Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #251
Suicane75
Coordinator

SF seems like one of the worst places for the most even mannered of coaches to land. I can't imagine Chip is going to last very long.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #252
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Doesn't make any sense. Kelly may say he doesn't want to be GM, but he sure ran the last one he worked for out of the stadium. Can't see him and Baalke getting along.

That's a lazy statement. Chip did not want GM power but made a power play to get personnel power after the Eagles fired Tom Gamble. Howie Roseman is a disease, and you really do not see too many solid coaches leaping at the Eagles job at this point.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #253
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
That's a lazy statement. Chip did not want GM power but made a power play to get personnel power after the Eagles fired Tom Gamble. Howie Roseman is a disease, and you really do not see too many solid coaches leaping at the Eagles job at this point.

I'd argue that you didn't see too many solid coaches leaping at the 49ers job either.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #254
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Seems like a lot of folks have written off Chip as a coach, and yet he's 26-21 for a franchise that had gone 4-12 prior to his arrival.

Yeah, clearly his moves as GM this past year blew up in his face. He'll need to forge a good relationship with a quality GM, and that doesn't seem like a great bet in SF with this ownership.

But I think too many folks are under-valuing him as a coach. Maybe his coaching style doesn't work so well in the NFL (and I'm talking managing personalities, not his X's and O's), or maybe he's learned from his experience in Philly. We'll see. But I'm not going to bet against his ability to rehab Kaepernick's career and get the 49ers back on track.

Last edited by dawgfan : 01-14-2016 at 01:37 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #255
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I'd argue that you didn't see too many solid coaches leaping at the 49ers job either.

I wouldn't argue with you on that, both teams right now are completely dysfunctional. I just feel like Chip Kelly is a good "coach" when he can focus on coaching. I also think Kaepernick has more natural talent than Bradford, Foles or Sanchez and is an overall better fit for what Kelly wants to do on offense.

If OT Anthony Davis comes back from his semi-retirement, the 49ers would have two solid tackles (with Joe Staley), a talented running back (Hyde) and athletic quarterback. That sounds like the kind of personnel Kelly likes.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-14-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #256
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If I'm an owner/GM, I could see myself talking myself into Kelly by saying "well, he learned his lesson about personnel".
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #257
Logan
Head Coach

If the choice was really between Kelly and Mike effing Shanahan, you take Kelly in a nanosecond, even if he hasn't learned a thing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #258
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
SF seems like one of the worst places for the most even mannered of coaches to land. I can't imagine Chip is going to last very long.

Ya, I could see something like this-

-Surprising jump to 8-8, everybody is happy
-Surprising jump to 10-6 or 11-5 and the playoffs, everyone is delirious
-Still 10-6 or 11-5, fired for not taking the team to the "next level"
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #259
corbes
College Benchwarmer

If the team owner is willing to relinquish control of the holiday-party scheduling it's entirely possible that the Kelly hire will work out swimmingly.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #260
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If the choice was really between Kelly and Mike effing Shanahan, you take Kelly in a nanosecond, even if he hasn't learned a thing.

Yeah. I think you're right.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #261
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
If the team owner is willing to relinquish control of the holiday-party scheduling it's entirely possible that the Kelly hire will work out swimmingly.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #262
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Is the Titans job the only one still open?
Old 01-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #263
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

+1
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #264
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bucs are hiring Koettler(sp)
Old 01-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #265
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Eagles to hire Doug Pederson

EDP not happy:
https://youtu.be/cY-_8s2w9EI

NSFW link

Last edited by tucker rocky : 01-14-2016 at 06:24 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #266
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Seems like a lot of folks have written off Chip as a coach, and yet he's 26-21 for a franchise that had gone 4-12 prior to his arrival.

Yeah, clearly his moves as GM this past year blew up in his face. He'll need to forge a good relationship with a quality GM, and that doesn't seem like a great bet in SF with this ownership.

But I think too many folks are under-valuing him as a coach. Maybe his coaching style doesn't work so well in the NFL (and I'm talking managing personalities, not his X's and O's), or maybe he's learned from his experience in Philly. We'll see. But I'm not going to bet against his ability to rehab Kaepernick's career and get the 49ers back on track.

I'm with you. I think the guy can flat out coach and it was a massive mistake for Philly to fire him. I keep hearing about how he can't succeed in the NFL. Well, two 10 win seasons with Michael Vick and Nick Foles/Mark Sanchez tells me otherwise.

The huge power play in Philly was due to the fact that his friend was fired and they put a guy he hated in charge of the GM duties. He got pissed and demanded things changed. As part of that, he ends up getting total control.

I'm not saying he deserved total control, but without the first idiotic move, the second never happens. I believe Chip will be very successful in SF. We'll see about Pederson in Philly.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #267
Logan
Head Coach

If I'm a Giants fan, I'm okay with McAdoo showing up to his introductory press conference in a suit that is enormous on him. What I'm not sure I'd be okay with is him coloring his hair.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #268
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Los Angeles Rams unveiled their new logo and unfortunately, they kept the St. Louis gold with the blue. If they had gone with the blue and white, they would have become my favorite team again (as they were in 1969 and 1970).

Last edited by Buccaneer : 01-15-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #269
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was hoping for a return to the Blue and Yellow. I thought their color rush jersey combo was pretty good.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #270
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So how was Miami's offensive line last year?

Colts hire Joe Philbin as offensive line coach - NFL.com
Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #271
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I was hoping for a return to the Blue and Yellow. I thought their color rush jersey combo was pretty good.

I too was hoping for a return to either the classic yellow or classic blue/white scheme. I hate the gold. Hate, hate, hate.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:15 PM   #272
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
did the Giants break the Rooney rule?

The Giants are intrigued with McAdoo’s potential but wanted to get a cross-section of the available candidates with head-coaching experience. McAdoo was their first interview, but they also met with three others with more experience: their own defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, former Bills head coach Doug Marrone and former Falcons head coach Mike Smith. None of those candidates wowed the Giants, and they doubled back and kept the hiring in-house

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Rumor mill is saying that McAdoo is close to finalizing a deal to be the Giants HC.

They interviewed Teryl Austin, Lions DC.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:07 AM   #273
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Rooney rule is the most racist rule there is in American jurisprudence.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #274
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So how was Miami's offensive line last year?

Colts hire Joe Philbin as offensive line coach - NFL.com

Old 01-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #275
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SO much wrong here.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #276
Dutch
"Dutch"

To be fair, the rule should state that each team must interview at least one African-American...one white dude, one Hispanic dude, one Asian dude, one gay dude, one Jewish dude, one Native American dude, a Somoan, a female, and at least one senior citizen.

Then it wouldn't actually be a racist and very exclusionary rule.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-16-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #277
Suicane75
Coordinator

They could interview Bruce Jenner and get four of em out of the way at once.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #278
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

It's neither. It doesn't exclude anyone, there is no limit on how many candidates you can interview. There is no punishment for hiring a white guy. There is no punishment for promoting from within.

It's designed to allow African-American coaches to be seen as head coaching candidates. It allows the coaches to work on their preparedness for those interviews, and it allows teams to see more "hot" candidates getting interviews.

It takes a day, costs a little travel and expenses, and doesn't stop any owner from hiring anyone or keep anyone from being hired. It does broaden the pool of candidates looked at and helps a group that has been historically overlooked by owners.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's absurd politically correct bullshit, just another sad sorry joke.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-16-2016 at 09:48 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #280
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's neither. It doesn't exclude anyone, there is no limit on how many candidates you can interview. There is no punishment for hiring a white guy. There is no punishment for promoting from within.

It's designed to allow African-American coaches to be seen as head coaching candidates. It allows the coaches to work on their preparedness for those interviews, and it allows teams to see more "hot" candidates getting interviews.

It takes a day, costs a little travel and expenses, and doesn't stop any owner from hiring anyone or keep anyone from being hired. It does broaden the pool of candidates looked at and helps a group that has been historically overlooked by owners.

+1
Old 01-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #281
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It serves no actual purpose in reality. It also becomes a derogatory badge that someone like Duce Staley is now stuck wearing... "he was a Rooney rule interview" Downplays any potential accomplishment.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #282
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
It serves no actual purpose in reality. It also becomes a derogatory badge that someone like Duce Staley is now stuck wearing... "he was a Rooney rule interview" Downplays any potential accomplishment.

Some can make a mockery of it, but it actually gives people a chance that seldom existed before its existence.

Duce Staley has now interviewed for a head coaching job. That's an experience he and a lot of other people would've never gotten under the old system.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #283
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
To be fair, the rule should state that each team must interview at least one African-American...one white dude, one Hispanic dude, one Asian dude, one gay dude, one Jewish dude, one Native American dude, a Somoan, a female, and at least one senior citizen.

The Rooney rule does not state that an NFL team must interview someone that is African-American. It states that a team has to interview at least one minority candidate.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #284
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hue Jackson plans to call his own plays and not hire an offensive coordinator. Sounds like a really bad idea, but Cleveland really can't get any worse.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #285
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Some can make a mockery of it, but it actually gives people a chance that seldom existed before its existence.

Duce Staley has now interviewed for a head coaching job. That's an experience he and a lot of other people would've never gotten under the old system.

+1

Staley's name is now out there to other teams. There may have not been any real interest in hiring him, but it does give his career a boost and likely gets him more interviews in the future.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
They interviewed Teryl Austin, Lions DC.

Ok, that wasn't in the original article.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #287
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Bullshit. Duce Staley could have always declined the interview if it was such a stigma.

This sort of thing happens all the time with internships, meet a mentor, summer programs, etc., and it happens for white folks, too.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #288
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bullshit. Duce Staley could have always declined the interview if it was such a stigma.

This sort of thing happens all the time with internships, meet a mentor, summer programs, etc., and it happens for white folks, too.

It also isn't like the Rooney Rule is keeping hard working white coaches from getting hired and then hired again after failing elsewhere. This is a league with 80% minority players and 25% minority head coaches.

Last edited by BillJasper : 01-16-2016 at 03:53 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #289
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I love how people are acting like the ONLY reason that Staley got the interview was the damn rule. You guys are so full of yourselves that you can't even see how racist you are. Yep, the black man could only get an interview because of a rule, not because he earned it... Because that is what you ARE SAYING... racist fools.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #290
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

NOBODY SAID THAT!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #291
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Los Angeles Rams unveiled their new logo and unfortunately, they kept the St. Louis gold with the blue. If they had gone with the blue and white, they would have become my favorite team again (as they were in 1969 and 1970).

As a Rams fan since 1968 this is so disappointing. The gold has sucked since the day they introduced it. I loved the yellow and blue and hoped it would return with the move to LA. The blue and white though is also classic\great and would have been awesome.

Your helmet brings back memories of Deacon Jones, Roman Gabriel, Jack Snow, Merlin Olsen, and so many others.

Opportunity wasted
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #292
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Manziel spotted in 'really good mood' at liquor store
Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #293
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The Rooney rule does not state that an NFL team must interview someone that is African-American. It states that a team has to interview at least one minority candidate.

Sab,

Thanks for that, I honestly didn't realize it stated "minority" vs. "African-American". Just another case of perception becoming reality, I suppose.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #294
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
As a Rams fan since 1968 this is so disappointing. The gold has sucked since the day they introduced it. I loved the yellow and blue and hoped it would return with the move to LA. The blue and white though is also classic\great and would have been awesome.

Your helmet brings back memories of Deacon Jones, Roman Gabriel, Jack Snow, Merlin Olsen, and so many others.

Opportunity wasted

I have a hope that when the stadium gets built, they will re-brand the Rams back to their traditional colors. I believe the Tennessee Oilers/Titans did the same thing.

While my first love was the blue/white Rams (and the players you mentioned), I also understand blue/yellow since that's what they wore in the 1950s and early 1960s (as well as the later years).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #295
TroyF
Coordinator

So we end up with 6 coaching hires and a few who stayed right where they were. My personal opinions:

Browns - Jackson - A+ They just have to hope the ownership doesn't screw this up

49ers - Kelly - A - I know others think differently, I think he's a fantastic coach

Dolphins - Gase - C+ - I think Gase is a great coach, but he's also young. I would not have hired a first time head coach were I the Dolphins

Bucs - Koetter - C - Really? Sorry, I don't see it. they get a C because maybe Winston will be able to bail them out of anything

Mcadoo - D+ - Horrible

Eagles - Pederson - F - Three years NFL experience and he did it under Andy Reid. This is beyond a reach. What a horrific hire.He'll get a year where the media will blame Chip Kelly for everything. Then he'll struggle to keep his job the following year. It doesn't get any dumber than this.

The guys who stayed put:

Detroit - I don't like Caldwell, but the Lions played better the second half of the year with the new OC. It isn't going to kill them to give it another year.

Titans - Dumb, dumb and dumb. You can't help but think the sale of the team is causing this. Really stupid and i feel horrible for Mariota.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #296
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rams should fire Fisher
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #297
MrBug708
Head Coach

I logged in at 10:03 to put a deposit on Rams season tickets and it already is showing none left. Turns out it was a browser issue

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-18-2016 at 12:46 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #298
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

Mcadoo - D+ - Horrible

Maybe. I know I didn't like the hire, but I don't know if it is horrible. I think the bigger issue is that Reese is still the GM, and I think the organization needed a fresh start all around.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #299
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the Giants are in a difficult spot. How many years does Eli have left, and is there enough time for him to learn a new offense? The offense was pretty good this year, so I can see why they'd want that continuity. It may not work, but it has some sense to it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #300
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think you could do a lot worse than pick a coach whose mentor, including playoffs, is 172–121–1 (.587) during his career.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote