Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #251
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

My Mom is in town and is taking me and my better half out to dinner right after work, so it will be pretty late tonight before I can get my hands on my 360 controller. I love that the reviews are already so positive though.

We should seriously think about starting up an online FOFC Dynasty.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #252
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Demo is for Xbox 360 Gold members only.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #253
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post

All Demos are available to Gold members first, but made available to Silver members approximately 1 week later.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #254
Anthony
Banned

too much stuff going on. OOTP9 already on my PC, now i gotta, i GOTTA, download this demo to start getting a head start on my FOFC MP mojo. i'm gonna spank EF27 to the point where he's going to require a trip to the psychologist couch.

there. it's been said.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #255
Flasch186
Coordinator

oh no he di'int

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #256
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

You're gunna need a lot of practice if you're going to spank anybody with the roster Syracuse has...outside of Tim Lincecum of course.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #257
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm looking forward to putting HA's team in their place.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #258
Icy
Pro Starter

Not available yet in the PSN

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #259
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Not available yet in the PSN

Estimates are that it will be 4-5 more hours as PSN updates around the same time every Thursday.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #260
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
too much stuff going on. OOTP9 already on my PC, now i gotta, i GOTTA, download this demo to start getting a head start on my FOFC MP mojo. i'm gonna spank EF27 to the point where he's going to require a trip to the psychologist couch.

there. it's been said.

We need your votes in the other forum.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #261
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'll check it out today. I'll have a period where I'll be moving so by the time we start playing the league, I'll be a little rusty on the sticks.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #262
rowech
Pro Starter

I just played again to make sure I didn't speak too highly. I don't think I did. I really think it is that good. I threw a pick in each game -- both my fault. Machine threw none. Super LB interception had once chance and didn't make it. It struck me that I think the computer has more of a lob when throwing over the middle. In two games, only one fumble and it was my QB getting drilled by Laurinatius running up the middle. Well within reason.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #263
Galaxy
Coordinator

If your online in a dynasty, will you get live weather at the time you actually play?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-19-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #264
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You'll get weather based on a database of what weather is likely to be occurring in that city at that time. Live weather is out as it doesn't make sense for a December game to be 90 degrees and sunny just because you are playing it in July in real life.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #265
Ironhead
College Prospect

Downloading right now, will have some impressions in about 2 hours or so.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #266
Logan
Head Coach

Fired up a game, took control of Ohio State...typing up this post as I play.

I start off kicking to LSU, they throw deep on their first play (nice to see based on last year) but I pick it off with my safety who came over for help. Returned it about 10 yards to just get into LSU territory.

I put together a scoring drive, going 4-5 through the air for about 40 yards and ran it a few times with little success. I punched it in from the one with plunge up the gut.

They come back downfield, fake the hell out of me with a PA on 4th and inches around the 50, and gain about 20. Four plays later, they're in the end zone after a couple nice completions on slants. 30 seconds to go in the first half.

I run the kickoff back for a 90 yard score! I broke two tackles, bounced outside, and tore past everyone with #3. We go into halftime up 14-7.

Are kickoff returns too easy? Apparently not...as I get drilled with the same #3 and don't even make it back to the 20. This being my first play with plenty of field to use, I pick a play where the SE is running a go route to see if tapping the pass button will produce a lob. Sure enough it does, and my QB sends it a solid 50 yards downfield. My guy goes up for it, grabs it...and is promptly separated from the ball by a safety. Completely destroyed. Nicely done.

Back in shotgun, I call a slip screen for Chris Wells...who sells the block well, gets out into open space, catches the ball, has a convoy, and takes it 64 yards to the house! Thanks Varsity.

Rest of the game was uneventful. I picked off one more pass on a nice play by my DB, it probably shouldn't have been thrown but it was late in the game with me up 14, so it's understandable in context. Final score, OSU - 21, LSU - 7.

Last edited by Logan : 06-19-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #267
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post

So many games/places have free 48-hour gold memberships in them. Check your old game cases or on the internet to see if you can find one. Even check your local Blockbuster or Gamestop to see if there's one in a coverbox at their store.

You may want to get gold anyway to play in an online league
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #268
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
You'll get weather based on a database of what weather is likely to be occurring in that city at that time. Live weather is out as it doesn't make sense for a December game to be 90 degrees and sunny just because you are playing it in July in real life.

I'm glad about that. I just wasn't sure how they set it up.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #269
Ironhead
College Prospect

Just finished my first game and I was disappointed. Ended up winning 35-0 with three INTs returned for touchdowns. The game is on varsity, but again this is only 2 minute quarters.

The game played very similar to last year. I always felt that movement felt didn't feel completely right in last years game and this year doesn't seem much different. Still, I liked last year's game enough to do a full blown writeup of two seasons worth of dynasty so this will still get a purchase for online dynasty.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #270
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Just played the demo, not that impressed but we'll see.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #271
Kodos
Resident Alien

I got in a couple games, and generally liked it. Passing game seems better, and the game in general just seems more fun. Crowds look bad. Love the squiggling lines when the QB is rattled.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-19-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #272
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

So...

I played the hell out of last years version. I'm not sure what people here are talking about when they say "the way players move hasn't changed", because the second I took 3 steps after the openning kickoff and my guy PLANTED when I tried to change direction, I said "whoa...this feels completely different" outloud. The game looks nicer, and plays much different than last year. I won my game 6-3 on a 40 yarder as time expired (the "ice the kicker" feature is well done). Very impressed...very impressed. I'm looking forward to the online dynasty.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-19-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 PM   #273
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm not sure what games you guys are expecting to get if you're not impressed. The genre has generally topped out in what it can do but to me this game felt extremely polished in all respects.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #274
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'm nervous about the turnovers. I've played 1.5 games and I've had two INT's for TD's. In my last (half) game I had 3 total INT's plus I threw one. I do agree that the gameplay flows much better. The framerate never dipped once which was a huge change from 08. I could also see about the lack of pass rush. There was one play where I seriously had 8 seconds to throw the ball...and I wasn't under pressure when I threw it.

I will play more tonight to see how the turnovers are. These early impressions do make me nervous. I know it's on varsity and all...but should anyone have THREE pick-sixes on one game, regardless of level? And I've had 5 INT's in a game-and-a-half.

We'll see...
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #275
rowech
Pro Starter

You have to look at the interceptions and decide if they're your fault though. I remember watching people play this game after they had complained and it was unbelievable to me the passes they were making.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #276
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm getting a lot of INT's too. I think the problem is that QB accuracy is down, which should be a good thing (In previous versions QB would either throw it perfect or throw it a mile away..you'd never see slightly inaccurate passes). However, the LB's are just catching machines.

I'm worried that they're just too good at catching the ball and won't knock down enough. I guess sliders will help, but I'm nervous about it.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #277
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I'm getting a lot of INT's too. I think the problem is that QB accuracy is down, which should be a good thing (In previous versions QB would either throw it perfect or throw it a mile away..you'd never see slightly inaccurate passes). However, the LB's are just catching machines.

I'm worried that they're just too good at catching the ball and won't knock down enough. I guess sliders will help, but I'm nervous about it.

must... reserve... judgement

Super jumping linebackers with WR hands is something that has driven me crazy in Madden for the last 3 years at least, but NCAA hasn't been as bad. If NCAA has gone down that road, I'm going to be pissed...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #278
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

There wasn't a single interception in my game...

Also keep in mind this is Varsity. You should be winning, and winning big.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #279
Tigercat
College Starter

My first impression is, "Why does LSU have Jacksonville State's QB starting for them?"

Just my opinion, but Intercepting LBs doesn't seem quite as bad with this version thus far. As mentioned, QB accuracy is down, so that does cause more INTs overall though.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #280
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
You have to look at the interceptions and decide if they're your fault though. I remember watching people play this game after they had complained and it was unbelievable to me the passes they were making.

Sorry if it was unclear. I intercepted the AI repeatedly. I've had pick-sixes in 3 of the 4 games I've played (that's TD's by me). The last two games there has been only 1 INT (picked by my team against the AI and I ret'd it for a TD).

And complaining about NCAA 08, my team would have ridiculous INT's. Like half of my games I would have 6-9 INT's (again, me picking off the AI). And many multiple defensive TD games.

The last two games were much better though. The game runs silky smooth. I've never seen the framerate dip. There are also many new animations which are nice.

I do agree with the assessment that shredding the D is way too easy with passing. Again, I know it's on varsity, but in my last game I went 13/14 for 214 yds and 4 TD's. My only incompletion was on a 40 yard attempt that I barely missed.

I do like the wide-open aspect of the game. I was always a run-first guy before, but I've been a pass-first guy so far on this. I'm sure the harder difficulties will curtail this, but the passing isn't nearly as awful as before. Being able to lob the ball also is pretty cool. It was so much tougher for me in 08.

So the last 2 games I played were pretty fun. Big wins of course and only 1 total defensive TD/1 total turnover. If the INT's stay down and the harder difficulties/sliders can turn down the completion percentage, then I think I may like this game.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:57 AM   #281
Icy
Pro Starter

As we have only 30fps in the PS3 past year, i see players movement way more fluid this year, but besides that, can't find big differences. One important one is that touch passing is more sensitive.

The thing that still pisses me off is that "next gen" graphics in the Ps3 at least, still have the feeling of not anti aliasing being used andfor example the crowd when the camera pans at the start of the game is simple an horrible pixelated mess. I can also see the pixelated borders in the players in close views. There are older games that look way more polished in a top end Pc with a good graphic card. I exected next gen to blow my mind, and i think it only can impress players who have moved from current gen consoles to next gen consoles, but not the high end machines PC gammers.

Still will buy it as i enjoyed a lot past year playing the campus legend mode and it will be better this year with the more fluid 60fps, but i'm not impresssed either.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #282
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
The thing that still pisses me off is that "next gen" graphics in the Ps3 at least, still have the feeling of not anti aliasing being used andfor example the crowd when the camera pans at the start of the game is simple an horrible pixelated mess. I can also see the pixelated borders in the players in close views. There are older games that look way more polished in a top end Pc with a good graphic card. I exected next gen to blow my mind, and i think it only can impress players who have moved from current gen consoles to next gen consoles, but not the high end machines PC gammers.

Still will buy it as i enjoyed a lot past year playing the campus legend mode and it will be better this year with the more fluid 60fps, but i'm not impresssed either.

So you're using an EA-developed game as the measure of a console's power? I'd suggest that games like Gears of War and Metal Gear Solid 4 are much better indicators of what can be done on the consoles than a EA sports game. There's little question that EA produces games on this generation that only marginally scratch the surface of what can be done on the systems. Blame EA, not Sony or Microsoft.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #283
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Two pick-6's in my first try at the demo. It's in the game!

New year, same ending. But I'm sure they'll fix the issues before release.......
Old 06-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #284
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I haven't downloaded the PS3 demo yet, but I will today so I can see it for myself. However, unlike you, Mizzou B-ball fan, I WILL blame Sony for this one. Sure, it's great to make a console that apparently has more power than a Cray supercomputer, but it's absolutely pathetic to make the development environment so obscure that only the chosen few can take advantage of it. Sony can't play the suprised game here when it come to development for multiple platforms.

I hope this is a lesson to all the makers this generation - make a great console but also make it easy for development teams to get every last byte and MFLOP out of it.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #285
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

One of the main developers has said this is an old build because it takes Sony and Microsoft about a month to approve a demo. For example, Ryan Perilloux (sp?) isn't on LSU in the final build. They also reportedly tuned the interceptions more before the Gold build was finalized and the option was fixed between this build and the final build. Here is an interesting post from one of the community reps:

Aight I have to tell the truth here I'm glad you all like the demo for the most part that's great. On the flip side this demo is horrible compared to the game that I played at community day.

This build has to be old maybe its from the NYC event, but I know for a fact that this isn't the same game. I have scored over 60 points in every game on this demo. The big give away is the option its broken in the demo, in contrast the build we played at community day the option was spot on money.

There are about 5 or 6 other dead give aways in this demo as well but no need to scare the hell out of everybody.

If you like this demo you are going to love this real game. But for me this demo is not a representation of the game we played at community day at all.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #286
astrosfan64
College Prospect

The demo is also on varsity level.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #287
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
One of the main developers has said this is an old build because it takes Sony and Microsoft about a month to approve a demo. For example, Ryan Perilloux (sp?) isn't on LSU in the final build. They also reportedly tuned the interceptions more before the Gold build was finalized and the option was fixed between this build and the final build.

Remain calm! All is well! ALL IS WELL!!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #288
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Remain calm! All is well! ALL IS WELL!!!!

How ironic that you would post this.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #289
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The PS3 will win this GENERATION!!!!

You would think a Sony whore would be an EA fan, since they've been a big factor in each other's past successes.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-20-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #290
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
How ironic that you would post this.

Not sure why. These kinds of comments come out of the NCAA/Madden teams each and every year. They sound just as stupid as when Sony claimed that supply constraints were causing slow PS3 sales or when Microsoft claimed that lagging 2008 sales were also due to supply constraints. There's a reason why statements like this from EA fall on deaf ears. It's a new year with the same old tune. Their M.O. is to calm fears until one week after release. After that, they don't care because they've made their money.

I'll accept your critique as long as you're ready to admit that EA took the public for fools once again when we reach September and the game still has numerous warts. I'd love for the game to be good because Mizzou is actually one of the best teams in the game this year, but I've been kicked in the nuts by EA far too many times.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-20-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #291
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There are legitimate reasons besides EA to believe the demo is significantly different from the final product. On a bad note, the pass rush was "too powerful" in older builds and that is why the demo may not have the lack of a pass rush problem, but it still may be an issue in the retail version.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-20-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #292
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

You would think a Sony whore would be an EA fan, since they've been a big factor in each other's past successes.

I find it ironic that someone who expects a respectful conversation on the game would find this to be a constructive way of reaching that goal. If you'd like to enter a name calling contest, that's fine, but it doesn't achieve anything other than taking the thread down a negative path.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #293
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There are legitimate reasons besides EA to believe the demo is significantly different from the final product. On a bad note, the pass rush was "too powerful" in older builds and that is why the demo may not have the lack of a pass rush problem, but it still may be an issue in the retail version.

As long as those reasons include a solid retail version with none of the tomfoolery of past versions of the game, I'll be the first one to admit I'm wrong and plop down my hard-earned money. EA has given reason in the past versions to be very wary.

Edit: I'd add that I believe that is the reason that EF27 is looking as hard as he can to find positive impressions of the game. We're all NCAA football fans and we'd LOVE to have a good game that isn't just an upgrade with the same old issues.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-20-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #294
Phototropic
Mascot

I'm starting to think I might wait until some impressions are in on the retail version. I like the game quite a bit, but I'm seeing as many or more INTs than punts. It's just not something I want to be thinking about as I'm playing.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #295
Atocep
Coordinator

I haven't bought or played a version of NCAA in 3 years and I liked the demo a bit, but I probably wouldn't buy the game based off of it. I'm glad to gear that its an old build of the game, though. I'll remain optimistic that the game will end up worth buying.

I'll agree with what Icy said about the crowds. They look embarrassingly bad on the PS3 (I haven't played the 360 version to compare) and the overall textures were less than impressive. If it really is an old build I'm hoping they put some work into smoothing the graphics out a bit.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #296
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Can someone point me in the direction of the perfect sports games, console or text sim please. I get the impression it is easy to do so I know they must be out there.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #297
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The demo is okay. It was somewhat underwhelming, but really last year's game wasn't too bad. I don't have a problem with INTs that much, but in the one game I played I won 21-0. Probably could've won by more but I was running out the clock in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters because I had to get to work. Two interceptions by me and the comp had none.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #298
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My first game, the first pass by Boeckman was an overthrow and an INT, but that was the only pick of the game. Next 2 games, I had 2 picks with OSU's defense. LSU defense got 1 the next 2 games. The good thing is that the picks weren't made by super linebackers. My bigger issue with the demo is that their are certain routes that seem like they are undefendable unless you get to the QB quickly. Hopefully, a human opponent will be able to counter them or they will be fixed in the final product.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #299
Anthony
Banned

let me let the cat out of the bag for you, Mizzou:

this game will not be without it's problems. there will be some glitches. console sports games are chasing perfection, but they will never be perfect. you gotta roll with the punches and just hope every new year brings new features worth paying for. this version will have online multiplayer dynasty. while you may not care for it - to me i'd pay $10 more for this feature alone. while future versions may not be worth the money, this one is. the only thing that would top this is all teams are able to be controlled by humans in a huge 100+ team online dynasty. until then, this game is tops.

and for what it's worth, i doubt you can honestly say this version is not better than anything we were playing back in the 90's. people back in the 90's wish they had access to a sports game as advanced as NCAA '09. just what exactly are you comparing this game to? as cringer said - what is the perfect example that is the standard by which "crap" like NCAA '09 is judged by.

these are video games. in the end, it doesn't matter one bit what it can or can't do. it's a beautiful world out there, mizzou, you'll miss out on a lot if all you do is worry about the few clouds that are in an otherwise wonderfully blue sky. sometimes you just gotta appreciate things as-is. the only way you'll ever be able to experience college football in 100 perfect realism is if you enroll in a school and play on the football team. if you're looking for it in a video game then i feel bad for you. fun is what you should be looking for. i'm gonna have a ton of fun in the FOFC MP NCAA '09 league. i'm not gonna let one or two extra INTs/fumbles than normal ruin what's gonna be a great experience.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #300
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
let me let the cat out of the bag for you, Mizzou:

this game will not be without it's problems. there will be some glitches. console sports games are chasing perfection, but they will never be perfect. you gotta roll with the punches and just hope every new year brings new features worth paying for. this version will have online multiplayer dynasty. while you may not care for it - to me i'd pay $10 more for this feature alone. while future versions may not be worth the money, this one is. the only thing that would top this is all teams are able to be controlled by humans in a huge 100+ team online dynasty. until then, this game is tops.

and for what it's worth, i doubt you can honestly say this version is not better than anything we were playing back in the 90's. people back in the 90's wish they had access to a sports game as advanced as NCAA '09. just what exactly are you comparing this game to? as cringer said - what is the perfect example that is the standard by which "crap" like NCAA '09 is judged by.

these are video games. in the end, it doesn't matter one bit what it can or can't do. it's a beautiful world out there, mizzou, you'll miss out on a lot if all you do is worry about the few clouds that are in an otherwise wonderfully blue sky. sometimes you just gotta appreciate things as-is. the only way you'll ever be able to experience college football in 100 perfect realism is if you enroll in a school and play on the football team. if you're looking for it in a video game then i feel bad for you. fun is what you should be looking for. i'm gonna have a ton of fun in the FOFC MP NCAA '09 league. i'm not gonna let one or two extra INTs/fumbles than normal ruin what's gonna be a great experience.

I started to tear up at the end of that... LOL
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote