Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Life Milestones - Wills

Years ago, someone on this board posted about how we're all getting older and should have wills in place. I agreed, and after a good bit of procrastination, I'll finally have signed documents in place later this week. At 51, I'm pretty late to the game, I know... Anyhow, milestone achieved, if I can avoid dying for a few more days. Of course, until that day, it'll be like driving a shiny new car. It'll feel like everyone is out to get me...

Someone else who has procrastinated on this too: You're up next.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-01-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:03 AM   #2
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm 55 this year. I'm behind you.
Gotta get that ball rolling.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:42 AM   #3
bryce
High School Varsity

I'm 45, and it's on my to do list. I've heard horror stories of Texas probate, though, so I get stuck between a will and an estate.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
I'm 45, and it's on my to do list. I've heard horror stories of Texas probate, though, so I get stuck between a will and an estate.

I think you mean 'will' and 'trust'....both deal with your 'estate'.

But a lot of it comes down to what you have, and what your needs are for your family should you go away.

We had all ours set up about 8 years ago. We needed to set up a trust to protect our oldest from losing his services should he inherit a lot of money. At the time we couldn't trust any family members to take on trustee, so we set up a corporate trustee, and really hoped it wouldn't come to that. Now that our youngest boys are of age, we need to change that to have them as the trustees. We need to look at everything again anyway, so it's a good time to go over everything.

Congrats Kodos on getting it done.

On a similar note....

I asked the wife this year, if we could back off my life insurance level as it's costing us a couple hundred every month, but it's also quite high to get that premium. She said no.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
We needed to set up a trust to protect our oldest from losing his services should he inherit a lot of money. At the time we couldn't trust any family members to take on trustee, so we set up a corporate trustee, and really hoped it wouldn't come to that. Now that our youngest boys are of age, we need to change that to have them as the trustees. We need to look at everything again anyway, so it's a good time to go over everything.

We actually did a trust for our son too. He has autism but is a high-functioning kid. We wanted to make sure that he is well taken care of in case something happens to us. Luckily, my wife is a mama bear who fights tooth and nail to get him everything he needs to succeed. He is so lucky that she is there to advocate for him.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-02-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We did one several years ago but have to change it. Currently my wifes sister and husband get our kids if something happens. I love them but they live in England. It is hard because they are hands down the best choice, but now that my kids are 8 and 11 I feel like that may not be whats best for them and instead live with a grandparent. My sister is the backup, and she has turned into a shit show. I would rather have my kids raised by wolves.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
spleen1015
Coordinator

We redid ours a couple of years ago. I just turned 45.

I don't remember why we did it, but my daughter had just turned 16. We set it up so that some good friends of our would gain guardianship of her and she would continue to live in our house. Since she was in the 10th grade, we didn't want her life to be disrupted anymore than it would by the death of her parents.

Prior to that, my BIL would have been her guardian, but that just didn't fit anymore.

My stepson is 28, so we didn't have to worry about him.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We have a meeting with our lawyer in January for that very thing.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

I haven't bothered with a will myself. Honestly don't really see much of a reason to. It's not like I have any wealth and my life insurances are split between two people.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:30 AM   #10
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I think you mean 'will' and 'trust'....both deal with your 'estate'.

Ah yes, indeed I did...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote