Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #1201
Logan
Head Coach

I understand losing him after only a couple weeks sucks, but wasn't the absolute best case scenario that he was there for one year?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #1202
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah I can see hiring him for an offensive coordinator/QB coach job but head coach when your team just had the worst record with a head coach 'born and raised" in the NFL? I'm just glad my Cards aren't interested in Marvin Lewis.

Jets also interested in Kingsbury-should make for an interesting turn in the Thomkal Jets/Cards rivalry with my brother

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-08-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #1203
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bright young coach seems to be coming to Tampa.

Bucs make Bruce Arians take full physical, include his doctor as part of interview process
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #1204
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah poor Cleveland loses again. I guess its good Arians is going back to coaching because his broadcast skills were never going to be as good. Is his family so sick of him already that they are ok with him going back to coaching? I think that and his health were just excuses for needing a break from coaching. Maybe he's found the spark he needed.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #1205
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think the LaFleur hiring is interesting. He really didn't have a lot to work with with Walker going out in the preseason and one legit (while also inconsistent) WR in Davis. In the games Mariota played, the Titans went 8-4 and scored 23 ppg (including wins over Philly, Dallas and New England). He also did a lot to open their running game and they were much better on 3rd down than GB. I'm thinking if he can get an injured Mariota to complete 69% of his passes at an average of 7.6 ypa - he should be able to improve Rodgers' numbers (62% with a 7.4 ypa). The Titans OL was also pretty awful by most metrics.

In GB, he will have a better QB, better OL, better WR and some young RBs with promise. If you look at his route concepts, 3rd down playcalling and zone running scheme - it should be a nice change from McCarthy's "everybody win your matchup" offense.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #1206
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I understand losing him after only a couple weeks sucks, but wasn't the absolute best case scenario that he was there for one year?

The hope was he would be the HC after one year, although really that’s just the desire to have anyone else rather that the perception that Kingsbury is a great HC
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #1207
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yeah I can see hiring him for an offensive coordinator/QB coach job but head coach when your team just had the worst record with a head coach 'born and raised" in the NFL? I'm just glad my Cards aren't interested in Marvin Lewis.

Jets also interested in Kingsbury-should make for an interesting turn in the Thomkal Jets/Cards rivalry with my brother

Looking like the Cards are the "winner" here, but not officially announced.

Edit: It now has been announced

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-08-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #1208
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The hope was he would be the HC after one year, although really that’s just the desire to have anyone else rather that the perception that Kingsbury is a great HC

Right but unless you believe he would prefer to be the USC HC over an NFL HC, you weren't going to end up with him next year anyway.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #1209
bhlloy
Coordinator

Fair - I don’t think anybody anticipated the NFL head coaching interest for a coach who basically failed at a not-terrible school.

Let’s be honest, the Cards are taking a shot in the dark at a guy who might look a bit like Sean McVay if you squint hard enough, and if he falls flat on his face they will just Wilks him next year anyway along with a new GM who will bring in his own guy.

There’s probably some sour grapes in that evaluation, but also some truth.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #1210
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Cards are trying to be the new Browns
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #1211
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that Kingsbury seems like such a bad NFL hire that it might end up being good. Like, whenever 100% of pundits agree on something it ends up being wrong.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #1212
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kitchens? I guess that's a good hire. Williams apparently wanted to make his son DC
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #1213
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Kitchens? I guess that's a good hire. Williams apparently wanted to make his son DC

Seems like the best move from where they were. I'm hopeful. They ought to attract a legit DC, I'd think.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #1214
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Gregg Williams was fools gold. The Browns were smart to understand which coach actually helped turn them around this season.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #1215
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Cards are trying to be the new Browns

Is that better or worse than the Bengals trying to become the old Bengals?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #1216
Thomkal
Head Coach

Broncos go with the Bears Fangio.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #1217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Gregg Williams was fools gold. The Browns were smart to understand which coach actually helped turn them around this season.

The one that left?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #1218
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The one that left?

Old 01-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #1219
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Broncos go with the Bears Fangio.

Damn, was hoping he'd stay on as Bears' DC. Curious to see whom they bring in.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #1220
Logan
Head Coach

I have no idea why the Jets aren't jumping all over McCarthy, especially if the reports are to be believed that he wants the job so badly.

I get that he has his limitations but they just need a solid, dependable coach who can bring credibility to the whole organization. I like Rhule and maybe he has a higher ceiling but they can't afford a flop here.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #1221
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Pretty impressive duo leading the Broncos. While not as exciting as the new, shiny pennies found in some of these other jobs - Denver got two really good football guys running the show:

Old 01-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #1222
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Damn, was hoping he'd stay on as Bears' DC. Curious to see whom they bring in.
Me too. Fangio didn't seem to get as much credit as Nagy for the Bears success, and that just wasn't right. No telling how good of a HC he will make; always a crapshoot even with the great coordinators.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #1223
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I have no idea why the Jets aren't jumping all over McCarthy, especially if the reports are to be believed that he wants the job so badly.

I get that he has his limitations but they just need a solid, dependable coach who can bring credibility to the whole organization. I like Rhule and maybe he has a higher ceiling but they can't afford a flop here.

Maybe he was just doing OJT with the Dolphins. I guess if he succeeds with the Jets, the NFL can contract the Dolphins.

Adam Gase expected to be hired as New York Jets head coach
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #1224
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ha-ha Jets because he did so well for the Dolphins?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #1225
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
V

I thought it was clear that Gase was overrated/unqualified after his Miami gig.

Dude road the OC coattails of an aging Pey pey to a real payday and then showed his shit. Silly Jets.

Called the Denver Fangio hire a week ago, if you get a good DC HC , hire a guy to focus and only run the O (hence Kubiak) you have the workings of the system. Could be special.

Now Im curious to see what might be Elways QB song , draft Haskins? Hit the FA market *lol taneyhill or deal for someone's bQB?

This will sound sick but I said last month before the playoffs that the Donkeys should offer a 2nd rounder for Nick Mullens. SF got that ceesh tied up in Jeanne Garafolo. Win-win.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #1226
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
I thought it was clear that Gase was overrated/unqualified after his Miami gig.

Dude road the OC coattails of an aging Pey pey to a real payday and then showed his shit. Silly Jets.

Called the Denver Fangio hire a week ago, if you get a good DC HC , hire a guy to focus and only run the O (hence Kubiak) you have the workings of the system. Could be special.

Now Im curious to see what might be Elways QB song , draft Haskins? Hit the FA market *lol taneyhill or deal for someone's bQB?

This will sound sick but I said last month before the playoffs that the Donkeys should offer a 2nd rounder for Nick Mullens. SF got that ceesh tied up in Jeanne Garafolo. Win-win.

Is this the new coaching model? I hear everyone talking about finding the next Sean McVay and it is associated with his ability to develop a QB and scheme up offenses. Could it also be about hiring a great offense mind and turning the defense over to a great defensive mind and vice versa? Someone has to be the "head coach" and make the "head coaching" decisions of course but does it really make sense for Fangio to force Kubiak to run the ball more or Kubiak to force Fangio to play more zone coverage? Could the head coaching decisions be something that comes from the analytic department a la baseball? Just curious.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #1227
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I get the impression that someone's ability to be a successful head coach relies just as much on their social/organizational skills than their abilities regarding football strategy. In essence, the higher one rises within the front office, the more likely that a lack in those social & organizational skills will serve to bottleneck whatever technical football knowledge that person is trying to pass on to their team.

Someone like Sean McVay comes along, and the press runs with a kind of "Beautiful Mind" narrative, based entirely on promoting the dude's remarkable recall and strategic thinking, while ignoring any of the adjacent skills that allow for any of that information to be communicated effectively to his team of players and coaches.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #1228
bhlloy
Coordinator

ahaha ha haha Gase got another job... poor Sam Darnold.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #1229
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm just glad that Colts DC and Toledo alum Matt Eberflus hasn't been plucked by another team.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #1230
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Just saw another amazing Pat Mahomes stat:

- Patrick Mahomes has thrown 5 more TDs (50) than Dustin Colquitt has punted (45)

Wonder if that's ever happened before...
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #1231
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Just saw another amazing Pat Mahomes stat:

- Patrick Mahomes has thrown 5 more TDs (50) than Dustin Colquitt has punted (45)

Wonder if that's ever happened before...
In the 2007 season, Brady threw 6 more TDs (50) than Chris Hanson punted (44).
My source: https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl...ots/stats/2007

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 01-11-2019 at 05:47 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #1232
miami_fan
Coordinator

Gary Kubiak won't be on Vic Fangio's coaching staff for Denver Broncos
Old 01-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #1233
AlexB
Pro Starter

So was that a penalty just because the dance was close to the ref?

Last edited by AlexB : 01-12-2019 at 05:33 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #1234
BishopMVP
Coordinator

It doesn't matter, especially since I think they said "no conclusive evidence of a recovery so the call stands" instead of "it was a fumble, recovered by San Diego". But in the second scenario would we win and get a 3rd challenge chance? Heck, even in the first if Belichick challenged that the ball was fumbled & it conclusively was shouldn't that be enough to count as a win?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #1235
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno if this is baseball thread or football thread but just curious how much of his bonus Kyler Murray gives up if ge chooses football? And the A's lose the pick regardless, right?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #1236
Drake
assmaster

I don't think one close/competitive game this weekend is too much to ask for, is it?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #1237
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If/when Foles wins another Superbowl this year, Wentz to the Jags/Broncos/Bengals for 3 #1s and some seconds?
Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #1238
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't like that decision to decline the holding to leave the Saints with 4th and a short 1, and even if you do decide to leave them that you have got to be ready for the fake keeper with Hill out there.

Pick your poison a bit by giving the ball back to Brees on 3rd and 11, but with the way he's started the game, I'm taking that option every time.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #1239
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I dunno if this is baseball thread or football thread but just curious how much of his bonus Kyler Murray gives up if ge chooses football? And the A's lose the pick regardless, right?

I believe he gives it all up, which is why it's such a fascinating decision. A lot of money to play minor league baseball for the next 3-5 years with a decent shot of making the majors, or less money to play football in the NFL right away, but knowing that a player of his size and stature has almost never succeeded at that position and he might not get a second contract if he falls flat on his face.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 PM   #1240
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Kyler Murray: Is The NFL A More Lucrative Option Than MLB for Oklahoma QB?

Interesting take on it. Not sure I completely with some of the presumptions.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #1241
miami_fan
Coordinator

Not to bring politics in the NFL thread but...,

How long after a Saints win on Sunday would a state of emergency be declared for the state of Georgia? Can a wall be built at the Georgia western borders in time for Super Bowl week?
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #1242
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Not to bring politics in the NFL thread but...,

How long after a Saints win on Sunday would a state of emergency be declared for the state of Georgia? Can a wall be built at the Georgia western borders in time for Super Bowl week?

Saints in the Super Bowl in Atlanta should set records for ticket prices on the secondary market.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #1243
SackAttack
Head Coach

I have a feeling that this is the season the Patriots dynasty ends, as it began: against the Rams.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #1244
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Predicting a high of 14 degrees in Arrowhead on Sunday.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #1245
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pats vs Saints is a game I have no desire to watch.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #1246
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Pats vs Saints is a game I have no desire to watch.

Certainly no "good guys" in that situation.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #1247
spleen1015
Coordinator

How are the Saints the bad guys? Payton? Brees is a stand up individual unlike the devil spawn that Tom Brady is.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #1248
Kodos
Resident Alien

Exactly. Payton is still in place after the bounty thing. That was a never coach again offense in my book.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #1249
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I have a feeling that this is the season the Patriots dynasty ends, as it began: against the Rams.

That’s one of the angles. The others:

NE/NO: Veteran, future HOF QB
KC/LA: Missouri grudge match
KC/NO: Hank Stram Bowl!

I’m rooting for matriculation.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #1250
Kodos
Resident Alien

KC vs. LA would be good.