Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #301
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You talking about the IU Rivals board? Just noticed a post over there that basically states that an agreement has been signed between IU and Crean for him to move on.

Nope. See post above. I quoted your Crean wanting to go to Mizzou post in the related "Crean" thread.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #302
Kodos
Resident Alien

Take Two: Unveiling a coaching wish list of one | Take Two | columbiatribune.com
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #303
Kodos
Resident Alien

Billy Donovan is reportedly a no-go for IU.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #304
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Romar after this next draft will have had six first-round draft picks on his teams. He's had zero NCAA tourney bids in those years.
Just to clarify, he will have had six first round picks since the 2011-12 season with no NCAA Tournament bids, but he had four more first round picks prior to that with six NCAA Tournament bids.

I could bore you with the reasons why the recent run of futility, but few will care. It should be noted that the 2012-13 team with Wroten, Ross and Wilcox won the Pac-12 that season but were the first regular season conference champ to be denied an NCAA bid.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #305
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Just to clarify, he will have had six first round picks since the 2011-12 season with no NCAA Tournament bids, but he had four more first round picks prior to that with six NCAA Tournament bids.

I could bore you with the reasons why the recent run of futility, but few will care. It should be noted that the 2012-13 team with Wroten, Ross and Wilcox won the Pac-12 that season but were the first regular season conference champ to be denied an NCAA bid.

I would take Romar over Kevin Stallings anyday. Still pissed off that's the best Pitt could do last year.

Pitt looks awesome this year with 2 potential first rounder's on the roster at 15-16 and Jamie Dixon sits at 17-14 with a roster full of poop. We love running college coaches out of the burg with our artificial inflation of what the expectations should be.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #306
tarcone
Coordinator

Mizzou admin has leaked some stuff to parents of players that Crean has been offered a 7 year 2.5 million dollar/year contract.
Obviously, their season has to end, but Mizzou wants to make an announcement by the Sweet 16.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #307
Butter
Coordinator

Josh Jackson suspended from Kansas' first Big 12 tourney game, for... a minor hit and run accident, not the malicious property damage to that women's basketball player's car.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #308
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Josh Jackson suspended from Kansas' first Big 12 tourney game, for... a minor hit and run accident, not the malicious property damage to that women's basketball player's car.

Wow the reports of what happened don't match the story being spun by Self and Kansas at all.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #309
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Well Coastal Carolina did about as expected in its first year in the Sun Belt with no real elite talent. Middle of the pack with a win against most teams in the conference. Finished 15-16 overall, 8th seed in the tourney. Will face 9 seed South Alabama in New Orleans on Wed. Let's hope some of the Coastal Carolina magic from the baseball team rubs off on them.

Coastal Carolina cruises to a 17 point win over South Alabama and moves on to face #1 seed Texas-Arlington. Lost by 20 at their place but won a squeaker at home, so I guess there is a chance.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:06 AM   #310
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amazing win for the good guys. Hopefully they can keep it going for Kim.

The hug with Phillips when he fouled out was a really nice moment.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #311
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Wow the reports of what happened don't match the story being spun by Self and Kansas at all.

Yeah. . . funny how the guy is suspended 15 minutes after Self gets a call from the paper about it and then says it's because the player told him what happened.

The womens player seems to have had major cuts in her minutes to the point of not playing. Not a good look for Kansas at all.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #312
TroyF
Coordinator

So this is Women's College basketball related, but I thought I'd share a quick story. My niece won ticket to a Tulsa University women's basketball a game a couple of weeks ago. I took her to the game. It was South Florida vs. Tulsa.

South Florida looked good. You could tell they were a well coached team. They had multiple scorers, ran a good offense, played hard on defense. They ended up winning the game 96-65 or something close to that. I walked away very impressed with that team.

They played UCONN on Monday night in the championship game of the conference tournament. After 30 minutes, the score was UCONN beating South Florida 93-33. I know how dominant UCONN is in women's basketball and I know there are major differences between the women's and men's game. But that blew me away. South Florida went 24-5 this year in games that were not against UCONN. Only one of those losses was by double digits.

They lost the 3 games to UCONN by a combined score of 298-149. No other team they played scored over 80 points against them.

Good lord. . .
Old 03-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #313
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Yeah. . . funny how the guy is suspended 15 minutes after Self gets a call from the paper about it and then says it's because the player told him what happened.

The womens player seems to have had major cuts in her minutes to the point of not playing. Not a good look for Kansas at all.

It's been a pretty rough situation on the discipline front with KU this year. The KC paper has been rightfully hammering them. This is the third issue this year with three different players and Self seems to think that 'handling it internally' is all he has to say. The lack of any suspension when one of the players hit a woman sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #314
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
So this is Women's College basketball related, but I thought I'd share a quick story. My niece won ticket to a Tulsa University women's basketball a game a couple of weeks ago. I took her to the game. It was South Florida vs. Tulsa.

South Florida looked good. You could tell they were a well coached team. They had multiple scorers, ran a good offense, played hard on defense. They ended up winning the game 96-65 or something close to that. I walked away very impressed with that team.

They played UCONN on Monday night in the championship game of the conference tournament. After 30 minutes, the score was UCONN beating South Florida 93-33. I know how dominant UCONN is in women's basketball and I know there are major differences between the women's and men's game. But that blew me away. South Florida went 24-5 this year in games that were not against UCONN. Only one of those losses was by double digits.

They lost the 3 games to UCONN by a combined score of 298-149. No other team they played scored over 80 points against them.

Good lord. . .

That Samuelson girl on UConn is a beast. I was at their game against Memphis, and she had Memphis outscored by herself at halftime. She can score from inside, outside, anywhere.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #315
Atocep
Coordinator

Some karma for Bill Self trying to minimize Jackson's loss by suspending him against TCU in their Big 12 opener.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #316
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hell, this is probably a good thing for them. Secured a #1 seed no matter what and now they get plenty of time for rest and practice.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #317
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou win and KU loss. That's a good 24 hours, especially since that's been few and far between the last 3 years.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #318
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Had to chuckle at this non-response:

Tom Crean denies reported interest in Missouri
Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #319
Butter
Coordinator

UMass fires Derek Kellogg after what seemed like twenty years of mediocrity.

Imagine BishopMVP is turning cartwheels.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #320
Butter
Coordinator

Indiana definitely playing as if they wanted zero part of Iowa.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #321
tarcone
Coordinator

I have nothing to say. Just a complete disappointment.

I guess we get to win the NIT.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #322
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I love Iowa's draw in the B1G tourney.
Right now, I dont think anyone wants to face us.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #323
Atocep
Coordinator

Attorney for Josh Jackson of Kansas Jayhawks tried to pay to have charges dropped
Old 03-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #324
wustin
College Prospect

No one talking about Grayson Allen tried to Draymond Green the Louisville player yesterday?
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #325
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton wins the A10 regular season, then loses at GW and loses against Davidson in the A10 quarterfinals. Jack Gibbs with a couple of ridiculous step back threes in the final minute to win it.

Lots of fan chatter about Dayton ending up like St. Bonaventure last year. Great.

Last edited by Butter : 03-10-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #326
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like Coastal Carolina's season is done with a 24 point loss to UTA.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #327
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Junk 3's keep Indiana in the game but Wisconsin hangs on. That'd be nice if we are peaking now.

Once Crean teaches defense they might be a good team again. Their offense is tough to watch at times, too. Crean done at IU?
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #328
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

So easy to root for Northwestern right now.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:02 AM   #329
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Big win for Arizona against UCLA. That has to get them a 2-seed.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 AM   #330
wustin
College Prospect

I guess UNC is keeping that 1 seed
Old 03-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #331
Arles
Grey Dog Software

UNC has 7 losses, including non conference losses to Georgia Tech and Indiana, and they are getting a 1 seed. I just don't see it.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #332
MrBug708
Head Coach

Alford isn't a likeable guy but man if Sean Miller is a fat Rick Pitino jackass
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #333
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
UNC has 7 losses, including non conference losses to Georgia Tech and Indiana, and they are getting a 1 seed. I just don't see it.

GT is in conference
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #334
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Junk 3's keep Indiana in the game but Wisconsin hangs on. That'd be nice if we are peaking now.

Once Crean teaches defense they might be a good team again. Their offense is tough to watch at times, too. Crean done at IU?

I think so. He'll be a good coach for Mizzou. Just couldn't get IU to the level that the fans want.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #335
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:

10 wins against teams in RPI top 50, 5 wins against RPI top 25. UNC has also played a much tougher schedule than any PAC-10 team. Arizona and Oregon both only have 2 wins against RPI top 25 each before they play each other. The only argument you can make against UNC is that they have 7 losses.

If you want to use KenPom ranking, it favors UNC even more.

Last edited by wustin : 03-11-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #336
MrBug708
Head Coach

Does beating a team in the 100's of RPI really mean more than beating a team in the 200's of RPI? I mean, if you counting SOS, that's essentially what you are arguing
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #337
wustin
College Prospect

I personally don't care. Zona and Oregon fans should not want the #1 seed anyways because they're going to get booted to the south if they get it. If they get the #2 seeds they'll remain in the west.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #338
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let's go..................... Mountaineers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Does beating a team in the 100's of RPI really mean more than beating a team in the 200's of RPI? I mean, if you counting SOS, that's essentially what you are arguing

I'd say yes, it has more meaning/value.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #340
Butter
Coordinator

If Syracuse makes the tournament you might as well just make it the P5 invitational and be done with it.

They're at #84 RPI, while advanced metrics are a bit more forgiving with kenpom at #51, Sagarin #39.

They lost the only OOC games they scheduled on the road. Lost to UConn, got crushed by St. John's and then in conference lost at Boston College who continues to be by far the worst P5 program.

They did have some nice wins, but they went 2-12 away from home only wins being bottom third of the ACC teams Clemson and NC STATE. Lost 5 of their last 7.

They have some top 50 wins. But they are not a tournament team.

Last edited by Butter : 03-11-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #341
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think the ACC was the best conference - but I feel like just being in the conference is really propping up these teams. Miami has the 268th non conference SOS, has 11 losses, went 4-10 against the top 50 and is a 7 seed? Syracuse is 18-14, 2-12 on the road and the 234 non conference SOS. But, hey, they are in the ACC so they're in. Wake Forest is 19-13 and 3-10 against the top 50. They're in the ACC? Oh that's a tourney team. Duke has 8 losses and the 104 noncomference SOS, well that's a team in the conversation for a 1-seed. This whole thing seems like a bit of a shell game to me.

Last edited by Arles : 03-12-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #342
wustin
College Prospect

Well it's not the ACC's fault that its schools are so strong. They put 6 schools in the sweet 16 last year.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #343
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

That should have no bearing on a mediocre team like Syracuse getting in this year.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #344
Atocep
Coordinator

The ACC is arguably the best league because of the top 5 or 6 out of 15 teams. The rest are building tournament resumes based on what the top 5 or 6 have done.

The 14-15 team conferences with unbalanced schedules have made it easier for mediocre teams to get into the tournament.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-12-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #345
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, I don't see a big difference between Miami and USC. Miami is RPI 41, 21-11, 42 SOS, 268 nonconf SOS and 3-8 vs top 25 RPI. USC is RPI 42, 24-9, 78 SOS, 138 nonconf SOS and 2-6 vs top 25. I think Miami is a little better, but not to where Miami is a 7 seed and USC doesn't make the tourney at all.

For the 1 line, Arizona is 30-4 with 2 losses (Gonz and Butler) coming without their best player (Trier). They are 6-4 vs the top 50, SOS of 23 and non conf SOS of 24 and an RPI of 2. That should be good enough, but I think it's fair to also get the 2 seed in the West (with the zags getting the 1.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #346
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think the committee did a good job on the field and ok on the seedlings. The mid majors like Witchita State and the Big ten seeding seem wonky. Notre Dame a 5 and FSU a 3 is also odd. Overall, though, not too bad.

I'm just glad Witchita State isn't the 10 on AZ's 2 line. That's a scary 10 seed.

Last edited by Arles : 03-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #347
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the committee did a good job on the field and ok on the seedlings. The mid majors like Witchita State and the Big ten seeding seem wonky. Notre Dame a 5 and FSU a 3 is also odd. Overall, though, not too bad.

I'm just glad Witchita State isn't the 10 on AZ's 2 line. That's a scary 10 seed.

They really need to move off of RPI for seeding. Oklahoma State is 24 in Sagarin, TeamRankings, and KenPom and they're a 10 seed because of a RPI of 40. It creates a hell of a 1st round game against Michigan, but they probably shouldn't be seeded that low.

Witchita State is the worst seeding in the entire tournament. This a borderline top 10 team sitting on the 10 line? Dayton is a solid team, but they're probably going to be decent underdogs in their 1st round matchup.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #348
wustin
College Prospect

Kansas' region looks like a walk in the park while UNC's looks the toughest.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #349
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

3 #2s and a #3 in my first attempt at a final four? Seriously? Not sure I won't talk myself out of that before all is said & done but that's my first scratch at it.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #350
TroyF
Coordinator

I'll be going to the games in Tulsa. Kansas vs TBA, Michigan State vs Miami, SMU vs TBA, Baylor vs New Mexico State.

So first round, I cheer for whoever Kansas is playing. Michigan State, New Mexico State and SMU. Second round whoever Kansas is playing and I'll have to see who gets through. Should be a fun Friday/Sunday.