Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #101
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone found it harder to prepare for fantasy football drafts with less preseason games and starters rarely playing?

Wholly balls, yes. That and there's really only ONE sure-fire, no risk player in the first round (JT). Everyone else has a question mark or 3
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #102
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fun tidbit.

Poles inherited 77 players from Ryan Pace. In what, 6 months, he's down to 29 players from the Pace era.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:56 PM   #103
QuikSand
lolzcat

QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:04 PM   #104
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Me vs Draftkings commercials this time of year.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #105
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Poles inherited 77 players from Ryan Pace. In what, 6 months, he's down to 29 players from the Pace era.

The Bears fans I know are expressing a mixture of 25% resignation with a tinge of optimism, 25% creeping dread, and 50% a newfound commitment to focusing on their Big 10 team of choice.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:19 PM   #106
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Araiza, 2 SDSU football players accused in rape lawsuit - Los Angeles Times
Old 08-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #107
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ok so that’s the unknown info about the punt god
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:28 PM   #108
RainMaker
General Manager

Now I understand why he fell so far in the draft.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:17 PM   #109
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Fucking punt god. You set up is this wonderful feel good story that everyone loves. And then you do this. I mean, let the legal system play out and all that. But we know how these go at this point.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:09 PM   #110
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I only found out there was a game on Amazon because I saw a mention on Twitter. It's a little weird not even knowing a game is being broadcast because there's no channel guide that would display it

I suppose this is something I need to factor in when deciding whether to cut the cord...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:16 PM   #111
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

RAMS VS BENGALS FIGHT 🤬 Aaron Donald GOING FULL Myles Garrett, Hits Players With Helmet! 😳 - YouTube

the guy swinging helmets not only needs to be kicked out of the league but arrested
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 02:14 PM   #112
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bulls benched punt god last night. I don’t see how they can run him out there. A punter is not worth the distraction. Cut him and let the process go forward.
Old 08-27-2022, 02:42 PM   #113
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Bulls benched punt god last night. I don’t see how they can run him out there. A punter is not worth the distraction. Cut him and let the process go forward.

Yeah, I can't see why a basketball team would need a punter anyways...
Old 08-27-2022, 06:39 PM   #114
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Imagine if Jacoby Brisset goes 11-0 with the Browns
Old 08-27-2022, 06:57 PM   #115
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The bulls cut the Punt god
Old 08-27-2022, 10:20 PM   #116
JPhillips
General Manager

The Ravens' mascot was tackled in an AAU exhibition at halftime and may have a torn ACL.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:28 PM   #117
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Ravens' mascot was tackled in an AAU exhibition at halftime and may have a torn ACL.

https://twitter.com/highlghtheaven/status/1563689680524046336

Why does he keep his fucking mask on the whole time? It's soo hard not to laugh at that.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #118
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The bulls cut the Punt god

The headline really should have been:

"Bills punt the Cunt dog"

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:46 PM   #119
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Gotta respect the mascot who doesn't break character. That's exactly what they're taught. And right in front of kids, too.

Weird preseason. Eleven starting quarterbacks never played. A couple of teams didn't play their primary backups, and the 49ers didn't let Garoppolo, who they're supposedly trying to trade, see the field.

Brady took a possession today, and even denied being on that tv show where mascots sing (and eventually, I guess, remove their costumes - so if he's lying, well, probably no one will care anyway).

Not sure what to make of everything. All we're really judging is quarterbacks who are unlikely to play this season, running vanilla offenses against mostly second and third stringers.

We can play the "who is most screwed if their starting QB goes down" game. I'll go with Buffalo. I'd also mention Jacksonville, but they're not good enough, yet, to be unscrewed, though getting out from Urban Meyer - maybe they'll be a big story this season if Lawrence stays healthy. I have a feeling it will be a long season in New England.

Behind the scenes... Pete Carroll is asking the Steelers about Mitch Trubisky, but Tomlin loves to carry three effective quarterbacks (I haven't heard anything, just makes sense to me).
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #120
JPhillips
General Manager

The Bengals played one starter, LG.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:35 AM   #121
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, watching the Pats in preseason, if they don't get their shit together soon, they could be a 4-12 team.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #122
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
https://twitter.com/highlghtheaven/status/1563689680524046336

Why does he keep his fucking mask on the whole time? It's soo hard not to laugh at that.

I would assume he is embarrassed.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #123
Thomkal
Head Coach

Panthers win the Injury Bad Luck award goes to the Panthers. Rookie QB Corral out for season already then Darnold gets hurt though its looking right now like an ankle strain and kick Gonzalez hurt his groin in warmups for the game last night.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:52 AM   #124
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Panthers win the Injury Bad Luck award goes to the Panthers. Rookie QB Corral out for season already then Darnold gets hurt though its looking right now like an ankle strain and kick Gonzalez hurt his groin in warmups for the game last night.

They got Baker...I would assume this is how he likes it, the only dog in the kennel.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:43 AM   #125
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
They got Baker...I would assume this is how he likes it, the only dog in the kennel.

Yep probably does. But I think the backup right now is PJ Walker. Owner said they would consider bringing Cam Newton back if they need another QB
Old 08-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #126
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

This does make me want to run a modified version of, How many 5-year-olds...
Old 08-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #127
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The Bears fans I know are expressing a mixture of 25% resignation with a tinge of optimism, 25% creeping dread, and 50% a newfound commitment to focusing on their Big 10 team of choice.

I'm pretty sure Poles sold the McCaskey's on the fact that:
1) The roster is/was old and bad.
2) Pace traded away draft picks like candy, and bombed on way too many.
3) Anyone coming in was going to have to tear it all down, rebuild practically empty cupboard, and that means the team is going to be Bad for awhile.

I do think they found at least a halfway competent coaching staff and GM, though, which hasn't happened in quite some time.

On a side note - rumor is Virginia McCaskey is not doing so hot. Could see this time finally sell after she goes.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #128
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Poles sold the McCaskey's on the fact that:
1) The roster is/was old and bad.
2) Pace traded away draft picks like candy, and bombed on way too many.
3) Anyone coming in was going to have to tear it all down, rebuild practically empty cupboard, and that means the team is going to be Bad for awhile.

I do think they found at least a halfway competent coaching staff and GM, though, which hasn't happened in quite some time.

On a side note - rumor is Virginia McCaskey is not doing so hot. Could see this time finally sell after she goes.

The stuff I ready from those who've been watching camp has me cautiously optimistic about Eberflus.

We haven't played a down of meaningful football yet, but the early returns on the Bears draft are very positive and Poles is saying all of the right things.

Fields has been a bit of a mixed bag in camp, but he's also learning a new offense and has almost no talent to throw to. He looked impressive last night and I'll say it again, I can't think of a Bears qb that could throw the ball like Fields does. The ball placement, spin, touch, velocity. When you look at the entire package it's impressive, but I've also spent my lifetime watching Kordell Stewart. Rick Mirer, Mitch Trubisky, Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, ect.

I don't think this team is good and I think the absolute most to expect is maybe 7 wins and being a bit better than expected. A full rebuild is exciting considering the rosters that have been thrown out there since the Super Bowl team 15 years ago and it looks like there's a chance they actually have the right people in place to rebuild the roster and coach it up.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-28-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #129
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I warned people about Pace, Nagy, and Trushitsky. As Casey Stengel said, you can look it up. That said, Poles looks like he knows what he's doing. If his decisions re: player personnel get the Bears to 7 wins I will be ecstatic. I like the no-nonsense approach that Eberflus has taken so perhaps that's a really good hire. And that kid Fields? He's got a real chance. It was only a preseason game against the Browns, but some of those throws/decisions yesterday were All-Pro quality. Every year I wonder if the Bears will send out a professional NFL team or something out of D-II. They may not win many games, but from what I have seen they are miles better than that undisciplined garbage they were passing off as a football team the last few seasons.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #130
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Could see this time finally sell after she goes.

Why would they sell? Once they move to Arlington Heights, they can print money with all the facilities they can build & lease over the 300+ acres.

Unless you're thinking they'll be ready to sell to someone at a premium price who knows best how to monetize all that.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:03 PM   #131
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Ten, 12 years ago the selling of the Bears was all over sports radio. Fans were clamoring for a new winning ownership group. I think the problem has to do with the inheritance taxes or something else financial. The kids don't have the money to keep the team. Their situation may have changed since then, I don't know.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #132
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I think if a team fails to win a playoff game in a decade then the owner should be forced to sell the team.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #133
henry296
College Starter

Sounds similar to what happened with the Broncos.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:36 PM   #134
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The Bears were the only undefeated team in preseason with more than one road win. So there's that.

Of course, in 2008, when the Lions became the NFL's first 0-16 team, they were the only undefeated team during the preseason.

It's not just ownership. Everyone uses most of the salary cap. It's poor management. And, to be accurate about it, the fan base has to take some blame here. They're worse than the New York fan bases when it comes to hatred of their starting quarterback.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:19 PM   #135
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Why would they sell? Once they move to Arlington Heights, they can print money with all the facilities they can build & lease over the 300+ acres.

Unless you're thinking they'll be ready to sell to someone at a premium price who knows best how to monetize all that.

I think that's exactly the case - I don't think this generation of McCaskey's has any interest in staying in the NFL ownership club. They'd be more than happy taking the massive chunk of change that selling would bring them, and getting out.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:28 PM   #136
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

They are pretty cash poor since it's an inherited team and most of the family never accomplished much in life. They don't have the money to build a state-of-the-art facility in Arlington Heights and I don't think the taxpayers out there are going to float $2 billion. They're still paying back loans from when they had to pitch in for renovations at Soldier Field.

The other issue is Virginia has a HUGE family. She has 11 kids and like 40 grandkids. Probably easier to get a huge payout and just divvy it up amongst the family.

Also, Virginia has been used to soften public criticism. The Bears are one of the worst run organizations in the NFL, but it's hard to pick on a nice 95-year old lady who is the daughter of football royalty. But her failkids? They'll be fair game and I don't think it'll be pretty.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:07 PM   #137
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Attorney for woman who accused Matt Araiza of rape blasts Bills and his representation

The details of the gangrape are like quite icky
Old 08-28-2022, 09:09 PM   #138
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Aaron Donald needs to be suspended at a minimum
Pretty much arrested...
Old 08-28-2022, 10:19 PM   #139
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Sure seems like a lot of teams knew and that's why he fell so far in the draft. Either the Bills didn't know and are incompetent, or they did know and were hoping it would be kept quiet.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:37 AM   #140
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Aaron Donald needs to be suspended at a minimum
Pretty much arrested...

Fights happen and these guys are animals, but if he really was swinging a helmet (I haven't seen a video) he should be suspended.

Curious how that works with the league if they have any authority to suspend him since it was a practice and not a game.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:45 AM   #141
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Fights happen and these guys are animals, but if he really was swinging a helmet (I haven't seen a video) he should be suspended.

Curious how that works with the league if they have any authority to suspend him since it was a practice and not a game.

League has already said that it lacks jurisdiction. Which I am sure is true. And I am also sure the league is very happy it does not have to deal with the question. The Rams will “punish” him, and it will be done with.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:59 AM   #142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
League has already said that it lacks jurisdiction. Which I am sure is true. And I am also sure the league is very happy it does not have to deal with the question. The Rams will “punish” him, and it will be done with.

aha. Figured as much. Thought maybe since it was a joint practice could be different. Undisclosed fine coming up.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:37 AM   #143
bhlloy
Coordinator

Roids are bad, m’kay
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:47 AM   #144
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. Multiple swings with the helmet. That should be a long suspension.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Wow. Multiple swings with the helmet. That should be a long suspension.

Zero chance his own team suspends him.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:05 AM   #146
Kodos
Resident Alien

I realize that. But it should be a suspension nonetheless.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:25 AM   #147
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not following terribly closely, but what, really, is out of the NFL's jurisdiction for punishment, considering all sports leagues and, especially, the NFL disciplines players for off the field stuff? I assume this is just an easy excuse to get out of having to make a call here.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:52 AM   #148
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So the Bengals have zero recourse for Aaron Donald's actions? It seems like they should have some kind of say in this.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #149
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Not following terribly closely, but what, really, is out of the NFL's jurisdiction for punishment, considering all sports leagues and, especially, the NFL disciplines players for off the field stuff? I assume this is just an easy excuse to get out of having to make a call here.

SI

My guess (and it really is just a guess) is that the CBA has something to say about it.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #150
sabotai
General Manager

Multiple hockey players have been charged and convicted of assault for doing with their hockey sticks exactly what Aaron Donald (and Myles Garrett) did with a football helmet. He absolutely should be charged with assault.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote