii will have all these great games out .. but it seems like most Wii games I read about I might have interest in are buggy as hell or don't have all the features of the PS3 or Xbox version.

Great gimmick, played my buddies a lot but it got old fast.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Wii isn't the best fit for hardcore gamers. For casual gamers or young kids, though, it's really great. Watching my three year old figure out Wii Sports this weekend was really fun.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

HAY GUYS I BOUGHT THIS WII AND IT SUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD!!! MBBF WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ebay that shit. You should get 400ish there. You'd basically be a moron to trade in high demand shit at gamestop. I got 290 for a year old wii alone

Last edited by stevew : 11-16-2008 at 09:32 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
HAY GUYS I BOUGHT THIS WII AND IT SUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDD!!! MBBF WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My PS3 picked last night to decide the hard drive database needed to be rebuilt. I left it on all night to do that and it didn't do a thing. This morning, I turn it off, turn it back on, it gives the same error message, and then promptly does what it needs to and loads into the game.

My Xbox 360 is STILL without issue, three years after I got it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that my Wii is a lot of fun.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #11
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'll bet WrongWay would have hated the Wii just as much as Wie. He would have enjoyed this.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I'll bet WrongWay would have hated the Wii just as much as Wie. He would have enjoyed this.

Thread title: Wii misses the cut AGAIN!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

You can still get a nice return if you sell your Wii used... I would not trade it in.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #14
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I also sold mine on Ebay. Got 280. NEVER sell back to gamestop. You can sell your games on Ebay if they are relatively new for 40-50 bucks. I sold NCAA in October for 40 bucks.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I also sold mine on Ebay. Got 280. NEVER sell back to gamestop. You can sell your games on Ebay if they are relatively new for 40-50 bucks. I sold NCAA in October for 40 bucks.

I think I'm going to offload my Wii this holiday season. Haven't used it in 6-7 months. Probably could still get most of my money back on eBay at this point.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
Bobble
College Prospect

The thread title should have been, "Bi Bi, Wii." Come on, guys! Attention to detail!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
MJ4H
Coordinator

Wife sat in front of the Wii for at least 6 hours straight yesterday having a ball playing Animal Crossing. Wii Speak is pretty cool. She had friends she had made from the DS version coming to her town and they were chatting from the recliner with no problems at all. Cool stuff. I'm not much for Animal Crossing, but I enjoyed watching her have a good time.

We still get together with friends monthly and play multiplayer Wii games, too. Also, about once a week a friend of mine comes over and we spend a couple of hours working on Metroid Prime 3. Still haven't beaten that puppy.

I hear the Wii may sell over a million units in one month soon.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Wife sat in front of the Wii for at least 6 hours straight yesterday having a ball playing Animal Crossing. Wii Speak is pretty cool. She had friends she had made from the DS version coming to her town and they were chatting from the recliner with no problems at all. Cool stuff. I'm not much for Animal Crossing, but I enjoyed watching her have a good time.

We still get together with friends monthly and play multiplayer Wii games, too. Also, about once a week a friend of mine comes over and we spend a couple of hours working on Metroid Prime 3. Still haven't beaten that puppy.

I hear the Wii may sell over a million units in one month soon.
well whoop de doo big daddy

you and mrs matt hog keep playing animal sucking while the rest of us sell our wiis and get something for real guys like a dirt bike!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

dude i already have a dirt bike its a huffy
Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

welp you showed me
Old 11-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd say the chances of me buying one would be Wii Mote.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #22
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
My PS3 picked last night to decide the hard drive database needed to be rebuilt. I left it on all night to do that and it didn't do a thing. This morning, I turn it off, turn it back on, it gives the same error message, and then promptly does what it needs to and loads into the game.

My Xbox 360 is STILL without issue, three years after I got it.

My PS3 stopped reading disks a couple weeks ago. To make things better, I couldn't find the receipt for it (and I never throw receipts away...) so it took 3 phone calls, 2 emails, and a trip to best buy to get things sorted out.

The shittiest part of the entire ordeal was Sony Customer service originally said that since my PS3 was the 40gb and there's no way it was over a year old (since they launched on Nov 2nd 07 in the US I was just under 1 year even if I bought it the 1st day it was available) they'd escalate my issue to management and someone would get back with me.

I call back over a week later because I hadn't heard anything from them and they had no record of me contacting them. At all. I get disconnected, call back, and finally get a guy that's willing to work with me but he says that the receipt requirement has less to do with showing when it was bought and is more about proving that I didn't steal my PS3 (have I mentioned sony rocks yet?). He does suggest I take the serial number from the PS3 to the Best Buy I got it from, ask to speak with a manager, and explain the situation because if they really want to they can pull the receipt from their records.

Long story short, he was right. Took about 20 minutes but the guy at Best Buy was able to print me a new receipt and the PS3 should be sent off to get fixed sometime this week.

Last edited by Atocep : 11-17-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm actually looking at possibly picking up a Wii in the near future...though I haven't got a clue how I'll go about doing it.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone who wants a Wii should definitely IM me. I'll be listing it on eBay if no one is interested, but I would sell it for a small loss to anyone on this board. I've got a Wii, 4 controllers and 2 Nunchucks along with a carrying bag. Currently have Wii Sports, Wii Play, and the Zelda game.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-17-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #25
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I'm actually looking at possibly picking up a Wii in the near future...though I haven't got a clue how I'll go about doing it.

Wiis are readily available right now. You can just walk into a Best Buy and get one or order off Amazon with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Wii: Video Games
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sweet. I was under the impression (without looking recently) that they were still hard to find. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My local Target generally has a few on the shelves now as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #28
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Wiis are readily available right now. You can just walk into a Best Buy and get one or order off Amazon with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Wii: Video Games

Yes, I was at Best Buy the other day and saw a pallet of unmolested Wiis. I had to go over and pick one up just to make sure they weren't empty boxes. First time since release that I've seen them live in the wild.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 11-17-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #29
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

dola, I don't regret buying the wii. My daughter and I frequently play the wii sports and have a blast. Of course I went bonkers and bought a whole bunch of games I never play but I'm just a retard in that way.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #30
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
dola, I don't regret buying the wii. My daughter and I frequently play the wii sports and have a blast. Of course I went bonkers and bought a whole bunch of games I never play but I'm just a retard in that way.

I'm glad I'm not the only person with this affliction.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I need a wii fit for my wife for Christmas.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm also in the group that doesn't regret buying a Wii. It is my least played console, but I still play it a few hours/month and it is by far the most popular console when we have company over.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have a wii that I haven't used since some point in June or July. It still is used more than my XBOX360 which I haven't used since last march.. Of course I don't even have a PS3.. but my PS2 I turned on about 6 weeks ago for a little bit to play dance dance revolution with my 8 year old daughter...

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #34
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only person with this affliction.

Yeah we're pretty bad too.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #35
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I just wish that the party games were worth a damn. Either the games suck donkey balls or are $40-$50. I don't anticipate any "Greatest Hits" discounts anytime soon on any games...

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #36
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Sweet. I was under the impression (without looking recently) that they were still hard to find. Thanks!

I think you mean, "S-Wii-t." Come on, Poli. Get your game-face... I mean pun-face on!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #37
path12
Coordinator

Seeing as that every time we've had people over since getting our Wii it's been played until the wii hours of the morning I think it's been a big success. I'm not much interested in many of the games without other folks around (that's why I have my computer), but man it's a great party machine.

Played Rock Band until 3AM last Saturday night.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #38
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My kids still play it fairly regularly. I'm also enjoying the Wii Fit, especially as the weather gets colder.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach View Post
I just wish that the party games were worth a damn. Either the games suck donkey balls or are $40-$50. I don't anticipate any "Greatest Hits" discounts anytime soon on any games...

What were you expecting? It's not that old of a system. And it's still the cheapest of the 3 unless you're going out and only buying the first year or so of 360 games.

Yes, you can snag some games on the cheap (I've gotten Metroid Prime, Lego Star Wars, Pinball Hall of Fame, and both Rayman games for under $20) but you have to keep your eyes peeled for that sort of deal. There aren't any Greatest Hits out for the Wii at this point but some stuff like the Rayman games are really common for under $20 now

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-19-2008 at 09:52 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #40
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I've mentioned it before, but the Wii is and was a gimic. Overall a pretty crappy system and selection of games.

My daughter likes the same games on Wii that she did on gamecube, but she prefers to play them with the classic controller or if the game allows the actually gamecube controller.

360 and PSIII were the only next gen systems, well I guess they are current gen now.

Oh and the PC, that is always next gen.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #41
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone know where I can get a wii fit?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #42
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I may have one for sale. Depending on what the wife says. I live about an hour from you, so it would be a painless transaction. If interested PM me.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #43
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Circuit City had them for online order a few weeks back, and that's how I got mine.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks gstelmack.. they have them in a bundle at Gamestop.. but I'll see what Tarcone wants for his.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #45
Anthony
Banned

tarcone told me he wants a hummer and a blowjayjay. good luck with that.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #46
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
tarcone told me he wants a hummer and a blowjayjay. good luck with that.

No way. Thanksgiving is coming and I have some semen based recipes I want to try out on my in-laws.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #47
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I've mentioned it before, but the Wii is and was a gimic. Overall a pretty crappy system and selection of games.

Thanks. I was under the mistaken impression that I liked my Wii. Glad to find I that I was wrong before I wasted any more time with it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I've mentioned it before, but the Wii is and was a gimic.

360 and PSIII were the only next gen systems, well I guess they are current gen now.

Oh and the PC, that is always next gen.

Yup, the Wii is a gimmick. Just like fancy graphics

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #49
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yup, the Wii is a gimmick. Just like fancy graphics

SI

That one wears out faster though.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It's somewhat silly to have this debate in this thread. I think the original poster made a good argument for why a lot of people are suffering from buyer's remorse and aren't happy with the Wii. But at the same time, no one is under the illusion that everyone will not enjoy the Wii and what it has to offer. I think in the long run that the Wii's success will push MS and Sony to create an innovative and affordable system right off the bat with their next offering. Gamers will thank Nintendo for that in the long run, as it will produce a better gaming experience on all systems moving forward.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-21-2008 at 08:07 AM.