Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #451
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
UCLA faced a very similar situation, and actually held up pretty well against the #1 team in the country. Maybe IU will put up a fight, too.

I'd be happy if we don't get blown out.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #452
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think I will contribute to this thread with an occasional update of the STATE OF ARKANSAS RPI RANKINGS!!!

140. UALR
179. Arkansas State
277. UAPB
283. UCA
298. Arkansas

Is there a suicide smiley on this board???
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #453
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I think I will contribute to this thread with an occasional update of the STATE OF ARKANSAS RPI RANKINGS!!!

140. UALR
179. Arkansas State
277. UAPB
283. UCA
298. Arkansas

Even if you lose all of your SEC games your SoS should push ahead of those other Arkansas schools.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #454
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:

140. UALR
179. Arkansas State
277. UAPB
283. UCA
298. Arkansas

Technically not "on this board," but should still suffice...

Linky: hxxp://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_selbstmord.gif
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 12-07-2009 at 05:47 PM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #455
MJ4H
Coordinator

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #456
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

140. UALR
179. Arkansas State
277. UAPB
283. UCA
298. Arkansas

Does it help that an Arkansas transfer is starting for the currently #13 RPI team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #457
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just a guess but Cyrus McGowen?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #458
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Just a guess but Cyrus McGowen?

Sean McCurdy.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #459
MJ4H
Coordinator

Oh wow W&M is #13?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #460
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Oh wow W&M is #13?

For now..

It really is a dream season right now. I know it will come down to earth, so I have to enjoy it while it lasts.

Right now we have the 21st ranked schedule according to the RPI, and we're 6-2 with wins over Richmond (#19 RPI, expected to challenge for the A-10), Wake Forest (#60 RPI), and VCU (#47 RPI). Our only losses are to #7 RPI UConn and #81 RPI Harvard (who is actually quite good this year).

Quote:
Old 12-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #461
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NCAA, TV talk about bigger men’s tourney
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlespo...ves/187487.asp

The NCAA is looking to move the tournament entirely to cable. And to expand the field to 96 teams.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-08-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #462
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm honestly not sure what to think of the expansion idea. I don't think the current system is broke aside from a few selections and seedings. If the NCAA really wants to make more money and fix a broken system you would think they'd first look at college football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Good idea? NCAA eyes expanding tourney to 96 teams

The NCAA is looking to move the tournament entirely to cable. And to expand the field to 96 teams.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #463
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

From reading the media trade pub version of this potential story earlier today I didn't get the impression that the NCAA is looking to move to cable so much as cable is considering throwing so much money at them to do so that it would be nearly impossible to turn down.

Considering that ESPN paid roughly 25% more than the broadcast networks were willing to pay ($500m vs $400m reportedly) in order to secure the BCS starting in January 2011, the amount they might pay for an expanded March Madness could be staggering. With an expanded tournament, I'm thinking basketball rights probably go for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 billion dollars (vs the current $6b deal CBS has).
Old 12-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #464
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I'm honestly not sure what to think of the expansion idea. I don't think the current system is broke aside from a few selections and seedings. If the NCAA really wants to make more money and fix a broken system you would think they'd first look at college football.

x2

If it aint broke, don't fix it. March Madness is the single greatest sporting event in the cosmos.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #465
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like the idea. I don't like the idea of 96 teams, because I don't like 1st round byes, but...in general, I'd be fine with 68 or just 128 teams sans the byes. Crazy, but..what the heck.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #466
rjolley
College Starter

I hope they stay at 65 teams. There's really no need to expand the tourney.

And if they want to fix something, they should either revert to the old system for college football or have a playoff like the lower levels do.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #467
hoopsguy
General Manager

Nice win for the Illini tonight at home against Vandy. It helps to shoot nearly 60%, but the defense on their big man (Ogilvy) was awfully good outside of a four minute stretch at the end of the first half.

Hopefully that win against KenPom #19 Vanderbilt helps prepare for KenPom #10 Missouri
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #468
RainMaker
General Manager

I really hope they don't expand the tournament. You'd have 8 or 9 teams from some conferences in the tournament.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #469
LloydLungs
College Prospect

College basketball expanded to a 64-team tourney when there were around 270 D-1 teams. Now, it's 65 for roughly 340 D-1 teams. I think, proportionally, a move to around 68-72, with several low-major types playing each other on Tuesday, would be reasonable. 96 is overkill and risks killing off whatever meaning the regular season has (it is meaningful now but it's straddling the line).
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #470
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
96 is overkill and risks killing off whatever meaning the regular season has (it is meaningful now but it's straddling the line).

This.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #471
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Nice win for the Illini tonight at home against Vandy. It helps to shoot nearly 60%, but the defense on their big man (Ogilvy) was awfully good outside of a four minute stretch at the end of the first half.

Hopefully that win against KenPom #19 Vanderbilt helps prepare for KenPom #10 Missouri

It's amazing how prevelant the home court advantage is in college basketball. Mizzou played Vandy down to the wire in Nashville. If that game is in Columbia, Mizzou probably wins it.

I noticed that Vandy shot 63% from the line as well. Wish they would have done that against MU rather than the 83% from the line that they posted against Mizzou.

As much as MU needs a win in St. Louis, I am glad that Illinois is playing better. It's a lot more fun when both teams play well.

Mizzou's got a good test on the road tonight at Oral Roberts. That bandbox gets awfully noisy.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-09-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #472
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Mizzou's got a good test on the road tonight at Oral Roberts. That bandbox gets awfully noisy.

How in the world did ORU get that game. That's the kind of game Big 6 teams NEVER take.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #473
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
How in the world did ORU get that game. That's the kind of game Big 6 teams NEVER take.

Coach Anderson has had some issues trying to get teams to only come to Mizzou Arena. No one wants to come play in an arena where the current coach is undefeated since arriving at the university in non-conference home games. The good part about taking a tough home-and-home against a team like ORU is that you get more 'name' teams on the home non-conference schedule, which is important to boost ticket sales.

The other note is that Coach Anderson's wife has family in Tulsa and, of course, Coach Richardson was Mike Anderson's coach at the University of Tulsa. So there are a lot of historic connections in place for the staff. I have no doubt that Coach Richardson will be in attendance for that road game. He comes to most of the MU home games as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #474
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Coach Anderson has had some issues trying to get teams to only come to Mizzou Arena. No one wants to come play in an arena where the current coach is undefeated since arriving at the university in non-conference home games.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #475
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Coach Anderson has had some issues trying to get teams to only come to Mizzou Arena. No one wants to come play in an arena where the current coach is undefeated since arriving at the university in non-conference home games.

You don't honestly think that lower level teams are more scared to play Missouri than Duke, North Carolina and Kansas, Michigan St. do you?

No, these teams don't want to only play @ the big boys, but they (including ORU) do it for money.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #476
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
You don't honestly think that lower level teams are more scared to play Missouri than Duke, North Carolina and Kansas, Michigan St. do you?

No, these teams don't want to only play @ the big boys, but they (including ORU) do it for money.

The money comes into play when a team is asked to play a 2-for-1 or 2-for-0. Oral Roberts is geting a 1-for-1 deal, so there's a pretty small amount of money involved compared to if it were an unbalanced deal. I think MU will likely do some more of these with mid-major programs going forward because it's a good experience for the players.

We can get the small teams to come in for money without an issue. Coach Anderson would like to play more mid-major or Big 6 teams if possible, but most don't want to do a 1-for-1.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-09-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #477
endemicFOF
n00b

Watched Illinois-Vandy last night on the B10 Network...both teams should be playing in the NCAA Tourney come March barring injury, imo. It's still very early, but Illinois' freshman guards are excellent(Richardson and Paul?)
endemicFOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #478
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by endemicFOF View Post
It's still very early, but Illinois' freshman guards are excellent(Richardson and Paul?)

I can't wait to see those two guys go up against Mizzou's veteran defenders (Tiller and Taylor). That's going to be a fantastic matchup to watch.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #479
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I can tell you right now that every mid-major team around the country would love to do a 1 for 1 against a big conference opponent such as Missouri. When Mark Turgeon was at Wichita State he was begging for major conference teams to do a 1 for 1. Most of the offers they received were 2 for 1. So if Missouri is really interested in doing 1 for 1 deals with the mid majors then they won't have a problem finding opponents.

Quote:
We can get the small teams to come in for money without an issue. Coach Anderson would like to play more mid-major or Big 6 teams if possible, but most don't want to do a 1-for-1.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #480
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:

The only thing I would really like to see, is if a network like ESPN picked up the tournament, more of the games would be shown on TV, instead of regional.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #481
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
The money comes into play when a team is asked to play a 2-for-1 or 2-for-0. Oral Roberts is geting a 1-for-1 deal, so there's a pretty small amount of money involved compared to if it were an unbalanced deal. I think MU will likely do some more of these with mid-major programs going forward because it's a good experience for the players.

I hope you don't pay for your insider information.

Seriously
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #482
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dear MBBF,

Get the fuck over yourself, seriously.

Signed,

The members of FOFC
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #483
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dear MBBF,

Signed,

The members of FOFC
Co-signed
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #484
MJ4H
Coordinator

This UConn - Kentucky game on ESPN right now is awesome.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #485
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
This UConn - Kentucky game on ESPN right now is awesome.

There has to be a lull at some point. Tremendous pace in the game so far.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #486
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Dear MBBF,

Signed,

The members of FOFC

Not sure why you feel you're contributing to any useful discussion with personal attacks. If you disagree with something I've said, put forth a counter argument. This tactic achieves very little and doesn't reflect well on you.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #487
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really tough loss for Mizzou at ORU. As some have pointed out, games like this are a nightmare on the road. Mizzou lost it at the end when they failed to knock down their free throws. Mizzou's only tough game left in the non-conference is Illinois. The loss tonight makes that game important. If Mizzou loses to Illinois, they'll need a 10-6 record in conference to have a safe spot in the Big Dance. A win over Illinois makes a 9-7 record in conference play the likely target.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-09-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #488
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Missouri has got some big problems given they have three losses with a relatively weak non-conference schedule. They are going to need some wins over quality teams if they hope to break the bubble. Tonight's loss is a bit of a shocker. Even more of a shocker is that Oral Roberts out-rebounded the Tigers by 8. I think it's safe to say that the Tigers are missing Carol and Lyons.

Quote:
Really tough loss for Mizzou at ORU. As some have pointed out, games like this are a nightmare on the road. Mizzou lost it at the end when they failed to knock down their free throws. Mizzou's only tough game left in the non-conference is Illinois. The loss tonight makes that game important. If Mizzou loses to Illinois, they'll need a 10-6 record in conference to have a safe spot in the Big Dance. A win over Illinois makes a 9-7 record in conference play the likely target.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #489
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Missouri has got some big problems given they have three losses with a relatively weak non-conference schedule. They are going to need some wins over quality teams if they hope to break the bubble. Tonight's loss is a bit of a shocker. Even more of a shocker is that Oral Roberts out-rebounded the Tigers by 8. I think it's safe to say that the Tigers are missing Carol and Lyons.

Schedule isn't that weak. If they can win against Illinois, they'll have two top 50 wins to their credit against an average strength non-conference. If they don't beat Illinois, they'll be in a position where they need to win 10 conference games.

Rebounding margin to this point is better than it was last year with Lyons and Carroll. The rebounding/turnover ratio that is used to determine offensive efficiency with Mizzou is much different than most teams. With the large number of turnovers regularly created by Mizzou's system, they have far less chances for defensive rebounds than most teams. The comparison used for Mizzou usually is to combine rebounding margin with turnover margin. If the turnover margin exceeds the shortage of rebounds that we often have, then Mizzou is in a good spot. If not, then it's bad news.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #490
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Not sure why you feel you're contributing to any useful discussion with personal attacks. If you disagree with something I've said, put forth a counter argument. This tactic achieves very little and doesn't reflect well on you.

Not sure how you feel you are contributing with your incessant posts about the elite status of Mizzou's program. This tactic achieves very little and doesn't reflect well on you at all.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #491
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Two top 50 wins would be nice if you weren't dropping games to lesser rated teams as well. Missouri's SOS is already pretty low and as you said Illinois is their only non-conference game left that could improve it. Missouri does not want to do what KSU did a few years ago. Go 9-7 and then not get an invite because their resume didn't include enough quality wins. If Missouri goes 9-7 then they are going to have to beat one of the top teams in the Big 12 if they want to get a serious look.

Actually it looks like your rebounding margin is less this year than last. Last year it was -.5 while this year it's -1.6 though I'm not certain it includes tonight's game or not. I understand your formula, but even with that formula you're closer to even which is still not what you're looking for against an under-manned squad like Oral Roberts. I think we can all agree that something is strange with the Tigers this year.

Quote:
Schedule isn't that weak. If they can win against Illinois, they'll have two top 50 wins to their credit against an average strength non-conference. If they don't beat Illinois, they'll be in a position where they need to win 10 conference games.

Rebounding margin to this point is better than it was last year with Lyons and Carroll. The rebounding/turnover ratio that is used to determine offensive efficiency with Mizzou is much different than most teams. With the large number of turnovers regularly created by Mizzou's system, they have far less chances for defensive rebounds than most teams. The comparison used for Mizzou usually is to combine rebounding margin with turnover margin. If the turnover margin exceeds the shortage of rebounds that we often have, then Mizzou is in a good spot. If not, then it's bad news.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #492
rjolley
College Starter

Good end to the Kentucky-UConn game. 63-61 UK. UConn with the ball. 26.6 left.

On ESPN.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #493
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Not sure how you feel you are contributing with your incessant posts about the elite status of Mizzou's program. This tactic achieves very little and doesn't reflect well on you at all.

That's fine. If you'd rather not discuss basketball, continue on. I certainly haven't ever said Mizzou is an elite program. Though it is amusing to see a Texas fan lecturing me on how to support a team. Judging from the half empty arena that the Texas program draws for it's top 5 ranked team, I'd be surprised if most Longhorn fans even knew that they had a basketball program. It's a damn shame that Rick Barnes has to beg people to come support his team.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-09-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #494
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I understand your formula, but even with that formula you're closer to even which is still not what you're looking for against an under-manned squad like Oral Roberts. I think we can all agree that something is strange with the Tigers this year.

We had a shot bounce the wrong way in this ORU game and the Richmond game. Most fans understand that happens and you can't get too worked up over it. You just tip your hat and move on. It shouldn't be that surprising that Mizzou is struggling on the road and blowing people out at home. That's been the MO under Coach Anderson. There's very little strange about it.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #495
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Texas averaged nearly 4,000 more fans per game last season than the Tigers. I wouldn't be talking attendance smack with a school that had better attendance than your own.

Quote:
That's fine. If you'd rather not discuss basketball, continue on. I certainly haven't ever said Mizzou is an elite program. Though it is amusing to see a Texas fan lecturing me on how to support a team. Judging from the half empty arena that the Texas program draws for it's top 5 ranked team, I'd be surprised if most Longhorn fans even knew that they had a basketball program. It's a damn shame that Rick Barnes has to beg people to come support his team.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #496
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I don't think it's Anderson's MO to "blow people out at home". Last season was the first season where Anderson finished better than .500 at home in conference play. I'm not saying Anderson hasn't blown some struggling teams out at home, but let's not make blanket statements that are simply not true.

As for not getting too worked up over it I just wish you'd take your own advice on wins, lol.

Quote:
We had a shot bounce the wrong way in this ORU game and the Richmond game. Most fans understand that happens and you can't get too worked up over it. You just tip your hat and move on. It shouldn't be that surprising that Mizzou is struggling on the road and blowing people out at home. That's been the MO under Coach Anderson. There's very little strange about it.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #497
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

This is why we don't take you serious.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #498
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I don't think it's Anderson's MO to "blow people out at home". Last season was the first season where Anderson finished better than .500 at home in conference play. I'm not saying Anderson hasn't blown some struggling teams out at home, but let's not make blanket statements that are simply not true.

As for not getting too worked up over it I just wish you'd take your own advice on wins, lol.

lol
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #499
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
If Mizzou doesn't finish in the top half of the conference, it will be a big setback. Mizzou is likely to finish the non-conference season at 12-3. Mizzou should be a top 4-5 team in conference at a minimum and should have at least 21-22 wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan

I just don't see how this works. "top 4-5 *at minimum*" in the Big 12 with "at least 21-22 wins" but struggling to beat Oral Roberts on the road? Just simply not reasonable to hold both of these opinions. If you truly expect your team to be able to be in the top 1/3 of a major conference(one that contains Kansas and Texas) and to breeze to at least 21 wins and you seem to think more is possible, then losing to Oral Roberts in any arena is a letdown of epic proportions.

They've got Illinois left in the non-conference schedule, quite possibly the only non-conference opponent they have left who will be in the top 150 in the RPI when the season is said and done, and that is getting pretty close to a must win when you consider that you've got 9 non-conference teams on your schedule who may not even be in the top 200(many have no chance at breaking 300 in the RPI), and you just lost to one of them.

Oregon has already lost to Portland and Montana, I wouldn't hold my breath that they're going to come around to be a quality win at any point in the season. Once conference play rolls around get ready for road games against 8 teams who are all better than the team Missouri lost to tonight.

Simply put, this loss is ok for a middling major conference team who is building up still and hopes to make it to the tournament next year, but this year hopes to win 15 games or so and learn a lot. If you're rooting for a major conference team that you expect to get an at-large NCAA tournament bid, you'd best hope this was an aberrant letdown, and not "normal struggles on the road". Can't have it both ways.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #500
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So John Wall's going to be the #1 pick, probably deserves to be, and he can't make (or won't shoot) a simple left-handed layup. Who needs fundamentals when you can average 5 steals a game?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote