Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2017, 05:30 AM   #17251
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Having lived here--less than 2 miles as the crow flies from a local shipping hub--I should have learned to simply stop checking UPS tracking. Knowing that my coveted item made it to town yesterday morning and isn't going to be delivered until Monday does nothing but add irritation to my life.

Location Date Local Time Activity
Greensboro, NC, United States 11/23/2017 9:31 A.M. Arrival Scan
Horsham, PA, United States 11/22/2017 11:10 P.M. Departure Scan

11/22/2017 8:27 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 11/22/2017 8:27 A.M. (ET) Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Scheduled Delivery:
Monday, 11/27/2017 , By End of Day

Old 11-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #17252
PilotMan
Head Coach

back in the day when you had to mail order, or if I was lucky I could convince my mom to place an order over the phone, then wait an additional 6 to 8 weeks for my Strat package with all the incredible goodies in it, I think I was happier that I couldn't check the status every 30 minutes. As soon as that package showed up I was the happiest kid in town and I'd hide away for the rest of the day if I could get away with it.

I think the not knowing made it arriving that much sweeter.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #17253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Having lived here--less than 2 miles as the crow flies from a local shipping hub--I should have learned to simply stop checking UPS tracking. Knowing that my coveted item made it to town yesterday morning and isn't going to be delivered until Monday does nothing but add irritation to my life.

Looks like it got there too late to get on the truck today but it looks like it would be one that you ought to be able to pick up (size permitting of course).
Old 11-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #17254
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

http://www.complex.com/life/2017/11/...y-twitter-flub

McTweet!

(Wendy's comment wins)
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #17255
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Scheduled Delivery:

Patriotic undies?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #17256
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Somehow the same Days Inn outside of Nashville has both a guy whose truck + bass boat is blocking almost the entire parking lot and a McDonald's that has the Signature Sriracha sandwich.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-24-2017 at 07:01 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #17257
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Scheduled Delivery:

Figured that the Yankees had something to do with it.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #17258
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm going to have to think about that one
Old 11-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #17259
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Did you ever wonder if Fonzie was Canadian? Happy Days was set in Milwaukee, so it's not too far fetched that the character was secretly not American and his catchphrase was an acknowledgement of that.

Also, Arkansas sucks. The moment I left Tennessee and went into Arkansas, I-40 turned into a trainwreck. Easily the worst maintained interstate highways I've ever encountered. I-30 was even worse with a 22 mile active work zone before Texarkana on the freaking Saturday after Thanksgiving. Added more than an hour to the second leg of my move to Lubbock. As soon as I crossed the line into Texas, I-30 was suddenly perfectly smooth and traffic picked back up. To top it off, there was exactly 1 open rest area on I-40 and 0 on I-30. If I ever have to do the trip again, I'm going to find a way to go around Arkansas completely.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #17260
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Heh. It showed up yesterday afternoon. Looks like somebody is GSO figured out that it didn't need to sit there for four days.

LocationDateLocal TimeActivity
GREENSBORO, NC, US 11/25/2017 4:04 P.M. Delivered

11/25/2017 8:19 A.M. Out For Delivery Today
Greensboro, NC, United States 11/24/2017 12:16 P.M. Destination Scan

It was the Garmin from the Black Friday thread. I got it so cheaply I was worried that I misread something and it would be an Explorer or a refurb. Nope, it's the real deal Edge 1000 and brand new. Almost *has* to be a temporary screw-up at that price.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-26-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #17261
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Really excited about the new Tesla semi truck and what Rich guys with endless amounts of money will do to create custom Vehicles based on the platform. They'll be some cool stuff out there I'm sure.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #17262
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I have the best record in my fantasy football league at 7-4-1, yet I am dead last in scoring. 7th worst is 50 ahead of me. I am 300 behind the leader. Go figure.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #17263
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I have the best record in my fantasy football league at 7-4-1, yet I am dead last in scoring. 7th worst is 50 ahead of me. I am 300 behind the leader. Go figure.

Defense wins championships.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #17264
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

I had the opposite happen to me 2 years in a row. I was the highest scoring team in my league and finished second to last missing the playoffs both years. This is why I stopped playing Fantasy Football...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #17265
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Defense wins championships.

ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #17266
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'll never understand why H2H is the default standard for fantasy football, when every H2H league has at least one person get fucked over every single season. H2H only serves to randomize the standings, and yet most folks still find 'total points' based scoring offensive for some reason. I've been in a total points for 19+ years now, and nobody's ever had a complaint about the scoring or felt fucked over.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-29-2017 at 04:20 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #17267
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know I've mentioned it before probably but a league that gives 1 point per week to the winners and 1 point to the top half scoring teams makes more sense than just w/L. Or just everyone plays everyone each week makes more sense than random h2h
Old 11-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #17268
Suicane75
Coordinator

Mamas Family was surreal in the early 90's. Now it's like an acid trip.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #17269
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Mama's Family may be some of the worst television ever created. I'd rather watch the entire run of Madame's Place than 15 minutes of Mama's Family, which somehow wandered into drama territory MUCH MORE than any show starring Harvey Korman had any right to do.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-29-2017 at 08:50 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #17270
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Suddenlink's channel lineup in Lubbock seems to have no discernible pattern and I can't figure out how to order PPV. Thankfully the 1 gb internet speed works perfectly.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #17271
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'll never understand why H2H is the default standard for fantasy football, when every H2H league has at least one person get fucked over every single season. H2H only serves to randomize the standings, and yet most folks still find 'total points' based scoring offensive for some reason. I've been in a total points for 19+ years now, and nobody's ever had a complaint about the scoring or felt fucked over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know I've mentioned it before probably but a league that gives 1 point per week to the winners and 1 point to the top half scoring teams makes more sense than just w/L. Or just everyone plays everyone each week makes more sense than random h2h

+1
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #17272
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Peggy Sue Gerron, of Buddy Holly fame, is still living in Lubbock. If you have $20 she'll sign an autograph and give you a tour of her memorabilia from her time with him.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #17273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And after one of the strangest HS football games I can recall, Athens Academy advances to the state championship next Friday at the Mercedes-Benz Dome.

Enough weirdness for a Halloween week game, we hold on to beat Mt Paran 14-7. They blocked our punt on the final play around our own 30something with :04 left at the snap ... but the ball went straight up in the air and stayed aloft until time expired.

Our game-winning TD came on a scoop-and-score early in q3, on a play where our DL sacked their QB, somehow got the ref tangled up in the play, the ball came loose .... and a skinny linebacker scooped it up and "ran as fast as I could toward the end zone".

Just a wacky f'n game all around.

The reward for all this? A date with 2x defending state champ Eagle's Landing Christian. In the playoffs this season, through three games, they've outscored their opponents 164-0. It's, umm, gonna be tough. But, Spartans, you're #BenzBound baby.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:41 AM   #17274
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Peggy Sue Gerron, of Buddy Holly fame, is still living in Lubbock. If you have $20 she'll sign an autograph and give you a tour of her memorabilia from her time with him.

Big deal. For $20 any Lubbock resident will talk your ear off about Buddy Holly.

For $40, they won't.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #17275
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Big deal. For $20 any Lubbock resident will talk your ear off about Buddy Holly.

For $40, they won't.

Glad I have $40. Legendary Stardust Cowboy and Kenneth Copeland however...
Old 12-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #17276
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And after one of the strangest HS football games I can recall, Athens Academy advances to the state championship next Friday at the Mercedes-Benz Dome.

Enough weirdness for a Halloween week game, we hold on to beat Mt Paran 14-7. They blocked our punt on the final play around our own 30something with :04 left at the snap ... but the ball went straight up in the air and stayed aloft until time expired.

Our game-winning TD came on a scoop-and-score early in q3, on a play where our DL sacked their QB, somehow got the ref tangled up in the play, the ball came loose .... and a skinny linebacker scooped it up and "ran as fast as I could toward the end zone".

Just a wacky f'n game all around.

The reward for all this? A date with 2x defending state champ Eagle's Landing Christian. In the playoffs this season, through three games, they've outscored their opponents 164-0. It's, umm, gonna be tough. But, Spartans, you're #BenzBound baby.

ELCA has a higher recruiting budget than Georgia Southern .
Want to see some letters from them?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #17277
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
ELCA has a higher recruiting budget than Georgia Southern .
Want to see some letters from them?

lol, I'm somewhat familiar with their ... approach.
And, in fairness, they probably have a better football team than GSU at this point too

We played them once, at their place, back in '09. Lost 23-18 in the opening round. They had started the process of, umm, "upgrading" their football program at that point. (they lost in R2 in '09, R3 in '10, semifinals in '11, and won their first title in '12).

Since our only meeting, they've won 3 state titles, been in 4 title games, 8 region titles, 52 straight region games, and this is their 7th straight final four or better.

I honestly can't imagine we've got anything for them this year :/
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #17278
Suicane75
Coordinator

There should be a mental illness classification for the way people buy stuff at Christmas that will be of no use to them or anyone else, but hey, it's Christmas, gifts!
Old 12-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #17279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The final from the Benz, ELCA 41-3 over Athens Academy.

We got outgained 420-22, we did not manage a first down the entire game
(they started throwing the ball in the closing minutes up 41-0, we got an INT to set up our only score).

And you know what, I couldn't be any prouder of our guys.

Played as hard at the end as they did at the start. This was simply a physical mismatch of pretty epic proportions. Post-game comment from our junior QB were about "knowing how far we have to go to compete against those guys" and "starting to work now to get back here next year". That's a 17 year old who gets it, and there are never too many of those around.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #17280
Edward64
Head Coach

When a dentist asks the assistant for suction, it means your gums are bleeding.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-08-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #17281
molson
General Manager

My car got totaled by a 17-year old girl running a red light. Fortunately, several witnesses stopped to talk to the police when they got there and she was cited, that makes everything run more smoothly, with less stress.

Insurance was great - I'm always surprised how well I do with insurance. They valued my car at more than I paid for it used a year ago.

But looking for a new car sucks. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but around here, no car salesman will answer specific questions over email. You want to know about a price, about incentives, about how much you can get the car out the door - no, they won't answer, they just want you come in. So I'm not going to come in.

I'm sure there's a legit thought process behind this, and that whatever system they use works, but I personally just want to hear something specific that makes me want to come in. I don't need to test-drive, I don't need to negotiate, I don't want to consider options - respond to my email with a specific price I can live with and I'm going in and buying a car as fast as humanly possible. And I made the mistake of throwing my email and phone number out there on TrueCar and similar sites, so I have all these vague voicemails and emails telling me I need to come in, again with no specifics.

If Papa John's texts me and offers me a specific and great pizza deal, well shit, I might go in and pick up a pizza if I'm in the mood for pizza. If they text me and tell me I should go in there and talk generally about pizza, I'm not going to do it.

Last edited by molson : 12-08-2017 at 11:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #17282
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

But looking for a new car sucks. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but around here, no car salesman will answer specific questions over email. You want to know about a price, about incentives, about how much you can get the car out the door - no, they won't answer, they just want you come in. So I'm not going to come in.

I'm sure there's a legit thought process behind this, and that whatever system they use works, but I personally just want to hear something specific that makes me want to come in. I don't need to test-drive, I don't need to negotiate, I don't want to consider options - respond to my email with a specific price I can live with and I'm going in and buying a car as fast as humanly possible. And I made the mistake of throwing my email and phone number out there on TrueCar and similar sites, so I have all these vague voicemails and emails telling me I need to come in, again with no specifics.

Try calling and dealing straight directly with the sales manager. Be straight with what you're looking for and what you are spending and supposedly that will cut straight through a lot of the bs. I've never tried that, but it's what I've heard. They can also contact you if they find something that fits your needs.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #17283
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've had mixed experiences. Some get you in and then basically bait and switch you to a more expensive car. I have been lucky to find a couple (not that we buy cars more than twice a decade) that are willing to basically work a deal for you by phone and e-mail and will minimally dick you around. That may be rare though, and it's possible I just got lucky.

It may help to widen your search area though, if that's at all possible. I bought my current car from a place up in Harrisburg. Never set foot in their showroom -- saw a car posted online, they told me it was sold. Replied that that was too bad, and thanks, I'll continue looking elsewhere. They basically told me they'd find one with the same specs and offer it to me for the same price. It took them driving one over from NJ (which...yeah, wasn't thrilled to get it with 500 miles on it, but whatever). Worked out the deal, they delivered it to my (then) work office in Gettysburg. They still stuck me with $100-$200 extra in "fees" after I thought it was agreed they were rolled into the purchase price (hence MINIMAL dickery, still was some) but overall I was still good with the deal.

I think it helped that I had:

1. no trade-in
2. outside financing already available (credit union)
3. a number of other dealerships just for that nameplate in the general area (and by general, I mean pretty much the entire state of MD, parts of PA, WV, VA)
4. it was at the end of the month
5. the car wasn't the current model year

Make no mistake, I'm sure they still made money on the deal. But I was in a position where I could easily say no to folks and they had good incentive to move a bonus car.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-09-2017 at 11:08 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #17284
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

We just recently (August) went through the process for my first time, basically ever. For years when I had my contracting business I ran 20+ trucks so I "had a guy" and he made it easy.

Now I didnt have a guy but knew exactly what I (she) wanted. I emailed about 12 dealers up to around 3 hours away. I told them:
I knew what I wanted and was very particular.
I had the money and would not need credit approval and offered to send a proof of funds letter from my bank if desired.
I wanted a fair deal and minimal hassle.
To send me their absolute best out the door price on what we wanted.
I even said "I will be bringing a certified cashier's check to purchase. If the price changes $5 I will walk away"

I cant remember the exact breakdown but if the initial number was 12 then maybe 4 never responded or I got a automated response. Then a few more responded personally and sincerely but gave me eat shit offers. Ultimately 3 of them wanted our business and either had or found me a car. I struck a deal with one an hour before the guy I most enjoyed dealing with (prompt, courteous, candid, no fluff but personable) called me to tell me he had found our car. I honored my word and told the guy I liked sorry but I had already made a deal. Drove down to pick up the car and there were sudden dealer add ons (paint protection WTF and mudflaps) that cost $700 more. Siting in that dealers office I called the other sales rep and said "So these guys I made a deal with are jerking me around. Your offer still good?"

They tried to wipe out the dealer add ons but I drove an hour away and bought from the guy who had treated me well from the get go.

It still wasnt without hassle but I condensed the actual buying experience to 1 day.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #17285
bob
College Starter

40 hours without power now. Fuck CobbEMC
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #17286
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Driving to work today, I saw a bumper sticker that said "Love your kids? Buckle them up."

I agree with the sentiment. But is the idea of buckling your kids up at all controversial anymore? It strikes me as kind of a "Want to stay hydrated? Drink lots of water." kind of sentiment.

But maybe I'm missing something. Is there some sort of movement out there that's still against seat belts?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #17287
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought the counter-campaign of "If you love someone, set them free" was interesting.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #17288
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
40 hours without power now. Fuck CobbEMC

fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC, fuck Cobb EMC
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #17289
cuervo72
Head Coach

Governor Granholm is a rather handsome woman.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #17290
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Driving to work today, I saw a bumper sticker that said "Love your kids? Buckle them up."

I agree with the sentiment. But is the idea of buckling your kids up at all controversial anymore? It strikes me as kind of a "Want to stay hydrated? Drink lots of water." kind of sentiment.

But maybe I'm missing something. Is there some sort of movement out there that's still against seat belts?

When I lived in Memphis, it never failed to amaze me how many kids were not in car seats. In Ohio, there is the occasional kid not in a car seat, but the number is far lower. However, I never thought that a bumper sticker would make much of a difference.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #17291
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but I'm not feeling Jeff Glor, CBS.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 PM   #17292
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm not judging, but someone needs to tell the wife in that IS Turbo commercial that her husband is clearly gay.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #17293
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is that the one with the guy with the pink/red pants who does the knee slide? If so, yes.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #17294
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I guess no secret santa this year
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #17295
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Is that the one with the guy with the pink/red pants who does the knee slide? If so, yes.

That's the one.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #17296
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I guess no secret santa this year

I'll be your secret santa.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:06 AM   #17297
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ah crap. I messed that up, huh?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #17298
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Finally!!

Chuck E. Cheese's pizza delivery is here for the Bay Area - SFGate
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #17299
cuervo72
Head Coach

I would order this.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #17300
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Star Wars Nissan advert with the young asian girl and dad says "It stopped for you..." and they both look surprised - it's a good fucking thing it stopped for you, because this is a crosswalk with 15 pedestrians and you'd be up on multiple death by dangerous driving charges otherwise.

Also, is it wrong of me to think that it's just a little bit racist that it's a young Asian female to begin with?

Last edited by bhlloy : 12-16-2017 at 03:20 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote