Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2023, 07:21 AM   #3101
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Or, you know, we could just make it harder, not easier, to get guns. I mean, things are going so well in Texas.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:23 AM   #3102
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Someone's clearly gunning for Tucker's old spot

SI

that's what heathers do
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 03:00 PM   #3103
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This reminds me of the NextDoor app during Halloween. Bunch of weirdos threatening to point guns at trick or treaters if they ring their bell.

He lost his membership in the National Weather Association and I hope his job:

https://twitter.com/nwas/status/1653785408717697026

Old 05-03-2023, 03:32 PM   #3104
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd say an order of protection around local elementary schools might not be bad either.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:43 PM   #3105
Edward64
Head Coach

US contagion spreading to Serbia. Mass killings on consecutive days.

Dubona: At least eight dead as Serbia rocked by second mass shooting in two days | CNN
Quote:
At least eight people have been killed and 13 wounded in a shooting in the Serbian village of Dubona, the country’s Interior Ministry spokesperson told CNN.

The shooter remains at large, and a warrant has been issued for a 21-year-old male suspect. The police have cordoned off the area where they suspected him to be hiding, according CNN affiliate channel N1.
Quote:
This comes a day after the Balkan country was rocked by news of a 13-year-old boy opening fire on classmates at a school in the capital Belgrade. That shooting left at least eight children dead, along with a security guard.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 09:12 PM   #3106
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If it's other law abiding people with guns, no.

From criminal elements, yes.

From criminal elements with guns, yes.

EDIT: from Cocaine Bears, definitely yes.

Gottcha.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-04-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:38 AM   #3107
QuikSand
lolzcat

This is likely to become a bad turn for US gun politics... of the "see, this is what they really want" variety.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:32 PM   #3108
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m sure there will be a lot of false flag but jobs.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:33 PM   #3109
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, pretty much not like the United States, then.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:42 PM   #3110
HerRealName
College Prospect

Active shooting situation with multiple victims at the Allen Outlet Mall in Allen, TX. We were there yesterday. Can't wait until we can leave this fucking hellhole of a state.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:10 PM   #3111
RainMaker
General Manager

There are some graphic videos floating around social media. Dead kids. People should see them.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:23 PM   #3112
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #3113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
There are some graphic videos floating around social media. Dead kids. People should see them.

I saw a still. Looked like a bunch of dead people, kids included, who were maybe hiding. Horrible.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:28 PM   #3114
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Active shooting situation with multiple victims at the Allen Outlet Mall in Allen, TX. We were there yesterday. Can't wait until we can leave this fucking hellhole of a state.

When we visit my parents in Richardson, we would always go there. This sucks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:14 PM   #3115
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

My wife worked there in high school. Crazy.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:56 PM   #3116
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Representative Keith Self, who represents Allen, Texas, said on CNN that critics who are calling for more than “thoughts and prayers” after Saturday’s shooting “don’t believe in almighty God, who is absolutely in control of our lives” and instead said the country’s lack of “mental health institutions” is to blame.

“Really I would like to stay away from the politics today because I want to focus on the victims, today we should be focused on the families,” he said. “Prayers are important and they are important in the families that are devastated right now.”
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 10:04 PM   #3117
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Representative Keith Self, who represents Allen, Texas, said on CNN that critics who are calling for more than “thoughts and prayers” after Saturday’s shooting “don’t believe in almighty God, who is absolutely in control of our lives” and instead said the country’s lack of “mental health institutions” is to blame.

“Really I would like to stay away from the politics today because I want to focus on the victims, today we should be focused on the families,” he said. “Prayers are important and they are important in the families that are devastated right now.”

The right's thing after recent shootings has been to complain about mental health issues in the country while simultaneously doing nothing about it because they know it's more than that.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:35 PM   #3118
cuervo72
Head Coach

So am I right that his take then is pretty much "God is ok with these shootings"?
Old 05-06-2023, 10:49 PM   #3119
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We're talking about a GOP rep from Texas - if anything, he should be in a mental institution.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 10:52 PM   #3120
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
So am I right that his take then is pretty much "God is ok with these shootings"?

Yep, because it's god's will and they're going to better place.

It's becoming like the creepy people that pray for the rapture because they believe the afterlife is better than life here.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:56 PM   #3121
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
We're talking about a GOP rep from Texas - if anything, he should be in a mental institution.

As I said, my wife worked at this mall in HS and her family still lives not far from it. They're also the stereotypical gun loving, fox news watching right wingers.

When my wife told me of the shooting I told her, lets see how they blame the darkies for this and lets see how long it takes for someone to blame mental health without mentioning guns. That was less than an hour before the post above where their rep mentioned mental health. Right before that her mom called and said they heard from people around there that it was a black guy that got out of his vehicle and yell "kill all the white people". That means her step dad read it on facebook, of course, but they're not going to admit that.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:14 AM   #3122
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If the GOP were serious about funding mental health, I’d support that 100%. I just don’t think that they are serious.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:39 AM   #3123
Kodos
Resident Alien

It’s just another way to not blame the guns.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:24 AM   #3124
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If the GOP were serious about funding mental health, I’d support that 100%. I just don’t think that they are serious.

They could give two shits about it, because they would have to add it to background checks, then extend background checks to enforce it.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 11:46 AM   #3125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I had a tweet about the latest mass shooting that was replied to by Brian Krassenstein and his 700K followers and holy shit, the level of crazy is insanity.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:52 AM   #3126
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Who's Brian Krassenstein?
Old 05-07-2023, 12:48 PM   #3127
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Who's Brian Krassenstein?

Who knows, some twitter political guy.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:31 PM   #3128
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Who knows, some twitter political guy.

He does have a Wikipedia page so he must be important.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:41 PM   #3129
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It is crazy to remember how long Columbine was in the news.
Old 05-07-2023, 04:07 PM   #3130
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
As I said, my wife worked at this mall in HS and her family still lives not far from it. They're also the stereotypical gun loving, fox news watching right wingers.

When my wife told me of the shooting I told her, lets see how they blame the darkies for this and lets see how long it takes for someone to blame mental health without mentioning guns. That was less than an hour before the post above where their rep mentioned mental health. Right before that her mom called and said they heard from people around there that it was a black guy that got out of his vehicle and yell "kill all the white people". That means her step dad read it on facebook, of course, but they're not going to admit that.

Not that they'll ever believe this, but: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ooting-dallas/

Quote:
Authorities have not released a motive, but a patch on his chest said “RWDS,” an acronym that stands for Right Wing Death Squad, according to people familiar with the investigation. The phrase is popular among right wing extremists, neo-Nazis and white supremacists, they said.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:31 PM   #3131
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I've already been told he's an illegal gang member with gang tattoos and is part of a cartel and we need to close the border
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:10 PM   #3132
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Rorschach mass shooter

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:16 PM   #3133
RainMaker
General Manager

Sounds like a neo-nazi and an incel. Not terribly surprising. Guess the patch he wore was popular among the Proud Boys. Maybe their conviction for sedition was his breaking point.

Allen, TX Mass Shooter Posted Neo-Nazi Content, FBI Document Reveals – Rolling Stone
Old 05-07-2023, 07:20 PM   #3134
Ksyrup

My MIL and FIL were over for dinner (her birthday). He's probably an illegal, she says. Story comes on about the SUV who ran over 7 people in Brownsville. They should ban SUVs then, she says.

I just acted like I didn't hear anything.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-07-2023, 07:25 PM   #3135
Thomkal
Head Coach

oof Ksyrup
Old 05-07-2023, 07:39 PM   #3136
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

better man then I am. My MIL and I have had it out a few times to the point of my FIL telling her she needs to knock it off. He was a Trump supporter until the insurrection and see how he defense of him has ruined relationships.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:41 PM   #3137
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My MIL and FIL were over for dinner (her birthday). He's probably an illegal, she says. Story comes on about the SUV who ran over 7 people in Brownsville. They should ban SUVs then, she says.

The amount of times I have to hold my tongue around my in-laws... mainly because I'm only around them if my daughter is. There's a reason their son moved literally as far away as possible while still being in the contiguous US.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:53 PM   #3138
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I was hanging out with an old friend yesterday. His family lives down here while he and his wife live in Maryland. She refuses to come down to see them and deal with thier crazy politics. He says the worst is his sister. His lesbian ER doc sister is by far the most extreme. He says his wife just can't fathom the jump in logic she takes to defend people who would happily outlaw her existence not mention claim what she went through on the front lines of COVID was all fraud.
My friend that works in National Security told me how bad things got around 2020. He said people would want the TV's in his station on Fox News, and people would get pissed. Yet if they turned it on CNN other people get pissed. He finally made them turn it on BBC News. It was the only compromise that kept the peace.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:02 PM   #3139
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

People are really demented. I understand why you'd hold your tongue but also we're at a stage when these people are making up lies to defend a mass murderer.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:31 PM   #3140
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh no i missed a mass shooting. Why didn't someone page me
Old 05-07-2023, 09:35 PM   #3141
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
oh no i missed a mass shooting. Why didn't someone page me

Don't worry, it won't be long before the next one.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:17 PM   #3142
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I feel left out.
someone give me the deets and please do so in a performance art dance style
Old 05-08-2023, 07:37 AM   #3143
Ksyrup

Quote:
People are really demented. I understand why you'd hold your tongue but also we're at a stage when these people are making up lies to defend a mass murderer.

It's just reciting what they see on Fox News. I've talked about this with my wife - we go over to their house on a Saturday afternoon and they've got Fox on. Who the hell needs to be watching Fox News on a Saturday afternoon? Get a fucking life!

The rote comment about "banning SUVs" as if she's a spokesman for the NRA really gets me, and it's where you can see the damage that's been done. Neither of our sets of parents have ever fired a gun, let alone owned one, in their lives. My BIL is a Florida state trooper but that's as close to a gun as they've ever gotten. There's no logical reason to be doing the NRAs work except Fox News has drilled it into their heads. My parents are the same way. They live about 30 minutes from Allen. They could have been there. I could see my mom blaming and defending based on the Fox taking points even if my dad was laying dead in that mall.

For my own sanity, I just have to let it go. I have... thoughts about the whole thing, but they are probably more appropriate for the mental health thread.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-08-2023 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:33 AM   #3144
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Who the hell needs to be watching Fox News on a Saturday afternoon? Get a fucking life!

If we, as a culture, committed to giving more meaningful opportunities for engagement and community to the elderly/retired, we'd all be better off.

They'd have more fulfilled and meaningful lives.

And they'd have something to do other than watch TV or browse facebook and get angry/lonely.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:15 AM   #3145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If we, as a culture, committed to giving more meaningful opportunities for engagement and community to the elderly/retired, we'd all be better off.

They'd have more fulfilled and meaningful lives.

And they'd have something to do other than watch TV or browse facebook and get angry/lonely.

So true.

My in laws used to sit around eating junk food and watching Fox news. My MIL had a heart transplant several years earlier. She started having really bad check ups and they decided to get healthier. Both lost significant weight and with their new found health are far more active than they were which results in less FOX News binging. The difference is night and day with them now. They are so much happier.

It really is like a drug. There is something in there, likely the validation that it is ok to hate the people you hate because the TV tells you to, that keeps them coming back and for longer stretches.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:54 AM   #3146
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So true.

My in laws used to sit around eating junk food and watching Fox news. My MIL had a heart transplant several years earlier. She started having really bad check ups and they decided to get healthier. Both lost significant weight and with their new found health are far more active than they were which results in less FOX News binging. The difference is night and day with them now. They are so much happier.

It really is like a drug. There is something in there, likely the validation that it is ok to hate the people you hate because the TV tells you to, that keeps them coming back and for longer stretches.

Agreed.

My parents have been completely taken over by Fox News, my dad especially. He's always been conservative, but once he retired a while back it started with conservative radio - mainly Rush Limbaugh. He got big into that and then Fox News.

My folks watched so much Fox News that they ruined their OLEG 4K TV because an image of the Fox News banner was permanently burned into the screen. They eventually had to get a new TV and researched one where they wouldn't happen. They watch two things: Fox News & golf.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:01 AM   #3147
Ksyrup

Yep, Rush was the gateway for my parents.

Since I now have YTTV and can order/hide certain channels, I've given some thought to hiding Fox News and having them come to me asking about it on their TV in the basement. I've already dumped OAN but that's one of those that not every service has. Fox News would be a provocation if I did that.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:10 AM   #3148
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Agreed.

My parents have been completely taken over by Fox News, my dad especially. He's always been conservative, but once he retired a while back it started with conservative radio - mainly Rush Limbaugh. He got big into that and then Fox News.

My folks watched so much Fox News that they ruined their OLEG 4K TV because an image of the Fox News banner was permanently burned into the screen. They eventually had to get a new TV and researched one where they wouldn't happen. They watch two things: Fox News & golf.

Wow. Talk about a torturous house to visit…

Last edited by Kodos : 05-08-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:12 AM   #3149
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Wow. Talk about a tortuous house to visit…

This was my in laws. When we moved back to NJ we were waiting for our Oregon house to sell and buy a house here we stayed with them. For 13 months. It was horrible. Thankfully we had our own living space, but a shared kitchen. When you're exposed to it like that it's amazing how you pick up on all the scare tactics and precise wording they use.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:16 AM   #3150
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Since I now have YTTV and can order/hide certain channels, I've given some thought to hiding Fox News and having them come to me asking about it on their TV in the basement. I've already dumped OAN but that's one of those that not every service has. Fox News would be a provocation if I did that.

Congratulations on being the adult in the room

Your parents and in-laws would drive me crazy. They won't change. You won't change them. I'd just accept it and minimize any unnecessary contacts with them.

Out of curiosity, what's their take on the Dominion payout?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote