Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
whomario
Pro Starter

The 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver/Whistler

Opening ceremony on Friday ! closing ceremony Sunday, 28th.

what events are you looking forward to ?

Me personally the ski jumping events, allways been a big fan of the sport for many years now.
Also love the Biathlon.

Played curling myself, so gotta watch that even though i realize itīs definitely not an entertaining event for the outsider

After being at both places for a couple days last spring i kind of feel connected to the games more than usually.

Glad i have a DVR since new years, coming in handy with the time difference and all. Only gotta avoid the internet on days after recorded events ...

Last edited by whomario : 02-10-2010 at 06:49 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Played curling myself, so gotta watch that even though i realize itīs definitely not an entertaining event for the outsider

I look forward to the winter olympics primarily for curling.

Hockey is played 10 months a year, can see it nightly.

Figure skating makes tv for its big championships.

Winter X games is on every year.

The rest of the sports are pretty boring.

But curling and speed skating, you only get at the Olympics. This will be the first time I have a DVR during the Olympics, so I can pretty much fill my day with curling.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm over curling. It's just cool at the Olympics because people who can't get into other events go watch.

Speedskating is too dramatic these days with the whole US team rift and the 1000x articles about how little money they make.

I'll watch, but it's not as interesting as it used to be.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I find it hard to get excited about sports that I have no interest in regularly. Just because it is the Olympics doesn't mean that curling is any closer to being worth watching.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-10-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm just bordering on amazed they still make this.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I always watch the Olympics as best as possible.

Speed Skating, Biathlon, Ski jump, luge and Bobsledding I love.

I missed out on when they came to Utah and I lived there. Never went to any event, couldn't do it at the time.

So I hope to DVR what I miss.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
molson
General Manager

Just Ice Hockey.

I can't get into a sport where it looks like everyone's doing exactly the same thing, except one of them does it .00001 seconds faster than everyone else.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

do they have snow yet?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Johnny93g
College Starter

I was 8 the last time Canada hosted the games. We didn't win a gold and the big heroes were Elizabeth Manley, who won bronze I think, and Brian Orser, who won silver. But i remember them as a huge deal, school projects, watching events in class....

I am pretty excited, I think we'll get 24 hour coverage on 4 channels here. Always something to watch, and alot of projections have Canada doing quite well. We may actually win a gold!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I can't wait to watch the hockey...the 21st will be a great day!

Sunday, February 21
3:00 pm RUSSIA vs. CZECH REPUBLIC
7:45 pm CANADA vs. USA
12:00 am SWEDEN vs. FINLAND
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I look forward to the winter olympics primarily for curling.

Hockey is played 10 months a year, can see it nightly.

Figure skating makes tv for its big championships.

Winter X games is on every year.

The rest of the sports are pretty boring.

But curling and speed skating, you only get at the Olympics. This will be the first time I have a DVR during the Olympics, so I can pretty much fill my day with curling.

I'll disagree with this. Hockey is very cool (to me) at the Olympics since you get very different teams. And we get a ton of curling up here regularly. I've only started to watch curling this year (women's) when I noticed a couple of cute, young girls on one of the province teams.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'll disagree with this. Hockey is very cool (to me) at the Olympics since you get very different teams. And we get a ton of curling up here regularly. I've only started to watch curling this year (women's) when I noticed a couple of cute, young girls on one of the province teams.

We don't get any non-Olympic curling here. I am fascinated by it, and cannot wait to see it. I will probably skip the evening broadcast heavy with snowboarding and figure skating and watch DVR'ed curling.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
do they have snow yet?

thereīs plenty of snow in Whistler. Not so much on Cypress Mountain by Vancouver, but they have it covered with transports and artificial snow i guess.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Kevin
High School JV

Despite all the hype up here about trying to win the most medals, I think most Canadians really only care about hockey gold and then curling. Other medals are nice to have but these four are far and away the big barometer of Olympic success.

I will never forget watching the 2002 men's gold medal hockey game in the Ottawa airport. We drank the bar dry of all their beer and any flights boarding during the third period left without several of their passengers who refused to leave sight of the televisions.

It was also so cool that kids in Newfoundland and Labrador got the day off school in 2006 for the mens' gold medal curling match.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm all about the curling. I think they showed a bunch of it on MSNBC or CNBC the last Winter Olympics. They showed several matches throughout the day. It was all kinds of awesome.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I couldn't care less about the curling, since we are inundated with it up here and, for the most part, the competition in the various tournaments within Canada is stronger overall than what we'll see in the Oly's.

Ice Hockey, mens and womens, will be my big focus. Although I looked at the schedule and there isn't really a good game until the 20th or 21st. Seems like all the top teams are just playing against scrubs for their first couple games, which is pretty boring.

The aerials in skiing are fun to watch, but I won't go out of my way.

Everything else will only be watched if I happen to be sitting around and I can't think of anything else to watch or do.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 02-10-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I couldn't care less about the curling, since we are inundated with it up here and, for the most part, the competition in the various tournaments within Canada is stronger overall than what we'll see in the Oly's.

I smell Canuck elitism. Our curling stones are bigger than your curling stones.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

love the olympics. will probably dvr a ton of stuff. luge/bobsled aren't that exciting, nor is curling, but most everything else will get dvr'd.

not sure if i like summer or winter more. summer has some great sports - water polo anyone???
Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

wtf are the Oly's??? Is that some of your crazy canadian slang???
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
The aerials in skiing are fun to watch, but I won't go out of my way.

See, I think that stuff, and the snowboarding, is glorified figure skating. Besides being avaliable to watch every winter on ESPN.

I feel like we are inundated with that crap here.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #21
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Speaking of curling, the Canadian Men's team (Kevin Martin and friends) have been training at a local rink here in Edmonton...and it so happens my grandfather curls there as well. One morning a few weeks ago both my grandfather and Kevin Martin were doing their thing when my grandfather made a pretty nice double. Kevin and his crew cheered the great shot and acknowledged the old guys playing on the sheet next to them. Well, my grandfather (who's quite the character and never one to shy away from any opportunity to be a joker) hollers over to Martin, one of the best curlers in the world:

"Maybe if you keep at this game you might be able to make a shot like that someday!"
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Speaking of curling, the Canadian Men's team (Kevin Martin and friends) have been training at a local rink here in Edmonton...and it so happens my grandfather curls there as well. One morning a few weeks ago both my grandfather and Kevin Martin were doing their thing when my grandfather made a pretty nice double. Kevin and his crew cheered the great shot and acknowledged the old guys playing on the sheet next to them. Well, my grandfather (who's quite the character and never one to shy away from any opportunity to be a joker) hollers over to Martin, one of the best curlers in the world:

"Maybe if you keep at this game you might be able to make a shot like that someday!"

awwwww

your grandfather knew who it was he was talking to i assume?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-10-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #23
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
not sure if i like summer or winter more. summer has some great sports - water polo anyone???

Water Polo is evil, most brutal sport iīve ever played. My cousinīs cousins both allways played (1 of them actually played for the national team on a few ocasions and was one of the last cuts before the bejing olympics) and one birthday they got me to give in and i came with them to a practice of their clubs b-team. Most intense experience in my live, absolutely terrifying and unbelievably exhausting.
And iīm a pretty good swimmer, so it wasnīt like i was drowning by myself allready.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
mckerney
Coordinator

I am most looking forward to the Olympics being over so there will be new episodes of Chuck on again.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I am most looking forward to the Olympics being over so there will be new episodes of Chuck on again.

+1.

I don't know how I didn't already figure it would be like that but I was disappointed when at the end of the last episode it said it won't be back until the monday following the winter olympics.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #26
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
awwwww

your grandfather knew who it was he was talking to i assume?

Every curler (and probably any Canadian who reads the sports section of their local newspaper) knows who Kevin Martin is...so, yes, he most certainly did.

Regarding the Olympics, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the Opening Ceremonies...hockey...curling...and speed skating. It will also be a very much needed break from the Oilers...I think that's what I'm looking forward to the most.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #27
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I think I'll be DVRing some curling this time around as well. Last time, I didn't see much curling coverage in the evenings. Too damn much figure skating.

I think my wife is a bit curious as to why I have three curling apps for my iPod Touch.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
any Canadian who reads the sports section of their local newspaper

You guys still have newspapers? That is so 20th century.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #29
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Racist.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

They should really move basketball to the winter olympics.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Half a dozen jokes here. Half a dozen easily.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #32
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Half a dozen jokes here. Half a dozen easily.

Are any of them knock-knock jokes? It's been a while since I've heard a good knock-knock joke.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #33
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

We have to do something with all the trees we removed to twin the highways in BC for the Olympics!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Are any of them knock-knock jokes? It's been a while since I've heard a good knock-knock joke.

Hehe...no.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #35
Tasan
College Starter

I like just about all of it except for cross country skiing and downhill slalom. I can't wait for some curling and bobsledding/skeleton/luge. If anyone else has it, the Universal Sports station has been showing the World Cup events from the down-the-ice sports like bobsledding for the last few weeks.

I'm also geeked for ski jumping. There's just something about flying down a hill with nothing but skis and a prayer that is just cool.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

When it returns I strongly suggest you nag everyone you know to return to watching it quickly.

It's basically considered a bubble show, on the renewal side at this point but if the return is slow and they drop down to something like 2.2 or less instead of their standard 2.4-2.5 then it could find itself on the wrong side of the bubble.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1
Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Chalk me up as another one who loves the curling, my wife doesn't get why. I'm not sure I do either.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #39
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I think I'll be DVRing some curling this time around as well. Last time, I didn't see much curling coverage in the evenings. Too damn much figure skating.

I think my wife is a bit curious as to why I have three curling apps for my iPod Touch.

How's Age of Curling anyway? It actually looks like it could be interesting.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #40
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Knock Knock.

Who's There?

Basketball.

Basketball who?

Basketball in the Winter Olympics.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 AM   #41
whomario
Pro Starter

actually also looking forward to the hockey tournament as i normally donīt follow the sport but really enjoy it every other year at the worl championchips or Olympics.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I can't wait for the hockey to start. I already have the schedule printed out and highlighted for each of the games. I'm a little torn about the whole thing, however.

On one hand, I'd like to see America win the gold, because, well, I'm American. On the other hand, I would like to see Canada win because Steve Yzerman is the GM and Mike Babcock is the head coach. Then you have the half dozen Red Wings on the Swedish team, though they won it last time so I am not overly concerned, and the Russian team should be a ton of fun to watch. I don't think Russia is quite as deep as Canada, but I don't think any team can really beat their top forwards: Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuck, and Datsyuk.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #43
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
On one hand, I'd like to see America win the gold, because, well, I'm American. On the other hand, I would like to see Canada win because Steve Yzerman is the GM and Mike Babcock is the head coach.

You forgot to add that your man crush Sidney Crosby is on that team too.

On a serious note, I'm also really excited for the hockey...but I am pulling for the USA 100%. It'll be the first time that all my friends and I can root for the same team...pretty much ever.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Woot! I love the Winter Olympics. I enjoy it far more than the Summer ones. Mostly for sports like curling, speed skating, luge, and the skiing, as well as interesting stuff like speed biking (or whatever its called).
Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #45
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

The Summer Olympics are far more interesting, this would help close the gap.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The Summer Olympics are far more interesting, this would help close the gap.

Taking hockey out of the equation, I find the Summer and Winter games to be pretty much equal. But once you take olympic hockey into account, it's a no brainer.

The Winter Olympics is really just an awesome hockey tournament with a bunch of other stuff going on around the periphery.

Olympic basketball does nothing for me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #47
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Jagr to carry the flag for Czech Republic
Ziggy Palffy to carry the flag for Slovakia
Peter Forsberg to carry the flag for Sweden
Alexei Morozov to carry the flag for Russia
Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Jagr to carry the flag for Czech Republic
Ziggy Palffy to carry the flag for Slovakia
Peter Forsberg to carry the flag for Sweden
Alexei Morozov to carry the flag for Russia

Will the Flying Tomato be carrying the U.S. flag?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #49
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Will the Flying Tomato be carrying the U.S. flag?

I'm sure you were joking, but if i had to guess (and i haven't looked...i'm sure the info is out there), I'd guess it'd be Apollo Ohno carrying the U.S. flag.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well now i looked and i was wrong

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Back in 1984, Mark Grimmette was startled to find bulldozers ripping into the side of his favorite sledding hill.
Turns out, a luge track was being built. Grimmette went out and helped the crew finish the job.

That was the first step along a path that would bring him to five Olympics as a doubles luge competitor, plus the honor of being the U.S. flagbearer for Friday night's opening ceremony of the Vancouver Games.