Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #23451
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Nope. It's more that I refuse to use race as the defining characteristic of priviledge which is far more nuanced than that, inasmuch as using race in that way is as definitionally racist as it is possible to get.

Soo... you don't understand the meaning of the word racism.

Not to mention there is a reason the term intersectionality exists, but I'm guessing you don't like that one either.

Honestly, your talking like this feels literally like a flat earther talking to me. I can't understand how something so obvious, whether its the Earth being round or the existence of white privilege, can be denied in this way.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-01-2020 at 02:09 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #23452
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Where were the police in riot gear yesterday? What about the police armored vehicles with machine guns on top? Didn't see those either. Just wondering why they show up to certain protests and not others.

I know its rhetorical, but we all know why. Some are just playing dumb because it may force them to deal with their privilege. Better to simply ignore it and say pointing it out is racist.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #23453
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isiddiqui
you don't understand the meaning of the word racism.

I think I understand the word fine, but I'm open to it being explained to me in a way that makes white priviledge not racist. I'm quite familiar with the term intersectionality, the logical conclusion of which is to recognize the individual as the ultimate minority and therefore take individuals with the specifics of their life, circumstances, etc. instead of dividing people into classes and groups.

Quote:
your talking like this feels literally like a flat earther talking to me.

Hence my original statement about not agreeing with the baked-in racial assumptions.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-01-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #23454
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Where were the police in riot gear yesterday? What about the police armored vehicles with machine guns on top? Didn't see those either. Just wondering why they show up to certain protests and not others.

They were practicing social distancing.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #23455
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Armed Black Panthers protest in front of Texas jail where Sandra Bland died: β€˜Oink, oink! Bang, bang!’ - New York Daily News

Dozens of heavily armed Black Panthers rallied at a Texas jail Wednesday to protest the jail cell death of Sandra Bland — and oinked their anger at police.

"Oink, oink! Bang, bang!" the group chanted during the nonviolent rally in front of the Waller County Jail in Hempstead. "The revolution has come! Off the pigs!"

About 25 demonstrators led by the New Black Panther Party marched in the two-hour protest. Some of the members carried guns as they circled the jail and chanted their frustrations.

That's about as close as you could get to any extreme I could imagine, and (I am somewhat surprised) it apparently went down without incident, in Texas, FWIW.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #23456
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I understand the word fine, but I'm open to it being explained to me in a way that makes white priviledge not racist. I'm quite familiar with the term intersectionality, the logical conclusion of which is to recognize the individual as the ultimate minority and therefore take individuals with the specifics of their life, circumstances, etc. instead of dividing people into classes and groups.

Mirriam Webster:
"a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

Dictionary.com:
"a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."

Calling out the dominant position or privilege of a racial simply doesn't fit the definition. And intersectionality acknowledges different levels of privilege - race, gender, economic that affect people and they can and do intersect.

Like I edited in my previous comment, this appears to be so obvious to me as a person of color that I feel like those that deny it are akin to flat earthers - a deliberate not seeing.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #23457
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I know its rhetorical, but we all know why. Some are just playing dumb because it may force them to deal with their privilege. Better to simply ignore it and say pointing it out is racist.

Nobody deals with their white privilege and biases more than police officers and those who make decisions about police officers do. People in most other lines of work never really have to be concerned with it, which is an aspect of white privilege in and of itself. They can consider themselves progressive heroes and not part of the problem if they point out racism online, or act super polite to the minorities they come across in normal aspects of their day.

Police don't have that luxury. They have be trained on, acknowledge, and confront whatever biases they have. We all have biases we're not even aware of until we're in a situation where it might actually come up. And some biases are truly based on ignorance - like how people raised in different cultures may react to authority (in the U.S., we tend to expect eye contact or it looks like you're hiding something, whereas in other cultures eye contact with authority is considered disrespectful.)

Edit: I'm looking at some of these photos of these masked police officers being screamed at by Michigan protesters. I tend to look at these things from that one officers's perspective. Or the perspective of his supervisor telling him what to do. Should he have opened fire because that's what some other officer have done in the past? Should his supervisor have told him to arrest everyone - a decision which, once made, means that the officers now have lawful authority, and a mandate through their orders, to overcome all physical resistance and see the arrest out, regardless of the force that requires? I sure as hell wouldn't do that, or order that. Regardless of what happened in the 60s, or on the border last week, or in the next town yesterday.

Last edited by molson : 05-01-2020 at 02:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #23458
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Armed Black Panthers protest in front of Texas jail where Sandra Bland died: β€˜Oink, oink! Bang, bang!’ - New York Daily News

Dozens of heavily armed Black Panthers rallied at a Texas jail Wednesday to protest the jail cell death of Sandra Bland — and oinked their anger at police.

"Oink, oink! Bang, bang!" the group chanted during the nonviolent rally in front of the Waller County Jail in Hempstead. "The revolution has come! Off the pigs!"

About 25 demonstrators led by the New Black Panther Party marched in the two-hour protest. Some of the members carried guns as they circled the jail and chanted their frustrations.

That's about as close as you could get to any extreme I could imagine, and (I am somewhat surprised) it apparently went down without incident, in Texas, FWIW.

Waller County proceeded to ban guns at the courthouse despite state law saying otherwise.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #23459
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Calling out the dominant position or privilege of a racial simply doesn't fit the definition.

Sure it does. The bare assertion that there even is such a thing does so. . It defines a person's priviledge (and by extension, any assessment of them, their achievements or lack thereof, etc) by their race. As your Webster definition reads 'race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities'. The literal words of the term 'white priviledge' assign priviledge to a person based solely on their race. It's 2+2=4 territory.

It's the same logic that informs the fact that in certain Twitter circles it is common parlance to say things like 'white people be like … ' 'Watch. Whitness. Work', and so on; when nobody would consider it ok to say 'black people be like ...'. The first is considered racist, the second isn't. This of course has nothing to do with any objective definition of racism to be universally applied, rendering the term meaningless in Orwellian fashion.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #23460
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

It makes more sense when you look at the video:

New Black Panther Party protests at site of Sandra Bland death | Daily Mail Online

Apparently the riot police were called in from Houston (as the article alludes to), and there seems to be like 3 (maybe 4) protesters with guns and 20ish in total against double that number of cops. Also the protesters didn't try to go in anywhere, they just walked around.

And then the county banned guns in the courthouse, LOL (I see Rainmaker has just mentioned that)
Old 05-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #23461
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure it does. The bare assertion that there even is such a thing does so. . It defines a person's priviledge (and by extension, any assessment of them, their achievements or lack thereof, etc) by their race. As your Webster definition reads 'race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities'. The literal words of the term 'white priviledge' assign priviledge to a person based solely on their race. It's 2+2=4 territory.

It's the same logic that informs the fact that in certain Twitter circles it is common parlance to say things like 'white people be like … ' 'Watch. Whitness. Work', and so on; when nobody would consider it ok to say 'black people be like ...'. The first is considered racist, the second isn't. This of course has nothing to do with any objective definition of racism to be universally applied, rendering the term meaningless in Orwellian fashion.

Amazing how you completely ignore the superiority aspect of both definitions.

Actually not that amazing. It just demonstrates your white privilege. Feel free to call me anything you want for pointing out that obvious fact.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #23462
RainMaker
General Manager

Our best historical example is California when Black Panthers marched on the state capital fully armed. The NRA and Reagan feverishly rushed to change the law.

It's weird how those 2A heroes found that specific moment to be opposed to gun rights. Wonder why?
Old 05-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #23463
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Amazing how you completely ignore the superiority aspect of both definitions.

So now we're saying whatever priviledge means, it has nothing to do with superiority?

As for what I would call you - simply wrong, and your argument illogical. I'm not in the business of attacking people, merely dealing with arguments. It's hilarious that you think this demonstrates my white priviledge, inasmuch as there are non-whites who have made the same argument. What priviledge causes them to think in such ways?

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-01-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #23464
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Nobody deals with their white privilege and biases more than police officers and those who make decisions about police officers do. People in most other lines of work never really have to be concerned with it, which is an aspect of white privilege in and of itself. They can consider themselves progressive heroes and not part of the problem if they point out racism online, or act super polite to the minorities they come across in normal aspects of their day.

Police don't have that luxury. They have be trained on, acknowledge, and confront whatever biases they have. We all have biases we're not even aware of until we're in a situation where it might actually come up. And some biases are truly based on ignorance - like how people raised in different cultures may react to authority (in the U.S., we tend to expect eye contact or it looks like you're hiding something, whereas in other cultures eye contact with authority is considered disrespectful.)

That may be true and I'm sure that there are some departments that do a good job of doing that sort of training and teaching their officers about their implicit biases. Though it appears to me that a lot of departments (if not the majority) completely fall down on the job in that aspect.

It seemed to me that there could have been an opportunity in recent years for police departments to say, we need to do better here. The Sandra Bland, Philando Castile incidents show that we aren't doing what we need to do. We aren't confronting our inherent biases and racism. And granted, the US is a racist society and police departments can't just fix that themselves.

Though I think that is an argument for restraint - why can't black men be subjected to the same restraint that white men get? I've seen this first hand. It's absolutely shocking the first time you witness it.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #23465
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Some shame could go a long way. I agree that what the protestors did is legal, but discouraging assholish behavior even when it's legal could go a long way. Part of the reason this kind of thing is happening more often is that too many people are defending it by saying it's legal.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #23466
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Waller County proceeded to ban guns at the courthouse despite state law saying otherwise.

Ha! Of course.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #23467
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Though I think that is an argument for restraint - why can't black men be subjected to the same restraint that white men get? I've seen this first hand. It's absolutely shocking the first time you witness it.

Of course they should be subjected to the same restraint. I think officers show a ton of restraint in all kinds of situations - but when a mistake is made or crime committed by an officer, the consequences can be disastrous. Much more than say, an insurance adjuster who has racial biases or whatever.

I'm just saying that when an officer properly shows restraint, we shouldn't assume they're racist just because some other officer didn't act properly in another situation. What is the first officer supposed to do? Bash the white peoples' heads to even the score? Statistically, that individual officer has never shot anyone. If he's got state house protester duty, I doubt he's done much of anything in law enforcement yet.

Edit: And I don't expect this of others, but I have sympathy for the officers who have to stand there and be yelled at by unmasked spitters all day, and who have to still stay focused every second, knowing that things could deteriorate and and turn violent any second no matter what they do. And to know that if they do their job right, they'll still be considered racist because people will assume they would have opened fire if it was black protesters. They signed up for it, but it's still a shitty day.

Last edited by molson : 05-01-2020 at 02:58 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #23468
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So now we're saying whatever priviledge means, it has nothing to do with superiority?

As for what I would call you - simply wrong, and your argument illogical. I'm not in the business of attacking people, merely dealing with arguments. It's hilarious that you think this demonstrates my white priviledge, inasmuch as there are non-whites who have made the same argument. What priviledge causes them to think in such ways?

Do you... understand "racial differences produce an inherent superiority" or "one's own race is superior"

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Or is there is a reading comprehension issue. I'm voting for obtuse. It prevents from confronting your obvious white privilege on this and other issues. As for non-whites who make the same argument, that's great for them. I think they buy into a racist narrative about the lack of white privilege. It's not as if this is the first time you had supporters of the racial status quo from non-whites. Where do you think the (ugly, IMO) term "Uncle Tom" comes from?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-01-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #23469
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of course they should be subjected to the same restraint. I think officers show a ton of restraint in all kinds of situations - but when a mistake is made or crime committed by an officer, the consequences can be disastrous. Much more than say, an insurance adjuster who has racial biases or whatever.

I'm just saying that when an officer properly shows restraint, we shouldn't assume they're racist just because some other officer didn't act properly in another situation. What is the first officer supposed to do? Bash the white peoples' heads to even the score?

Ah. Well, I don't think they should have bashed their heads in - but when the protesters were trying to burst in the House Chambers, I do think they should have been disbursed then. That's a violent provocation.

I do think it's more of an example how white protesters get more restraint than black protesters would. I agree, I don't think they should have gotten their heads bashed in, but rather see the same respect to border protesters, to Black Lives Matter protesters, etc. The juxtaposition is striking and I think a lot of black folk see their experience and think - why can't that respectful posture be shown to us!

It may come out in angry ways due to disparate treatment all of their lives though.

(I can confess I get really annoyed when I go through airport security and a white dude with a long hipster beard who is a bit flip to TSA gets no hassle at all, when I am always hyper-polite and make sure I'm shaven before I go through security due to a few times I was pulled aside)

I also would say that I find our society to be incredibly and obviously racist, so if we consider cops to be regular people in society, it makes sense to consider that they may racist as the rest of our society - and that is where assumptions may come into play. Not the individual but the group that they are a part of and represent.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-01-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #23470
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

(I can confess I get really annoyed when I go through airport security and a white dude with a long hipster beard who is a bit flip to TSA gets no hassle at all, when I am always hyper-polite and make sure I'm shaven before I go through security due to a few times I was pulled aside)

Is there any reason why that "long hipster beard who is a bit flip to TSA" should get any hassle?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-01-2020 at 02:54 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #23471
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As for non-whites who make the same argument, that's great for them. I think they buy into a racist narrative about the lack of white privilege.

If so, you can then have no justification for assuming what I think is down to white priviledge. If others can come to the same opinion for other reasons, then there are multiple possible ways to come to that conclusion and therefore your conclusion is not valid.

I think I understand what superiority means, but I'm also not sure that when you write things as simple as 'a', 'and', or 'the', that we are talking about the same things. It's clear superior, priviledge, racist, and quite possibly even more basic terms mean totally different things to us.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-01-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #23472
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is there any reason why that "long hipster beard who is a bit flip to TSA" should get any hassle?

A brown person who looked like that would get PLENTY of hassle from TSA. Hence the reason I always shave and am super polite to TSA. I don't like getting pulled out of line to have my butt patted again or put in the big air blowing thing (is that still around) when the folks ahead and behind me when through the regular magnetic security gate - and that's when I was being pretty polite.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-01-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #23473
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A brown person who looked like that would get PLENTY of hassle from TSA. Hence the reason I always shave and am super polite to TSA. I don't like getting pulled out of line to have my butt patted again or put in the big air blowing thing (is that still around) when the folks ahead and behind me when through the regular magnetic security gate - and that's when I was being pretty polite.

Do you think white people never get their butts fondled by the TSA?
Old 05-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #23474
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If so, you can then have no justification for assuming what I think is down to white priviledge. If others can come to the same opinion for other reasons, then there are multiple possible ways to come to that conclusion and therefore your conclusion is not valid.

Others have come to the conclusion that the vaccines cause autism for other reasons than they don't trust science, but I can pretty much assume most people who believe that don't trust science. Sorry, a few outliers or models for you or your ilk to hold up does not cleanse you of your white privilege.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #23475
RainMaker
General Manager

"Your reputation is amazing, I will not let you down" - Donald Trump

Old 05-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #23476
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Do you think white people never get their butts fondled by the TSA?

I think they get fondled much less as a percentage than brown people do. Wasn't the announcement for random pull asides at the airport a response to concerns that racial profiling was going on by TSA after 9/11?

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/u...cials-say.html
Old 05-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #23477
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can pretty much assume most people who believe that don't trust science.

So you're ok with judging by the group so long as it's a group you don't personally belong to/agree with, and also ok with assuming the motives of people even when by your own words it will sometimes not be accurate.

As for me, I stand firmly on the side of the individual. All of them. For example, I'll say clearly that what happened in Texas is wrong. A county doesn't get to break state law and eliminate freedoms of the people just because they don't like something that happened.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-01-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #23478
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm fine with assuming the motives of groups I belong to and agree with as well. It's literally something we do all the fucking time as human beings. Why did my party do X - I assume it's because of Y due to what I know about my party and its values.

I believe that our society is way too hyper-individualized. Therefore we fail to notice when groups in our society are doing something wrong. Because we are so focused on the individual (and the "few bad apples") that we lose track our collective action. One can see it with these asinine "FREE X" protests.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #23479
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
"Your reputation is amazing, I will not let you down" - Donald Trump

So, do you think people are watching his show during this, agreeing, and starting to size up their neighbors or are they wondering, "WTF! This guy is crazy!"?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #23480
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can we all at least agree to spell "privilege" correctly?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #23481
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Only if you spell it my preferred way.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #23482
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm just saying that when an officer properly shows restraint, we shouldn't assume they're racist just because some other officer didn't act properly in another situation. What is the first officer supposed to do? Bash the white peoples' heads to even the score? Statistically, that individual officer has never shot anyone. If he's got state house protester duty, I doubt he's done much of anything in law enforcement yet.

Edit: And I don't expect this of others, but I have sympathy for the officers who have to stand there and be yelled at by unmasked spitters all day, and who have to still stay focused every second, knowing that things could deteriorate and and turn violent any second no matter what they do. And to know that if they do their job right, they'll still be considered racist because people will assume they would have opened fire if it was black protesters. They signed up for it, but it's still a shitty day.

I think that is why the pushback for me is so weird. Despite my bias towards police, I know enough police officers have the restraint that was shown yesterday. That restraint just so happened to be when dealing with protestors that looked a particular way. So when the restraint is not exercised, then questions are going to be asked. Especially when that restraint is missing when dealing with a protestors that look different. When those questions are asked, the people asking the questions are seen as being unreasonable. Yesterday was one of the more extreme protests I have seen recently that did not end up with tanks, water cannons, rubber bullets and tasers. I don't know the rules and regulations that govern law enforcement in that case but I trust those that say that those officers followed them to a tee and probably went above and beyond what they needed to.

Do I want them to bash of the white people to even the score? No. I want them to stop bashing the heads of black people for less than what I saw yesterday and then telling me they were following procedures. If you are telling me they did their job correctly with the restraint they showed in the face of that shitstorm, I will accept that. Why should I expect any less in any other shitstorm? Especially when, given what happened yesterday, people are seeing yesterday's events as a protest precedent.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #23483
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Agree to disagree.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #23484
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Considering the GOP in that state banned signs from the protest gallery because "they might fall and hit somebody"

Signs: Bad. Assault Rifles: A-ok!
Old 05-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #23485
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Agree to disagree.

This made me laugh.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #23486
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

I'll do my best. I stand corrected on this highly important issue, and declare myself ready to receive whatever just punishments must necessarily come my way.

Quote:
It's literally something we do all the fucking time as human beings. Why did my party do X - I assume it's because of Y due to what I know about my party and its values.

Nah. I make a concerted effort, and have been trained in this regard by multiple employers as well, to not make such assumptions. One of the reasons racism is such a bad thing is because of the whole aspect of judging by the group when no group is homogeneous. If judging by the group is ok, then it actually takes a lot of the sting away from the very charge of racism.

So in this case, we really are in agree to disagree territory. You can never know another person's story.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-01-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #23487
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
In this case, you've got regular citizens, attempting to use a show of power to exert force, authority to get their way, then you reason, that the equal and opposite response is also valid. You arm, I arm. We're equals, dancing in the potential of mutually assured destruction. It effects your behavior and it changes your negotiation. I can either defer to your power, or I can attempt to overwhelm you with mine, or I can convince your allies that it's in their best interest to shoot you instead of me for whatever reasoning.

That is the point that I am getting at. They should FEAR the potential that they might actually be shot, for whatever reason. That is a power dynamic that is not on display here. Nor any of the Capitol houses that have let heavily armed, para-military protesters in.
But that's the thing with open carry nuts... it's a weird juxtaposition where they're kinda playing dress up to show they're tough or something, but they're actually just clowns so while they may partly be taking advantage of skin color privilej they're also not perceived as as threatening as they want to be (and I think they actually understand that the perception they aren't that threatening is part of why they can do this.) Like nobody here actually thought they would intimidate Gov Whitmer into holding off, everyone involved knew this was just a symbolic thing, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Stop right there.
A harmless protester would never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever bring weapons with him. Carrying a swiss army knife already disqualifies yourself from being part of a harmless protest. If you're walking around proudly showing off your 10-year old sized automatic rifle, you send the signal that you're there with only one thing in mind: to create a bloodbath while hiding behind an unarmed human shield or as hostages.
I don't agree with open carry people, but that's quite the leap of logic there... anyone with a loaded large capacity weapon could try and create a bloodbath but even with America's high mass shootings those psychos go on solo rampages, or sometimes hole up in places & try to fight the government instead of marching on the statehouse & trying to take on a well prepared group of police. Rallies or protests involving Open Carry folks aren't that uncommon, and while none of this makes me comfortable, there's no track record of them turning into massacres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Call me naive, but I honestly doubt that either of you actually is in favor of a mob invading any building that isn't their own property while doing so with what they were walking around with.

Unless you are saying that in that particular state you're actually allowed to do just that.
Actually it's not just Michigan, Open Carry is often more permissive than Concealed Carry by state. A quick googling shows that at least by 2016 only 3 states banned it & 3 more restricted it to "long guns" (presumably hunting rifles & such). About 30 have no restrictions The Trace

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-01-2020 at 08:36 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #23488
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes, I understand that replacing an "acting" official is a lesser issue than a permanent/career person. Still...given the obvious motivations and the track record this maps perfectly onto... I'm going to still find some room to be outraged. Though virtually nobody else will, I know, I know.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/u...-watchdog.html

This is fine.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #23489
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

She's being fired for writing a report that was largely about what hospitals said needed to be done better to save lives.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #23490
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I actually made this one:

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #23491
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Yes, I understand that replacing an "acting" official is a lesser issue than a permanent/career person. Still...given the obvious motivations and the track record this maps perfectly onto... I'm going to still find some room to be outraged. Though virtually nobody else will, I know, I know.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/01/u...-watchdog.html

This is fine.

There's a larger issue here going on here on the judicial side. There's a doctrine called "unitary executive" that has really come into vogue in conservative legal circles. Basically, it holds that the President, and the President alone, should have pretty much complete, unfettered, and unchecked control over the entire executive branch. And that any laws that Congress passes to attempt to restrict that authority and/or protect civil servants are unconstitutional.

There are, of course, textualist and originalist justifications behind this theory, but [albionmoonlight editorializing] they are fig leafs. The real engine motivating it is the realization that career civil servants at the level we are discussing are highly competent people who have chosen to forgo large private sector salaries in order to serve the public good. In other words, liberals. But the Presidency alternates between liberal and conservative. So by putting all of the power into one person, you get your guy running things every 4 to 8 years or so.[/editorializing]
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #23492
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I actually made this one:

Nice
Old 05-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #23493
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Basically, it holds that the Republican Presidents, and the Republican Presidents alone, should have pretty much complete, unfettered, and unchecked control over the entire executive branch.

Fixed.

Last edited by JPhillips : 05-02-2020 at 10:39 AM.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #23494
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

i don't think i can lol
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #23495
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

So like when I see a privilege of Karens protesting around state houses?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #23496
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well a bit more from the "intelligence" Trump says to have seen.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fiv...p-u-s-findings

I'll reserve judgement until someone other than Fox reports this.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #23497
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Was anyone arguing that China wasn’t covering stuff up?

Of course China covers stuff up. They are a goddamn authoritarian regime!

That’s why you don’t do things like remove the CDC personnel in China!

They are actually going to manage to get the media to buy into the “if China messed up in any way whatsoever, then Trump cannot be held accountable for anything” framing, aren’t they?
Old 05-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #23499
cuervo72
Head Coach

FWIW, the NY Post and the Sun are owned by News Corp, so really not "other than Fox." (And, um, the MSN link states at the bottom that "Fox News' Bret Baier and Louis Casiano contributed to this report." And the Space Coast link is...a re-report of the Fox story.)

Absolutely with albion on this one. I mean, I remember saying when China first started to report "nope, we got this, all under control" that they were not exactly telling the truth. The propaganda was expected.

I mean, did intelligence actually ever confirm that things ever were under control?
Old 05-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #23500
Flasch186
Coordinator

The Trump Presidency – 2016

Its amazing what a country like China, you know authoritarian, can do when they control the media. Its kind of like “jeez what would a leader do if they wanted to be able to become a dictator... hmmmmm what night they want to do with the media? Perhaps turn the public against them, sure dont in their authenticity, call them the enemy, threaten to shut them down, etc.” perhaps they could even get millions of people sic. Followers to support this movement. That would only happen in China.

Of course China is controlling the narrative!! Regardless of how the stupid thing started they wanted to control the narrative. Just like our stupid ass President does on the daily. Even if this happened the way the scientific majority thinks it did that doesnt mean the government, an authoritarian one at that, wouldn’t want to control the narrative.

Were treating by the millions
Itll disappear like a miracle
We have it under control
Its like a bad flu
Were the greatest
Fake news
Media can’t be trusted

Sounds like our wanna be dictator is using the playbook perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-03-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote