Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #51
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

McIntosh got drafted back in '73 I think. So he's not a newbie by any stretch.

Thanks for the research, muns.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-07-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #52
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
McIntosh got drafted back in '73 I think. So he's not a newbie by any stretch.

Thanks for the research, muns.

It doesnt have anything to do with him being drafted and being around for a while. It deals with him being a minor league FA and him not ever making a MLB ball club.

Last edited by muns : 10-07-2008 at 04:46 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #53
magic_number
Mascot

X-up

Good luck w/FA.
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
It doesnt have anything to do with him being drafted and being around for a while. It deals with him being a minor league FA and him not ever making a MLB ball club.

That's all I meant, sorry. That he's so old that he's not just a 2nd or 3rd year player, that he's much older than that...

But anyway.. carry on
Old 10-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #55
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's all I meant, sorry. That he's so old that he's not just a 2nd or 3rd year player, that he's much older than that...

But anyway.. carry on

AHHH ok I get what your saying now, my bad. I just didnt want their to be confusion about the draft and the numbers having to be rolled back as that was a question earlier on in this thread.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #56
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

I think I'm catching on to how this works now...thanks muns.

So when you signed Baker for $10mil....if he had played in the majors that year, he would of got paid 10mil per season until arbitration?
But because he was left in the minors in the 1st year, did he get an automatic minimum wage renewal?

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 10-07-2008 at 05:01 PM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #57
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I think I'm catching on to how this works now...thanks muns.

So when you signed Baker for $10mil....if he had played in the majors that year, he would of got paid 10mil per season until arbitration?
But because he was left in the minors in the 1st year, did he get an automatic minimum wage renewal?

Yes If I would have stuck him in the majors that year he would have had a 10 mil salary until arb. Because he got left in the minors he got paid 10 mil that year, and the following season he automatically went to a minor league deal which was no money at all.

When I was ready to move him up I signed him to a normal mlb contract instead of him getting 190k or whatever it was, because I wanted to lock him up to a cheaper deal rather than letting him hit arb and having him give me a pounding...

Thats messed up in game too and not reflected in the games history as I signed him to like a 3 year deal at like 1.5 a season.

Last edited by muns : 10-07-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #58
muns
Pro Starter

Another example on my team. 1b-Gabe Mata who I just dealt to Rio. I signed him to a 1 year deal at 870 K 3 seasons ago. I left him on my team for 3 years and his contract rolled over at 870K. He hit arb this year is is making 3.1 which was too expensive for me, so I had to deal him. But for his first 3 years his salary was 870 K and it did not change at all.

Last edited by muns : 10-07-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #59
muns
Pro Starter

ive exported
Old 10-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #60
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I've also exported.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #61
kaosfere
College Prospect

I didn't expect to agonize over the FA pool as much as I did tonight.

Exported, and fingers crossed.
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
But are they some of those "messed up" players that had odd service year entries because of some draft manipulation a few years back? I know we had a few years of draft picks ending up as minor league free agents the following year when they shouldn't be. On the salary report screen, does it show them as arbitration eligible even though it is only their 2nd/3rd seasons?

Why would someone have a 17.5 million option on a third year player? They shouldn't even be in arbitration yet.

I made the offer to sign Gonzalez when he became a minor league free agent last year. $8.75 M Year One, $17.5 M team option Year Two.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But are they some of those "messed up" players that had odd service year entries because of some draft manipulation a few years back? I know we had a few years of draft picks ending up as minor league free agents the following year when they shouldn't be. On the salary report screen, does it show them as arbitration eligible even though it is only their 2nd/3rd seasons?

Why would someone have a 17.5 million option on a third year player? They shouldn't even be in arbitration yet.

Oh, and to answer your other question, no, no funny business in their player cards. They don't seem to have had service time issues, at least from what I can tell.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The New York Panthers have arrived.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #65
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

The problem with Gonzalez is he is automatic renewal so it appears as if he will make $190,000 but he will make $8.5 million unless he gets a smaller contract.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #66
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Does anyone know if patches are backward compatible. My other league is changing to 9.2.2 already...if I change to that version, will I still be able to d/l this league file? I know it doesnt work the other way...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you voided a team option, he ought to be a free agent. I don't know how he'd go from a voided team option to a min sal contract. And their service time counts from the time they're drafted, not from the time they reach the majors. It's pro service time that turns on the clock to when they become FAs. If they've signed major league deals from the outset, the arbitration years don't matter, they just keep rolling over their initial rookie contract. muns ran into this back in the day when he'd offer rookies $10m for one year to sign, expecting their deals to revert to min sal deals, only to find out that they don't automatically do that.

I don't think either of those guys are rookies in the sense of pro service years. All it takes is 5 pro service years to become a minor league free agent if your contract doesn't free you up sooner. So I dunno if these are errors, they're certainly not draft issue errors, as those problems should be done, since it's been years since any "young, but with some experience" players were entered into the draft pool and those were the culprits of the service time issues (the game's fault..)

I'll have to get the HTML updated tonight, too.

These guys already were minor league free agents. That's how I signed them. They are now major league players. From draft starts the minor league free agent time, but the major league time starts from when you play in your first major league game, which for McIntosh was two years ago, and Gonzalez last year.

They didn't go to free agency following the option because they don't have enough major league service time to go to free agency (they don't even have enough to go to arbitration).

Old 10-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #68
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Does anyone know if patches are backward compatible. My other league is changing to 9.2.2 already...if I change to that version, will I still be able to d/l this league file? I know it doesnt work the other way...

I read on the OOTP boards from Markus that they are compatible and you should not need to change EXE files.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #69
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:

The New York Panthers have arrived.

Nice.

You using that generic jersey template?
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #70
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chief in looking at the game I do know whats going on with Mcintosh. You signed him to a 1 year 1,658,400. So what happens when he doesnt have any MLB experience is (when you stick him directly on your MLB roster) his contract rolls over at that salary until he hits his arb years. If you put him in AAA that 1 year deal is just like a bonus. He would have got paid that 1.65 deal that season, and the following year it turns into a minor league deal and if you bring him up to the MLB team he would make 190k.

Im also going to assume this is the case for Gonzalez. He has only been on a MLB team once and it was this year. The history is messed up for him so I cant tell for sure as id really like to see when you signed him and what value it was for, but it seems to follow the same principal as Mcintosh and all the other guys I have done this with. I know this happened with Mcintosh as I bid on him a few years ago and he ended up with you.

Also, If you signed him for a 1 year deal for 8 point whatever mil, and then had an option of 17 mil and you voided, I can easily see how OOTP would just roll back over the 8 point whatever mil as that was his salary.

Just in case and to head off any potential problems, I posted this back on the main board a while ago so it was public knowledge...

I have no problem if that's the case. What annoys me is that in the salary report before the season turned over, it said he was going to get the min sal, and so would McIntosh. I might have made different decisions if I wasn't getting dicked around by the sal report.

And, BTW, I signed McIntosh to a three year deal, last year team option, FWIW. Not sure where you're seeing the one year. I signed Gonzalez last offseason for a two year deal, with the second at a team option.

Also, incidentally, I agree with ekcut that if we choose to remove this type of contract, I would support that. I thought the option was common knowledge. Heck, I have even espoused its usage on a number of occasions to anyone who would listen.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #71
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I have no problem if that's the case. What annoys me is that in the salary report before the season turned over, it said he was going to get the min sal, and so would McIntosh. I might have made different decisions if I wasn't getting dicked around by the sal report.

Also, incidentally, I agree with ekcut that if we choose to remove this type of contract, I would support that. I thought the option was common knowledge. Heck, I have even espoused its usage on a number of occasions to anyone who would listen.

I agree, the salary report should be redone because it just assumes automatic renewals are min salary.

I have also stated the team option item as well so it was not something no-one knew about.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #72
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I thought the option was common knowledge. Heck, I have even espoused its usage on a number of occasions to anyone who would listen.

You and me both.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #73
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The option has been meaningless in this league up until now because of the amount of extra cash lying around. At the time that a team option comes up for decision, is the same exact time that you could just cut a player to hit the books on the previous year instead of the next year. And since a fully committed year is weighed heavier in a player's desirability than a team option, it didn't have as big of a usage as just outright offering them that year in full. End scenerio has always been that you could just flat out cut them if you didn't feel they were worth the amount for the next season. (Just like a team option basically).

With the restructured income figures, options likely will be more utilized I am pretty sure. I think you all are overstating the usage of options prior to now is all because our league's finances made them somewhat obsolete.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #74
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I agree, the salary report should be redone because it just assumes automatic renewals are min salary.

I have also stated the team option item as well so it was not something no-one knew about.

ok im not getting something. Whats the issue with the team option??? The fact that it can be outrageous???
Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #75
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
ok im not getting something. Whats the issue with the team option??? The fact that it can be outrageous???

From what I was getting is that some were unaware the voiding an option does not place the player on the FA list right away. This allows teams to void the option and then have exclusive rights to renegotiate the contract one sim before they become FAs.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #76
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From what I was getting is that some were unaware the voiding an option does not place the player on the FA list right away. This allows teams to void the option and then have exclusive rights to renegotiate the contract one sim before they become FAs.

Out of curiosity, how many people have successfully done that versus unsuccessfully done it? The timeframe during that sim is such a small window, that I am usually less than 50% at getting a player to resign there even when meeting their demands and going slightly over a bit to be sure. Often they are still "considering" it when free agency hits and they get dumped into the pool and my offer dissappears.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Well...now they know.

It's not that hard. There is a FA filing date and before that date, you're still under contract, because the option is for the following season, not the current one.

No way I want to be in the business of policing only but the most outrageous contracts. Meh.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #78
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

lol I use the team option all the time, but 99.9% I accept them, so I had no idea that was going on....
Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #79
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many people have successfully done that versus unsuccessfully done it? The timeframe during that sim is such a small window, that I am usually less than 50% at getting a player to resign there even when meeting their demands and going slightly over a bit to be sure. Often they are still "considering" it when free agency hits and they get dumped into the pool and my offer dissappears.

I only void options to let a guy go. I don't see the point in offering a player option as a leveraging tool. I only do it to make sure that if the guy flames out, I can let him go a year early and pay nothing. Or get an extra year out of a good guy at a certain rate. Otherwise? I don't use it.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #80
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

So far every time I have done this I have been successful.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #81
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well...now they know.

It's not that hard. There is a FA filing date and before that date, you're still under contract, because the option is for the following season, not the current one.

No way I want to be in the business of policing only but the most outrageous contracts. Meh.

I dont think that you should have to. I think that we can just make a rule that says thats not allowed, and apply that to our existing rule about cutting a guy and then having to wait 1 full sim in order to offer him another contract. That should just be an extension of that rule.

No one has to sit there and look over everyones roster, and its "honesty is the policy" however we do have enough guys that look through crap when they are bored at work or whatever, and if someone does get caught doing that, they should get a pretty good whack.....
Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #82
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So far every time I have done this I have been successful.

Ditto. I offer options all the time. Like DC, I usually only exercise an option to let a guy go. But Gonzales was the rare exception for me, where I actually planned to void the deal.

Probably one out of every four, I pick up the option. Most of the rest, I need the cap space more.

As for resigning them, I don't generally do that unless I need to for salcap reasons, but I have done it. And actually, they usually reign with me. Alan, you gotta give 'em some more lovin'.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, as I said, I don't usually void the last year, except to let him go, but I am having trouble seeing why it's a big deal if someone voids the last year to try to resign the guy at a better rate. As Alan said, it's not a move without risk.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #84
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't think there needs to be a rule against player options and trying to resign a guy. I just don't think it's realistic or makes a whole lot of sense. If an option is voided, the team ought to get a chance to resign the guy. He's still theirs until the FA filing date.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #85
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Anyway, 10 minutes to export. Should be an interesting FA period for sure.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #86
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
... Should be an interesting FA period for sure.

Indeed, hopefully I can land another Reyes this year.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #87
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, as I said, I don't usually void the last year, except to let him go, but I am having trouble seeing why it's a big deal if someone voids the last year to try to resign the guy at a better rate. As Alan said, it's not a move without risk.

My only issue is with the non UFA options (the Gonzales situation)...there is no risk in not picking up their options as they automatically get a sweeeeet contract...the option year is strictly a tool to get the player to accept your FA offer...

Really though, I am splitting hairs...offering cheaper contracts is ok, but getting a minor league deal is not...it's only a small difference.
So it's a non issue for me, I think i am more just peeved that I was pretty much the only one not aware of this...thinking back on all the young UFA's that I've chased and not got, I wonder now if any of those were offered outrageous options that had no chance of being picked up.

Is the file up yet???

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #88
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
...the option year is strictly a tool to get the player to accept your FA offer...

To be fair I have offered some contracts with options that have been turned down for contracts the same length without options. So there is some risk involved also in that aspect.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #89
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
To be fair I have offered some contracts with options that have been turned down for contracts the same length without options. So there is some risk involved also in that aspect.

True...and we've also seen players sign for far less then they were offered elsewhere...
It far from guarentees anything, but it has to increase the odds

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #90
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Okay, it's game time people.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #91
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gonna process the trade after exports download. Remember I'm using telegraph as my internet of choice, so..stuff is slow.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #92
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Everyone exported but Long Island and Colorado. Processing the trade.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #93
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Everyone exported but Long Island and Colorado. Processing the trade.

I exported again a couple of minute ago. Did you get my newest export?
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #94
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just so everyone knows, if you're interested in exploring my pitching offer or go after Vazquez, now is the time to contact me.

My night time job has started scheduling me regularly on Mondays and Wednesdays again, which means I am essentially unavailable those nights. If we don't get something done tonight, we might not get a chance until just before the trade deadline Thursday.

So contact me now if you're interested.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #95
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Gonna process the trade after exports download. Remember I'm using telegraph as my internet of choice, so..stuff is slow.

Nice to see you getting with the times....the carrier pidgeon internet was a nuisence!!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #96
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, trade is done. It's free agent time. Good luck everyone.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #97
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Monday, October 23rd, 1978
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B H. Pleiter to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $945,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 1B R. Silva to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed RF B. Smith to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed CF R. Norman to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B S. Johnston to a minor league contract extension.
San Diego Fathers: Signed MR J. Pérez to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $8,930,000.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #98
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tuesday, October 24th, 1978
Baltimore Gothams: Signed SS W. Pearce to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $765,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed SS C. Hernández to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B B. Short to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $510,000.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #99
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Thursday, October 26th, 1978
Hartford Harpooners: Signed CF R. Miner to a minor league contract extension.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed CF C. Vázquez to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $4,460,000.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed LF L. Pierce to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $2,370,000.
Wednesday, October 25th, 1978
Baltimore Gothams: Signed SP M. Brown to a 5-year contract extension worth a total of $20,750,000.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed CF S. Hairston to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $550,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed C J. King to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed C I. Toledo to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $510,000.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #100
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Friday, October 27th, 1978
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 3B B. Reid to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $510,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B C. Watkins to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $2,730,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed SS I. Cisneros to a minor league contract extension.
Compton Brothers: Signed SS M. Cole to a 4-year contract extension worth a total of $12,700,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed SS R. Sánchez to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $2,070,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed C A. Ortega to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B G. Warren to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed MR N. Ouellet to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed C K. Bradsher to a minor league contract extension.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed 3B B. Guzmán to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $1,000,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed RF G. Turner to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed LF S. Harmon to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 2B C. Morgan to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $765,000.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed 1B S. McIndoe to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $510,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed CL D. Hennessey to a 3-year contract extension worth a total of $16,700,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed 3B G. Rodríguez to a minor league contract extension.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed MR S. Halpin to a 1-year contract extension worth a total of $255,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed C D. Johnson to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $2,450,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed C D. Long to a 2-year contract extension worth a total of $2,950,000.