Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #3401
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh, another article said it could result in Russian deaths. Putin prob won't take that lying down.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #3402
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So what exactly does the air/missile strike accomplish? Is there going to be follow-up actions?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #3403
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Oh, another article said it could result in Russian deaths. Putin prob won't take that lying down.

Meh...depends on if he cared for those particular Russians.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #3404
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Meh...depends on if he cared for those particular Russians.

They are probably some of his better trained folks ... so yeah, I think he would care.

If there are some Rooskie casualties, he'll find some way to do the same to us

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-06-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #3405
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So what exactly does the air/missile strike accomplish? Is there going to be follow-up actions?

Beats me, but better than saying there is a red line and having your bluff called.

I like Obama on domestic things but alot of his foreign policies left alot to be desired.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #3406
Edward64
Head Coach

(BTW, anyone else stuck in an airport somewhere?)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #3407
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nonsensical act. Wrong place to flex, with no real justification for doing so.

For our sake I hope he gets away with it but it was a dumb move.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #3409
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nonsensical act. Wrong place to flex, with no real justification for doing so.

For our sake I hope he gets away with it but it was a dumb move.

There's prob some positioning with Xi also.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #3410
bhlloy
Coordinator

Figures that the first thing Trump does Jon absolutely hates I'm a huge fan of

This was such a horrific act I think it deserves a response and I don't think Russia will go to war over this. Sick of talk and UN resolutions while children are dying, and while I doubt his heart is completely in the right place here (it's far more likely posturing with Xi and Putin) I'll take it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #3411
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

This was such a horrific act I think it deserves a response and I don't think Russia will go to war over this. Sick of talk and UN resolutions while children are dying, and while I doubt his heart is completely in the right place here (it's far more likely posturing with Xi and Putin) I'll take it.

AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #3412
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Yeah, these guys need to get fucked up for that. We shouldn't let evil go unchecked.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 AM   #3413
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

50 Tomahawk missiles blew up the last remaining scraps of the Constitution.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #3414
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'm in full guarded support, with acknowledgement of the reality that Syria is a hot mess. It stinks to have to be the world's policeman, but when a dictator is gassing his own people, I want *someone* to respond, and no one else is going to do so. But with the complicated mess that Syria is, I strongly believe Trump's in over his head when it comes to navigating all of the ramifications as things unfold. He's definitely not going to listen to Pelosi, Sanders, or any Dem, and probably not even the Graham/McCain contingent of his own party that has been heavily critical of him. So the best-case realistic scenario seems to be that he basically defers to Mattis in the military arena, Haley in the diplomatic, and Rubio & Co. in the political.

And I'd rather not think about the worst-case realstic scenarios here...
Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #3415
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Within approximately 14 hours.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-07-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #3416
Edward64
Head Coach

So you are saying Trump admin has alot of drama or thinking the Syria bombing is a distraction tactic?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #3417
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So the best-case realistic scenario seems to be that he basically defers to Mattis in the military arena, Haley in the diplomatic, and Rubio & Co. in the political.

You also forgot the Jared and Ivanka team as the overall solution architects to tie the military, diplomatic and political together.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #3418
PilotMan
Head Coach

An attack on 1 airbase is the least of how Obama should have responded, but I don't believe that even this will matter that much in the grand scheme of the abilities of the Syrian govt to wage war on it's people.

..in the meantime....attack cost the Defense Department $14,750,000.

Here's What Firing 59 Tomahawk Missiles at Syria's Airfield Cost

"The proposed cuts, outlined in a 64-page budget memo revealed by The Washington Post on Friday, would roll back programs aimed at reducing lead risks by $16.61 million and more than 70 employees, in line with a broader project by the Trump administration to devolve responsibility for environmental and health protection to state and local governments."

Trump’s EPA moves to dismantle programs that protect kids from lead paint - The Washington Post

Just to keep things in perspective. In one night it cost almost as much as it would have cost to employ 70 people and help prevent lead poisoning in children for an entire year.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #3419
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
You also forgot the Jared and Ivanka team as the overall solution architects to tie the military, diplomatic and political together.
I said "best-case." I don't consider neophytes like them to be part of a best-case solution. I want Trump meeting alone with his Mattis, Haley, and Senate foreign-policy people and that team to be the proverbial "last voice he heard."
Old 04-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #3420
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
An attack on 1 airbase is the least of how Obama should have responded, but I don't believe that even this will matter that much in the grand scheme of the abilities of the Syrian govt to wage war on it's people.

..in the meantime....attack cost the Defense Department $14,750,000.

Here's What Firing 59 Tomahawk Missiles at Syria's Airfield Cost

"The proposed cuts, outlined in a 64-page budget memo revealed by The Washington Post on Friday, would roll back programs aimed at reducing lead risks by $16.61 million and more than 70 employees, in line with a broader project by the Trump administration to devolve responsibility for environmental and health protection to state and local governments."

Trump’s EPA moves to dismantle programs that protect kids from lead paint - The Washington Post

Just to keep things in perspective. In one night it cost almost as much as it would have cost to employ 70 people and help prevent lead poisoning in children for an entire year.

To be fair, if we don't use them, then we just wasted $14 million.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #3421
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm sure Bannon and Kushner (and Ivanka) are having fun with the cuck story.

Stephen Colbert Mocks Steve Bannon Over His Removal From National Security Council | The Huffington Post
Quote:
Stephen Colbert Mocks Steve Bannon Over His Removal From National Security Council
“That’s a TCM bro.”
Old 04-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #3422
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
To be fair, if we don't use them, then we just wasted $14 million.

The money will still be spent to replace them going forward. No worries there. That doesn't change anything.

Like Steam?

Old 04-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #3423
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm in full guarded support, with acknowledgement of the reality that Syria is a hot mess. It stinks to have to be the world's policeman, but when a dictator is gassing his own people, I want *someone* to respond, and no one else is going to do so. But with the complicated mess that Syria is, I strongly believe Trump's in over his head when it comes to navigating all of the ramifications as things unfold. He's definitely not going to listen to Pelosi, Sanders, or any Dem, and probably not even the Graham/McCain contingent of his own party that has been heavily critical of him. So the best-case realistic scenario seems to be that he basically defers to Mattis in the military arena, Haley in the diplomatic, and Rubio & Co. in the political.

Agreed with this. This response is probably the first thing Trump did as President that I agree with. However, I also fear that he doesn't know what do next.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #3424
Edward64
Head Coach

TBH, I don't think its good for Hillary to talk more about this right now. There is an investigation going on and we should wait to see the outcome.

Talk about other issues but talking about a subject that may be somewhat related to your loss seems to be sour grapes right now. Instead, let your allies be your voice.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politi...tion-meddling/
Quote:
Hillary Clinton referred to Russia's meddling in the 2016 US presidential election as an "act of aggression" on Thursday, in her most extended comments yet about a controversy that has consumed the earliest days of Donald Trump's presidency.

"I am deeply concerned about what went on with Russia," Clinton said at the "Women in the World" summit in New York City. "A foreign power meddled with our election and did so in a way that we are learning more about every single day."

The Russian hackings, she said, appeared to be a "more effective theft even than Watergate."

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-07-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #3425
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hillary can either do one of two things. She can shut the hell up and stay away in retirement or make personal attacks on Trump like he would do. Either of those are fine with me, anything else, especially cogent sounding policy editorials is wasted and unwanted.

Like Steam?

Old 04-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #3426
Ben E Lou

I realize I am an unashamed Haley fanboy. This does not decrease my level of fanboyhood.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #3427
Kodos
Resident Alien

Nice!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #3428
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #3429
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

"If there are no consequences for a president who unilaterally orders military action under all those conditions, what use is a Constitution that vests the legislature with the war power?"

Trump's Syria Strike Was Unconstitutional and Unwise

Just another intrusionist, nation building, warm mongering meddler in foreign affairs.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #3430
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"You are all hypocrites because you were (mad/happy) about (former President)'s actions and now are suddenly (mad/happy) about (current President)'s actions."

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #3431
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
"If there are no consequences for a president who unilaterally orders military action under all those conditions, what use is a Constitution that vests the legislature with the war power?"

Trump's Syria Strike Was Unconstitutional and Unwise

Just another intrusionist, nation building, warm mongering meddler in foreign affairs.

Are we pretending this action is in any way not been standard practice for Presidents for the last 50-60 years?

I don't agree with bombing Syria at all, but unless The Atlantic shook the Constitution at Clinton and Obama for doing the same damn thing, they can just bugger right off.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #3432
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I realize I am an unashamed Haley fanboy. This does not decrease my level of fanboyhood.

I think its more likely they wanted it private so they could ask the US wtf without Trump reacting badly ...

I haven't seen much in the media about the fact that contrary to their assertions chemical weapons attacks aren't anything new in this war - BOTH sides have used them during the six years the war has been going on, apparently over 150 times so far.

I detest war and especially the use of chemical weapons but this is far from a black and white situation and I fail to see what the strikes will do to improve the situation?

(and I'm kinda terrified that we have a president who apparently is as likely to request on a military strike because of a news report as much as he is to do a tweet ...)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #3433
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Remember when Van Jones said "he became President" a month or so ago and how that went??? Well, here ya go!!!

Old 04-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #3434
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

--
Leon Kodak: Yes sir. But it can be, sir. What you did tonight was very presidential.

President Andrew Shepherd: Leon, somewhere in Libya right now, a janitor's working the night shift at Libyan Intelligence headquarters. He's going about doing his job... because he has no idea that in about an hour he's going to die in a massive explosion. He's just going about his job, because he has no idea that about an hour ago I gave an order to have him killed. You've just seen me do the least presidential thing I do.
--
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #3435
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
"You are all hypocrites because you were (mad/happy) about (former President)'s actions and now are suddenly (mad/happy) about (current President)'s actions."

What happens if you were happy about former President's actions and are suddenly happy because current President is doing what former President did or wanted to do?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-07-2017 at 11:05 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #3436
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

The biggest win for Trump may be this headline:
"Kremlin Says Syria Missile Strike Harms U.S.-Russia Relations"

What better way to prove you are not under the influence and beholden to Russia
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #3437
cuervo72
Head Coach

Liked this comment to a 538 post on the bombing:

Quote:
I think what you meant to say was that the Syria strike is his biggest smoke & mirrors show since he assumed the office. It's no coincidence that there's a *lot* of negative going on in the WH right now, or that we warned the Reds who then warned the Syrians so that this was nothing more than a big flashy ninja smoke bomb.

I don't know if that's what this was, but I sure wouldn't doubt it. We'll see if this is just a one-off or if there is any policy behind it.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #3438
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Last night, Trump was going to set off a proxy war with the Russians. Then the WH announced that they warned the Russians in advance. Now, that's evidence that Trump is Putin's puppet.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #3439
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, there was a worry that Trump wouldn't have the foresight to realize that hey, the Russians might not like it if we bombed Syrian assets while Russians were there. I don't think that was a completely invalid concern.

It's a bit of a Catch-22, but with the warning you wonder how much this really does. If the end result is just a bunch of potholes in one of what are many facilities while you puff out your chest and say "RARRRR, I DID SOMETHING!" then what's the point? Well, we showed Assad! We convinced him to go back to not using nerve gas (like he had done since 2013), but hey, by all means continue on otherwise.

Watching what the Russians do here might be interesting. If they shake their fist and condemn this but then go back to business as usual, could be that they (and Assad) are cool with it. Let Trump have his moment, then carry on.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #3440
cuervo72
Head Coach

dola: and if nothing else, look who is on-board now? The only two Rs who have been doing meaningful grousing about Trump - McCain and Graham.*

* Little Marco really doesn't count
Old 04-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #3441
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Courtesy of the brilliant Lego Grad Student--

Committee: Your dissertation is a sham.

Me: [Bomb airbase with 59 missiles]

Committee: Well, this changes things...

=========

Don't be this committee. #phdistracted

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-07-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #3442
Ben E Lou

Don't we have an agreement of some sort with the Russians to let them know about military activity?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #3443
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Yes and immediately after the action, when we did warn them, Russia allegedly shut down the agreement and comm lines
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #3444
AlexB
Pro Starter

If you want a conspiracy theory, Trump tweeted his condolences a full 6 weeks early...

Are all these attacks US coordinated to justify policy regarding the Middle East? #prayforsweden

Stockholm lorry rams crowds, killing 'at least three people' - BBC News

The answer is obviously not, but a strange coincidence nonetheless
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #3445
Ben E Lou

Rumors that Bannon and/or Reince may be out.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #3446
Kodos
Resident Alien

One can only hope it's at least Bannon. Reince isn't evil incarnate.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #3447
Easy Mac

Word is war planes have been taking off from the Syria location we bombed... so... success!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #3448
Atocep
Coordinator

With the number of people that forget about meetings with Russian diplomats/officials they must have some Men in Black technology we don't know about.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #3449
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Word is war planes have been taking off from the Syria location we bombed... so... success!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Welp, there go those Raytheon stock gains :/
Old 04-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #3450
PilotMan
Head Coach

Having a feeling that this strike will go down the way that a lot of remote strikes have gone down in the past, ineffective and considered underwhelming. It'll go down as something that people chuckle about as some kind of face saving by the administration.

Like Steam?