Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #51
Dutch
"Dutch"

Glad they stopped it and I am hoping it holds.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't find the article now, but it was basically saying that that they had this idea all the way back in the first week of the spill, but that it took 2 months to design and build.

If this actually works, this type of device that they created needs to be available in the future at a moments notice. God forbid that another well disaster happens, but we need to be prepared.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #53
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ugh, it sounds like the nightmare scenario of a broken well casing is coming true. They are detecting seeping in the sea floor around the well.

Allen: Seep detected at oil spill site - CNN.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #54
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Ugh, it sounds like the nightmare scenario of a broken well casing is coming true. They are detecting seeping in the sea floor around the well.

If this is true, will the relief well actually fix the problem? I assume yes because the oil would want to flow out the easiest way possible, which would be through the relief well, but I'm also not very knowledgable in drilling.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #55
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think it depends where the relief well bisects the main well. If it's below the leak, it should be ok, above the leak and it's fucked.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #56
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Don't worry though, the feds have put BP in charge of monitoring this development, so it's all good.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Don't worry though, the feds have put BP in charge of monitoring this development, so it's all good.

I'm sure they will never withhold or alter any information such as how much oil is flowing ever again since they have such a great track record.

I really am torn about what to do on this. It seems to me like there are a few people in the world who even know what to do with deep sea drilling and they're much better experts at getting oil out of the ground that keeping it in. So if you're the government- what do you do? It's not as if you can send the Army Corps of Engineers down there to take a look or something.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #58
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm sure they will never withhold or alter any information such as how much oil is flowing ever again since they have such a great track record.

I really am torn about what to do on this. It seems to me like there are a few people in the world who even know what to do with deep sea drilling and they're much better experts at getting oil out of the ground that keeping it in. So if you're the government- what do you do? It's not as if you can send the Army Corps of Engineers down there to take a look or something.

SI

I'm not sure how much I trust the Army Corps of Engineers to do anything about it. Everything they do is slow, they operate on a geological timeframe.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #59
Kodos
Resident Alien

Where is Bruce Willis during all of this? Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I've come to expect him to fix this kind of thing.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #60
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Where is Bruce Willis during all of this? Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I've come to expect him to fix this kind of thing.

Uh, I don't he ever made it back from that meteor drilling mission. Sorry. I think it's all up to Ben Affleck now, so, we're kinda screwed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #61
JediKooter
Coordinator

Matt Damon

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #62
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Seriously...I guess I am just jaded, but doesn't seem like this should be such a hard problem to resolve.

I think it is essentially a question of motivation. If there was significant enough reward I have a feeling the best and brightest would sove this in a week.

As it is BP is catching (and selling/profiting)much of what spills and the total financial damage of what they do not catch seems to be cappeed at this minute...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, it does have the problem of being under a mile of water. That does seem to make things a lot tougher. I mean, this just isn't something easy to do with that much pressure.

I would also argue again- what can the government do on something like this? You basically have BP who can work on it or possibly other oil companies. This isn't something that you can just study up in a few days and then go solve. So, BP is basically the gatekeeper and, as you said, they have questionable motivations at best, particularly once it went on for a month- what's another week or three of bad PR when the damage has already been done. So I'm sure they're just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Just look at the blowup this weekend when Allen said they might have to release the cap because it might be collapsing the pipe. BP has nothing else to lose- it's already a disaster. But if the pipe collapses now that the "government is in charge" then the government stands to lose a ton more if this is an unstoppable leak. However, when the government threatened to do just that, BP threw their PR machine into high gear saying "it's the government's fault if we have to take this cap off and start spewing oil again" (since we plugged the leak).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-21-2010 at 06:38 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #64
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Seriously...I guess I am just jaded, but doesn't seem like this should be such a hard problem to resolve.

I disagree. Once tapped, the oil is under a ridiculous amount of pressure coming up from several miles below the drill site. The presence of significant amounts of natural gas with the oil complicates the engineering problem. Fixes are being implemented a mile below the surface of the ocean. The explosion and subsequent sinking seriously damaged the equipment around the wellhead.

This has always been a complex engineering problem and to be honest I think the engineers from BP, other oil companies and from the government have done a pretty good job under very challenging conditions. The engineers aren't the bad guys here. BP's management are the bad guys here. They're the reason the safety problems were ignored, they're the reason why people were rushing when they shouldn't have been, and they're the reason why people (from their lead) kept underestimating the scope of the problem.

Quote:
As it is BP is catching (and selling/profiting)much of what spills and the total financial damage of what they do not catch seems to be cappeed at this minute...

1. Much of what they are catching is being burned off immediately because it is simply too dangerous to bring dedicated tankers to an area already crowded with other vessels (supertankers are not exactly nimble).

2. Oil that is successfully offloaded to tankers for refining (or to actual refining ships) will be sold and the proceeds will go to wildlife organizations: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6575JH20100608

Again, I'm not trying to be a BP apologist here, I still think their management structure were/are a bunch of greedy assholes, but I fail to see why people seem to need to make up evil stuff BP is supposedly doing when their failures to date are more than enough to paint them quite clearly as evil bastards.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #65
SportsDino
College Prospect

Ya I agree with flere, the engineers in this situation are basically in a 'WTF?!' situation and trying to solve a hard problem quickly. I'd argue more about some of the logistical decisions made along the way, but that is at most tangentially related to experts, and is probably more to do with the suits.

I think some serious rethought of command structure in a disaster needs to be made... BP's suits were almost malicious in their incompetence, so was the government in a lot of its behavior. Sure the best experts might have been private... but that means you get any and all barriers out of the way for them, especially if that happens to be a company at fault trying to cover its ass at the same time as handle a disaster. Their ass will always be given preferential treatment, because these are short sighted greedy ass clowns to begin with.

From the start the government should have stepped in, handled costs, and ordered as much material to the area as possible to get things going, with engineering lead under BP for handling the well, and spill containment under some government organization (with the best consultants future money from BP can buy).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #66
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I wasn't even attempting to get in to the BP fault argument...Im thinking more logistics, I understand thee hole is at the bottom of the ocean, I got it. But we have had submarine technology for ~150 years now...has it not evolved to the point where combined with robotics we can not operate efficiently at that depth?

If not seems a pretty serious hole in our defense from a military stand point at least.

I dont claim to have the answer, but we know the location of the hole.
It would seem to me that a giant cork could be pushed deep enough by a long and strong enough hydraulic ram to clog the flow. Now I dont claim to expect to see literal corks...but why is terrestrial technology not able to be converted to use in a marine envirronemnt?

Or is this truly the first oil well in the history of man to just start gushing uncontrollably...heck I think HA has claimed to start at least 3 of these involving midgets himself...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #67
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Re-reading the title of the thread, you can't hope to stop the gulf oil spill, you only hope to contain it.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #68
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Seriously, the problem is that the oil well is a mile down as well as being underwater. Essentially, you have a mile worth of water, plus whatever rock exists between the oil and the water pushing down on the reservoir.

When you have an oil well issue on the surface, the pressure is not nearly as great. Additionally, you do not have water pushing its way in trying to displace the oil (which you have here). Most wells need to have injection wells to keep the oil pressurized and force it to the surface. Here you don't need it.