Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #401
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I begrudgingly agree. I don't love dynasties at all but have great appreciation for the greatness needed to build them. The last couple of years I have grown to really appreciate Belichick, his staff, the players, how they are developed and Brady especially. Seeing guys like Brady and Manning play has been pretty fortunate regardless of who we root for.

and in looking forward, I am anticipating a great Wentz-Goff rivalry for the next 10 years.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #402
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
And I get that, I do. I just disagree. I think part of the beauty in sports is the pain, is the sour. I watch the Steelers or Ravens win a SB and fucking hate it, but you watch so when you (hopefully) have a team that mirrors that success, it is that much sweeter, because of all of the bad times. It wouldn't feel right if I only watched sports when the teams I wanted to win got to play.

To each their own, sorry to upset you.

I've been watching for nearly 40 years now, and honestly, I've come to expect the worst. I think it's great that the Eagles will likely be going to the Super Bowl . But I've come to terms with the prospect that they may not ever win one. So I expect a loss in a couple weeks. If that doesn't occur...I guess I'll be pleasantly surprised and a bit relieved? If they do lose, I'll hopefully just be a little disappointed.

I would have gladly watched Jags-Vikings if that had happened. Because it is something NEW. A new matchup with a victor who had never before been a champion. I like new. I like upsets. I don't like seeing the same outcomes over and over again.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #403
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
That's the thing. I thought LAST year's win was already meaningless. We learned the Pats are really good, and have been forever? That's not news (Atlanta winning would have been). If they win again it's another year where I feel like you might have just not bothered with the season. We didn't learn anything new. You might as well have been watching a season of reruns.

I also don't think I'll reminisce twenty years from now and say, "man, you know what? I wish I would have seen MORE of the Patriots." I won't miss it, just like I don't miss the Niners of the 80s or the Cowboys of the 90s. With luck the NFL will still be around, and we'll have more great players and more great teams.

(My daughter just chimed in that "they need to nerf the Patriots." She's been playing Overwatch. But yeah, if you put it in video game terms - if I play against someone and keep losing, I'm not going to keep playing for very long, there's no point. Players may not feel that way, but I do as a spectator. It's part of the reason why I don't care about women's NCAA. Wow, UCONN won again? That is so new and exciting! Now, you might say "get better." I feel like at this point it's not a matter of teams needing to get better, it's just waiting for Brady and Belichick to get old. I'm ready for that.)

I get that too. When I was an avid NFL fan in the 1970s, i was rooting for anyone but the Raiders-Steelers-Cowboys-Vikings (to no avail). It was probably like how non-Yankees fans felt in the 1940s-1950s. But we were talking about recognizing greatness (as in lifetime greatness) regardless of rooting interest (Galiril said as much too). It’s not that you would look back 20 years from now hoping that it continued but that you would tell your grandkids that you got to see the Patriots dynasty, you got to see the Brady-Manning rivalry and that you got to see the genius of Bellichick.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #404
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't know that my grandkids will even care to ask. I know my kids haven't.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #405
Groundhog
Coordinator

Welp, not a fan of the Super Bowl matchup at all, but looking forward to a day off work to start drinking at 9am and eat "American style BBQ", before settling into bed at around 6pm, as is tradition.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #406
cuervo72
Head Coach

Cherry on the pie?
Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #407
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

So excited. The 9 game win streak started when my son was 2 days old. I remember being exhausted and watching the 61 yard FG and having to resist the urge to spike my son because I was so excited by that FG. I had no idea that would start a 9 game win streak and a magical season. Hoping the team can finish off with a Super Bowl win in his 1st year of life.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #408
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wish Wentz was getting a chance to play, but no matter, I'll be all in on the Eagles for the game. Not that any of you had any doubts otherwise.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #409
Thomkal
Head Coach

congrats to the Eagles fans. And I guess the Pats too
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #410
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Goats vs Dogs Super Bowl!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #411
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And the NFL wonders why its ratings are declining.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #412
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Does anyone even remember how awful the Pats defense was early in the season? I mean 6 weeks into the season they were trending for the worst defense in NFL history and 13 weeks later they are once again the Super Bowl favs. Another remarkable job by Belichick. And the 1 season turnaround from the Eagles is also impressive.

I think it will be closer than the 7.5 point spread. Ill be cheering for the Eagles to keep it close without really caring who actually wins.

The Vikings season ended badly but they had a nice season and their future is bright. I fell into the trap of thinking after the miracle last week and the Super Bowl being played in their home stadium that this was going to be the season. I should know better by now because once you get your hopes up they always do this. I should know better than to raise my expectation levels up where it actually hurts to lose.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #413
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's early but this is looking pretty awful for the Eagles already.

And Keenum has made a couple really pretty throws.

Clearly this was far too early to be making statements like this.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #414
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Clearly this was far too early to be making statements like this.

Keenums pic-6 changed the entire game. The Vikings could never recover and the Eagles just played flawless from that point on. The refs did a great job which I rarely say. They didnt show up to be the show. Gotta admire that.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-21-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 PM   #415
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait until the Super Bowl is in the new Los Angeles Stadium and the Chargers and the Rams are both in the title games of their respective conference in everyone's like excited cause of a home team in the Superbowl and then they both lose.

Okay so seriously I have a question, what happens if both the Jets and the Giants have home field advantage throughout the playoffs and host home playoff games for the conference title? I mean this is so unlikely to happen because the Jets suck eternally, but we've also got the Rams and the Chargers both playing in the same stadium soon. What happens do they play a game on Saturday and a game on Sunday? Especially what happens if the Jets are not expected to get home field advantage
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #416
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Okay so seriously I have a question, what happens if both the Jets and the Giants have home field advantage throughout the playoffs and host home playoff games for the conference title? I mean this is so unlikely to happen because the Jets suck eternally, but we've also got the Rams and the Chargers both playing in the same stadium soon. What happens do they play a game on Saturday and a game on Sunday? Especially what happens if the Jets are not expected to get home field advantage

In the past, Goodell said they'd play the games on Sunday and Monday.

Goodell: Giants and Jets would not host conference championships on same day | NJ.com
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #417
molson
General Manager

Patriots have won 24 consecutive games on CBS, and 9 in a row with Romo/Nantz.

Unfortunately, the Super Bowl is on NBC

Last edited by molson : 01-21-2018 at 11:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 AM   #418
bhlloy
Coordinator

Assuming Foles doesn't lay an absolute egg in the Super Bowl, what is a team willing to give up for him at this point? Take away that bad first year on a Jeff Fisher coached team, he's a guy with one exceptional year, a few more average years and a year stepping in to difficult circumstances to lead a team to the SB (and maybe more).

In a league where guys like Osweiler get big contracts and teams actively try to acquire backups who have looked semi competent in preseason and mopup duty like McCarron that has to be enough for some team to give him a look next year?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #419
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Assuming Foles doesn't lay an absolute egg in the Super Bowl, what is a team willing to give up for him at this point? Take away that bad first year on a Jeff Fisher coached team, he's a guy with one exceptional year, a few more average years and a year stepping in to difficult circumstances to lead a team to the SB (and maybe more).

In a league where guys like Osweiler get big contracts and teams actively try to acquire backups who have looked semi competent in preseason and mopup duty like McCarron that has to be enough for some team to give him a look next year?

Very good question. Prior to the game today I was seeing rumors floating around that the Vikings were going to franchise Keenum for appx 22 million. In a league where teams seem desperate to fill the most important position on a football team I would imagine his value will skyrocket quickly. Once NFL teams start catching up to the "smart" sabermetric built MLB teams they will figure out that there is no value in chasing quarterbacks. Until that happens certain teams are going to keep overpaying for replacement level quarterbacks. I think Pat Shurmer could work his magic with almost any NFL quarterback.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:31 AM   #420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Hoping the team can finish off with a Super Bowl win in his 1st year of life.

Be careful what you wish for.

My son was born April '98.
Tennessee won a national championship in January '99.

The Vols haven't even won a conference championship since.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #421
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Be careful what you wish for.

My son was born April '98.
Tennessee won a national championship in January '99.

The Vols haven't even won a conference championship since.

Considering they have never won a Super Bowl in my entire life, I'll take one now and worry about the future later
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #422
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Naturally, as a WVU guy, I'm a big fan of Jeff Hostetler (my only non-Jaguars jersey is a Giants Hostetler one). We were in the same church when I was in Morgantown so I met him and his family. I would love the Hostetler narrative to reveal itself again, and that Foles wins. Good luck Foles!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #423
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Considering they have never won a Super Bowl in my entire life, I'll take one now and worry about the future later

Exactly.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #424
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, trying to avoid gloating with a more serious take.

If you're a Jaguars fan, how do you not put this on Marrone? Talk about your conservative playcalling, I saw that the four first plays of drives after the Jaguars took that 10 point lead (until the Pats retook the lead), four runs, for a total of like zero yards.

The Jaguars got conservative in defensive play calling and offensive play calling. Against Pittsburgh, every time Pittsburgh scored, the Jaguars were aggressive, came back, and punched the Steelers in the mouth, being aggressive. Here, it was like "Well, let's not give the Pats any momentum with a turnover." Instead, you had a couple straight 3 and outs and then the horrible punt that set up the Patriots drive to take the lead.

Especially after last year's super bowl. People wonder why coach hoodie continues to grind teams into the dirt after the result's been decided.. because folks, until that clock hits 00:00, the result is NOT been decided.

If the Eagles get ahead of the Pats by 10 or more, they need to NOT say "All we have to do is play mistake-free football and we win". Mistake free football that doesn't try to score points and extend the lead.. well folks, that's not mistake free, because not doing the things that got you to that point is a huge fucking mistake.

Ask the Falcons. Ask the Jaguars. Ask just about anybody.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #425
Logan
Head Coach

Taking a knee with a minute left in the first half and two timeouts when you only needed like 30 yards to get into FG range was atrocious.

I'd also love to know what percentage of 1st down plays were runs. Seemed like it was 80+% for the first 50 or so minutes of game action.

Last edited by Logan : 01-22-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #426
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, they said they wanted to go into halftime and make adjustments, I kinda understand why, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't moment. Let's say something goes wrong and you give the ball back to the Pats and they score again. (I think they've scored in the last minute of the first half 13 times this year, it was 11 of 16 near the end of the season). Then "GO INTO THE LOCKERROOM WITH A LEAD YOU DUMMY".

But I don't know if it's teams relaxing because it's almost halftime, playing soft defense because of the clock, evil magic, or whatever, but by voluntarily giving up attempts to score points in realistic situations, you're telling your team "I don't think we're good enough to beat these guys into the dirt"
Old 01-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #427
Suicane75
Coordinator

I think the biggest problem is that the QB is the guy he trusts least on that team.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #428
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's impossible to beat the Patriots when inadvertent whistles" go against you. There's no way that Jack was down by contact
Old 01-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #429
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I've been watching for nearly 40 years now, and honestly, I've come to expect the worst. I think it's great that the Eagles will likely be going to the Super Bowl . But I've come to terms with the prospect that they may not ever win one. So I expect a loss in a couple weeks. If that doesn't occur...I guess I'll be pleasantly surprised and a bit relieved? If they do lose, I'll hopefully just be a little disappointed.

I would have gladly watched Jags-Vikings if that had happened. Because it is something NEW. A new matchup with a victor who had never before been a champion. I like new. I like upsets. I don't like seeing the same outcomes over and over again.
To be the best you've got to beat the best, and villains make sports fun. I love rooting against Alabama every. single. year. in the college playoffs. I was ecstatic that when the Red Sox finally won a championship it was after an epic comeback vs the Yankees. I still love the Warriors style, but now that they've become massive favorites I love rooting for them to lose. Jags, Vikings, Eagles are all good young teams on the rise, and it's unfortunate Wentz isn't playing, but seeing an underdog young team come up against the dominant force is always a great narrative in my mind. (And comparing it to UConn women's bball is ridiculous - that team is winning games by absurd margins while all 7 Patriots Super Bowls during this run have been 1 score nailbiters.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's impossible to beat the Patriots when inadvertent whistles" go against you. There's no way that Jack was down by contact
Pats Crazy Trick Play Ends w/ Myles Jack's Forced Fumble! 🦄 | Can't-Miss Play | AFC Championship HLs - YouTube

With Jack's body blocking the official's view of the ball and he & Lewis clearly touching as they went to the ground the whistle seemed pretty understandable to me. I guess in retrospect I'm glad they didn't rule Lewis down by contact on the field because I think that call would've stood too and given the Patriot Haters even more ammunition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Ok, trying to avoid gloating with a more serious take.

If you're a Jaguars fan, how do you not put this on Marrone? Talk about your conservative playcalling, I saw that the four first plays of drives after the Jaguars took that 10 point lead (until the Pats retook the lead), four runs, for a total of like zero yards.

The Jaguars got conservative in defensive play calling and offensive play calling. Against Pittsburgh, every time Pittsburgh scored, the Jaguars were aggressive, came back, and punched the Steelers in the mouth, being aggressive. Here, it was like "Well, let's not give the Pats any momentum with a turnover." Instead, you had a couple straight 3 and outs and then the horrible punt that set up the Patriots drive to take the lead.

Especially after last year's super bowl. People wonder why coach hoodie continues to grind teams into the dirt after the result's been decided.. because folks, until that clock hits 00:00, the result is NOT been decided.

If the Eagles get ahead of the Pats by 10 or more, they need to NOT say "All we have to do is play mistake-free football and we win". Mistake free football that doesn't try to score points and extend the lead.. well folks, that's not mistake free, because not doing the things that got you to that point is a huge fucking mistake.

Ask the Falcons. Ask the Jaguars. Ask just about anybody.
On the flip side, Seattle probably beats us if they hand the ball off to Marshawn Lynch & Matt Ryan was strip sacked dropping back to pass on a 3rd & 1, and sacked to push them out of FG range when up 28-20 and like 4 minutes were left. Jacksonville kneeling to end the first half instead of at least handing it off or calling quick easy plays & hoping somebody could make a play was atrocious, but I wouldn't say those other teams went too conservative. Certainly not Atlanta.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-22-2018 at 02:15 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #430
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Got texts saying the same stuff earlier "why are the Patriots happy about beating Blake Bortles?"... shurg, because we beat a good team to advance to the Super Bowl while coming from behind vs a great defense & missing our top two targets?Haven't watched that all 22, but which ticky tack call? The Cooks one to end the first half was debatable, though I think that's called 80-90% of the time, but the others were a chokehold & a helmet to helmet vs Gronk.

Besides the Cooks one there was another call that could have gone either way. It wasn't an obvious DPI.

There's nothing wrong with the calls but that type of officiating definitely didn't translate to both sides. There were a few plays where Jaguars players were interfered with and it was not called. I thought it was pretty clear early on they weren't going to be calling penalties on NE.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #431
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think they need to make PI 15 yards instead of a spot penalty.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:04 PM   #432
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

That would incentivize mugging a receiver that has you beat deep.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #433
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't mind the rule if it's called fairly. I think Mercedes Lewis got mauled a few times on passes that were no calls for whatever reason.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #434
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That would incentivize mugging a receiver that has you beat deep.

This is a common argument yet I doubt I've seen an "obvious mugging" more than 3x in all the college football I've watched.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #435
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cardinals get their head coach-its Carolina's Defensive Coordinator Steve Wilks. A bit disappointed-I had hoped they went with one of the offensive minded coaches, like the Philly QB coach they interviewed, but really just glad the search is over and they can plan for free agency and the draft now.

Arizona Cardinals hire Steve Wilks as head coach - NFL.com
Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #436
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This is a common argument yet I doubt I've seen an "obvious mugging" more than 3x in all the college football I've watched.

They don't throw the ball downfield like they do in the NFL.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #437
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Besides the Cooks one there was another call that could have gone either way. It wasn't an obvious DPI.

There's nothing wrong with the calls but that type of officiating definitely didn't translate to both sides. There were a few plays where Jaguars players were interfered with and it was not called. I thought it was pretty clear early on they weren't going to be calling penalties on NE.
The only other defensive penalty was when Jalen Ramsey put Brandin Cooks in a chokehold, unfortunately I can't find a video offhand, but it was obvious. (Best I can find is a grainy photo lol - https://twitter.com/BajaTim/status/955209310874882048 ) There was at least one play in the middle of the field I remember that should've been defensive holding on the Pats, but I don't think the Gilmore one at the end was DPI at all Stephon Gilmore’s Game-Winning Play | Jaguars vs Patriots AFC Championship Game - YouTube - initially I thought maybe he got him with the left hand since often on plays like that you see that, but it didn't look like he turned or affected Westbrook at all in the couple angles shown.

I'll also argue the Bouye one since he has his back turned, carries Cooks out of bounds then puts his hands up in the I didn't do nothing pose. Patriots vs Jaguars-Bouye called for pass interference - YouTube Both guys were handfighting and idk if that gets called in the middle of the field, but when you push/pull the guy OOB with your left arm on his back in front of the ref you're asking for him to throw a flag. If you want to say that's not enough for DPI, fine, but I definitely don't buy the argument the ball was uncatchable - Cooks could've gotten there if Bouye wasn't in his way. I also find it a little disingenuous that the Pats conspiracy theorists are saying that call gifted the Pats a TD - it moved the ball 32 yards from the 45 to the 13, but it still would've been 2nd & 10 with 1:17 left, at least 1 timeout iirc, and the Pats in Jags territory, there's a very good chance we were scoring that drive anyways, just likely wouldn't have had Marrone's ultra conservative kneeldowns to cap the half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I've thought about whether the NFL should have 2 Pass Interfences - one a 5/10 yarder, and one a spot foul for egregious plays where the DB just tackles a guy, but it probably would lead to more (small) PI's being called on defenders, and the NFL likely doesn't want to add another subjective call to the refs after eliminating the 5 yard facemask for that reason. I do think some of the penalty results could be tweaked these days - I'm not sure defensive holding should be an automatic first down instead of just 5/10 yards and replay the down for example.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-22-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #438
sabotai
General Manager

Pat Shurmur is the Giants new Head Coach. Signed to a 5 year deal.

New York Giants on Twitter: "Welcome to Big Blue, Coach Pat Shurmur! QUOTES: https://t.co/8BdsI8lwve… "

Edit: Rumor is that they are eyeing Jack Del Rio to be the new Defensive Coordinator

Last edited by sabotai : 01-22-2018 at 06:37 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #439
Thomkal
Head Coach

So likely the Giants go with a QB in the 1st round now?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #440
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So likely the Giants go with a QB in the 1st round now?
I thought it was likely the whole time. The questions are which one, and do you trade Eli before that roster bonus kicks in the 3rd day of free agency or keep him around for another year under the assumption that means you won't have to throw the rookie in until he's ready? I do think keeping around a franchise legend like that would make things messy (as December's drama showed), but there's also a decent chance with Shurmur and healthy WR's Eli would have enough of a bounce back year to lead the Giants to the playoffs next season, and idk what teams would be willing to trade for him.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #441
Suicane75
Coordinator

Super Bowl line is going to be interesting to follow. I got it at 6.5 last night, he said he read it opened in places at 7. Already down to 5. I think Vegas is highly overestimating the Patriots here. Think a LARGE majority of the money is gonna come in on the Eagles. I could see the line going as low as 3.5 or 3.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #442
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I thought it was likely the whole time. The questions are which one, and do you trade Eli before that roster bonus kicks in the 3rd day of free agency or keep him around for another year under the assumption that means you won't have to throw the rookie in until he's ready? I do think keeping around a franchise legend like that would make things messy (as December's drama showed), but there's also a decent chance with Shurmur and healthy WR's Eli would have enough of a bounce back year to lead the Giants to the playoffs next season, and idk what teams would be willing to trade for him.

I think it would be "poetic justice" if the Chargers traded for him
Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #443
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Once NFL teams start catching up to the "smart" sabermetric built MLB teams they will figure out that there is no value in chasing quarterbacks. Until that happens certain teams are going to keep overpaying for replacement level quarterbacks. I think Pat Shurmer could work his magic with almost any NFL quarterback.

Agree and disagree. Teams generally overpay for mid-level quarterbacks, as I'm sure we will see again with Kirk Cousins this off-season. But quarterback is still by far the most important position and having an elite player at that position makes things much, much easier. I DO NOT think this is a position where you should be looking to save money and there is no "smart" sabermetric play here.

Of course, if you can't get an elite player, or even a next tier talent (ie. Stafford, Ryan) I agree about not wanting to break the bank for the Andy Dalton's of the world. But if the only alternative is Brett Hundley or Trevor Siemian, then maybe they are worth the money, as I think a team could win a Super Bowl with a guy at Dalton's level but not someone at Hundley or Siemian's.

I'm also not sure how well Pat Shurmur's magic worked on Colt McCoy and Brandon Weeden.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #444
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Agree and disagree. Teams generally overpay for mid-level quarterbacks, as I'm sure we will see again with Kirk Cousins this off-season. But quarterback is still by far the most important position and having an elite player at that position makes things much, much easier. I DO NOT think this is a position where you should be looking to save money and there is no "smart" sabermetric play here.

Of course, if you can't get an elite player, or even a next tier talent (ie. Stafford, Ryan) I agree about not wanting to break the bank for the Andy Dalton's of the world. But if the only alternative is Brett Hundley or Trevor Siemian, then maybe they are worth the money, as I think a team could win a Super Bowl with a guy at Dalton's level but not someone at Hundley or Siemian's.

I'm also not sure how well Pat Shurmur's magic worked on Colt McCoy and Brandon Weeden.

At one point defense was undervalued in baseball. The smarter teams took advantage of this market weakness. That same weakness is in the NFL market because teams are overpaying for replacement level quarterbacks. I am not saying you should ignore the position I am simply saying dont overvalue the position like the bottom feeders of the NFL do.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:51 AM   #445
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.navytimes.com/news/2018/...flag-protests/

If this is true then I'm never watching another NFL game again
Old 01-23-2018, 06:12 AM   #446
miked
College Starter

Yes, why would the NFL want to bring more attention to this divisive issue? We all know there are groups of people who want everyone to stand, and people that want to kneel as a protest. Do you think the NFL wants to allow more commercials and keep this issue on the forefront?

If that's keeping you from watching football, bye Felicia?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #447
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What a nothing burger.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #448
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm always uncomfortable when networks or local affiliates censor ads, due to the language in their charters about public airwaves, but that's not what happened here. This is a private organization making choices about what to put in their publication. Obviously the ad runs counter to their corporate messaging, so of course they don't want to run it.

I suspect AmVets never expected the ad to run, certainly the quality of the ad makes me doubt it was publication ready. I expect the plan was and is to use the controversy for exposure and to drive donations. They are playing with fire a bit by becoming openly political, but maybe that's always been the case. I don't know much about AmVets other than that they are a reputable charity.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #449
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
https://www.navytimes.com/news/2018/...flag-protests/

If this is true then I'm never watching another NFL game again

Eh. The protests have nothing to do with the arm forces or veterans.

Are players still protesting in this fashion? I haven't heard much about it, other than people whinging about players protesting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-23-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #450
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's pretty poor form to let them dial up the outrage machine to 11 over some sort of Super Bowl related add and only cost $30,000